Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How do you just let your gliders out in a room? #541417
05/01/08 11:07 PM
05/01/08 11:07 PM

N
NaniandLuna
Unregistered
NaniandLuna
Unregistered
N

I keep seeing all these pictures of gliders on beds and the like and I know those beds are in a tent. How do you gliderproof a whole room like that? Am I just paranoid? I'd love to let my babies run around my bedroom - but I'm afraid I'd lose them. The only way they could get out would be under the door which I could block.

Is it safe to let them out in a room so big? We have a glider-closet, but it'd be exciting to have a bigger room for them to leap around in occasionally so
1) maybe they could glide for the first time
2) my boyfriend could finally interact with them awake

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541439
05/01/08 11:34 PM
05/01/08 11:34 PM

M
macwood6
Unregistered
macwood6
Unregistered
M

I know with mine I only do that with the ones that are well behaved enough to listen.lol
I have ones that I only take out in the bathroom or the tent.

Most of mine love the living room. We have a large three section sliding window and these big heavy drapes.
They love to jump from us to the drapes and climb around and behind them. Then they climb up to the rod and jump back to us.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541440
05/01/08 11:35 PM
05/01/08 11:35 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
I have a whole bedroom for my gliders,,, but the only things in it are their cages,,, a sofa ,,, a table ,,, and 2 chairs,,, I use furniture covers I can wash on them. I also have many silk trees in the room ranging from 4 ft to 6 ft tall. All we have to do is open a cage door and they eagerly come out to play. As we dont have much in the room its easy to catch them to put them back in the cages,, they actually go pretty easy back in ,,,, I am not sure I would trust them in any other room in the house,, to many places they could hide or get hurt,, we kept their room pretty basic.

It is fun to have a large area thou and watch them glide,,, good luck working something out for your babies!

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: Janie] #541442
05/01/08 11:38 PM
05/01/08 11:38 PM

N
NaniandLuna
Unregistered
NaniandLuna
Unregistered
N

All that's in our bedroom is: a bed, a nightstand with wicker baskets, this wooden cabinet thing (no way to get into that), my dresser, hamper, and tv. The only thing I could see being a hazard is if they jumped on my picture frames and knocked them over. I could pull those down if they were in there.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541445
05/01/08 11:43 PM
05/01/08 11:43 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
Doesnt sound to hazardous to me,,, careful they dont chew on the wires to the tv... and you can always throw a sheet of the baskets and hamper ,,, If your suggies are like mine,,, just watch a couple nights close,, if they can find trouble,, you will know it heheh. We watched them like hawks and still do .

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: Janie] #541446
05/01/08 11:44 PM
05/01/08 11:44 PM

N
NaniandLuna
Unregistered
NaniandLuna
Unregistered
N

Haha oh I would never let them out of my sight. I might try that tomorrow night.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541447
05/01/08 11:47 PM
05/01/08 11:47 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

OK, we are weird, but we have our own "glider room/study." The glider cages are in there, as well as a bookcase, a couple of cabinets, and that's it. We've put screening over the vents, insulation around the wires so they can't chew them, and we've made sure they can't squeeze under any doors. So basically, yes, it's a big room, but we've glider proofed it. It's actually probably safer than the bathroom, which we used before, because there is absolutely no risk of toilet or water mishaps.

Plus, the gliders LOVE the space. We weave our own fleece vines and use some of those door hanging hooks over the door and hooked to their cage to string them across the room. I just go in there and grade papers while the gliders go bananas and pretend they're in the jungle.

I'm actually off to let out the critters now...hoep this helps!

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541448
05/01/08 11:49 PM
05/01/08 11:49 PM

N
NaniandLuna
Unregistered
NaniandLuna
Unregistered
N

Well the boyfriend approved it "as long as it doesn't stink"

The glider's love their closet, but it is kind of small.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541506
05/02/08 05:48 AM
05/02/08 05:48 AM

B
boringscreename
Unregistered
boringscreename
Unregistered
B

We have play time in our bedroom. The only stuff we have in there is our bed, crib, dresser, and night stand.

We roll up a towel and stick it up against the door.

We don't have anything they could easily knock over, just a lamp, and an alarm clock, nothing on the walls, no holes or tight spaces, and we keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't chew the few electric cords we have.

They also love it when we clear out a dresser drawer or two for them and leave it open for them to explore.

David occasionally lets Peanut out in the living room. Peanut likes to sit on his shoulder or stomach for a bit while David is watching tv or using the computer. As soon as he tries escaping, he goes back in the cage though. We don't trust Hazel to do that, as soon as she's out of the cage,she's trying to find a way to escape, so it really depends on the glider too.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541635
05/02/08 10:13 AM
05/02/08 10:13 AM

L
LyricsMami
Unregistered
LyricsMami
Unregistered
L

my boyfriend and i just moved into a new place so we are trying to look over the whole house for any hazardous things even tho we will probably only let them out in our bedroom...its a huge bedroom they will have so much fun!

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541682
05/02/08 11:25 AM
05/02/08 11:25 AM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
I have an entire ROOM for my gang to play in...with dangerous things like a washer & dryer in it! Now before the bash-fest begins, please understand 3 KEY FACTORS:

#1 When the babies are out, these appliances are NOT being used! I make sure the doors to them are CLOSED, and if I need to use either of them the babies are IN THEIR CAGES FIRST & NOSES COUNTED. There have been incidents where someone fell behind one or the other machine, but they either scramble out by themselves or I give them a fleece vine to climb out. My bleach & pre-wash treatments are kept in ANOTHER ROOM.

#2 I have enough "other toys" (fleece vines, wall climber, wheel, HUGE tree branches) in the room that they don't have much interest in those things, except if the mealie bucket is on top of it.

#3 I have a TREMENDOUS amount of trust in all of my babies (this includes my "foster children") that they will at least show me a nose or tail when I call them by name. They can play "keep away" when I locate them, but they at least tell me WHERE they are.

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: minkasmom] #541701
05/02/08 12:02 PM
05/02/08 12:02 PM

S
SugMom2B
Unregistered
SugMom2B
Unregistered
S

Good post. I was wondering about a whole room for play too! My boys have their own room, and it's weird having to decorate their cage, the ceiling, and anything else in there. I am so paranoid about letting them out for the first times because they will be so small and I don't want any hurt glider babies.... there are, however, a lot of plush Sponge Bob's to break falls if we encounter any. smile

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541816
05/02/08 02:02 PM
05/02/08 02:02 PM

A
AmyLynn
Unregistered
AmyLynn
Unregistered
A

My gliders have my bedroom as their play area. They love it I put sheets over the windows so they can climb. They have a big cat scratcher in their for them to climb on and they love to glide to me. I just make sure they can not get under the door. I push a towel under the door and I make sure its tight under the door so they can not pull it out. They love my jewelry box and pull all the drawers out of it and they sit in them so now I have all my jewelry in my dresser. They are just so fun to watch and if I fall asleep they pull my hair and my one glider hits me with his paws because they want my attention.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541827
05/02/08 02:19 PM
05/02/08 02:19 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

I've sort of gone through the house looking for hazards a few times. I clean up, make everything safe, and then let them roam around wherever they want. I know some people gawk at my "irresponsibility", but I've never once had a problem with them getting lost or into trouble. Most of the time they stay in the living room and are contented to hop around there.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541851
05/02/08 02:48 PM
05/02/08 02:48 PM

N
NerdintheBurgh
Unregistered
NerdintheBurgh
Unregistered
N

I knew a kid in high school who had a single glider, and no cage. They let it roam free around their house all day, but as I recall it never really left his side. When he was changing rooms hed just call its name, it would run to him and jump on, and then off theyd go. Interesting to witness, but I wouldnt recommend doing it =P

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541861
05/02/08 02:52 PM
05/02/08 02:52 PM

L
LyricsMami
Unregistered
LyricsMami
Unregistered
L

wow thats very interesting...tho i would never do it!

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541869
05/02/08 02:56 PM
05/02/08 02:56 PM

T
Taylynn
Unregistered
Taylynn
Unregistered
T

My kids have their own room. They have cages I mean, but during play time, they come out and roam freely. I have two fleece sheets on the walls with a fleece net hanging. There is also a box spring leaned up against the wall. They cruise up that and glide off like crazy! The room is all glider proofed and I just lay in the middle on the floor while they have a ball! Or we play tag... or whatever. smile

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #541884
05/02/08 03:22 PM
05/02/08 03:22 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
My room is tiny. The only major things I have in here are my bed, my bookshelf (which has no books lol) and the cage. Pretty easy to glider proof!

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: glidergrl1513] #542453
05/03/08 11:47 AM
05/03/08 11:47 AM

E
EGM
Unregistered
EGM
Unregistered
E

What keeps them from getting under the bed? I have a king size bed and I don't know that I could catch him if he got under there.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #542467
05/03/08 12:02 PM
05/03/08 12:02 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

What about the electrical wires in everyone's room though?

I will be moving soon and I think I will have to have the gliders play in my room...I am worry about them chomping down on the wires to my computer shakehead

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #542472
05/03/08 12:07 PM
05/03/08 12:07 PM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
I let mine run around my room under supervision (and only in sets of 2 unless my roommate is with me so nobody gets lost behind my back!). I keep plastic plugs in the outlets, unplug anything I don't need, wrap cords in fleece, cover things I don't want them getting into (the snake tank, for example) and my bed is just mattresses on the floor so I don't know about that. I do know since we moved my computer out of my room it has made things way easier.

Sabarika
Photography
Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: Sabarika] #542480
05/03/08 12:25 PM
05/03/08 12:25 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

I guess I could just shut my computer down and unplug the power strip whenever they have playtime in my bedroom dunno

Does anyone have problems with them leaving "presents" all over their bed? roflmao I'd rather let my gliders play in the glider-proofed bathroom as this is easier to clean up, but we'll have to see how glider-receptive my future roommates here are going to be roflmao

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: Sabarika] #542482
05/03/08 12:26 PM
05/03/08 12:26 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
My bed isn't on a frame for that reason lol (all of my animals would be able to get under there - they all fit! And my cat likes to pull himself around upside down on the bottom of my boxspring). I don't have too many wires, either. Just my TV and the laptop charger cord. Pretty easy to guard! My room works really well, but I still prefer the tent - more interaction.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: glidergrl1513] #542502
05/03/08 12:52 PM
05/03/08 12:52 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

I usually let them go potty before I let them roam. They go within a few minutes of me waking them, so it works out well. And I've never had a chewing problem, though whenever they get near wires I usually call them away.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #542581
05/03/08 03:22 PM
05/03/08 03:22 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
I have 2 gliders in a cage in my room and I let them run around in my room, but I watch them like a hawk the whole time. Even if my room was glider-proofed I'd never let them run around without me watching them because they'd crawl into the cloths and it would take me forever to find them, lol.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: Guerita135] #542597
05/03/08 03:39 PM
05/03/08 03:39 PM

L
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
L

I have a question.. do you all leave the lights on or off?? or just leave a LITTLE one on.. my gliders willn ot do ANYTHING unless there is very very little light, the MOST they will come out for is the TV and nothing else. iw ould be scared i could not seem them in the dark room.. and when i turn on the lights to find them, they would just find a dark spot an dstay there

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #542622
05/03/08 04:39 PM
05/03/08 04:39 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
The only adult I trust enough to be out loose is Comet. I have had him since he was oop (he was born here) so I am more bonded to him than all my other gliders.
I wouldn't say he is loose though. I know him well enough to anticipate his moves. I also do not allow him to go to far from me and never let him out fo my sight.
For example, I know he will not glide if I am walking, so I can walk through the house with him, no problem. I know the second I stand still for a minute he will begin to look around for a land spot. If he is on my bed in a pic, I am right next to him.. so he can't run away.
You have to know your glider and thier behaviors, and be fully bonded.

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: krysKritters] #542625
05/03/08 04:53 PM
05/03/08 04:53 PM

M
madskyking
Unregistered
madskyking
Unregistered
M

i make sure all the doors and drawers are closed and first thing in the morning before their bed time i let Dio and Vai and Sixx out and let them run around my bed room and jump on me as they please, waching them like a hawk the whole time. I also put an extra couple of hospital blankets on the bed to catch any "gifts" they wish to leave for me.

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: krysKritters] #542627
05/03/08 04:54 PM
05/03/08 04:54 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
I have a gliderproofed room I let them play in. (I have lots of pics on my website) I set up TONS of toys for them along one of the wall, and they really don't stray from there.

I use a red light so it doesn't bother their eyes. They seem to like it, they bark sometimes when I turn it off.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: How do you just let your gliders out in a room? [Re: ] #542631
05/03/08 04:59 PM
05/03/08 04:59 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
Originally Posted By: LindsayAnnG
I have a question.. do you all leave the lights on or off?? or just leave a LITTLE one on.. my gliders willn ot do ANYTHING unless there is very very little light, the MOST they will come out for is the TV and nothing else. iw ould be scared i could not seem them in the dark room.. and when i turn on the lights to find them, they would just find a dark spot an dstay there

I have a tall lamp in my room with 3 lights. I just turn on one light and face it away from the cage. My gliders don't seem to mind. wink

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024