Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
help! new suggie owner about to throw in the towel #569986
06/14/08 01:57 PM
06/14/08 01:57 PM

M
mlwoo103
Unregistered
mlwoo103
Unregistered
M

well...im going to be quite honest and say that i thought this would be easier.

i dont know what to do and i cant find any other topics related to this question...I just got my first male sugar glider a few days ago and im having some problems.

he won't stop scenting me and everything in my bedroom. although im not a fan of it, im ok with it for now since it IS a new environment. however, he BITES when he does it! HARD! he latches on to your shoulder or back and rubs his little chest all over you and bites you repeatedly. Its almost impossible to reach him and I know i absolutely cant punish him. the thing is though, I cant reward him either! he will only eat late at night.

on top of this, be goes berserk! he cant sit still, he just does laps, if you will, all over my body when i have him out. and he's been biting all the time now, not just when he's scenting! what can i do?

if this doesnt stop soon, well... i dont know if im cut out for being a sugar glider mom. frown

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the towel [Re: ] #569989
06/14/08 02:04 PM
06/14/08 02:04 PM

K
Kylie_ily
Unregistered
Kylie_ily
Unregistered
K

Its only been a few dayss! You cant expect a lot from that. Dont reach for him. Let him come to you. Set his bonding pouch in his cage for him to sleep in, the next day while he's asleep in there zip or tie (whatever kind of bonding pouch you have)it and carry him around.
Offer him mealies or any treats you have.
It took my boy 3 months to get to the point of being somewhat bonded. I'm working with my girl now and shes even harder! You cant give up after a few days. These arent dogs, cats, or fish, they're sugar gliders and you really do need to know what to do before you get them. I'm not trying to be mean but to many people buy them because they're cute and expect them to be just like a dog.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the towel [Re: ] #569993
06/14/08 02:06 PM
06/14/08 02:06 PM

G
Giggles
Unregistered
Giggles
Unregistered
G

Don't give up!!! There are a lot of amazing people here that will help. I haven't been on in a while myself but I have owned gliders for a couple of years now and one thing I am sure of is that it takes time.

I would start by keeping him in a bonding pouch and close to you, but not out running all over you. Start slow and work your way towards the free run : ). You can talk to him and treat him in the pouch and get to know each other.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #569995
06/14/08 02:08 PM
06/14/08 02:08 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

First off, Welcome to the forums. You're in the right place.

New gliders can be extremely difficult at first. I'm assuming that he is already sexually mature, as he is marking? Having him neutered will help, if not eliminate, the problem. After he is neutered, you might want to think about getting him a friend, as gliders do better in pairs.

Don't give up! Keito was almost impossible at first, but now he's a real sweetie. What is your boy's name? I'd carry him around during the day in a bonding pouch so he gets used to your smell. bonding is mostly by smell, so this will help a lot. Put licky treats on your hands and let him lick them off, but remove your hand before he begins to bite. Never put your hands near his face if you can help it. Reach for him with a closed fist.

The most important thing is patience. It will take some time, but it will be worth it in the end. I promise! agree

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the towel [Re: ] #569997
06/14/08 02:09 PM
06/14/08 02:09 PM

D
DarkSpark
Unregistered
DarkSpark
Unregistered
D

Don't give up! The poor little guy will only be worse with his next owner and he'll be even more stressed. I had a sort of a rescue glider and he'd crab and bite whenever he saw me coming, or sometimes even just when he heard me.

After a while, he began taking mealies from my hand and letting me pet his tail and sometimes his head and body. He still didn't completely trust me and would crab as he took the mealies and other treats, but you just have to grin and bear it with those nasty little bites. Don't pull away or jump or scream if you can, and sit very still when you have them out.

Think of him being like a scared, cornered dog. What would a dog do if you got in it's face like that? Same thing a glider does when you put your hand in their pouch or try to handle them before they're ready... BITE! It could take this boy a week to get used to you, it could take months. Each one is different, but before you know it, you're in love. Besides, after so many bites, I think you're skin gets tougher and it doesn't hurt so much. laugh

Best of luck!

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the towel [Re: ] #570001
06/14/08 02:12 PM
06/14/08 02:12 PM

M
MagicMan
Unregistered
MagicMan
Unregistered
M

Well... it definitely does take some time. Some will bond within a few days. Some take weeks, months, even years! agree

And some NEVER do, though, I hear thats rare! You definitely just need to go at their pace. How long have you had ur little ones? They need time to adjust to your environment. To them, you are big and frightening. I know its hard but just remember, it takes time. hug2

It will get better, though, I promise! Also, I know it hurts, but your little boy us taking ownership of you. I know marking can be painful and not smell the best... LOL... but hes making you HIS property!

Good luck! Please keep us updated! laugh

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the towel [Re: ] #570013
06/14/08 02:32 PM
06/14/08 02:32 PM

M
MagicMan
Unregistered
MagicMan
Unregistered
M

Also... Try wearing the same clothes that you wore the last time he was on you and playing around. These will already have his scent on them and he should be less likey to mark. Or, shall I say, less likely to mark as much! HTH!

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the towel [Re: ] #570014
06/14/08 02:34 PM
06/14/08 02:34 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
Wow...you've had him for a few days and he's already marking you up? LUCKY! When he bites down and rubs himself all over you, he's marking you and basically saying "Mine!" It also means that he loves you. I know it hurts and it's annoying...but, it's love. hehe. Neutering him might help lessen his obsession with marking every single thing. But, he's still new so of course he's going to want to get his scent all over everything. ^-^

I've started wearing a big, baggy zip up the front jacket over my shirt during tent time now because my lil man has been trying to mark me. Except, he can't get a good grip on my skin through that jacket. wink He gets a mouth full of jacket. You could try that.

Most gliders won't sit still during tent time. Hmm...during tent time, have you tried holding half of a plastic egg lightly cupped in your hand with a mealie or 2 in it for him to take? I don't know if your guy is like my baby girl, but my hand would be bitten if I had the mealie on my flat palm so I have to use an egg. Well, my girly would take it and run and I just kept giving them their mealies that way and I kept working on bonding. Now, she'll sit on my wrist, eat it, and let me pet her. dunno That at least slows her down for a few seconds and gives me a chance to pet her. ;3 Lucky for me, my neutered boy is a love bug and just wants to be loved on more than run around.

Oh, how old is he? Young gliders go through a "biting" phase where they taste everything with their teeth. Check for fruity or strong smells on yourself too. That'll help lessen the biting a bit.

Don't give up though! You can do it! The beginning is hard but after a while, it gets extremly easy...believe me.

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the towel [Re: Kiiru] #570024
06/14/08 02:59 PM
06/14/08 02:59 PM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
If he's your only glider, he's claiming you...that's a beautiful thing! Have you thought of getting him a cagemate? This will give him companionship, and one of his own to associate with. Gliders are very loving creatures, but also colony creatures...if he has no one but you to focus his love and attention on, you will be the center of his world. Hang in there...it takes a little time for him to get used to you & you to him...it's a learning experience for both of you.

peace~carolyn

"Your mind is the birthplace of ingenuity and then you need your heart as the Mediator..." ~Lil C
Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the towel [Re: hipbchik] #570045
06/14/08 03:37 PM
06/14/08 03:37 PM

M
mlwoo103
Unregistered
mlwoo103
Unregistered
M

whew thanks everybody...i had a moment of intense anger earlier after practically being mauled by him haha.
the poor thing...
honestly, the biting and scenting is the only problem thus far.he comes out of his cage for me willingly and plays in my room while i do things. he always comes to me when i put my arm out and he seems to be wary of everyone besides my boyfriend and myself. I dont have a bonding pouch, but he really seems to like my boyfriends socks haha. he was sleeping in it in my lap this morning while i watched tv.
his former home neglected him a bit i think...his cage was dirty and he was by himself. they had sold his cage mates about a week prior to me buying him and the other gliders the people tried to sell me were completely untame.
he may be a little depressed and he seems to have a right watery eye like he hurt it on something :/

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #570065
06/14/08 04:06 PM
06/14/08 04:06 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
You've been given some excellent advice! Just take one day at a time and he will soon start to calm down and relax once he feels trusting towards you.
As for his eye, I strongly suggest that you have it looked at by a vet ASAP....if he did injure it, he will need to be put on some antibiotics otherwise it will get worse.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: LSardou] #570125
06/14/08 07:06 PM
06/14/08 07:06 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
He may also be a stressed too from his previous owner selling off his cagemates. Gliders not only bond to humans but they also bond to each other. So the poor boy is probably hurting over his mates now being gone. It really breaks my heart when I hear of people seperating and selling off bonded glider families.

sherri

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html
Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: Sherri] #570145
06/14/08 08:14 PM
06/14/08 08:14 PM

A
AmyLynn
Unregistered
AmyLynn
Unregistered
A

My male glider Chase still won't let me touch him and I had him since October. He also is neutered. But he will come to me when I call his name because he knows Mommy has something for him to eat and he sometimes gets to excited and bites my finger instead of the treat. But thats just who he is and I love him the same as my other gliders. He is just special in his own way. And I would not trade him for anything no matter what crazy things he does because he is part of the family.
Just give your glider time it will be so worth it once he bonds to you. And they are so crazy that they will keep you laughing even when you have a bad day.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #570259
06/14/08 11:22 PM
06/14/08 11:22 PM

R
Rhapsody
Unregistered
Rhapsody
Unregistered
R

Please don't give up - Hang in there and give the little guy a few more weeks to settle in...... you two will get there in time - I PROMISE!

It took me about three months in all to bond with my twins..... with each week getting me closer to holding them.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #570309
06/14/08 11:59 PM
06/14/08 11:59 PM

K
Kushluk
Unregistered
Kushluk
Unregistered
K

Ive been exactly where you are. I was afraid that I would not be able to handle my little Dante,he would bite me;pee all over, poop on everything, not come out of his pouch, not even let me touch him. Hes still skiddish, But now hes starting to come out more, be more active, he crawls on my arms and likes my head. he doesnt pee as much
(probably cause everythings already scented lol) But ive had him three weeks now and things are already looking up. So hang in there

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #570355
06/15/08 01:12 AM
06/15/08 01:12 AM

S
SAMoll
Unregistered
SAMoll
Unregistered
S

I have had Beast for 7 months now. He is JUST NOW starting to not rip my hand apart when i try to give him yogurt or a mealie. Ive seen a post from someone that has had their's over A YEAR and it still bites them all the time. I hope your suggie comes around soon. But dont give up if it takes some time.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #570425
06/15/08 09:06 AM
06/15/08 09:06 AM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Yep..you came to the right place to get advice that's for sure smile

Your little guy is just getting used to all the new things and marking you is pretty neat IMO. I was happy when Quincy peed on me the first time LOL...my husband was like "you're happy about that??"

I am still working with jay & silent bob...they are taking longer to bond with me. It's a little fustrating...lol...3 suggies and not one of them wants to be my bra baby frown But just take it one day at a time. Once your boy is more used to you and settles in more, he probably won't bite as much.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #572338
06/18/08 01:15 AM
06/18/08 01:15 AM

L
lacunae
Unregistered
lacunae
Unregistered
L

When I got Kona i just got my rankest shirt so he could get used to my scent.. seems to be working pretty well. Except he likes to mark my bed and attack my pillows and blankets. :/

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #572488
06/18/08 11:41 AM
06/18/08 11:41 AM

R
rob
Unregistered
rob
Unregistered
R

I have two shirts I use with Gizmo I wor each shirt for a couple of days than left them in his cage. I now wear those shirts during tent time because he has marked them so they smell like me and him. After tent time I leave the shirts on the cage. This along with licky treats has really helped me bond over the last month.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #572748
06/18/08 05:43 PM
06/18/08 05:43 PM

S
sugarbaby
Unregistered
sugarbaby
Unregistered
S

ok im new but what is tent time? should i like take my glider in the bathroom with me and let him like run around cause my room is shared with kids and i have too much stuff in there that she can get into. i need help.. i really want to bond with her but she bites me all the time and does that crabbing noise at me..i dont have a bonding pouch all i have it the one that is in her cage.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #572763
06/18/08 05:58 PM
06/18/08 05:58 PM

T
TracyLynn
Unregistered
TracyLynn
Unregistered
T

as long as you glider proof the bathroom, you can play with your glider in there. Just be sure to close the toilet lid so he doesn't fall in since gliders don't swim

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #572775
06/18/08 06:09 PM
06/18/08 06:09 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: TracyLynn
as long as you glider proof the bathroom, you can play with your glider in there. Just be sure to close the toilet lid so he doesn't fall in since gliders don't swim

And check under the cabinets! A lot of them have a gap that a glider will go right for. Trust me, it's hard to get them out smile

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #572909
06/18/08 11:44 PM
06/18/08 11:44 PM

M
MangoGlider
Unregistered
MangoGlider
Unregistered
M

All gliders are different mango bonded on the second day of me having her but my friend had her glider for nearly a year and she still bites her sometimes.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #572982
06/19/08 07:14 AM
06/19/08 07:14 AM

B
bambi5826
Unregistered
bambi5826
Unregistered
B

i really hope all is going well with you. keep us updated, will you?

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #573344
06/19/08 06:17 PM
06/19/08 06:17 PM

M
mlwoo103
Unregistered
mlwoo103
Unregistered
M

oh i will wink im surprised at how many of you responded to this topic!

he's been doing better.
he still bites like crazy but a thick hoodie has temporarily made this problem easier to deal with.

at least i know he likes me. dance
he comes out in the middle of the day for me if i offer him some yogurt.
he was so excited to see me yesterday, he just sat on my arm while i was on the computer and licked me and made quiet little chattering noises hahaha

im looking into getting him neutered this month sometime though to see if this helps his scenting/biting/smelling problem lol

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #573349
06/19/08 06:20 PM
06/19/08 06:20 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
clap That's wonderful news! Having him neutered will cut down considerably on his aggressiveness, marking, etc.
It sounds like your making great progress! Keep up the good work with your little guy.

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: LSardou] #573355
06/19/08 06:30 PM
06/19/08 06:30 PM

M
mlwoo103
Unregistered
mlwoo103
Unregistered
M

question :/

i just looked at him and the fur around his bald spot is crusty and like...stuck down to his head

and his chest spot looks almost swollen.
i think i may have bought a sick glider confused

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #573363
06/19/08 06:38 PM
06/19/08 06:38 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
never hurts to have a vet check out your baby if your in doubt ,,, I sometimes feel like I live at my vet,,, I am paranoid momma,,,,

however that said,,, one of my boys has a tendency to groom his bald spot till its soaked and then when it dries it looks alittle crusty,,, and he rubs his chest spot like crazy till its red,,, vet and I finally decided he had to have his own room,,,, the other colonies,, make him overmark everything....

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: Janie] #573364
06/19/08 06:40 PM
06/19/08 06:40 PM

M
mlwoo103
Unregistered
mlwoo103
Unregistered
M

that sounds very similar to his case...he has no cage mate currently though :/ and since i got him he's had a watery eye.
ima call the vet now i thinks

Re: help! new suggie owner about to throw in the t [Re: ] #573367
06/19/08 06:44 PM
06/19/08 06:44 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
Good luck at the vet...having mine check out my babes always makes me feel better,,,,

let us know how it works out. =)

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 430 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,691 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024