Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Self Mutilating in MN #575899
06/24/08 09:23 AM
06/24/08 09:23 AM

D
dkcmommy
Unregistered
dkcmommy
Unregistered
D

My little Sammy is 2 years old. This past December I noticed a small hole in his fur and, with the advice of members from GC, I got him to the vet. It took 3 visits before he would stop ripping out the stitches & staples. He finally healed up. I had just moved my dog's kennel into the same room as Sammy & Emma. The dog was only in the kennel at night but didn't like it and barked all night long. We figured Sammy was chewing away at himself because of that. We moved the dog into another room.

This past month he has started doing it again. He not only ripped a hole in his neck, it went 1/2 way down his back. Back to the vet where he had to pull Sammy's skin so tight his arm was pulled up toward his head and his eye bulged out (no joke). The vet put in stitches and stapled the skin on top of that. But Sammy would not be detered and pulled everything out agin. The vet is frustrated and doesn't know what to do for him. He has left the hole open and I'm applying an ointment 2 times a day.

In my heart I feel I am not giving him SOMETHING that he needs. There has to be a reason for him doing this but it is beyond me. Other than the dog barking we have changed nothing in his life, and we have corrected the barking dog. At his last appointment we got him altered in the hopes that might calm him down. At least the neck thing got his mind off the altering site and he left that alone, knock on wood!

It will devistate my family but I'm asking if there is someone in MN that has a better glider knowledge that could help him. The piece of mind knowing that I gave my baby to someone that will make his life better would be such a relief. I can't sit here and watch him eat himself to death.

Thank you
Kelly

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: ] #575904
06/24/08 09:40 AM
06/24/08 09:40 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Kudos to you for putting your little one's needs above your own wants. thumb I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. hug2

I hope that you find a perfect place for him. If not, he is more than welcome to come stay with me. I'm quite a ways from MN, but we could work out getting the little one here if need be.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #576291
06/24/08 09:26 PM
06/24/08 09:26 PM

B
bradleyindfw
Unregistered
bradleyindfw
Unregistered
B

That breaks my heart. I'm so sorry that you have to go through that. I'll be thinking of y'all and make sure to keep us posted. frown

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: ] #576300
06/24/08 09:36 PM
06/24/08 09:36 PM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
Are you sure he's chewing himself & it's not Emma over grooming him? A couple years ago Nippy had an abcess on his neck, Naoshi opened it up and kept going at it (she wasn't trying to hurt him, just trying to eat away the infection). Two surgeries, just under a total of $600.00 and 27 stitches I realized I needed to separate them so Nippy could heal. Perhaps you could do the same?

peace~carolyn

"Your mind is the birthplace of ingenuity and then you need your heart as the Mediator..." ~Lil C
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: hipbchik] #576315
06/24/08 09:54 PM
06/24/08 09:54 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
I would say maybe look into a different vet. As mentioned before have them look for abcess, tumor, anything at all in that area. You may have to seperate him and his female while he is healing as she will likely groom him and his site and continue to make things worse as mentioned above as well. Which vet are you using right now? Usha77 has some experience with SMing. Her male had his tail amputated so she might have some advice to pass on to you. Maybe we can get you pushed in the right direction to getting him onto the road to recovery so he can stay home with you and his girl.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: cinnamonstix] #576353
06/24/08 10:34 PM
06/24/08 10:34 PM

D
dkcmommy
Unregistered
dkcmommy
Unregistered
D

I'm not sure why this got moved to greys/black beauties. I'm not trying to sell him and I'm really looking for someone who has A LOT of glider knowledge. Oh well, who am I to question?

The vet we are going to is Dr. Hedges at the Brighton vet Hospital in New Brighton, MN. That was based on advice from GC people when he first started this.

I have tried to seperate them but they are very resourceful! I only have one cage but it's pretty large. I put a solid sheet of plexi-glass in the middle of the cage and they managed to push it aside to get over to the other. I was afraid of him hurting himself more. I have never seen her do anything but the vet saw him pull his skin over and start chewing on his staples (little booger).

I have tried the e-collar but, again, he always managed to wiggle his way out of it. I'm truely at my wits end and not sure what more I can do for him frown .

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: ] #576386
06/24/08 11:33 PM
06/24/08 11:33 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Let me know if you need anything at all! I don't know if I could afford to take him in, even on a temporary basis - but Lan was in an e-collar for almost a month after his neuter (SM'd then, too - tail had been amputated due to SMing 4.5 months before that.) Let me know if you need some help with the e-collar or anything like that - I don't think you're too far from me & my work is really understanding when it comes to my love for these little ones - I could come and help you out and even bring a temp/hospital cage if you want. Yup, just mapquested it - Ham Lake is less than an hour from me. If you want or need my help - feel free to call me! Cell# 612-220-6235. I am always up late and do not mind being awoken for suggie emergencies. hug2 I am so sorry you and your boy are going through this.

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Usha77] #576389
06/24/08 11:38 PM
06/24/08 11:38 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I am in the middle of an 'sm' with my glider, Timmy and my heart goes out to you. He was one day shy of getting his sutures out and he chewed a hole through his chest, so bad, there is not enough skin left to even try to resuture, all in a matter of seconds. I am sick and terrified for him. I don't know if we can get him healed before he finds a way to get to himself again. I will be up all night so he doesn't but I can't stay up 24/7. Sending prayers out someone can help you with this nightmare. Know you are in my prayers.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: pappy1264] #576416
06/25/08 12:27 AM
06/25/08 12:27 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Dr Hedges is a great guy but I think in this time crisis you may want to go with another vet with more experience with gliders SMing. The vet Brenda used may be a good place to start. I am always free to sit if need be when I am not at work or accompany on vet visits. Please look into another vet though. I use Hedges, but if I was in your situation I would be looking for someone with more experience with this sort of thing.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: cinnamonstix] #576419
06/25/08 12:33 AM
06/25/08 12:33 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
The vet I have used for Lan's SMing (they did the tail amputation and stitched him up after he opened up his lower belly post-neuter) is the Animal Emergency Clinic in St. Paul - they're open nights and weekends & the number is: 651-293-1800. Just an FYI. laugh

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Usha77] #576472
06/25/08 07:01 AM
06/25/08 07:01 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Sounds like you've gotten some great advice from people near you. Please do take Brenda up on her offer and call her - she really does know what she's doing because of her experience with Lan's SMing...

Originally Posted By: Usha77
The vet I have used for Lan's SMing (they did the tail amputation and stitched him up after he opened up his lower belly post-neuter) is the Animal Emergency Clinic in St. Paul - they're open nights and weekends & the number is: 651-293-1800. Just an FYI. laugh
Brenda, do you know if they are listed in the GC vet Database? If not, could you please submit the information? If so, could you please post a review listing them as having SM experience? That would be very helpful information to have in the database thumb

ETA: I just checked the database and they are listed thumb If you could place a "review" though, that would be great! Animal Emergency Clinic Listing

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 06/25/08 07:03 AM.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: sugarglidersuz] #576499
06/25/08 08:35 AM
06/25/08 08:35 AM

D
dkcmommy
Unregistered
dkcmommy
Unregistered
D

Thanks everyone for the advice and updates. I will give the vet in St. Paul a call. Unfortunately Sammy's last vet visit cost over $500 which is really frustrating since he is "worse" than he was before we went - with debriding the area.

Brenda- maybe i could meet you somewhere and borrow your hospital cage? I'm pretty sure he's doing it to himself but Emmy can be kinda sneeky too, so I wouldn't put it past her. I could bring Sammy along so you could see him and give advice.

At least one good thing was he was so uncomfortable by having his arm pulled up to his ear from the stitches that he didn't mess with his neutering site!

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: ] #576560
06/25/08 10:57 AM
06/25/08 10:57 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
I would be more than happy to meet you some place. I would need to clean up the hospital cage (I also use it for travelling short distances and when I clean their cage.) and gather up the things I used in it. It shouldn't take me too long to do. Do you have an e-collar already - maybe I could help you get it on him so it'll stay or something?

Just let me know where & when & I'll be there!

Edited to add: Suz, I just submitted a review for that vet. thumb

Last edited by Usha77; 06/25/08 11:09 AM.

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Usha77] #576613
06/25/08 12:21 PM
06/25/08 12:21 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for taking the time to do that thumb It really helps a lot to know which vets have SM experience.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: sugarglidersuz] #576896
06/25/08 06:55 PM
06/25/08 06:55 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
If the site is on his shoulder, wouldn't an e-collar just irritate it? Not trying to start a problem, just curious.

Do you have a picture you could post?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: USMom] #576909
06/25/08 07:16 PM
06/25/08 07:16 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too, Shawna. I would like to see the wound before putting an e-collar on. I haven't heard from Kelly yet - but I have Lan's old "hospital" cage washed and drying and getting ready to go if and when I hear anything. I would think, at the very least, separating him from his mate may help the wound heal faster? She could very easily be "helping" him by grooming the owie.

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Usha77] #576930
06/25/08 07:36 PM
06/25/08 07:36 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Depending on the site he may need a different sort of collar. People on here have come up with collars and jackets of sorts, I am sure if we saw what it looked like someone would be able to reccomend what would be the best for him.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: cinnamonstix] #576945
06/25/08 08:15 PM
06/25/08 08:15 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Timmy is in one. I will try to get pics later. There is no way he can wear a collar now with the damage he has done (plus with a bigger neck then head, he gets out of them anyway.)

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: pappy1264] #578374
06/28/08 11:56 AM
06/28/08 11:56 AM

D
dkcmommy
Unregistered
dkcmommy
Unregistered
D

Sorry it has taken me so long to post again.

Yes, his owie is across his neck and down his left front leg. I'm not sure a collar is the best idea since about half of the collar would be sitting on raw tissue.

After some stressful and "heated" discussions with my non-animal loving hubby, it was decided that we can't afford to take Sammy to another vet and start the process all over again (we were transfered out of state and can't sell our house in another state still). If anyone with glider experience is willing to take him, with or without his mate, I would greatly appreciate it. It is killing me watching him eat himself to death. My cage is a loaner but I will give you everything else that I have for them. I just want to see him go to someone that will try to help him instead of him staying here and slowly drift away.

Jackie Chans Mom offered to take him if I could arrange transport to the SGGA. When is it and is anyone attending that would mind taking him?

Also, if someone can give me directions on how to post pictures, I will get one or two up for you all to see. They are heart breaking to look at.

Thank you all for such kind advice. It's wonderful to know that so many people are concerned for my little Sammy.

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: ] #578394
06/28/08 12:28 PM
06/28/08 12:28 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
I hope someone can afford to take your glider and before the SGGA which is still 4 weeks away.........................sounds like he needs intervention WAY before that!! Praying for your little one!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Cora] #578423
06/28/08 01:53 PM
06/28/08 01:53 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
To post pictures, hit the button that says switch to full reply screen, once there, directly below the text box is a file manager button. This is where you will upload your pictures.

How far can you drive him? We can railroad him, or them. Val is awesome with babies (Jackie Chans Mom). Who do we have and where that can meet?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: USMom] #578493
06/28/08 03:26 PM
06/28/08 03:26 PM

D
dkcmommy
Unregistered
dkcmommy
Unregistered
D

OK, I think I added pictures. There should be one of a close up of Sammy and then one of Sammy and Emma. Next to File Manager it says I have a total of 2 files so I think it worked smile .

Kelly

Attached Files
Sammy and Emma.JPG (73 downloads)
injured sammy 2.JPG (73 downloads)
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: ] #578497
06/28/08 03:29 PM
06/28/08 03:29 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Yeah, an e-collar won't work. Lets see what we can do. Click on my name and send me a private message with your phone number. I am going to get on the phone and see what can be done to get your boy some help.

Shawna

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: USMom] #578504
06/28/08 03:40 PM
06/28/08 03:40 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
OH MY! That is a good wound allright!

Yep, lets get him some help ASAP. I have told her that we could ship him here or railroad him if he can make it.

Thanks, Shawna!

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #578520
06/28/08 03:50 PM
06/28/08 03:50 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
The picture isn't working for me?

Would it be easier to ship him somewhere? Would he be able to get there faster?

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Usha77] #578526
06/28/08 03:59 PM
06/28/08 03:59 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
I prefer not to ship him. It is hot here and most airlines wouldn't do it anyway just cause of that.

Shawna is gonna contact Denise and see if she would be willing to take him in. She is in Indiana - much closer than myself.

Still looking for help getting these gliders from MN to Denise, though.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Usha77] #578528
06/28/08 04:01 PM
06/28/08 04:01 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Wow ......................never seen a wound that big.............................hes doing that to himself???? I dont understand. Is he getting pain medicine???? You have the right network of people helping you.................

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #578530
06/28/08 04:02 PM
06/28/08 04:02 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Yeah, I can drive a ways...not sure how far - probably as far as I need to...but hopefully not all the way...Shawna's supposed to call me back and let me know what's going on. laugh

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Usha77] #578534
06/28/08 04:06 PM
06/28/08 04:06 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
can someone send me the picture? It won't load on my computer...

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Self Mutilating in MN [Re: Usha77] #578539
06/28/08 04:10 PM
06/28/08 04:10 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
We're still working on it. Give me some time. Denise is kind of overwhelmed with the ones she has now. She had to take a baby to the vet this morning. So, more along the lines of a railroad to TX.

Shawna

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024