Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: hushpuppy] #518958
04/02/08 11:06 AM
04/02/08 11:06 AM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

Can you give me the number to SPCA? I think I'm gonna show them the FL law on the cage size. And the nutrition issue.

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ] #518962
04/02/08 11:13 AM
04/02/08 11:13 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

First of all, if you see them at any venue and say ANYTHING negative, they will have you PHYSICALLY removed. First hand accounts from actual customers are NOT hearsay and can and will be used in court proceedings.

These people are inspected by the local USDA vets when they set up. Because they display the animals they must be inspected. Here is the kicker. ONLY their booth and the animals in it are inspected!

Our worthless USDA vet here in SC inspected them and knew NOTHING about the trailer they had in the back with approximately 500 joeys that had just arrived from Texas and I got THAT straight from baldy in the picture!!!!!

They were recently at another venue here where we had our rescue booth set up and they were tube feeding a joey!!! I didn't know about it until the show was over and someone I know mentioned it. Because we were tube feeding baby squirrels, she didn't realize how different the situations were and that if I had caught them doing that, I could have nailed them! So, pictures are worth a thousand words. ANY chance you have to take photos of them, please do. Tell them you need to send your gf, bf, mama, daddy, uncle, great-grandma, whoEVER a picture to see if they're interested in buying one.

These people are SO greedy to make a sale, if you run up all excitedly and say something like "Ohmagawd, you've got those suggie jumper thingys", well, they'll be all over that in a New York minute!!

This guy, that owns Pocket Pets is the creator of the Veggie Tales which is probably how he is connected with Animal Planet, although the addition of their logo is new to their site.

I recently spoke to a woman selling gardening shoes at a home show and she runs into them all over the country. They told her their goal is to hit as many shows that attract WOMEN as they can since women are much more likely to purchase these guys on impulse!!!!! You cannot accost them at a venue or you will be removed as the trouble maker.

They spend a lot of money for their booths and they will protect that, BUT I know for a fact they have been forcibly removed from at least one venue for abuse and neglect of their animals!!! Their time is coming. It takes PROOF. A good way to get that is if anyone can purchase a joey, maybe without the "package"....take it straight to the vet and get the vet info. They won't know why you're purchasing it, they just want their $200. Chances are, it will test positive for giardia, be underage and malnourished as has been the case in the past.

We set up a rescue booth each chance we get, and one of the flyers that I hand out is "Why NOT to purchase a glider from a flea market, fair or trade show" and it contradicts their claims of gliders not biting, getting along with other pets, diet issues, etc. I also give them several websites to visit to get their own information and form their own opinions. Once they go to the other websites, they learn real quickly what (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is REALLY all about. I have stopped SO many people from buying from them!!!

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ] #518972
04/02/08 11:25 AM
04/02/08 11:25 AM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
Originally Posted By: suggiemom
A good way to get that is if anyone can purchase a joey, maybe without the "package"....take it straight to the vet and get the vet info. They won't know why you're purchasing it, they just want their $200. Chances are, it will test positive for giardia, be underage and malnourished as has been the case in the past.

If someone does go on such a "sting operation" and buys a joey from them to take to a vet it would also be useful to secretly record their conversation, especially the parts about self-neutering at home and the lies about how they are raised in their own homes.

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ] #518977
04/02/08 11:33 AM
04/02/08 11:33 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Why would you get thrown out for asking a question? I am not saying cause a riot, just ask them to explain. I mean, they are 'explaining' about gliders, so one would think it is an honest question. I know I would do it.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: pappy1264] #518985
04/02/08 11:40 AM
04/02/08 11:40 AM
East Texas (Tyler Tx)
MagicEyez Offline
Glider Slave
MagicEyez  Offline
Glider Slave

East Texas (Tyler Tx)
Im with mary .. I'd pound 'em with questions until they are blue in the face and wondering WHY im asking so many questions ... ... and not just random questions ... questions that would allow 'em to know I, unlike the others standing there, have a clue and know what they are doing, and that I know it is wrong ... but wouldnt go about it in a way to get myself kicked out.

Last edited by MagicEyez; 04/02/08 11:45 AM.

‡*Lauri -aka- Queen Of Everything*‡
:glider: Draven, Diego, Dirk, Delilah, KC & Sunshine :glider:
(^-_-^) Mom to 2 cats - Missy & Furby (^-_-^)

All around furbutt lover & Offical Member of the DB's Club

http://txmagiceyez.webs.com/index.htm
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: MagicEyez] #519002
04/02/08 12:13 PM
04/02/08 12:13 PM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

Well go right ahead and give it a whirl if you don't believe me....LOL I can tell you from PERSONAL experience, the moment you question them, they will have you removed. You can speak nicely to them all you want, but the minute you question their "expertise", out ya go!!! And, if they catch you talking to other people and telling them anything negative they WILL have you removed, but if you don't believe me, feel free to see if you get any further. If you read some of the older posts going back as far as last summer, I and several others in different states got the same treatment.

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ValkyrieMome] #519005
04/02/08 12:14 PM
04/02/08 12:14 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
comments withdrawn

Last edited by hushpuppy; 04/03/08 03:56 PM.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: hushpuppy] #519010
04/02/08 12:21 PM
04/02/08 12:21 PM
East Texas (Tyler Tx)
MagicEyez Offline
Glider Slave
MagicEyez  Offline
Glider Slave

East Texas (Tyler Tx)
I personally havent ever had the 'luck' of coming face to face with 'em. We've got enough of us around here that are close ... as soon as they kick one out, the other would be right there asking questions ~ when they kick them out ... we'd have another come up ~ lol ...

I know at our fair we've gotta pay to get in ~ so we're just customers asking question ~ lol ... wink

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ] #519014
04/02/08 12:28 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Originally Posted By: suggiemom
First of all, if you see them at any venue and say ANYTHING negative, they will have you PHYSICALLY removed.

If many people stood out in the crowd asking questions out loud, that is not saying anything negative. Getting people together to do this would be great, it puts doubt in the crowd by frustrating (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets by having to answer questions they either don't know or refuse to answer. Done correctly, just about everyone would walk away, go home and do research before thinking of getting a suggie.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: hushpuppy] #519016
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
If a breeder was sending puppies home with first-time owners and giving them instructions on how to dock the tails and ears and remove the dewclaws would this be considered an inhumane action? That's not a rhetorical question, I just really don't know frown This is the sort of thing that I'd expect the ASPCA to intervene on but I am not sure how they would feel about this. Certainly livestock owners and dog breeders do alter animals themselves but where is the line drawn?

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: SugarBlossoms] #519024
04/02/08 12:34 PM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
As long as the venues that are hosting (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets are still welcoming them then then (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets will keep selling. (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets draws crowds and revenue to these venues. It might be more effective to target the venues themselves and give them a reason to bar (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets, through education, media coverage, tangible proof of unethical, illegal, and/or inhumane actions and business practices, etc.

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: MagicEyez] #519025

K
kaylakala
Unregistered
kaylakala
Unregistered
K

Hey Anita if there is anything I can do you've got my number!!!

How awful for all the unsuspecting people and glider. frown

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: MagicEyez] #519036
04/02/08 12:41 PM
04/02/08 12:41 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Here's a thought (and take this idea and RUN with it, folks):

How about if you make up BUSINESS CARDS of some kind with your name, GC's website, your screen name, maybe a pic of YOUR suggies & whatever else you want to include....and PASS IT OUT to these potential "customers" who're standing around & listening to their FAIRY TALES about suggies? Don't get me wrong in any way shape or form: I'm SO ALL ABOUT shutting down their operation COMPLETELY!!! Any and all CONCRETE EVIDENCE we can get against them to get the USDA and the SPCA and any/all other entities will be nails in their coffins!! tant

I know there's a bunch of my buddies "down south" who're planning to set up THEIR OWN booth to share TRUE FACTS about glider care/health/diet/etc. Until such time as we can take the wheels off (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets's (and CCW's) little red wagon(s) for once and for all!!!!!!!

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ] #519046
04/02/08 12:55 PM
04/02/08 12:55 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I didn't say to question their expertise. I said to say something along the lines 'I have been looking into getting a glider. During my research, I have come across stories of gliders that came from here that were sick/too young and just want to know if you can shed some light on that? I just want to do the right thing." Something along those lines.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: pappy1264] #519048
04/02/08 12:56 PM
04/02/08 12:56 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Mary, the problem is, once you say you've done research, they will tell you not to listen to the "online experts" and then dismiss your questions. If you continue, they will say you are just trying to cause a disruption in their business and have you removed.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: minkasmom] #519049
04/02/08 12:57 PM
04/02/08 12:57 PM

G
GourmetGuru
Unregistered
GourmetGuru
Unregistered
G

Hello all...Okay a little back ground on eme..then to my point..

1. I don't own a glider, trying to locate a joey, to raise..still looking for a female one, picking up my male one April 24th from out of state.Very excited about oicking him up.

2. I have done research on the internet, as well as with a glider few owners

Okay to my point..this past weekend, PP was at the Home & Garden Show where I live at.(I was a fellow vendor) This was the first time I had seen a PP booth. I too spoke with the genetlemen the day we set up on Thursday, and then on Friday and Saturday during the actual show I stopped back by his booth. In fact on Friday and saturday, my husband and my sister in law also came out just to see the Suggies. I wasn't there on Sunday.

All three days I was there, I saw the babies, and they looked very small..now mind you, I have never seen joeys in person, so unlike you all, I have nothing to compare them to, except the adults, I have seen, and they were very small.

There package was $389 for the cage, food bowl, water bottle, heat rock, 1 months worth of food, and an informational DVD.

If I wanted a second glider it would only be $200 more. You can not just buy the 1 glider, by itself, you must buy the package. I did ask about a vendor discount, he said, no it would cost me $389.

The man answered most of my questions, some of which I already knew the answer to. Most of his answers were the same as what many of you have listed. The guy also warned me about reading comments on the internet, and that you all exxagerate information and don't know how raising gliders really works. That you all get frustarted because they aren't like a hamster and you all didn't know what you were getting yourselves into.(Go figure, that all of the thousands of us citizens are the wrong ones)

I can home on Friday and joined this forum and another one to see what all you all had to say about them. I wanted to see if I needed to take caution, because I was going to purchase one on Saturday. After some careful thought, my husband and I decided to adopt a joey from a fellow forum board member instead. We are also still seeking one more. We are not planning to breed or anything, but I don't want our little baby boy to be lonely. And it would be great, if they had babies one day, it seems to be a very fulfilling experience to raise the joeys from the beginning.

So, I want to thank all of you for your comments about PP, some of us newbies are paying attention!

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: hushpuppy] #519050
04/02/08 12:58 PM
04/02/08 12:58 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
But don't you have the RIGHT to ask for information? Money for the spot or not, I can't see how that is 'breaking the rules'. I have never seen them, but just seems it should be something one can do.

Mary
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: gryphon214] #519052
04/02/08 12:59 PM
04/02/08 12:59 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
comments withdrawn

Last edited by hushpuppy; 04/03/08 03:57 PM.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ] #519055
04/02/08 01:01 PM
04/02/08 01:01 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I'm so glad you found this place. I can't get over this is allowed to go on.

I think at the very least, with the heat rock, it could be pointed out how they now tell you to not even use them with reptiles, as they can cause very bad burns. God, why can Oprah do a show on this???? It needs nationwide attention!!!

Mary
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: pappy1264] #519057
04/02/08 01:02 PM
04/02/08 01:02 PM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
The fact that you cannot purchase a glider without purchasing the entire package makes me think they don't expect repeat business. Perhaps because they know you are not going to be happy enough to buy from them again? Or that people who have experience with gliders will be able to tell their information is wrong and that their joeys are too young and/or sick? What would happen if you asked to buy a single joey as a companion for another suggie? Do they allow this?

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: hushpuppy] #519058
04/02/08 01:03 PM
04/02/08 01:03 PM

G
GourmetGuru
Unregistered
GourmetGuru
Unregistered
G

FYI...the booths here were only $575, for the weekend...yes, that may seem like a lot of money, however $575 or not, they don't have the right to put these poor animals lives in danger, stress new owners out by giving incorrect info, and essentially scamming people out of $389 and more.

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: pappy1264] #519063
04/02/08 01:04 PM
04/02/08 01:04 PM
Sycamore Illinois
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Karin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sycamore Illinois
I have a TON of business cards directing folks to GC if anyone needs/wants any, just PM me. Absolutely more can be done of course, but I thought I would offer these. If only a few people come read, that's a few more than before we can educate!

Karin

Miss Lily and Bud
Prada and Armani
Tessa, Deuce and Cami

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: hushpuppy] #519065
04/02/08 01:05 PM
04/02/08 01:05 PM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
Originally Posted By: hushpuppy
No I don't think that is illegal. I'm no expert, but I think it is your dog and if you want to crop it's tail, then it is your business. I've known many people who do their own pit bulls.

What my question was about is not people altering their owns dogs, but the people who are selling the dogs advising the purchasers on how to alter them. How would the ASPCA feel about this?

If I went to the APSCA (or local law enforcement) and told them that the pet store I'd just purchased a puppy from had given me detailed instructions on how to dock his tail and ears at home, how would they feel about that? Would they investigate this as a cruelty charge? In this case I'd think some action would be taken against the pet store.

This is not about emotions, this is about unethical business practices and what the ASPCA considers inhumane treatment. Has anyone contacted them about this matter?

Last edited by gryphon214; 04/02/08 01:25 PM.
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: Karin] #519067
04/02/08 01:08 PM
04/02/08 01:08 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
That is a good idea. I can't imagine how they could get upset over that (I mean, they 'must want what is best for their gliders', right?)

Mary
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ] #519079
04/02/08 01:28 PM
04/02/08 01:28 PM

G
GourmetGuru
Unregistered
GourmetGuru
Unregistered
G

You could only purchase the package and get 1, or each additional one was $200..so for instance if I wanted three gliders.

1st glider with cage and accessories $389
2nd glider $200
3rd glider $200
Total cost: $789

The other thing that bothered me was that if I got two I had no idea of knowing for sure that they weren't related. I know there are a lot of issues with inbreeding. So if I had gotten a boy and a girl, and they had babies, that could have been a whole new problem. I feel better about adopting from two different people who are already experienced and receiving two babies that I already know have been loved.

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ] #519083
04/02/08 01:36 PM
04/02/08 01:36 PM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
Originally Posted By: GourmetGuru
I feel better about adopting from two different people who are already experienced and receiving two babies that I already know have been loved.

I am go glad you did your homework and decided not to purchase from these people. Even if they gave correct info I'm afraid people would still make impulse purchases because they are just such cute critters! I am glad you had the presence of mind to not buy on impulse thumb

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: gryphon214] #519122
04/02/08 02:26 PM
04/02/08 02:26 PM

B
brains613
Unregistered
brains613
Unregistered
B

Not much to add to the topic at hand, but that is the EXACT cage I got my suggies in . Their previous owner said she didn't get them from a fair, so I don't know. It's a real shame what these people are doing. But I think Kerry is right, pet stores LIVE on people making impulse purchases. The stores are laid out in such a way to make the animals as appealing as possible, while minimizing the post-purchase needs of the animals. (Although I know that's different than just flat-out lying)

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: ] #519142
04/02/08 02:51 PM
04/02/08 02:51 PM
Northeast TN bordering VA/NC
Bubbles8i8 Offline
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northeast TN bordering VA/NC
Would it be possible if you know (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is coming to your area to get the news station involved. If you could get the news channel or newspaper to make a big stink about (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets practices (with your evidence from vets and previous customers), the venues would be a lot more likely to turn (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets away. That would be bad publicity for their event. You could even threaten the venue with that. Maybe?

Jenny tounge

Wife to Josh, Mom to Taylor heart

:glider: Coo & Chimera
:glider: Ruckus & Mayhem
:glider: Adonis & Persephone & Aphrodite
www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Cages, Toys, Wheels, Pouches, Treats
Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: Bubbles8i8] #519148
04/02/08 03:12 PM
04/02/08 03:12 PM
East Texas (Tyler Tx)
MagicEyez Offline
Glider Slave
MagicEyez  Offline
Glider Slave

East Texas (Tyler Tx)
^-^ Question to follow that ...

How do you know when and if they are going to be in your area??

Re: face to face with pocket pets!!! [Re: Bubbles8i8] #519151
04/02/08 03:16 PM
04/02/08 03:16 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

I like this idea! I think I'm gonna call the news channel with the "Problem Solvers" to do a story on them. I'll also tell them to remind people to research before they buy any animal, especialy sugar gliders. . Do you think this is a good idea?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024