Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. #555754
05/23/08 12:45 AM
05/23/08 12:45 AM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

First, THANK YOU Suz! I was totally panicking tonight and I am SO grateful that you would take a call from a total stranger and help. Thank you so much!

I've been a little concerned by how long Mishka's been leaving the baby alone, an hour or more at a time for the past couple nights, and Chiana (the baby) is only four days OOP now. Yesterday Mishka was doing the tst-tst-tst-get-off-me singing almost all the time. Last night Crichton seemed worried too and kept running around crabbing to herd Mishka back into the sleeping pouch, but she kept trying to sneak out again. This morning when I watched them for a while Chiana was sleeping on Crichton instead of Mishka. I woke them up and when Chiana crabbed (it's really more like buzzing?) Mishka tried cleaning her and let her nurse for a little bit, but I heard her tst-tst-tst'ing again not long after.

Tonight they both left the pouch and Chiana crawled up out of the pouch entirely, buzzing. Crichton was hopping around but didn't seem to know what to do, and Mishka didn't come back for her. I picked Chiana up, she was warm and is uninjured but seemed dehydrated, less active than before, and didn't have a milk patch at all on her belly.

She picked up drinking pedialyte from the syringe on the first try and drank about .5 ml before being done. We made sure she was warm and tried to put her back in with her parents, but it's like they don't know what to do at all any more. They licked and cleaned her but didn't try to keep her in the sleeping pouch, and every time Mishka squirms away without letting her nurse Chiana crawls out of the pouch again. She's perked up since the pedialyte, at least, but if they won't keep her warm and in the pouch then I can't leave her in there with them. Right? I don't want to find her cold on the cage floor worse off than she is now.

She's sleeping in some fleece in my bra right now after drinking a little more pedialyte. But she's so wriggly and she tries to escape, it's hard to keep her still long enough to drink. Anyone know how long it takes a baby this small to get used to the idea of a human being the liquid-provider, and stop trying to get away to find a familiar glider source instead?

And how do you tell when she's hungry/thirsty? Is it just whenever she wakes up and starts squirming around, or do they do that for other reasons? She's pooped once, she squirmed around then and I did the wet q-tip on her cloaca thing.

She's turned out to be a WF, too, her fur is growing in sort of light silvery and there's no trace of stripe beneath her ears. We were so looking forward to maybe getting a WF baby eventually, and it looks like this may be the only one Mish and Crichton will be allowed to have, and she's soooo tiny. frown

I feel so bad for Crichton and Mishka. Especially Crichton, he's so upset.

Picture of Chiana in my husband's hands tonight:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/sohbriekay/chiana.jpg

Last edited by Soh; 05/23/08 12:58 AM.
Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #555760
05/23/08 01:16 AM
05/23/08 01:16 AM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
First off the baby is cute!

If she is only 4 days oop she needs to eat every hr. Go to sugerglidersuz web page and it will give you step by step instructions on hand raising a baby and a incubater.

I have only had to supp feed joeys so far and they always seem to scwerm. If you get a piece of fleece and heat it up in the microwave a bit(make sure it is not hot enough to burn)then wrap her tightly in it till just her face is poking out and then feed her that way.

You need to get some puppy milk to feed her. Suz has a great recipt for glider formula. You can also order wambaroo milk but in the mean time get the puppy milk.

I keep wambaroo milk and puppy milk on hand for just incase.

Just because they reject this joey does not mean they will others but if it keeps happening it would be a good idea to get the male nutered.

How old are the parents? Are they wf? Keep an eye on the chin bars some times the little boogers develop them late.

Also every time you feed her u need to stimulate her to potty.

Good luck and sending you some hugs

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ssdreamsicles] #555766
05/23/08 01:26 AM
05/23/08 01:26 AM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
Forgot to add Suz is a great person! She has helped ease my mind on more then one ocasion(sp)!!!

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ssdreamsicles] #555770
05/23/08 01:32 AM
05/23/08 01:32 AM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

Mishka's a WF... I don't get generations, her father was 2nd gen WFB and her mother was 1st gen WFB so Mishka is ? something WFB. She's a year and a half old. Crichton's a buttercreamy grey, he's 8 months old. Chiana's cheeks are getting whiter and whiter as her fur grows in. She has this funky sort of clown-makeup mask look with the fur around her forehead really white, and black eyeshadow.

I ordered syringes and possum milk replacer from Suncoast in advance, so I've got that. And I'd just come home with apple pedialyte suspecting that I'd probably at least have to supplement. It's heartbreaking to watch Crichton and Mishka all agitated while their baby crawls out of the sleeping pouch, while they do nothing to keep her in.

I'm sorry, I was exhausted by about 3 pm yesterday and I have a cold, so now I'm just desperately trying to keep myself awake babbling.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ssdreamsicles] #555772
05/23/08 01:33 AM
05/23/08 01:33 AM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

Yes, she is! thanks

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ssdreamsicles] #555773
05/23/08 01:38 AM
05/23/08 01:38 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Chiana is a doll. I am sorry things are not going just as planned but thank goodness you have an idea what to do and can get in touch with Suz for help.

Praying everything turns out fine with your little sweety.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #555774
05/23/08 01:40 AM
05/23/08 01:40 AM

F
fuzzbutts
Unregistered
fuzzbutts
Unregistered
F

so little.......and cute.

almost makes me want one(still new with gliders)

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #555777
05/23/08 01:45 AM
05/23/08 01:45 AM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
She would be 2nd generation wfb. What you do is take the lowest generation parent and add one.

so if the mother is 2 and the father 1 it would be 1+1=2

so always take the lowest generation and add 1

It is heart breaking to watch them not be able to care for them for what ever reason.

Hunni has had 2 sets of twins and they have come oop early the second set was over a week premi. On top of that she seems not to have enough milk for them so i have to supp feed. She and gizmo are such good parents and dispite coming early and not enough milk she mothers them so well. I have mad the choice to fiz gizmo due to this.

Your female may just not be ready to be a mom. Some gliders just arnt ment to be parents as sad as that may seem. But this just could be a fluke thing too and they may raise the rest just fine. I would just keep a watch and if she keeps not wanting to care for them fix the male.

Its good you were prepaired!

Do not say sorry for babbling we all do it! I bet you are very tired. So far i have only had to supp feed so no every hr thing which i know is hard. I think its at 2 weeks u can move to every 2 hrs.

Keeping her wraped in your bra is prob the best thing for her. If you cant keep her on you then do the incubater. Im sure you will have a very close bond with having to hand raise her. I have found it is harder letting go to the ones i supp feed. It is hard either way trust me but the ones u have to help keep alive u seem to worry more over. at least thats with me anyways.

No look at me im babbling lol. I have bad bad allergys right now and 2 meds im on are not helping and it is hard to sleep so im pooped.

keep us updated on the little one and if you need anything just ask. hug2

Oh and give that little one a kiss for me. I have a addiction to kissing my babies and when i see pic of other i just want to scoop them up and kiss them!

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ssdreamsicles] #555782
05/23/08 02:10 AM
05/23/08 02:10 AM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

Thanks for the WF generation explanation, it makes sense that way. I'd sort of gotten that anyone with one grey parent was 1st gen, but my brain shorted out past that.

She's pooped twice now, I hope that's a good sign.

I'm going to go get stuff to make an incubator tomorrow in case I need it. I work from home so I can keep her on me, but juggling her and my not-quite-year-old human daughter is going to be interesting. crazy

I wish there was something I could do to make Crichton and Mish feel better. I tried holding them all in the sleeping pouch during one of their naps, but Mishka tried to leave as soon as I put the baby in and Crichton went nuts at Mishka for it. I think they're fighting now. They NEVER fight. cry

Good luck with the allergies! We have those here too, they're miserable and this has been a crazy spring.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #555783
05/23/08 02:28 AM
05/23/08 02:28 AM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

I'm going to cry. Crichton's wandering around the cage calling for the baby, he copies her little bzzt-bzzt sound. And he keeps chasing Mish into the sleeping pouch, then resuming his hunt to find the baby. I tried putting her back in with them but the same thing happened, they milled around licking her and then just watched while she climbed out of the pouch again. They actually followed her down the side almost to the ledge below but didn't try to carry her back in at all.

Now I'm afraid Crichton's going to hurt Mishka because of how upset he is. They were a love-at-first-sight pair and I hate to see them like this.

Last edited by Soh; 05/23/08 02:30 AM.
Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #555805
05/23/08 06:50 AM
05/23/08 06:50 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Renee,
sounds like you will need to make an incubator for Chiana and will need to use it at least some of the time. You can find directions on how to make it by going to How to Make An Incubator. (FYI, I have been able to find the human heating pads withOUT auto shut-off at KMart.) By this morning, she should be ready to start on the Joey Formula as we discussed last night.

The buzzing sound you're hearing is actually the joey crying cry It's interesting that Crichton is making the same sound, searching for the joey - he's actually grieving frown Try giving him regular visitations with Chiana so that he can be assured that she's okay. After each feeding, allow him to clean her and stimulate her to go potty. You can allow him to take her back to the nesting pouch if he wants to, but watch for her crawling out and then take her back again.

It should only take a few days for Chiana to get used to being fed by you instead of her mommy. She will squirm in your bra (or the incubator) when she starts to get hungry again. Go ahead and feed her again at that point.

It sounds like Mish is just not ready to be a mom yet and is sloughing her duties frown Hopefully, next time around, she'll do better.

Also, it is possible, from what you have described, that Mish is starting her heat cycle again and that is part of why Crichton keeps trying to herd her back to the nesting area. If it's early in the heat cycle, she may not be ready to mate yet and that's why she keeps resisting him shakehead You'll know the answer to that within about 24 hours because by then, you will probably catch them mating with each other.

Please feel free to call me again if you have more questions. Sorry I was so sleepy when you called last night - I did a 32 mile bike ride last evening and was wiped out. BUT I never mind getting emergency calls, so please call again if you need me hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: sugarglidersuz] #555824
05/23/08 07:50 AM
05/23/08 07:50 AM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

Thank you again, you're amazing to put so much time and effort into helping people's joeys. hug2

Our plans for this weekend were cancelled by rain, which I'm happy about now. And my husband has today and tomorrow off so we'll be able to get an incubator set up and be sure everything's going smoothly before it's just me and now three small demanding children in the house.

I feel so bad for Crichton, he's been so proud of his little family. Mishka's the sweetest girl but sort of scatterbrained. I'm thinking of seeing if they'll let the baby sleep with them for a while during the day if I hold their sleeping pouch and keep an eye on them. I think we'll be getting Crichton neutered either after Mish goes into heat again or before that if we can get an appointment in time.

Pictures this morning (they're kind of washed-out by the flash):

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/sohbriekay/chiana2.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/sohbriekay/chiana4.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/sohbriekay/chiana3.jpg

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #555832
05/23/08 08:37 AM
05/23/08 08:37 AM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

I have a dumb question. What color is their poop supposed to be? Because the baby's is very yellowy-brown, entirely unlike either of her parents'. If it's not supposed to be like that then I'll be taking her to the vet today to check for parasites, but I don't know where she would have gotten any, the other gliders have checked out clean.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #555847
05/23/08 09:15 AM
05/23/08 09:15 AM

M
MagicMan
Unregistered
MagicMan
Unregistered
M

Will be thinking about you Renee! Hope all goes well today! hug2

Please keep us updated!

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #555859
05/23/08 09:35 AM
05/23/08 09:35 AM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

Not well, she's not drinking or moving around much any more. Going to vet now.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #555869
05/23/08 09:51 AM
05/23/08 09:51 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Praying for good news!!!!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: suggiemom1980] #555986
05/23/08 12:43 PM
05/23/08 12:43 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
any update? Im sending prayers your way for the little one.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ssdreamsicles] #556004
05/23/08 01:06 PM
05/23/08 01:06 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Renee, we are all praying for your little one and you need hugs. hug2

Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: Trigger] #556011
05/23/08 01:15 PM
05/23/08 01:15 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Sending loads of prayers for this little one.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: pappy1264] #556030
05/23/08 01:51 PM
05/23/08 01:51 PM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

She didn't make it. She was doing better, then she just crashed with bright yellow diarrhea and massive dehydration. By the time we got to the vet she was so dehydrated she'd stopped peeing and they couldn't get a fecal sample to check. They gave her subcutaneous fluids and some oral glucose, and she looked better, and they sent us home to wait for her to poop so I could take it back in. Then she went to sleep and wouldn't wake up, then she stopped breathing.

I'm sorry, I'm just really sad right now.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #556045
05/23/08 02:04 PM
05/23/08 02:04 PM

T
TracyLynn
Unregistered
TracyLynn
Unregistered
T

hug2 I am so sorry for your loss hug2

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #556047
05/23/08 02:06 PM
05/23/08 02:06 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
Oh hunny im so very sorry for your loss. KNow that you tried and she knew this. It is possable mom knew some thing was wrong and that is why she showed no interest.

Im sending you many huggs and good thoughts.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ssdreamsicles] #556059
05/23/08 02:24 PM
05/23/08 02:24 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Sending you lots of hugs. I am so sorry but at least this little one had you right there loving it the whole time.

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: Trigger] #556069
05/23/08 02:51 PM
05/23/08 02:51 PM
St. Charles, Missouri
Suggiegramma Offline
Glider Slave
Suggiegramma  Offline
Glider Slave

St. Charles, Missouri
Your little baby knew SOOOO much love in her few days. Sending you lots of hugs....

Virginia

Suggies
Sachi,Miuccia,Mignon,Cosette,Blaise,Florianna,Fabio,
Abbi,Fletcher,Eshton,Hansel,Gretel,Sahara,Parker,SugarBear,
Emily,Ariana,Symphony,Mozart,Smeegle,Cocoa,Hershey,Tippy,
Hollister,Anastasia,Buffy,Tawny,Stormy,Aurora,Chance,Karma,
Kristoff,Ruby.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: Suggiegramma] #556170
05/23/08 05:39 PM
05/23/08 05:39 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I'm so sorry she didn't make it hug2

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: BeckiT] #556209
05/23/08 06:40 PM
05/23/08 06:40 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
cry I am so sorry sweetie. You did everything that you could and she knew in her heart how much you loved her. Sending you tons of hugs and prayers. hug2
Godspeed sweet little angel....
gangel

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: LSardou] #556222
05/23/08 07:10 PM
05/23/08 07:10 PM
Wyoming
tbull Offline
Glider Addict
tbull  Offline
Glider Addict

Wyoming
I'm so sorry. hug2 hug2 She went to the bridge knowing you love her.

T~
www.lovegliders.com

** Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for
you are crunchy and taste good with catsup **

*Proud to forever be a Boo-Boo and BJ Fan!*

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: tbull] #556231
05/23/08 07:31 PM
05/23/08 07:31 PM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

Thank you, everyone. I'm so sad she didn't make it. She was so sweet, even while feeling awful she bonded with me over just one night. When the vet and tech took her for the fluids she was trying to get away, and wriggling when they brought her back, but as soon as she smelled my hands she calmed right down and snuggled. I miss her.

We're going to take Mish and Crichton for checkups to see if there's anything they have that could have made the baby sick. If they come back with clean bills of health then I guess Chiana just wasn't meant to be.

Please tell me if you see anything I may have done wrong or could have done better. If this was due to or added to by anything I did, then I don't want to make the same mistakes again.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #556325
05/23/08 09:21 PM
05/23/08 09:21 PM

P
peace
Unregistered
peace
Unregistered
P

sending you and your family love and hugs.

Re: Looks like we're trying to raise baby by hand. [Re: ] #556668
05/24/08 03:08 PM
05/24/08 03:08 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I am so sorry. hug2 I hope the checkups go well and they are ok, sometimes little ones are only in our life for a short time, sometimes there is no reason. You did everything you could. hug2 hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024