Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: gryphon214] #584245
07/07/08 10:21 AM
07/07/08 10:21 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Interestingly, many people believe it is wrong to keep ANY ANIMAL as a pet (PETA). Although I have never been to Australia, I do have friends that live there. They have told me even the ones they have seen in the wild gravitate towards people. They are naturally very social creatures and although not 'tame' they seem to enjoy interacting with people on some level. I love my babies and give them the biggest accomadations I can fit in my home (believe me, if I had the space, they would have at least 10' x 10' x 10' enclosures each!!) I look at my babies every day and know they are happy here. Do I think they would be happier outside? They don't know outside, so it is not something I can even guess on. Personally, I believe they would be terrified! (You mean there isn't some to hand you your mealies....then I ain't goin'....pretty sure that would be the consensus! lol) I would love someday to get to see my critters wild relatives but I can guarantee you, it would not make me feel my babies are 'missing out'. JMHO.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: pappy1264] #584246
07/07/08 10:23 AM
07/07/08 10:23 AM

V
Vickirs OP
Unregistered
Vickirs OP
Unregistered
V

Animals are like people - fear of the unknown and you don't miss what you never had.

I have an African Grey Parrot, she's never been to Africa, she's never been outside, she would be terrified if she ever did go outside and would have no idea how to survive - taking an animal out of the wild to make a pet is wrong, breeding animals in captivity is not depriving them of their freedom, they've never known it and would have no idea how to survive in it.

Last edited by Vickirs; 07/07/08 10:26 AM.
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #584261
07/07/08 10:43 AM
07/07/08 10:43 AM

N
NovaStorm OP
Unregistered
NovaStorm OP
Unregistered
N

Interesting topic!

As far as the bald eagle goes... as long as it was happy and well loved, I'd be fine if someone had it for a pet.

As for my sugar gliders, I know I'm not the best at keeping and caring for them, but they love being around me and they're happy. They have plenty of food and water, and a nice warm place to live. They really are more like family than just animals.

On the other hand, I'm jealous of the original poster. I'd love to be able to see these animals in their natural habitat and enjoy just watching them, but I don't have that luxury (common place for you, luxury for me). Most people in the US don't even know what a sugar glider is, so at least this way people get educated, and the sugar gliders are well taken care of in their human/animal families.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #584277
07/07/08 11:02 AM
07/07/08 11:02 AM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
Originally Posted By: NovaStorm
Most people in the US don't even know what a sugar glider is, so at least this way people get educated, and the sugar gliders are well taken care of in their human/animal families.

This is exactly how I feel about zoo animals. Many people believe keeping animals in zoos is cruel but my personal belief on this is that keeping animals in zoos does something very important for their species' survial: it keeps them in the public eye and inspires people to take steps to ensure their wild cousins are preserved. If you'd never seen an elephant or a tiger, if they were just some animals you'd read about in a textbook or encylopedia, would you care as much if they were hunted down and cruelly killed for their ivory or skin? Would you care as much if they became extinct? Some people still would but I don't think most people would.

Also, keeping animals captively in zoos and sanctuaries gives biologists a chance to study them more closely in order to figure out their needs which in turn helps convervation efforts for those in the wild.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: gryphon214] #584291
07/07/08 11:25 AM
07/07/08 11:25 AM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
My glider may never have experienced gliding freely through the trees but they have also never experienced predation, drought, disease, overpopulation, territorial disputes, wild fires, starvation... The list could go on. Why assume that a wild life is a happy life?

My gliders are all captive born from generations of captive born gliders. They are treated well, given plenty of stimulating activies and excersise, a supportive "colony" of humans and other gliders, a clean, safe "habitat", and a good, healthy, diet. They are all bonded to me and when given free roam "glide freely" back to me. That is a beautiful sight!

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: gryphon214] #584309
07/07/08 11:38 AM
07/07/08 11:38 AM
Conroe TX
J
Jennifer_Maaske Offline
Glider Slave
Jennifer_Maaske  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Conroe TX
when I die, I want to come back as a glider living with anyone of the members I know on this board!

Jennifer Maaske
4sugar gliders
2 great danes
1 American Eskimo dog
1 livestock guard dog
4 cats
2 goats
23 chicken
3children
1 Very tolerant husband

www.redemptiondayfarm.com
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: gryphon214] #584943
07/08/08 12:19 AM
07/08/08 12:19 AM

P
Padros4 OP
Unregistered
Padros4 OP
Unregistered
P

Amen to that, gryphon214! As an Educator and Animal Care Staff member at a very reputable aquarium, what you mentioned above about zoos is what I try to tell people every day! If we lived in a perfect world where habitat destruction did not exist...pollution did not exist...cruel and illegal practices against wild animals did not exist...perhaps we would not need zoos and aquariums. But we all know that we live in a world far from perfect and animals often need our help.

I think it's great that sugar gliders can be kept as a part of our families, so long as they are in caring, responsible, and knowledgeable hands. Though those we care for are captive bred and different in some ways from their wild cousins, so much has been learned, so much can still be learned about them...you just wait...if the unfortunate day comes where wild sugar gliders become threatened or endangered, we will all be thankful that we have such an extensive database of info about them. If we didn't, we'd have no way of establishing a conservation program for them.

Last edited by Padros4; 07/08/08 12:25 AM.
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #585024
07/08/08 04:51 AM
07/08/08 04:51 AM

R
Rachel OP
Unregistered
Rachel OP
Unregistered
R

I've no issue with aquariums or zoos so long as they're being responsible. Don't keep animals that don't survive in captivity. Don't keep animals in unsuitable environments. Don't keep animals that aren't happy captive. I know I don't do any of those things though. The aquarium I'm a member of doesn't do those things.

Fundamentalists only see one side of the issue. Don't be like PETA.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #585033
07/08/08 06:47 AM
07/08/08 06:47 AM
Conroe TX
J
Jennifer_Maaske Offline
Glider Slave
Jennifer_Maaske  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Conroe TX
I hate zoos that keep them in such small environments.
the way they pace back in forth. Makes me cry. I here they have twice as many animals then what are on display also...just crated in back.
it seems it hits the big cats the worst..I can't go visit them at the zoos.

I think they do better off in good homes as pets

Jennifer Maaske
4sugar gliders
2 great danes
1 American Eskimo dog
1 livestock guard dog
4 cats
2 goats
23 chicken
3children
1 Very tolerant husband

www.redemptiondayfarm.com
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Anonymous] #585080
07/08/08 09:35 AM
07/08/08 09:35 AM

U
Ushuaia OP
Unregistered
Ushuaia OP
Unregistered
U

It is up to every person to decide what is moral and, abiding within the law, make the choice if keeping a pet is "humane". There are many factors which must be considered. If you have the point of view that keeping any animal is inhumane then that is your right.

It can be argued that there are very real benefits for not only the pet but also the owner. Lets review these.

The Pet:

The black-footed ferret that is so common as a household exotic pet in the US and abroad is extinct as a species in the wild existing only in zoos and homes. Pets or breeders of pets might very well provide the stock that could reintroduce the species into the wild.

Pets in captivity receive more food and health care than in the wild and often thrive as pets living longer lives than their wild counterparts.

Much of what is known of a species is learned in captivity, whether in a zoo or private collection. The data can be applied to habitat preservation, disease control, and other conservation and species specific goals.

The Person:

Pets lower stress allowing us to live fuller and more productive lives. This in turn will lower the number of hospitalizations to stress related diseases.

The pet industry in general provides jobs for millions of people. International shipping, of animals and related goods, benefits many nations of various economic situations. The loss of these jobs could encourage an increase habitat destruction and hunting. These factors could then play a role in the extinction of many species.

Pet owners are often the biggest advocates of conservation. Without exposure to animals people can be more apt to see them as a commodity and support for conservation as a whole could suffer.

Medical advances rely almost exclusively on animal testing, without such, quality of life for us as a whole would suffer. Rather than animal testing of new drugs, human subjects would need to be found for very experimental and uncertain medical value.

Conservation and responsible ownership are intertwined, and the benefits of the two working together can lead to a greater understanding and compassion for all living things.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 545 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,635 TEXAS
679,102 OHIO
487,225 OKLAHOMA
432,221 UTAH
321,741 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024