Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hello #570759
06/15/08 09:30 PM
06/15/08 09:30 PM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

I got one from petstore, a week 1/2 ago. He shakes alot when he is in pouch and I rub him, and screams when I go by his cage, but when he wakes up, i sit their and he doesnt make a peep just runs around the cage and eats.

I know someone, that had some of these and he told me, the best thing to do, is to carry them with me all day, even if he shakes and screams because he will get comfortable with me, and my scent. He then said tent time.

Any suggestions?

Re: Hello [Re: ] #570762
06/15/08 09:38 PM
06/15/08 09:38 PM
Parsons, Kansas
dranger1108 Offline
Glider Addict
dranger1108  Offline
Glider Addict

Parsons, Kansas
http://www.angelfire.com/nb/sugarglider/bonding.html
here is a good link on bonding. If you got him from a pet store then I'm sure he's a very scared boy. Give him time and tent time is a really good idea.
good luck,
Michelle

:grey: Michelle's Sugar Glider Babies & Toys :wfb:
USDA licensed breeder
http://www.freewebs.com/michellesugarbabytoys/index.htm
Neat glider themed products!
:glider: http://www.zazzle.com/dranger1108/products :glider:
Re: Hello [Re: dranger1108] #570769
06/15/08 09:51 PM
06/15/08 09:51 PM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

Thank you for that link, i appreciate it. I think if I carry him around alot while hes sleeping, he wont shake as much and will get used to me. I just dont do it often becuase I work alot, and only on my days off I carry him. I know its not good to do it some days, and not others. Alot when I rub him, after awhile he stops crabbing. So, and yes, I agree. Im excited about tent time. Im looking for tents as we speak. When you got yours, did you carry him all day as well until he got used to you? Some say to leave him alone until hes comfortable around you, but I dont see how he'll ever get comfortable being held, if hes not being held, you know?

Re: Hello [Re: ] #570783
06/15/08 10:13 PM
06/15/08 10:13 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
If you offer him lots of treats and sit by the cage when hes out he'll start to come to you and get more curious, then when you do ent time he won't be afraid and will come explore you. Soon he will run up your arm to get out and play, it just takes some time. smile

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Hello [Re: ] #570856
06/16/08 12:32 AM
06/16/08 12:32 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to GliderCENTRAL, Grapefruit316! wave

How quickly you bond to one another depends in large part on him. Our page with bonding links has lots of wonderful tips. The key is to go at his pace, not yours. He needs to get used to you—your scent, your voice, your movements. If he's already showing signs of fear and stress (as yours is), it's best to start with the noninvasive techniques. Wear fleece scraps and then put the "blankies" in his pouch to sleep with. Sit by his cage and talk to him, or read a book out loud. After he's gotten used to your scent and voice and doesn't crab (I presume that's what you call "scream") when you approach him, then take him out during the day while he's sleeping and wear him in a bonding pouch. He needs to learn to trust you, and associate you with good things. Be prepared to have lots of time, patience, and love (and treats) on hand to form a lasting bond with your baby. Tent time always helps with the bonding process. Here's a good link on that: Critter Hill tent time. You can pick up a nice tent at places like Wal-Mart or Target or a sporting goods store for around $20-$30.

Pet stores (and fairs, trade shows, the mall) are not ideal places to get sugar gliders. Many mill breeders frequent those places, and many unwanted gliders are sold at pet stores. These places also do not take the necessary time to properly socialize the gliders, and often they are pulled too early from the parents (who also offer needed training). This just means your task is a bit more challenging, but with consistent time and love, you can win your boy over. You can't force him to bond to you, though. You can't rush him. Right now he's frightened (hence the crabbing).

Sugar gliders are exotics, which is another word for "wild." They aren't naturally drawn to people, but once they bond to you, it's deep and lasting. heart

If you haven't yet, I recommend taking him to a glider-knowledgeable vet (and have a vet fund), finding a a good diet, getting a glider-safe wheel and other glider-safe toys and pouches. You'll also want to glider proof your rooms, just in case your sugar baby escapes from the cage. Here is a good link to get you started on that: Glider Proofing Your Home. And here's a great thread with ways to specifically glider proof your bathroom, with links to pictures for ladders and signs to post: No more drowning in toilets-put a ladder in there!

Good luck!

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: Hello [Re: KattyM] #571010
06/16/08 11:18 AM
06/16/08 11:18 AM

L
ladyvampire
Unregistered
ladyvampire
Unregistered
L

the people in glider central are really helpful with their advice. i recently adopted a 1 1/2 year old male and all he did was crab at me even in the pouch. thanks to the helpful advice her, i slowed down trying to bond with him and as of last nite spike came up on my hand to get his mealworm . for the first time he came out of his cage and started to explore his surrondings. he even let me pet him on the stomach for the first time. i am really hopeful now that i wil soon be able to hold him soon. just take your time. good luck

Re: Hello [Re: KattyM] #573506
06/19/08 10:52 PM
06/19/08 10:52 PM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

Originally Posted By: KattyM
Welcome to GliderCENTRAL, Grapefruit316! wave

How quickly you bond to one another depends in large part on him. Our page with bonding links has lots of wonderful tips. The key is to go at his pace, not yours. He needs to get used to you—your scent, your voice, your movements. If he's already showing signs of fear and stress (as yours is), it's best to start with the noninvasive techniques. Wear fleece scraps and then put the "blankies" in his pouch to sleep with. Sit by his cage and talk to him, or read a book out loud. After he's gotten used to your scent and voice and doesn't crab (I presume that's what you call "scream") when you approach him, then take him out during the day while he's sleeping and wear him in a bonding pouch. He needs to learn to trust you, and associate you with good things. Be prepared to have lots of time, patience, and love (and treats) on hand to form a lasting bond with your baby. Tent time always helps with the bonding process. Here's a good link on that: Critter Hill tent time. You can pick up a nice tent at places like Wal-Mart or Target or a sporting goods store for around $20-$30.

Pet stores (and fairs, trade shows, the mall) are not ideal places to get sugar gliders. Many mill breeders frequent those places, and many unwanted gliders are sold at pet stores. These places also do not take the necessary time to properly socialize the gliders, and often they are pulled too early from the parents (who also offer needed training). This just means your task is a bit more challenging, but with consistent time and love, you can win your boy over. You can't force him to bond to you, though. You can't rush him. Right now he's frightened (hence the crabbing).

Sugar gliders are exotics, which is another word for "wild." They aren't naturally drawn to people, but once they bond to you, it's deep and lasting. heart

If you haven't yet, I recommend taking him to a glider-knowledgeable vet (and have a vet fund), finding a a good diet, getting a glider-safe wheel and other glider-safe toys and pouches. You'll also want to glider proof your rooms, just in case your sugar baby escapes from the cage. Here is a good link to get you started on that: Glider Proofing Your Home. And here's a great thread with ways to specifically glider proof your bathroom, with links to pictures for ladders and signs to post: No more drowning in toilets-put a ladder in there!

Good luck!

I am curious though, He only crab's when I disturb him when hes sleeping during the day. This is if I make a loud noise in the room hes in, or bump the cage, I did that on accident. He doesnt crab at all while hes awake, he just runs around his cage flying to his toys, and flying to the cage playing around. So, I know hes active. And, I sit on a chair infront of the cage ( his cage is on a computer desk that isnt used anymore ) So im at his level in the chair, he is very active. Doesnt crab, when I open the cage to put his snacks in, he will move to one side of the cage, but doesnt crab at all. So, Im not sure. He doesnt seem to stressed, but he could be. Do you think I should wait for tent time? I am going out of town for the weekend, unfortunately, He will be here alone. He has his food and water. Since hes a baby, he has his food that has all of what he needs combined in a little pellet form. He eats that everyday, along with snacks I give him, so he'll be fine but wont have his snacks. I just dont know if he'll be okay alone for friday and saturday night. But, maybe he'll enjoy some time away from me to explore the cage without me being around and maybe get comfortable?

Re: Hello [Re: ] #573510
06/19/08 10:56 PM
06/19/08 10:56 PM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

Oh, i wanted to ask.

Do you know where I can find additional gliders? I want to find one that is comfortable with people. I figure maybe when my baby see's the behavior of one on me and playing with me, he'll want to join in.

The thing is, I need to know where to find an additonal one. Also, if I should get another male. Are males friendly with other males, or would be be fussy about that? I wouldnt mind getting a girl, but I'd want a fixed girl, so they cannot breed. Although later on I do intend on having a few more once I get more comfortable and situation with the one i've got, I dont want any babies just yet. And, finding a fixed female might be a problem, im not sure. I could also get him fixed, but I think hes a bit young for that yet. Any suggestions?

Re: Hello [Re: ] #573528
06/19/08 11:22 PM
06/19/08 11:22 PM

S
Soh
Unregistered
Soh
Unregistered
S

You don't really want to fix glider females. It's tricky and dangerous, and if they self-mutilate into their abdomen they can kill themselves pretty quickly, so there aren't many people who will risk spaying a girl glider. I think pretty much always it's the male who gets fixed, and I think they can get neutered right around or shortly after the time their testicles drop. There are noninvasive neutering methods, like pom-on laser surgery, that heal quickly and leave a reduced chance of further injury to the glider too.

Re: Hello [Re: ] #574966
06/22/08 08:49 PM
06/22/08 08:49 PM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

okay, so do you suggest I get another boy for him? I havent seen any post's about where to find one that's people friendly yet, any suggestions?

Re: Hello [Re: ] #574970
06/22/08 08:56 PM
06/22/08 08:56 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
You can check out our "Glider Ads" forum. There are always gliders for sale there.
One thing to keep in mind, as mentioned in the earlier reply's, your little one is still trying to adjust to his new enviorment. He will crab and fuss until he starts to relax and settle in. Every Glider is different. There is no guarantee that the next one that you get will not react the same way. Time and patience is what it takes to gain these little ones respect, trust, and love.
I wish you all the best in finding a sweet cage mate for your baby.

Re: Hello [Re: LSardou] #574974
06/22/08 09:08 PM
06/22/08 09:08 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
If you find a good breeder with only a small breeding program that spends tons of time with them they are more likely to be tame. When a breeder had many gliders *sometimes* they don't get handled as much, and aren't as tame. There are a few breeders with large programs that handle their gliders, use your discretion. I have two pairs and now a trio, and all my joeys have adjusted fine and their people have been able to handle them from day one. Each glider has it's own personality, ask the breeder about the personality and tell them you are looking for a sweet friendly glider. Some gliders even like to cuddle heart

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Hello [Re: SugareeErin] #575623
06/23/08 08:02 PM
06/23/08 08:02 PM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
How is your little fellow doing? If he doesn't crab all the time you are near, that's a good sign. You can probably take him out for tent time and/or pouch time. You might try first to offer him treats through the cage bars so that he'll approach you and know you offer good things. You'll know he's truly receptive to you when he doesn't go to the other side of the cage when you open it, and of course, he doesn't crab at all. If instead he comes to the cage and greets you, wants to climb on your hand, and if he makes clicking and hissing noises to greet you, then you know he's no longer afraid of you.

One thing that concerns me is leaving him alone for a couple of days, even a day. Sugar gliders need constant--daily--attention and care. They need fresh food and water each evening, and they need their old food and dishes removed each morning. This is in part what makes them "high-maintenance" pets. In the future, you will want to either arrange a glider sitter (a relative or friend), or take him with you, or reconsider if your current lifestyle is a good match with the needs of a sugar glider. Owning sugar gliders is like owning newborn babies; it's not for everyone! tounge

The pellet you are providing is not adequate. What diet is he on? If you haven't yet, do check out the diet page and Suz’s site: Feeding Your Joeys & Adult Gliders. Captive gliders have specialized dietary needs and need the proper blend of nutrients (with protein, fruits, veggies, vitamins, and calcium). For some of the diets, you should be able to find all of the ingredients in a grocery store and pet store. Find one that will suit your lifestyle and your glider’s preferences. You'll want to follow whatever diet you choose, as outlined. Don't mix and match the various plans or ingredients or you'll throw off the overall calcium to phosphorus (Ca:P) ratios, as well as introduce other unhealthy imbalances.

As far as getting a friend, it's always recommended gliders not be kept alone. They are colony critters and do best with a same-species companion. As noted, you do not spay the female. Their anatomy is quite different than ours (or dogs and cats); they have a divided uterus. You mentioned possibly breeding, that is quite a serious endeavor as well. I encourage you to check out a few of Suz's links; they'll help explain their anatomy, what neutering entails, and considerations before breeding:

Your Joey's Appearance & Characteristics
Neutering FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)
Should You Become a Breeder?

I do encourage you to find your little boy a same-species companion, either male or female. You will want to neuter the boys to help ensure peace and happiness. Gliders are territorial, and two intact males can become especially aggressive to one another, especially if they are confined in a small cage. Also as noted, there is no guarantee your second glider will bond any more quickly to you than your first. There is also no guarantee they will like one another. Gliders have different personalities, just like people. My first glider, Keiko, is my sweet social glider. Anyone can hold her and love on her. Her mate, Hiroshi, loves hanging out in my bra and jumps to me when afraid, but doesn't like being held. Their gift to me, Tomoki, is a mix in temperament between Keiko and Hiroshi. He a bit outgoing, but also extremely shy and doesn't like being held, even by me. Neither of the boys "learned" to be social by watching Keiko. They also didn't learn to be shy; that's just their personalities.

You can look through the Breeder Database, Rescues Database, and Glider Ads as a starting point. Stay away from trade shows, malls, fairs, and the like. Many mill gliders (of unknown backgrounds) are sold at those places. Interview the breeder. Ask how often the joeys are handled, what age they are pulled from the parents, what diet they are on, what size cage the gliders are kept in. A good breeder knows the personalities of each joey and may turn around and interview you to make sure you'll make a good parent to the joey.

Good luck!

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: Hello [Re: KattyM] #575628
06/23/08 08:08 PM
06/23/08 08:08 PM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Seems to me that he crabs when he's in his pouch b/c that's his sleep time. One of my guys hates when I open the pouch and peek in (I've since stopped doing that lol). So during the day, esp. now since he is still new, just leave him be in the pouch and let him get his much needed sleep. After he settles down some, then you can try getting him into a bonding pouch to carry him around. Jay & Silent Bob sleep in their bonding pouch actually, since Jay is the crabby one, so it's easier for me to just unclip the pouch, zip it up and clip it to the strap. It's less stressful on them too.

Re: Hello [Re: KattyM] #576439
06/25/08 01:23 AM
06/25/08 01:23 AM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

I think hes doing alright, but who knows. It started out being a frusterating thing, but im starting to have more patience.

He sleeps in his bonding pouch, which is amazing! If I want to take him out to clean the cage, I just put my hand in their, zip it up and take him out. He does not like to be disturbed while hes sleeping though. During the day when I take him out to clean, he crabs and lunges at me, and he shakes. I just usually hold him to my heart so he can hear it beating and he stops crabbin, or i'll hold it by my belly and rub him. I dont keep him out of the cage to long becuase I know he is uncomfortable by the way he shakes. It doesnt last longer then a few minutes, it stops when I get him and hold him to my belly.

I one day took him out, and layed down flat on my back on my bed, and lifted my shirt up above my bra a little bit, put his pouch on my belly and took a nap while he was sleeping too. He crabed not much only when i woke up or moved, but i slept steady on my back for about 3 hours. I would wake up when he crabed, or i'd wake up when he'd move. He started walking around in his pouch or moveing around, and i felt that on my belly, and it was so cool.

I am going to do tent time in 2 weeks.Yesterday, my dads girlfriend was over, and i was sittin by the cage and she came to look at him and I was telling her how scared he was to come near me, and i put my finger on the top of the cage through the bars, and said he'll run away. But, I was wrong. He actually got curious and started inching to my finger so I pulled it out. Later after she left, I held a cheerio up their, and he came and got it. Usually he wont come near my finger or anything I hold in their for him to come grab. So, I was happy.

Clicking or hissing? Yes, i have heard that. Sometimes when im sitting down their, I hear a hiss maybe I could describe it as, bt he doesnt do that much.

I am going to put him on the BML diet. I read through it, bought everything but im confused. It says put them in ice cube trays. Do they get one ice cube each day? It says it will feed them for about 1 month, but, I think theirs only about 12 cube holes? Im not sure, please explain that to me. And, veggies and fruits and insects. What veggies and fruits are approved? I dont know where to find this, I looked on the page that has the bml, but it doesnt say.

As far as insects go, he loves meal worms. What other insects would be good, keeping in mind, I dont want crickets that can get out of the cage, or anything that could.

I appreciate all your help. I am starting to feel releif, as if things are getting better. I hope that's a good thing smile

Re: Hello [Re: ] #576973
06/25/08 09:15 PM
06/25/08 09:15 PM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

Okay ladies, I got and made the BML mix. My whole kitchen smells like rotten eggs, and that stuff is so stinky! lol

Re: Hello [Re: ] #576996
06/25/08 09:39 PM
06/25/08 09:39 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Originally Posted By: Grapefruit316
I am going to put him on the BML diet. I read through it, bought everything but im confused. It says put them in ice cube trays. Do they get one ice cube each day?
Yes one ice cube = 1tbsp of BML

It says it will feed them for about 1 month, but, I think theirs only about 12 cube holes? Im not sure, please explain that to me.
Ice cube trays come in variable sizes. 12 or 14 count. So you will need to buy enough trays to hold the full batch of BML.

And, veggies and fruits and insects. What veggies and fruits are approved?
I dont know where to find this, I looked on the page that has the bml, but it doesnt say.
Here is the link to where you will find the BML diet. It lists EVERTHING that you need.
BML Diet

As far as insects go, he loves meal worms. What other insects would be good, keeping in mind, I dont want crickets that can get out of the cage, or anything that could.
Generally everyone feeds just the meal worms. You can try zoo meds can-o-grasshoppers
Exotic Nutrition Or you can also feed wax worms (they should be fed sparingly due to their high fat content.

I appreciate all your help. I am starting to feel releif, as if things are getting better. I hope that's a good thing \:\)

It sounds like your making great progress with your little fella! Keep up the good work! clap

Re: Hello [Re: LSardou] #578228
06/28/08 01:12 AM
06/28/08 01:12 AM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

Thank you. I dont know if he likes it, but it seems to be gone when I wake up, or evaperated one of the two. He seems very hyper he runs all over the place. When I have an itch I itch, and he jumps. So, I try to be slow with my movements.

Today, I gave him his food, and made myself a pretzel and sat down their and ate it. He had his sniffer going, kept comin up to the front of the cage where I was sitting. And, I finished it. I left to put my plate in the sink and as I was doing that, he started barking for the first time. I came back and sat with him and put a new toy in, and he is very occupied with that trying to figure out how he can play with it.

Is this barking a bad thing? That noise was so cute. I stuck my hand in the cage while he was awake to clean up some mess he made from the pellet food he was eating and cleaned it up he had thrown it everyhwere. I had my hand in the cage with the door up against my arm so he couldnt sneak out, and he didnt come near me. He ran around a bit, but hes still nervous I guess.

I guess the only quesiton I have now, is if that barking was a bad thing. Also, I dont know when they're balls are saposed to drop, or whatever " bald " spot the pet store dude said he seen on the top of my gliders head, but, I dont see it. I been watching closey as he/she runs across the cage infront of me, and I think all I see is a butt at the end where he poops, and about half a inch up, what looks like a centemeter slit in the lower belly maybe?

About 20 weeks OOP. If its a boy, I dont see his spot on his head, and I dont see a penis. Or what could look like one. Could it be a girl?

Re: Hello [Re: ] #578480
06/28/08 03:05 PM
06/28/08 03:05 PM

T
texasglider
Unregistered
texasglider
Unregistered
T

barking is a good thing it isnt bad but if somethings wrong they bark but you can easily tell it is totally different it is more anxious i guess you can say.

if it is a girl you can look on her tummy and there is a little slit, which is there pouch

Re: Hello [Re: ] #578664
06/28/08 07:21 PM
06/28/08 07:21 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Unless your glider was neuterd (they took the pom or testicals off) his should be there.
An unaltered males bald spot will start showing around 3 months old.
Here is a link where you will find Glider Anatomy

Re: Hello [Re: LSardou] #578794
06/28/08 11:23 PM
06/28/08 11:23 PM

R
rob
Unregistered
rob
Unregistered
R

Barking is very good it means he is starting to trust you and wants to play. To save some cleaning when he throws his food around, get a small sterlite container to put over the bowl. He should climb in the small handle opening to eat.

Re: Hello [Re: ] #580929
07/01/08 11:12 PM
07/01/08 11:12 PM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

Havent heard him bark since then, and lately he seems so scared of me. I took him out to clean the cage and kept him in the pouch and he was shaking really bad. Should I still do this to try to bond, or just let it go until hes more comfortable? Doesnt seem like its going very well.

Yeah, He threw a blueberry at me becuase I didnt cut it in half a few days ago, and today... I was runnin late for work but he was up so I gave him food before I left this morning, and he went to the spot where the meal worms are when he wakes up at night, and didnt see them, and ran around the dish, then took his hand and swated his food, and beleive it or not, apple sauce I had on top of the BML flew a little over a foot from the cage and landed on my shirt.

I think its a girl, shes almost 20 weeks, and no wee wee, or balls. But, she needs an attitude adjustment, lol.

Re: Hello [Re: ] #584898
07/07/08 11:17 PM
07/07/08 11:17 PM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

Its hopeless frown. I am going to consider selling him. Any suggestions on where I should start with that?

Re: Hello [Re: ] #584940
07/08/08 12:16 AM
07/08/08 12:16 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Oh no what happened? It sounded like you were doing so well. I promise it is not hopeless, it just takes time! When I get a new glider I give it at least 3 days to adjust, I gave one boy 2 weeks. He sounds like he already is starting to trust you. Patience is very important for these little guys. If you try to move too fast they can get skiddish. It really doesn't take very long for most gliders to warm up to you but pet store gliders can be more difficult. You need to be consistent. My first pair was not tame but they became tame eventually and loved and trusted me. Also, throwing food is pretty normal. My gliders do it all the time so I have cage covers. Some people use the "glider kitchens" like someone suggested here. I hope you reconsider but if you want to sell him there is a classifieds section here and I am sure someone wil give him a wonderful home. Good luck, don't give up yet there is still hope! Just hop over to bonding and relations to see all the success stories!

Re: Hello [Re: SugareeErin] #585430
07/08/08 06:23 PM
07/08/08 06:23 PM

L
lacunae
Unregistered
lacunae
Unregistered
L

its not hopeless! Ive heard stories about gliders that have taken months to bond. Just make sure to offer plenty of treats and love. Just be patient!

Re: Hello [Re: ] #585448
07/08/08 06:42 PM
07/08/08 06:42 PM
NE Ohio
Donnarae Offline
Glider Guardian
Donnarae  Offline
Glider Guardian

NE Ohio
Don't give up...!!!!! We got a pair of gliders from a Sport Show mill breeder and they were wild indians at first. It took every bit of 3 weeks before we could even walk past their cage that they weren't crabbing all over the place at us. Little by little they got used to me just sitting in a chair by their cage and would go about their business. I graduated to putting my hand just a little way in the door about the 3rd week. They would cower in the corner at first and then got brave and came over for a sniff. A couple days after that they would jump on my hand, but not let me deliberately pet them. This is about 3 to 4 weeks after we go them, so it doesn't happen overnight and you have to take it really slow.

I had them on BML and the cage and their poop and pee smelled like a barnyard. When I switched to HPW, they have NO smell at all now and are both eating it really well. Easier to make, too. I enjoy offering them new fruits and veggies so the HPW diet is a lot more flexible in that regard too.

Keep at it...but get your baby a playmate. He/she is probably depressed and taking it all out on you.

We have had our babies since mid-March and they are sweet and loveable. They have their moments still, but are doing great. It just takes time. Hang in there.

Donna & Bob,
One Miniature American Eskimo dog, Chula;
Six Gliders, Chip & Dale, Caspian & Ceridwen, Sasha & Stubby.

RIP Betty, my love.
Re: Hello [Re: Donnarae] #586248
07/09/08 09:09 PM
07/09/08 09:09 PM

G
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
Grapefruit316
Unregistered
G

I've had him a little over a month and i have been unable to find hm a friend. I intended on finding him a friend from a breeder after i got him one from the petstore becuase it was so close by and figured after time i could find a breeder, but no such luck. I dont understand the other diet, but he seems to eat all the bml.

Is it normal to fly across the cage when hes trying to poop? It seems to me its not coming out very well. Sometimes he makes a hissing noise.

Anyway, I want to keep him but if this keeps up I will have to get rid of him things are only getting worse. I cant even have him in the pouch out of the cage without him screamning the whole time, even if we are not moveing, if im just laying in bed with the pouch on my lap lately all he does is scream and he used to only do that when i would move or adjust.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024