Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again #511000
03/23/08 12:51 AM
03/23/08 12:51 AM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

So some of you guys know I got my sweet little Lillie from Perfect Pocket Pets and the day after I got her she was sick. The vet diagnosed her with severe Giardia. Things seemed to be getting better not 100% but pretty close and the vet said she was good when we took her the other day. I just went to pick her up and shes covered in really bad diarrhea again. It smells really bad like when she first got sick. My poor little baby has been through so much. I called the vet and they said since she was just taken off her antibiotics to restart them and keep an eye on her and bring her in Monday unless she gets alot worse or exibits signs of anything abnormal in behavior. She just spent 3 weeks on this antibiotic and I take her off and shes bad again? I just feel so awful for her she should be better by now and I am scared she won't ever be. Is there anything you guys can suggest that will make her more comfy? She's still very playful and I switched her plain water back to a half and half mix of pedialite and water. Am I doing something wrong? Please keep her in your prayers she's just so tiny and precious to me and already almost passed on me the first time I love her so much!

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511003
03/23/08 12:55 AM
03/23/08 12:55 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Giardia is very difficult to get rid of. You will need to be very diligent about keeping things clean and such, and even if you're perfect it can still come back. I have not had this, but know several who have, and have had to re-treat several times. I know it's hard, honey, I had to do meds twice a day for 75 days, all in a row. 50 with one glider and 15 with 3 others. The one was staph, and we had to be ultra diligent about wiping everything down. Many times a day. I think its almost harder on us than it is them.
You are being a good mom, and will get through this.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511005
03/23/08 12:57 AM
03/23/08 12:57 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I'm wondering if she needs to be put on another antibiotic. What is she getting now (just the name, not the dose)?
In the meantime, just make sure she is getting plenty of fluids. You can try and offer her a little oatmeal (not the quick cook or instant) or canned pumpkin (without the spices, just the plain) to try and firm up her stools.
I feel terrible for you and Lillie, sending lots of hugs and prayers your way. hug2

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: USMom] #511008
03/23/08 12:59 AM
03/23/08 12:59 AM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

Thanks I just feel awful shes so small only 35 grams I just hope she can get through it. She's my little baby and I love her so much. I clean her cage out every single day! Should I be bleaching it and cleaning that way every day would that help? I am willing to do whatever it takes! I don't know what I would do without her!

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: LSardou] #511012
03/23/08 01:05 AM
03/23/08 01:05 AM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

Thanks for all the help shes on Metronidazole (i think thats how its spelled) Would baby mixed cereal work? I don't have any of the other stuff and the store is already closed. She is eating I gave her a treat tonight to make sure she got baby chicken and a small peice of apple and half a baby carrot and some mealies... gotta fatten her up! I tried bananas with her and she loves them only the organic kind though but it didn't help. I try to do everything right once I realized it wasn't much more to buy organic I bought everything organic for her I take her the vet I just feel bad.

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511017
03/23/08 01:11 AM
03/23/08 01:11 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
You should be washing her cage/pouches/toys on a regular basis. If you use bleach, make sure that you mix it 1 part bleach to 2 parts water (1 cup bleach- 2 cups water). Make sure that her cage and the surrounding surface is dry before exposing her. Her toys (plastic) can be soaked in hot water and bleach as well. Her pouches/blankies/or other fabrics should be washed in hot water.
Make sure that you wash your hands throughly before and after touching her and especially when fixing her food. hug2

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: LSardou] #511019
03/23/08 01:13 AM
03/23/08 01:13 AM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

I was just using baby wipes. I had no idea. I was washing all the bedding toys and shirts in the hottest of hot waters that my washer can handle though... so I got it half right? I am going to get it right clean it out and make her better so help me!

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511025
03/23/08 01:20 AM
03/23/08 01:20 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
What shirts?

You can use clorox wipes for the cage cleaning. And bleach it once a week. I changed Coops pouch every single day. Sometimes more if he pooped in it. He hated me for a while! LOL. The hot water is good, just add some bleach, too. And hot dryer.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: USMom] #511027
03/23/08 01:22 AM
03/23/08 01:22 AM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

she always gets a fresh one of my tshirts every night to sleep on... so that she smells me whatever I wore around the house or to bed that night.

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511035
03/23/08 01:30 AM
03/23/08 01:30 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Okay, that has to stop while she is sick. You have her germs on it from the day, and that might reinfect her. Does she have a pouch?
Another alternative (I am doing this right now with a new baby) is to use your sleep shirt. But, not in the cage. Use it to cover the top. Use the one you sleep in, or take one and put it in bed with you and use it. Make sure it is clean except for having been in your bed.

Shawna

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: USMom] #511039
03/23/08 01:41 AM
03/23/08 01:41 AM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

That makes sense. I wouldn't have even thought about that. She doesn't have a sleeping pouch just a bonding pouch. I tried to make pouches but well Im not good at it! I guess I need to just buy some

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511040
03/23/08 01:42 AM
03/23/08 01:42 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Giardia is transmitted via the wet stool. The eggs are ingested by mouth when the glider is eating or washing itself.

Bedding such as pouches and blankies... dry in the dryer as the Heat will kill the germ. Food dishes and water bottle must be cleaned with a solution of 1 cup of Bleach in a Gallon of Very Hot Water... then rinsed and let air dry for two hours.

Cage: Must be kept Clean at all times during the illness. Any wet stool must be cleaned ASAP and with the above Bleach Solution and then wiped with a clean wet cloth. If glider can reach the litter tray to forage for old food... clean it daily also.

As to diet: I would put the baby on the BML diet plan. Eleminate fruits for the time being and offer only mixed veggies. Fruit may aggrivate her already irritated GI tract. Can offer Apples instead.

Often suggested treatment with Metrodiazole (Flagyl) is treated for seven days and then stop for seven days. Repeated two more times. Treatment is done this way to get any unhatched egges during treatment with med that will hatch afterwords. Total days of med for three rounds is 21 days.

If glider has messy pooh on her fur and tail... suggest you use a tad bit of baby shampoo and warm water and wash her back end and tail in the bathroom sink and then followed with clear warm water to rinse. Dry her in a hand towel and put her down your shirt till she is dry. Clean bathroom sink area then with bleach solution.

With med and good hygine the bug should be gone within a month. hug2 hug2

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: Judie] #511055
03/23/08 02:18 AM
03/23/08 02:18 AM
home
O
ORsuggiemomma Offline
Glider Slave
ORsuggiemomma  Offline
Glider Slave
O

home
awww, how sad. I hope she gets better soon! sounds like you are a good parent though! good luck to you both!

Wifey to heart Frankstone heart
Mother to~ mloveNathan(5) and mloveDrea(3)
and slave to 4 perfect sugar gliders:glider:
Lightning
Mater
Trinity
Eilonwy
Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ORsuggiemomma] #511065
03/23/08 02:43 AM
03/23/08 02:43 AM

C
chrailee
Unregistered
chrailee
Unregistered
C

good luck to the both of you.

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511081
03/23/08 03:40 AM
03/23/08 03:40 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
make sure your getting the matro medication in her and she is not spitting it out also. how i give meds is measure the amount the vet said in syringe. put it then in about an eigth tsp yoplait custard style strawberry yogurt and then scoop it up with my first finger and let her lick it off your finger but this must be done carefully so she gets every drop. its less stressful than forcing it and they all love that flavor yogurt. but it must be the custard style not the other by yoplait. and this will also help coat her stomach with the benefical bacteria lost from the meds. store this med in refrigerator

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: the gliders angel] #511107
03/23/08 06:20 AM
03/23/08 06:20 AM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

Thank you guys for all your well wishes! she has learned to LOVE her medicine. She knows afterwards she gets her mealies and will do Anything for those! I had no idea that I needed to bleach everything down and stuff so thats probably part of the problem. I am going to take your advice and thanks so much for the good wishes. She's still got plenty of energy. Ran around for quite some time last night and my daughter woke me at 5 with the Easter Bunny the Easter Bunny! So I am worn out! I tried the BML when we first switched from what (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets gave us I tried and tried but she wasn't havin it! She loves Suncoast and after all the poor lil bits been through I don't dare change it at least I know shes eating. I will change the fruit to apples and veggies though for awhile till shes doing better! I am going to get some pumpkin or oatmeal today so that at least I know that might help with some of it. She's drinking a whole lot of water/pedialite and doesn't appear to be dehydrated so thats a good thing. I am going to bleach and clean everything today and every day maybe more than once a day! I will get rid of this somehow! I think to be safe I am going to bring her back to the vet on Monday and see if she needs to have her meds switched just see "how bad" it is! Thank you guys so much for your help! I hope you have a happy easter!

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511114
03/23/08 06:56 AM
03/23/08 06:56 AM

L
ltlrdangel
Unregistered
ltlrdangel
Unregistered
L

So, is Giardia the equivalent of C. diff in humans???

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511119
03/23/08 07:12 AM
03/23/08 07:12 AM

T
TammyH
Unregistered
TammyH
Unregistered
T

I haven't been following all this, so forgive me if I'm being repetitive. If you purchased from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets then you must have rec'd a heat rock. If you haven't been advised to get rid of it and use a pouch instead- please do so!! The heat can also cause the bacteria to multiply and spread.

I'm in the Tampa Bay area too!
What vet are you using? I found a couple good ones.

Good luck!! I hope Lillie recovers soon!
Happy Easter.

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511162
03/23/08 10:13 AM
03/23/08 10:13 AM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

I got rid of the rock about 3 weeks ago. my vet was concerned about her getting burnt. The story with Perfect Pocket Pets is that they are a mill that sold me a sick glider at the fair and hundreds and 3+ weeks of treatment shes still sick. I got a great vet in St. Pete that the lady at Suncoast recommended and I later found out my cousins use as well.

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511169
03/23/08 10:22 AM
03/23/08 10:22 AM
Lake Worth, FL
Msdoolittle Offline
Glider Lover
Msdoolittle  Offline
Glider Lover

Lake Worth, FL
Originally Posted By: ltlrdangel
So, is Giardia the equivalent of C. diff in humans???

Humans get giardia as well. C.diff is worse!

Hope Lillie is feeling better soon! hug2

~Janet~
Mom to 2 daughters (Laura & Kayla)
4 suggies (Scooter & Snickers, Coral,& Portia)
3 birds (Prince,Lucy,Sidney)
1 dog (Sammy)

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: Msdoolittle] #511174
03/23/08 10:26 AM

G
GoGoGliders
Unregistered
GoGoGliders
Unregistered
G

virtual hugs and prayers coming your way

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511176
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Bless your heart....I can feel the deep love and concern that you have for your sweet little baby! I pray that as the hours pass, she will continue to get better. Please know that we truly feel your pain, your worry, and your concern for your Lillie and we are here to offer as much support and advice possible.
I hope that your day will be fun with your daughter, give her extra hugs and kisses too.... hug2
HAPPY EASTER!!!

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: LSardou] #511177
03/23/08 10:27 AM
03/23/08 10:27 AM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

Thank you so much Happy Easter to all of you!

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511352
03/23/08 03:32 PM
03/23/08 03:32 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Metro/Flagyl (same thing) is the only medicine that can treat Giardia. We've been going through a recurrence recently as well shakehead and the vet checked to be sure.

Just so you know, it seems that some gliders have a reaction (seems to be like die-off in humans). Kira had watery diarrhea for over 3 weeks and I had to give her subQ fluids twice a day throughout to keep her hydrated. So watch her hydration very closely. Have her retested a few days after finishing meds as well to be sure you have gotten rid of it. (We did 30 days and when we retested recently, 2 of them still had it). frown

I bleached everything and dried things in the dryer and they all made it fine. If you wash in the dishwasher, you can add bleach there as well.

Hugs to both you and Lillee! hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: sugarlope] #511357
03/23/08 03:41 PM
03/23/08 03:41 PM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

Thanks I am still cleaning her cage an hour later its still rinsing I am not taking ANY chances! I love the idea of adding bleach to the dishwasher too bad the cage wouldn't fit too.... but for her bowls and stuff that would be a great idea! Lucky for me I just bought a ton of reminant fleece that I don't have the skill to make anything out of lol so she will have a new blanket every day that I will just toss when shes done with it!

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511388
03/23/08 04:41 PM
03/23/08 04:41 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
You said she doesn't have any sleeping pouches and that you don't think you can make any on your own. Have you checked out Suz No-Sew Accessories Page? If you already have some fleece, it probably wouldn't take too long to get her a few pouches made. Just a thought.

I sure hope Lillie gets rid of that nasty Giradia on this round of meds. hug2

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: TracieB] #511445
03/23/08 06:50 PM
03/23/08 06:50 PM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

I have been sent an angel who is going to make me some for her! I tried the no-sew and even those I just can't make I am hopeless! I thank you guys so much. She is with me right now and is sending glider kisses cuz she's sucha good girl but is kissing my screen! She did pretty good I took her with me to my families house for easter and she seems a little better and I got her pumpkin but haven't given it to her yet how much is a good amount for sucha small little girl?

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: ] #511446
03/23/08 06:55 PM
03/23/08 06:55 PM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
That is so nice of whom ever to send you some pouches!!! Thank you whom ever you are.
I hope she continues to get better. Give her a lovin from all of us.
If you can maybe take a picture or two but do not stress her at all.

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: BCChins] #511459
03/23/08 07:28 PM
03/23/08 07:28 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Give her a teaspoon or so on her dinner plate. She won't eat much of it. As far as the oats go, 2 to 3 pieces, not much at all.

Shawna

Re: Need Prayers Lillie's Sick Again [Re: USMom] #511584
03/23/08 09:40 PM
03/23/08 09:40 PM

L
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered
L

Thanks you guys I have pictures but for some reason can't figure out how to post them?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024