Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ethics of breeding #483421
02/21/08 01:05 PM
02/21/08 01:05 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

To me, breeding is something that one should seriously consider. And that goes for any animal. I would never breed dogs or cats or rabbits simply because there are too many being put down out there. The same situation applies to suggies, I know, but I still wish to have one successful litter, and then have Keito neutered. I am willing to keep the babies forever if I find no satisfactory home, and I am ready to care for any abandoned babies. However, the ethics of breeding still bother me, and I cannot in good conscience allow them to procreate until I've worked out what exactly will happen, and what exactly should happen. I find the truth being that I'm probably not going to rescue gliders actively for quite a few more years, until I've really gotten the hang of dealing with gliders that may have issues. So it most likely would not make a difference for me. But for others who might have rescued, and end up getting one of my gliders...?

I want your opinion on this. Am I just over-thinking the entire thing, or is there a serious ethics issue to be considered? What about for you, personally?

Re: Ethics of breeding [Re: ] #483427
02/21/08 01:16 PM
02/21/08 01:16 PM
Herkimer (Utica), New York
bethanyg Offline
Glider Lover
bethanyg  Offline
Glider Lover

Herkimer (Utica), New York
I think that that is a good way to think about it =]

Bethany*me
Rick*Brother
Mom and Dad
The dogs Major and Admiral
The snake Matilda
Petrey my suggie boy and my little girl fuzzbutt Aurora
RIP Icarus :rbridge:
Re: Ethics of breeding [Re: ] #483429
02/21/08 01:17 PM
02/21/08 01:17 PM

R
Rhapsody
Unregistered
Rhapsody
Unregistered
R

In what specific area of glider ethics are you concerned about... or is it just the over all issue of breeding them?

Re: Ethics of breeding [Re: ] #483455
02/21/08 01:49 PM
02/21/08 01:49 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

breeding... and overpopulation... rescues... etc.

Re: Ethics of breeding [Re: ] #483572
02/21/08 04:02 PM
02/21/08 04:02 PM

L
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
L

I think the issues you are bringing up are the SAME issues everyone should think about when concidering breeding..

To me, breeding seems pointless unless you plan on "bettering" the breed.. Many people breed for colors and such, and that is the ONLY time breeding makes sense, because other wise, those color variations could disappear.. Otherwise, taking in a rescue would be more "helpful" to the situation..

Although, having one litter after carefully contemplating all of the BAD things that can happen, it not nessesarily going to put the overpopulation WAY over..

You just have to think to yourself.. do you really believe one person can make a difference? I do. And it goes both ways.. one person can make a difference for teh better OR the worse..

It is a matter of your own personal wants and needs.. I would think that just having one "litter" to keep to yourself would be better than selling.. although there is never a guarantee that the people you are going to sell to would get a rescue had you not sold to them

the REAL issue with the overpopulation comes from impulse buyers, and hobby breeders USUALLY will not sell to an impulse buyer because their suggies are pets before they are money makers... Those who breed for money (and they are NOT ALL MILLS) are the ones who contribute to the issue because they do NOT stress the need to neuter, and they do NOT educate the people on their serious daily needs.. and they either end up having babies that end up in rescues, OR the original ones end up in rescues.

So if you have ONE "litter" dont beat yourself up.. IF you REALLY want one, do it - and do it responsibly.. educate everyone.. even those that see your babies and go "OH I WANT ONE!"

Re: Ethics of breeding [Re: ] #483584
02/21/08 04:29 PM
02/21/08 04:29 PM
Northeast TN bordering VA/NC
Bubbles8i8 Offline
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northeast TN bordering VA/NC
Breeding gliders that go to good forever homes does not add to the number of rescue gliders, nor does it take away homes from gliders that are in rescues. Some people want joeys and wouldn't adopt a rescue, anyway.

I think as long as you have good, forever homes lined up, or you are prepared to keep all the babies you produce, and you are ready for the physical, emotional and financial aspects of breeding, then you could breed in good conscience.

Jenny tounge

Wife to Josh, Mom to Taylor heart

:glider: Coo & Chimera
:glider: Ruckus & Mayhem
:glider: Adonis & Persephone & Aphrodite
www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Cages, Toys, Wheels, Pouches, Treats
Re: Ethics of breeding [Re: ] #483622
02/21/08 04:55 PM
02/21/08 04:55 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
Originally Posted By: LindsayAnnG

...even those that see your babies and go "OH I WANT ONE!"

I spend more time talking people OUT fo buying a glider than anything else.
People go "aw, they're so cute. I want one!"
I reply "you probley don't. They are nocturanl, up all night, specially prepared food, barking, bonding, money, blah, blah, blah."
I always list thier bad traits first because I feel that if I still have thier attention after all the negatives, they might be a good sugga-momma or dadda.

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: Ethics of breeding [Re: krysKritters] #483664
02/21/08 05:33 PM
02/21/08 05:33 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

In terms of whether or not you should breed based on the overpopulation factor is something only YOU can decide based on ethics.

If you responsibly breed your gliders once and find their joeys good homes, and then neuter your gliders, are you having a huge impact on the glider population? Not really.

But, if you think about it...if everyone who had a pair wanted to let them breed just once...we would have a LOT more gliders in this world needing homes. And think about, let's say your mating produces a pair of joeys. Those joeys may go on to produce more joeys, who may go on to have more joeys, etc.

So, would your impact be as big as somebody who is a "breeder" and breeds regularly? No. But realize it could be substantial I guess in its own right.

I do find it interesting that you say you wouldn't breed dogs or cats or rabbits because there are too many put down. You are right, there are many of these animals euthanized because there aren't enough homes for them. But there are also many gliders who need good homes, and overpopulation is a substantial and growing problem in the glider community too. I would argue that glider overpopulation is a unique and even more difficult situation because I feel it is easier to place a dog, cat, or rabbit than it is to place a glider in an appropriate home because they need such special care.

In the end, it's a decision only you can make. Please understand I am not bashing breeders and I'm not bashing you if you breed your gliders once. My first two gliders came from breeders, and without breeders we wouldn't have gliders as pets over here at all. I respect that you are thinking about breeding carefully before jumping in and letting your gliders breed. Best of luck with your decision hug2

Re: Ethics of breeding [Re: ] #483710
02/21/08 06:04 PM
02/21/08 06:04 PM

E
eliphunt
Unregistered
eliphunt
Unregistered
E

After having researched suggies for about a year, I finally felt comfortable and knowledgable enough to take on the responsibility of providing a forever home to a pair of joeys. I am having my male neutered before he even comes home. I have seen way too many ads in hoobly and C-list of people trying to rehome their 1 and 2 year old gliders. All my friends reactions where..."oh I want one, are you planning on breding?" I straight out told every NO. That if they wanted one they needed to dedicate the time to educate themselves prior to attesting to "I have had pets all my life, how difficult could this possibly be?".

I personally bought my suggies from a breeder in Florida and she too, put me through the test before deciding if she would sell to me and honestly, I am glad that she did. She mentioned the pros and cons of having an intact male at home with a female and left the decision entirely up to me. However, I must metion that she was delighted when I told her that I prefered to have him neutured.

I am glad to see that you are taking everyones opinion to heart before deciding whether or not breeding is something that you want to do. I personally just dont have the heart to sell any of my babies..which is why I also never bred my show quality dogs.

Good luck and I wish you the best, with whatever it is that you decide to do.

Re: Ethics of breeding [Re: ] #487223
02/25/08 07:01 PM
02/25/08 07:01 PM
USA
sweetheart26 Offline
Glider Addict
sweetheart26  Offline
Glider Addict

USA
you also want too make sure you pair the right gliders together..you dont want them to be related too each other..i always ask too see a family line before i consider geting that glider..

mom to sugar gliders storm,thunder,lighting,snowball,rosebud,winter,string,summer fall and sweet.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024