Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: sugarglidersuz] #375799
09/02/07 11:44 PM
09/02/07 11:44 PM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I don't even have a glider yet, but we had special needs kids at my school, and still do, and would get mad when anyone called them retarted. I almost got into a fight with someone over that... It was terrible, because I talked to them sometimes and they were really, really cool, but no one else saw them as someone they could care about. They just saw them as 'retards...'
But that picture of Pika is absolutely darling. I know someone that has an eye like that, and she still is one of the prettiest people I know to this day. So many people judge for all the wrong reasons. frown

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #392487
10/04/07 08:09 PM
10/04/07 08:09 PM

D
dmbfan41
Unregistered
dmbfan41
Unregistered
D

I think Empathy is a lost trait nowadays
I try to teach my children to put themselves in other peoples shoes.
My oldest plays football and they had a child who on the team who had to wear goggles because he wore glasses and they couldn't have glass on the face on the feild, he told me the other boys were making fun of him and I told him I better never catch him doing that.
I asked him if he could imagine how he would feel if he couldn't see as good as he does then have to wear glasses then have to wear goggles on the football feild then have other kids make fun of him.
he stood up for the child after that.
I lost an extened family mamber Tuesday to a pitbull attack in North Florida it was a horrible tragic death and her son found her and the dogs attacked him, I was reading the article in the paper here in central Florida and the online paper has a forum well some of the people were saying
horrible things about her and the situation and cracking jokes about it. They said she got what she deserved because she owned pitbulls. She lived alone for the most part because her husband worked in New York and she felt she needed them for protection, She slept with those dogs in her bed since they were puppies they turned on her when she was taking the trash out.
I got so upset that I fired off a bunch of stuff about how would feel if it had been a family member of yours and someone said that about you r family.
I put it in prospective and said a children lost thier mother a husband lost his wife and parents lost child so on a so forth . I then told them they lack empathy and that is what is wrong with society today and I hope nothing bad ever happens to someone they love and noone makes jokes about them.
I don't know what this world is comming to I couldn't imagine not felling anything for someone in need or
a critter that has special needs
I just don't know anymore I guess I will just try to teach my children to be the best human they can be and have empathy for other people.

Last edited by dmbfan41; 10/04/07 08:11 PM.
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #392497
10/04/07 08:28 PM
10/04/07 08:28 PM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

OMGosh, I am so sorry you even had to witness any of that and you're right. People have NO empathy any more. I blame so much of it on the media and these stupid tv shows like Family Guy, etc. I mean kids watch these shows and think it's so funny to talk like that and treat people with so much disrespect. Then add in video games, etc. killing, etc.

When the terrorist attacks happened on 9/11 and they were showing people jumping to their deaths from the Word Trade Center and the planes hitting the buildings, my son had NO idea those were real images. He thought it was great graphics!

I was MORTIFIED until I started speaking with other people and their children had similar reactions. They see so much death and violence and listen to it whenever they turn on the radio that they have no empathy. It's all sort of outside their reality or something. I just don't understand it either.

My heart goes out to you and your family. What a horrible thing to have happened!!

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #392499
10/04/07 08:37 PM
10/04/07 08:37 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
I think the main problem is that parents these days don't discipline their kids and let them walk all over them. If my kid ever talked that way, they would get a swift slap in the rear or a bar of soap in their mouth. Mainly if they disrespected their elders.

I'm sorry that happened, Dmbfan41. >.<

That's terrible that people make fun of special needs gliders. frown It's so sad how everyone is so caught up on looks and would laugh or get grossed out by say, a glider missing an eye. To me, everything is beautiful in it's own way. It doesn't have to be perfectly flawless because nothing is flawless.

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Kiiru] #392711
10/05/07 01:30 AM
10/05/07 01:30 AM

M
MarkandMaywho
Unregistered
MarkandMaywho
Unregistered
M

How terribly sad that someone was so insecure that they felt the need to make fun of any special needs individual! I am so sorry that happened! I have a special needs child and we have had several instances where people have teased him or not wanted their children to play with him. It is a hurtful experience for all of us. I commend you for sticking up for your baby,she is beautiful no matter what she looks like! mlove

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Kiiru] #392912
10/05/07 12:28 PM
10/05/07 12:28 PM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
Originally Posted By: Kiiru
I think the main problem is that parents these days don't discipline their kids and let them walk all over them. If my kid ever talked that way, they would get a swift slap in the rear or a bar of soap in their mouth. Mainly if they disrespected their elders.

THANK YOU!

I'm behind that statement 100%. Parents expect schools, peers, other parents, anyone but themselves to raise their children. I remember when I was 5 or 6 my grandma and grandpa took me to a nice ice cream parlor in the mall. We always went there and they knew me. We were sitting outside when a father and two kids, one maybe 3 or 4 and the other an infant, walked past. The toddler took one look at the ice cream parlor and tried to pull his dad into the store. His dad kept walking, so the kid began to loudly say, "DADDY! Dad! Daddy! I want ice cream! Daddy! Buy me ice cream!"
Dad said no, and the kid wound up SCREAMING, ROLLING AROUND, and having a GIANT temper tantrum right there on the floor in front of the store. Absolutely awful - even then I thought the kid was being bad. We just watched as the dad went from being stern and finally tried compromising, and ended up taking the toddler into the store and buying him ice cream. I told my grandparents that I thought he should have said no and not let the little boy get ice cream because he was making a scene.
*shakes* And that was in the early 90s, I AVOID public places like malls now because I'm tired of people's children being rude, disrespectful, and cruel. I have dyed hair and some kids think it's cool - wow! Her hair is purple and blue! But others still think it's "cool" and "funny" to point and roll their eyes and laugh. Sorry? My hair is a fake color? At least I'm not a shallow insecure high schooler who can't feel better unless they're surrounded by equally shallow peers.

I'm sorry to hear about those girls. And Pika the glider - she looks SO cool! I'm sorry she passed away - her eyes are indeed "spooky" in that photo, and I'm sure if I saw it at first I'd be a bit weirded out, but I definitely don't think it's something to make fun of. She looks awesome!

I've never really had any special needs pets, but I've known people who did and I always thought it was great that they chose to keep that animal and care for it instead of going, "ew, this animal is flawed! time to buy a new fancier one!"

Sabarika
Photography
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #436716
12/18/07 03:55 AM
12/18/07 03:55 AM

L
Lyn13
Unregistered
Lyn13
Unregistered
L

As someone who used to work in a special needs class room, there is nothing more heartbreaking than to see a child(or in your case a pet) being singled out because of their differences. These girl were probably not meaning to be hurtful, but they should be taught that beauties is in the eye of the beholder.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #461886
01/26/08 05:21 PM
01/26/08 05:21 PM
Illinois
SugarPaws Offline
Glider Lover
SugarPaws  Offline
Glider Lover

Illinois
I think I would feel the same way if someone made fun of my babies. However, don't let it get to you! smile Who cares what other people think. laugh I'm sure she is really cute! smile

Brittany

:rbridge: Snuggles
:rbridge: CiCi
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: SugarPaws] #462296
01/27/08 03:43 AM
01/27/08 03:43 AM

S
SuggieLuver4941
Unregistered
SuggieLuver4941
Unregistered
S

I think it's horrible for people to make fun of other people. At my school, I volunteer along with some other students with the special needs students. We're called the peer buddies. I've heard some of the things that kids say in school these days, and I can't believe it. I myself have had a few comments thrown at me when I'm with them. We are encouraged to hang out with them and our friends to get them used to being with other kids besides their class. It's horrible that someone would make fun of any person, or glider. frown Today's society is so horrible in so many ways.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #463465
01/28/08 06:56 PM
01/28/08 06:56 PM

P
PeitrysMom
Unregistered
PeitrysMom
Unregistered
P

Well you should not feel bad about crying..I got tears in my eyes just from READING what the other said/did to her. cry

* She doesnt not know WHAT they are saying but I am sure that she know HOW they feel(negatvity towards her). She also knows HOW YOU FEEL! All of the negativity from others probably just makes her love you even more! heart

**To you and her: hug2 hug2

P.S> Tell them all how you feel then it will stop. Maybe SHOW them how sweet she is and then THEY will feel bad...as they should

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #463490
01/28/08 07:36 PM
01/28/08 07:36 PM
Elkhorn, WI
CSteele Offline
Glider Slave
CSteele  Offline
Glider Slave

Elkhorn, WI
My brother has Down Syndrom and I have spent my life watching people make fun of him and call him weird and refuse to play with him as a child....I think it hurt me to see it more than it hurt him because he really didn't understand frown why they were doing what they were doing.

I am very accepting of disabilities in anyone and anything!

Except in my line of work I keep trying to convince people that STUPIDITY is not a disability!!!!! LOL (trying to lighten the air a bit)

Last edited by CSteele; 01/28/08 07:37 PM.

Celeste
262-325-7137

Spoonful of Sugars-Gliders & Gear
www.glidersandgear.com

:grey: Nissa, Moose, Faye, Dexter, Frankie,
:wfb: Shakespeare, Elsbeth, Isabeau, Dartanion,
:wt: Adonis
:rtmo: Lily & Lil Aphrodite (my wht mo)

gangel Squirrel & Damien

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #463499
01/28/08 07:46 PM
01/28/08 07:46 PM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: suggiemom
OMGosh, I am so sorry you even had to witness any of that and you're right. People have NO empathy any more. I blame so much of it on the media and these stupid tv shows like Family Guy, etc. I mean kids watch these shows and think it's so funny to talk like that and treat people with so much disrespect. Then add in video games, etc. killing, etc.

Parents need to take responsibility and stop blaming shows and video games. Family Guy is a GREAT show and it is NOT meant for children. There is a warning on in the beginning of the show saying that. If parents would pay attention to what there kids were doing they wouldnt need to worry about whats on TV IMO

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: sugarglidersuz] #463503
01/28/08 07:48 PM
01/28/08 07:48 PM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: sugarglidersuz
Sadly, children tend to emphasize and focus in on anything that is "different" from the norm. This is normal for children and unless/until they have an adult explain about Special Needs they will continue to gawk, stare and laugh at the "different"... Ever noticed how a child will say, "Look, Mom, that lady is BLIND!!!" in a very loud voice in the store... or how they'll say, "Look at that man, he has NO LEGS!!!" This is just a child's innocence pointing out something different... not abnormal for a child but hideous if it were an adult that said it shakehead Children, in their innocence, can not help but notice and point out "differences" and they will also be frightened of them unless they are educated otherwise.
Now, having said that, it is our responsibility, as adults, to take a child who does something like that aside and gently explain to them that sometimes bad things happen to people and/or animals and they end up with "special needs" but that through their special needs they become very special in other ways, too... I'm sure you get the drift...
My Pika was very special in that she had cataracts that left her eyes "spooky" looking. To be honest with you, the first time I posted a picture of her here on GC I got PM's from ADULTS asking why her eye looked so weird and what was wrong with her frown To me, Pika was just beautiful, to others, she was an oddity dunno And not only did Pika's eyes look odd, she had permanent paralysis from her HLP and walked funny with one of her back knees bent at an odd angle; because she was old (12+ years), her ears were a washed-out pink color and her black stripes were grey; the fur on her tail was thin and mangy looking... To me, she was beautiful though heart Whenever anyone would comment about her "odd" looks, I would just take the opportunity to explain about her special needs and about how wonderful & truly special she was mlove
Here's a picture of my Pika just a few months before she went to live at the Rainbow Bridge heart

VERY well said Suz ! I think Pika was beautiful ! mlove

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #539943
04/30/08 01:20 AM
04/30/08 01:20 AM

J
JordIDGE
Unregistered
JordIDGE
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: LizIvey
They laughed at her! They wanted to hold the gliders , in their words, " can we hold a glider, but not the one with one eye and the weird tail"...

There are many other times that harsh comments have been made, I can't list them all... It is so horrible! tant

aw that's so sad they made fun of your girl : ( people can be so terrible. i'd LOVE to hold her, whether she has two eyes or one : ( i really really would

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #540396
04/30/08 04:19 PM
04/30/08 04:19 PM
USA
sweetheart26 Offline
Glider Addict
sweetheart26  Offline
Glider Addict

USA
tell them thats not nice..you need a hug..

mom to sugar gliders storm,thunder,lighting,snowball,rosebud,winter,string,summer fall and sweet.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: sweetheart26] #540419
04/30/08 05:05 PM
04/30/08 05:05 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
I guess I have been lucky to not have to deal with this problem too much in my life(cruel children).
My youngest son's best friend has a learning disability and speech impediment. My oldest son has MD and my children know that people and animals are all born different, some differences are just more noticeable than others. They also have several family members with various disabilities. They don't make fun of anything but they also know it would be dealt with very swiftly if they ever did.

They have been raised that we don't judge, my children have been taught from the start that if you are perfect you can walk on water. If you can't pull that off then you are not any better than anyone else.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #541486
05/02/08 01:58 AM
05/02/08 01:58 AM

M
MyKioshiBaby
Unregistered
MyKioshiBaby
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: skeetersmommy
They think it's sooooooo funny to say "I bet they taste good". tant

tant tant tant tant tant

OHHHHHH yo have NO idea how angry that makes me! My friends and family joke about it ALL THE TIME! I mean, what is it about a sugar glider that makes them want to be eaten??? One of my friends said to me that "they probably taste sweet because they are SUGAR gliders! haha!" Oh, i want to bonk everyone that makes a comment like that, but I just hold it in. If i don't, everyone gets mad at me and acts like i have no reason to be upset. -.-

I may not understand a lot about those with special needs, but I'm not one to stare or mistreat them. they are people just like we are, and special needs animals are the same as any other animal. I guess that is why they are called "special" because they have a special quality about them that sets them apart from all the others. smile I just can't stand how people can act so harshly to those who are not the same as them...Thats why I'm so happy that Clay Aiken has his foundation for special needs children. We need more people like him. laugh

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #541487
05/02/08 02:05 AM
05/02/08 02:05 AM

M
MyKioshiBaby
Unregistered
MyKioshiBaby
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: Melissa2721
Originally Posted By: suggiemom

Parents need to take responsibility and stop blaming shows and video games. Family Guy is a GREAT show and it is NOT meant for children. There is a warning on in the beginning of the show saying that. If parents would pay attention to what there kids were doing they wouldnt need to worry about whats on TV IMO

I admit, I must agree. My husband and some of my friends play a lot of video games (and my hubby and i watch family guy) but there is a point to the humor. It's like that MTV show where they do all the dumb stunts (i can't say the name of it, but i;m sure you know what its called.) any "entertainment" like that is the kind where you are supposed to enjoy it while watching but DONT TRY AND REPEAT IT! Family Guy humor is meant for Family Guy. I dont watch it and go around doing the kind of stuff to people that they do on that show. And i CERTAINLY don't try and do my own stunts. If you are mature enough (and the proper age) for those types of programs, then you should have the common sense to know that that kind of behavior is not accepted in real life. I wish people would learn...*sigh*

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #784833
05/27/09 02:17 AM
05/27/09 02:17 AM
Jonesboro, AR
S
SeemsFamiliar Offline
Glider Explorer
SeemsFamiliar  Offline
Glider Explorer
S

Jonesboro, AR
Kids with wussie parents make fun of animals. I hesitate to call them bad parents, when they sometimes are ignorant. I work in a retail pet store and teach dog training classes. It burns me up the ppl that come in there sometimes! One kid got in front of the guinea pig habitat and started posturing and saying you want some of this? You cant take me! Yesterday, I had an ADULT come in with two children to buy a goldfish bowl to put a tortise into! There wouldn't have been a full inch of space on either side of the poor critter, and the man wasn't planning on giving it any water, and only offering the poor wild caught thing food when it was out of the cage and probably too scared to eat. I told him that was completely horrid. And he got offended and said that there was nothing wrong with it.
Multiple times I've seen kids throw horrible fits to get something and then when they do get it, they want nothing to do with it. I had a lady that was having trouble training her dog. I asked her if her daughter burned down the house by lighting the curtains, if she'd go 'its okay, lets go get ice cream.' Her answer was yeah, I probably would. It was no wonder the dog was doing whatever it wanted. If its just a child, you explain to them what they are doing is wrong in a way they understand. Ever wonder what it sounds like to a fish when you hit the glass like that? If you go home and put Mom's stock pot over your head and hit it with a spoon you can find out. Would you like it if someone that you didn't know came in through your bedroom window? That's the way the bird feels when you stick things through the bars of his cage. Let's open the front door so he can meet you politely.

I don't get people who think "polite" means pretend the situation doesn't exsist. I'm probably overly curious, and my matter of fact manner has occasionally been mistaken for pointedly rude, but if you don't know then ASK. There was a dog that came in missing huge chunks of hair. My first thought was mange, but the guy didn't look stupid enough to bring a contagious dog into the store. The dog had been abused before the guy adopted it. The vet said some kids probably poured scalding oil down his back. Understanding the dogs condition, I could in all comfort dote on it for a minute, whereas if I hadn't asked, I would have been too concerned for my own health and that of the other animals to touch it.
I'm more outraged when people declare themselves as caring or Christian and then are so foul.
I really would like to FIX other people, but my hardest lesson to really get is that you can only show them how to be different and hope that they can change themselves.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: SeemsFamiliar] #784854
05/27/09 05:25 AM
05/27/09 05:25 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: SeemsFamiliar
I'm probably overly curious, and my matter of fact manner has occasionally been mistaken for pointedly rude, but if you don't know then ASK.
The dog had been abused before the guy adopted it. The vet said some kids probably poured scalding oil down his back. Understanding the dogs condition, I could in all comfort dote on it for a minute, whereas if I hadn't asked, I would have been too concerned for my own health and that of the other animals to touch it.

That's how I am. Sometimes there are some things where I would MUCH rather ask than sit there staring at whoever/whatever has some sort of difference trying to guess what happened.

Personally, I would love to have pets with disabilities more than fully able pets. I don't know why, but if I walked into a shelter and saw a mangy little mutt with one eye, three legs, and two teeth, I'd take that dog before I took a gorgeous, fully able purebred. Yes, more responsibilities come with it, but how many other people would look at that dog and say, "That dog just needs to be put down!" frown

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #784862
05/27/09 06:29 AM
05/27/09 06:29 AM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

Some people just speak before they think - and then others are just thoughtless - In my personal opinion some of the cutest animals (any kind) are the ones that are handicapped - they look so helpless and adorable - my Junior has a paralyzed hind leg and he still gets around fine and he is still my adorable baby (age 5) - Don't worry about what other people say - you in your heart know your gliders are precious no matter what they look like or how they act -

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #785190
05/27/09 08:50 PM
05/27/09 08:50 PM
Red Oak Texas
anjill_tree Offline
Glider Guardian
anjill_tree  Offline
Glider Guardian

Red Oak Texas
Usually kids that are cruel, are not doing it where others can see it. And the one being made fun of, does not want to cause waves , so it goes on til it's unbarable. I have a son with Asperger's syndrome. SO, needless to say, it's been a learning experience.
And, sometimes. it is not the parents fault about the cruelty kids can dish out, but, peer pressure. Just because a child does or says something bad, doesn't mean it is the parents fault. Children do try and find their place in this world. I would not want to be a youngster in these days. And I tell my son he is special in his own way, and I always like being different. Why be like everyone else?

Cathy Hart

Support Aspergers and Autism Research, help put the pieces together.
www.hartlandsugargliders.com
cathyhart2texas@yahoo.com
469-964-4152
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: anjill_tree] #786411
05/30/09 02:37 PM
05/30/09 02:37 PM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
i just posted this on my FB abt 45 mins ago:
i've been thinkin' abt this alot and i know some of you will agree with me on this.. making fun of another person signifies that A) you are unhappy with yourself on some level B) you're jealous of some quality that person has that you do not C) you have nothing better to do with your life

i've lived with this kind of torment all my life. yes kids point out the obvious flaws of people without meaning to. it's the teenagers and adults i take exception too. this is gunna sound wrong to some of you but i can understand how being teased, terrorized, tormented by your peers is enough to make a person think abt picking up that gun and shooting those people. while i can say i've never thought abt doing that, i can definitley say i've had some thoughts of wailing on my tormentors until i felt better and they learned a lesson. just bc i have a disability does not mean i can't see/hear what you do.

Kalista already knows that having a tantrum to get what she wants will not work. it means she will leave that store with nothing and more than likely at home, she'll get punished or that slap to the bottom is more than enough. when we take her to the store, she asks if she can get something like any child. usually we won't give in to her or Jeff will tell her "if you want it, you have to carry it until we leave the store, you put it down, it's gone"

as for pets with a disability, it makes me melt on the inside to know what that pet has possibly gone thru and how it can still have a smile on its face, a bark for you, taking up your lap, or even that purr that gets you everytime. i know people who have gotten a stubbed toe who cry more over that then you see your dog whining unless it's in severe pain. i personally have a very high pain tolerance so what is low pain to me, is high pain to my mother for example.

everything seems to be video games or violence this or violence that in this day and age. kids think it's cool to play a war game on Xbox when in reality what the soldiers go thru is a LOT more extreme. i've just never approved of letting your kid play or watch tv with out some kind of monitoring.

remember, it's how you deal with the matter or how you raise your child to look at others, that makes the biggest difference of all !

Holly & Jeff heart
Misos Phoenix Keegan Knuckles // Asa Etienne Kyrian // Cheyenne Peyton Godiva

RIP my sweet gangel babies, mommy loves you!
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #840177
09/18/09 03:06 PM
09/18/09 03:06 PM

D
Debra_Moore
Unregistered
Debra_Moore
Unregistered
D

You're a wonderful glider Mom and always remember that. As a person who is 1/2 blind, I can say sometimes people just don't think before they talk. Other times parents have taught their children that a handi-cap is a bad thing and you should avoid those people. I was tormented in school because of A. being 1/2 blind and B. having eczema that made it so I couldn't wear jeans very often. That's what made me such a lover of animals.

Please know that everyone and every glider needs love. Children go by how they are taught and by what they see in public/on tv.

A big hug to you and sweet lovings to a glider that isn't handi-cap, but special smile. After all she is in the right spot, with a Mommy who sees how special she is no matter what the problem is.

Sugar Mommy to be to Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter
Debra

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #868193
11/17/09 01:50 PM
11/17/09 01:50 PM

S
SuggieBoi
Unregistered
SuggieBoi
Unregistered
S

I have been reluctant to post here but hey why not, it's a shame the little girls made fun of the glider, but what upsets me the most is the lack of empathy and compassion that is shown towards animals... blind, deaf, one leg, two legs... it's like if its not perfect someone HAS to say something.

I for one give kudos to all who have a special needs glider, its a tough job and it takes AWESOME people to do that job.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: sugarglidersuz] #868300
11/17/09 06:13 PM
11/17/09 06:13 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
She was so pretty!!

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #914449
03/03/10 08:47 PM
03/03/10 08:47 PM
United States
Temulin Offline
Glider Lover
Temulin  Offline
Glider Lover

United States
Oooh - poor sweet little girl! :< It sounds like she has a great home with you though so I'm sure she didn't take the girls' reaction personally. wink

I'd have to say those girls made some very callous and cold hearted comments. I'd hate to wonder if that attitude is being allowed in the home. Not sure how old they are, but your post seemed to indicate that they were at an age where you would expect them to be respectful and mature towards your pets. As they're from your church, I'll second what others have said and suggest maybe using this as an opportunity to teach them how caring for a needy pet can be inspirational and a blessing to the owner. You could talk about why Maisy is beautiful and deserves love and respect as God's little creation. You might ask them if any of their friends or family have had disabilities and open a dialogue on how to respect people with disabilities and whatnot. Use the "golden rule" and ask how they would like it if someone laughed at them and treated them poorly because they'd been in a terrible accident and couldn't change their outward appearance. Tell them how much you love Maisy and why caring for her is such a good example of Christian love in the same way God cares for us. /theological rant done.

As for the other comments, I think you might wanna separate playful remarks from ill meant ones. I've worked with several one-eyed dogs at the shelter, one in particular that we all loved. The staff would joke and say we were going to buy him an eyepatch and make him a pirate. I'd call him "Xiahou Dun" occassionally after a one-eyed character from a book/videogame series I liked. We'd laugh at him (or with him... he was always happy with us until he got adopted out to a nice family) and tease him like you would any other pet, but were always very respectful of his blind side when handling him. I always told visitors he was an awesome dog and he got a whole lot of love from people who stopped by because he was such a sweetie despite his rough past. People might not be meaning to upset you or Maisy - they may just be teasing her a little in a loving, friendly way.

That said; I demand pictures of this cutie!

Last edited by Temulin; 03/03/10 08:53 PM.

"If we sliced today's tomatoes yesterday, they'd be yesterday's tomatoes."

:grey: Lord Feverstone
Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: Temulin] #914842
03/04/10 05:54 PM
03/04/10 05:54 PM

G
GeorgiaandDonald
Unregistered
GeorgiaandDonald
Unregistered
G

I think Picka Is Great! Im my house hold I have 2 kids my son is 11 and my daughter is 8. Having said that,friends are our biggest problem with the name calling and general torment. My son has MANY mental health problems and with that comes sevral issues with looks too. He goes from bieng so thin the wind could knock him down to some months a "chunky monkey" To me both stages are beautiful! My daughter is the first to pipe up and tell the other kids where to stick it and how to do it when they pick on brother. Also a beautiful site to see, but with my daughter she explaines that there is nothing wrong with brother because hes still just him no matter how he acts or how he looks and if they dont like it then there is aproblem with them.She will tell me "normal sucks mom I like the odd things about people!" My son also sees a ton of it with animals and hes the first to Jump in and explaine it and ask the other kids if they would like someone to talk to them that way. Bieng hes delayed in many ways its amazing tha he feels sooo deeply for animals. Both kids also have me I am going blind and some days my eyes are SSSOO scarry that I hate to look at them or have any one else look at me. They will do the same for me tell some one whats what and not feel any shame about it. Its our Job as parents to make each person special and see that theres nothing wrong with them. Same with animals. My sons accidemic principal wants him and I to work with the other kids because we are a family of "normal sucks because if you find one normal person there prolly lying to you" LOL Every one is got somethin that sets them appart, eyes, tail, noises, you name it but were all Beautiful just like Picka!

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #958381
06/14/10 12:04 AM
06/14/10 12:04 AM

A
Akkadian13
Unregistered
Akkadian13
Unregistered
A

I worked at a facility where we taught disabled or underpriveledged children and adults how to play golf. It was by far one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. People in wheelchairs, people born with missing or distorted limbs, or people that were amputees.

A disabled person or Glider is just that. A disabled person or Glider. That is all. They sleep, they eat, they laugh, they cry, etc.

We all bleed the same.

Re: Why do they make fun of her [Re: ] #960211
06/17/10 01:55 PM
06/17/10 01:55 PM
Sweden
Cloudberry Offline
In Pouch
Cloudberry  Offline
In Pouch

Sweden
This is a very sad story, but something that is rather interesting and that might make it a little bit easier to bear is that human beings actually do not fully develop empathy until they are about 25 years old. Children can, therefore, be rather cruel as they simply do not have the capability to completely put themselves in other people's shoes. This behaviour stems from lack of experience, and the fact that their brain still has some developing to do.

The human brain takes surprisingly long time to develop, and the prefrontal lobe (which controls self-control, reasoning and empathy) is the one that develops last. Everyone develops at different paces, of course, and children may start so show empathic behaviour at such a young age as 18 months. But that doesn't mean that they have the same capability for empathy as a grown human being. I think that that is something that adults tend to forget. We all have a tendency to project our own perspective onto others in our environment, and that is especially dangerous with children. Someone here mentioned discipline. I don't think that's what it's about at all. Children respond much better to thorough explanations of what they have done wrong than they do to punishment without reasoning. And I personally find the practice of hitting children to be completely reprehensible.

Anyhow, try to explain your glider's situation to the girls, call on the empathy that they are already capable of. When they learn of her story, it is even possible that they will want to give her much more love and attention than they would the other gliders. Children can see what's normal or not, but in most cases they probably can't look at an animal like your little girl and see beyond the appearance to wonder what caused it, and then feel sympathy for the creature because of what she has gone through, as an adult would.
Tell them the story. Keep in mind that their minds are young and still in development, and give them a chance to understand. Give them a chance to surprise you.

I have a one-eyed glider at home, and he's the sweetest thing, though a little skittish. He was sown up properly by a vet, though, so it sort of looks as though he's constantly winking at you. It's perfectly adorable. Still, it sort of startled a little girl that came to visit us a while back. I explained to her what had happened to him, and she did not even look at his cage mate, who has two eyes, after she had been told his story. It was really rather endearing how sweet she was to him. smile

Last edited by Cloudberry; 06/17/10 02:23 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024