Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579844
06/30/08 12:39 PM
06/30/08 12:39 PM

P
PixTrix
Unregistered
PixTrix
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Monster
Thanks Pix - I considered building a cage, but I wouldn't know how to do it without using wood. My gliders LOVE anything made of wood - they would gnaw it to pieces within a month!

Have you ever built a cage without any wood?

All of my cages are built without any wood! Don't need 'em! The wire is so sturdy it does not need any framing.

Jen

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579847
06/30/08 12:40 PM
06/30/08 12:40 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL

Have you ever built a cage without any wood?

Gina, i belive the Klubertanz is strong and does not need wood supports .. i think Megi made some of these cages ...

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: Xglider] #579849
06/30/08 12:42 PM
06/30/08 12:42 PM

P
PixTrix
Unregistered
PixTrix
Unregistered
P

Yes, Megi made some cages with Klubertanz wire. She got the building instructions from me....

Jen

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579851
06/30/08 12:44 PM
06/30/08 12:44 PM
Virginia Beach, VA.
Ellen Offline
Owner:Emeritus-Mother Hen
Ellen  Offline
Owner:Emeritus-Mother Hen

Virginia Beach, VA.
Gina, I love Martins cages. I have been using them since I got my first glider. And they are so nice to work with. They will put in extra shelfs for you or ramps and doors.

Mine show no wear and tear. The drop pans are great. They can't reach their little hands down that far.

Love and kindness is a gift. Use it freely....
My Gallery
Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579853
06/30/08 12:46 PM
06/30/08 12:46 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Gina, it would be smaller coming form the repts, that is for sure,,, but was bigger from what i had prior...

that is the main resaon that when it is time for new cages, if i can motivate myself i will do the Klubertanz wire, i really think it is the only way i am going to get bigger while still being able to wheel them out for cleaning ... and not having to morgage the house to get new bigger cages ... lol...

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: Xglider] #579860
06/30/08 12:50 PM
06/30/08 12:50 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
i think the Martins cage is made form Klubertanz wire ..

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: Ellen] #579863
06/30/08 12:52 PM
06/30/08 12:52 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: Ellen
Gina, I love Martins cages. I have been using them since I got my first glider. And they are so nice to work with. They will put in extra shelfs for you or ramps and doors.

Mine show no wear and tear. The drop pans are great. They can't reach their little hands down that far.

Thanks Ellen, that helps a lot!

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: Xglider] #579866
06/30/08 12:55 PM
06/30/08 12:55 PM

P
PixTrix
Unregistered
PixTrix
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Xglider
i think the Martins cage is made form Klubertanz wire ..

I agree!

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579872
06/30/08 01:00 PM
06/30/08 01:00 PM
Youngstown, Ohio
TheGliderPlayroom Offline
Glider Slave
TheGliderPlayroom  Offline
Glider Slave

Youngstown, Ohio
I think everyone has their perfect cage and once they find it, they'll never leave it. For me, it's repts. I LOVE my repts, mostly because carrying around cages for cleaning used to hurt my back so bad I couldn't do anything else for days.

I make my own custom frames, and IMO that helps a lot. I'd probably go crazy with the original frames. My custom frames are the thicker heavier PVC, and I make some cross bars and a grid at the top. Then I add eyescrews all over the place- I usually use at least 15-16 per cage. I use pear hooks to hang plastic chain all the way across, usually in more than one place, and I can hang whatever I want. I also make my frames into three parts- left, right, top, and then I have two plain poles for the bottom connectors. I make the left, right and top into panels by hitting them with a rubber mallet, then drilling into the fittings and using small screws to hold it all together. Then when I wash that rept, I only have a couple pieces to worry about what goes where when it goes back together. The first rept I did with extra bits was such a puzzle when I washed it, that I gave up and just replaced most of it. roflmao I also put in a T fitting so the Stealth wheels are built in- it's quieter and easier to clean, because the wheel just gets washed with the frames.

I use either laundry soap and oxyclean, or laundry soap and normal bleach on my covers. I wash in hot water twice, then rinse twice, the last time adding just a tad bit of fabric softener to make sure all the soap gets broken up. I do 2-3 covers at a time. I don't think the covers smell any more than the used toys do. For the frames I use either simple green, a bleach/water mix, or my favorite is multi-purpose windex.

Some photos I just took today of a custom 130 rept I made- I cut a 260 in half and added a new floor from pet screen. Our ceilings in the glider room aren't quite high enough for stacking two 175s, and this was a perfect solution. The only thing I don't like, is after I vaccuum out the bottom, the pet screen tends to still have a lot of stuff stuck in it. The regular rep floors I don't have a problem with. I'll probably just fix my problem by turning the cover upside down lol.

Top with toys (it really doesn't feel as crowded as it looks!)-
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/Helen1978/130rept063008a.jpg

Full view-
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/Helen1978/130rept063008b.jpg

Eyescrews-
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/Helen1978/130rept063008c.jpg

Normally I have something in the bottom corner so it's not as empty, but not at the moment, I need to add another eyescrew or two for my normal setup.

Helen
The Glider Playroom
PSG/Sugar Glider Database
Vice-President of the NE.O.B.B.C.
Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579875
06/30/08 01:02 PM
06/30/08 01:02 PM

P
PixTrix
Unregistered
PixTrix
Unregistered
P

While the Martins cages are built with the same type of wire Klubertanz sells, the Martins cages are overpriced, in my opinion. Building your own cages with supplies from Klubertanz is very self-rewarding! There is so much you can do when building your own! That is the beauty of building your own cages! You get to decide how big, how tall, how big/many door(s) and shelves, and put it together!

Just holler if you need help with building a cage.

Jen

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579876
06/30/08 01:05 PM
06/30/08 01:05 PM

K
Kaczie
Unregistered
Kaczie
Unregistered
K

I've had experience both with the cage John mentioned and cages from Martins.

I had a few Martins cages when I had rats. I think the ones for gliders are made from different wire but regardless, they are well built, easy to assemble and actually look very nice when decorated. I would sit and admire my cage after it was washed and redecorated. roflmao Also, they are fairly lightweight for carrying purposes but stable enough that they won't tip over. You could always get some kind of wood stand to set it on if you wanted it elevated.

I use the cage John mentioned for my current gliders. I absolutely love it! It's very easy to clean, spacious, has shelves you can rearrange, large doors with a nice locking mechanism, is sturdy and wheels around nicely. My only beef with it is that I would've liked more horizontal bars, especially on the top of the cage so their toys and such don't just slide around. But I plan on purchasing some landware cloth, cut to size and will zip tie it to the top of the cage so I have more options. ;]

Good luck in your quest!

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579902
06/30/08 01:32 PM
06/30/08 01:32 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

I want to go to a rept soon for one major reason - bugs! I have come into my suggie room and found a HUGE bee before. Or a huge spider on the wall. I think to myself "what if it got in with them???". Thus why I want a rept. I don't want anything in there that's not invited smile

I also think it would be cleaner around the cage - my girls manage to poo fling like you wouldn't believe! Other than that, it's sixes for me. HTH wink

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579915
06/30/08 01:57 PM
06/30/08 01:57 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: PixTrix

Just holler if you need help with building a cage.

Jen

Girl, I just don't know that I'd ever do it - I'd probably order all the stuff, then it would sit around my house gathering dust. Building a cage just seems so ominous!

To bad there isn't someone here that builds customs - that would be way cool!

I have had ant issues in my repts, which is a problem I never used to have with my cages (they were on stands) - but yes, they do keep the bigger bugs out!

Last edited by Monster; 06/30/08 01:59 PM. Reason: added stuff
Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579930
06/30/08 02:09 PM
06/30/08 02:09 PM

P
PixTrix
Unregistered
PixTrix
Unregistered
P

Gina, I can build the cage for you. The problem is transporting the cage to you. I once shipped a cage that I built and the shipping charges were astronomical! The shipping charges were almost as much as the cage itself!

Jen

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579935
06/30/08 02:16 PM
06/30/08 02:16 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

That's sweet of you Jen, but ya, logistics would be a nightmare I'm afraid!

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #579957
06/30/08 02:58 PM
06/30/08 02:58 PM

S
ShadowWynn
Unregistered
ShadowWynn
Unregistered
S

A solution I found for the smell with repts is this:

- wash screen weekly AND
- use the appropriate softray liner with CareFresh in it
- cover CareFresh with fleece that is firmly tucked under the bottom poles

The fleece is easy to sweep/dustbuster every couple of days and keeps the suggies out of the CareFresh. The liner hugs the frame and makes sure that fleece can't be pulled out from under the poles. The CareFresh keeps everything smelling clean for up to 10 days in my 260. I just wash the fleece and liner at the same time, then replace the CareFresh when putting the screen back on.

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: sugarlope] #579975
06/30/08 03:30 PM
06/30/08 03:30 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: sugarlope

I can hang anything in my rept and I hate rept gear, which is why I hardly ever have to tear down my cage (they can climb the pvc poles without fleece). I use baby links and fleece braided ropes to criss cross over the top, so they're super easy to snap off and toss in the wash and I can hang heavy stuff too (where the ropes cross).

I use puppy pads under my repts that are changed weekly and vacuum out the bottom of the cage, which really doesn't need it very often (but I do it every to every other day). Since I started using glider kitchens, most all of the mess is kept in there.

I use baby rings and vines too for hanging. I also fasten fleece bridges and scarves from one side to the other (using baby rings) and hang stuff from them. I bought fleece rugs at Walmart (which are wonderful!), put two in the bottom and just take them out and shake them every day, washing once a week. When I wash the cover, I take fleece toys off the baby rings and toss in with the cover. It's a piece of cake to hang stuff back up. I only have one glider in there right now but won't have more than two, so I don't have much of a mess or smell. I use a glider kitchen so I don't have a food mess. The glider kitchen and fleece rugs help keep the mess down immensely. It's the only rept I have but if I could afford it, I'd LOVE to replace most my cages with repts. The only two cages I wouldn't replace would be the big cage I have and the cage with chewers in it.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: suggiemom1980] #580407
07/01/08 01:25 PM
07/01/08 01:25 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Ya, but how do you guys keep the baby links and shower curtain rings fron sliding across the poles?

I don't know, it just seems like there's too much involved with the logistics of repts. That, and I think I have exceptionally smelly gliders too! I swear that rept smells as soon as I set it back up!

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #580431
07/01/08 02:06 PM
07/01/08 02:06 PM
Mobile,Alabama
jannee66 Offline
Glider Addict
jannee66  Offline
Glider Addict

Mobile,Alabama
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my reps......
I wash them every week, if I'm bored, shucks I'll wash twice a week.....It's such a breeze!!!!
I don't wash the pouches or toys every week tho. I vacuum the bottoms everyday....A true Slave.....I use rep gear on some of the poles not all.. .only because my babies like playing with the fringe. I don't miss dragging the cages to the front porch cry
And I can control my urge to give treats every time I pass by them, unlike the when they were hanging on the bars with those big beautiful eyes, wanting mommie to give them a treat soooooooo bad!!!! Stuff is a breeze to hang useing braided vines and chains......LOVE OUR REPS!!! cloud9

wave Jannie

I heart my Sweet Spellbinding Sugar :glider:s

Glider Kisses
Pouches and Cage Sets

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: ] #580460
07/01/08 02:30 PM
07/01/08 02:30 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Ya, but how do you guys keep the baby links and shower curtain rings fron sliding across the poles?

I have two going across (each way) and one diagonally. If they are tight, the links stay in place and I put an extra link at each corner of the diagonal (or some other hook) to keep those in place.

Here are some pics I have of mine (since I don't think that made any sense at all! roflmao )

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee310/sugarlope/Forum%20pics/DSC03733.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee310/sugarlope/Forum%20pics/DSC03739.jpg

Almost forgot, I wash my cage covers with detergent and vinegar and though there is still a musk smell, they don't smell bad. dunno

Last edited by sugarlope; 07/01/08 02:31 PM.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: sugarlope] #580532
07/01/08 03:31 PM
07/01/08 03:31 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
I use the double stack flight cages these days and LOVE them. Super easy to move around (they are on wheels), plenty of space for my gliders, and saves on room. Which we all need!!

I used to use repts as you are well aware with all the rept gear you made for me, however, I just couldnt handle how fast they smelled up no matter how you tried to handle it. The rept material just held in the urine and marking smell and Heaven forbid if you had to skip a day of cleaning. But what really made me realize I would not recommend a rept anylonger was when I lost my Joey Mac at the pet store, while glider sitting for Jenn. He wasnt a chewer and neither was basheba, but guess what, new enviorment, new smells, they chewed got out and Mac has never been found.

Bottom line, you just cant trust them. With a cage, MOST the time, if they get out it is due to HUMAN error. With a rept, even your older gliders that never chew, may decide to one day and that is all they need....one day....

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Ditch the Repts? - Help me w/ Pros/Cons----- [Re: Srlb] #580554
07/01/08 03:56 PM
07/01/08 03:56 PM

P
PixTrix
Unregistered
PixTrix
Unregistered
P

I agree with Peggy wholeheartedly!

I used the reptariums one weekend during SGGA one year, I believe it was back in 2002. I was shocked by how much the repts smelled over just one weekend and I just could not fathom using the repts full-time, which is why I love my gliders' cages built with Klubertanz wire. I have yet to have a glider escape from this type of cage. <knock on wood>

I am not a big fan of reptariums for several reasons. Sure, cleaning is a breeze and the gliders LOVE it, but it does not suit me well. I have a few reptariums stored away, for back-up.

Jen

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,080 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,166 UTAH
321,694 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024