07/24/08 07:38 PM
07/24/08 07:38 PM

B
BriteEyez
Unregistered
BriteEyez
Unregistered
B

Do any of you keep record books on your gliders?

I am a member of the united states pony club, and they have me do a record book (novel) on the horses I use. I'm so use to this its almost second nature..
I have deicded to start one for my gliders.. For instance I think it will be a good idea for when we go to the vet, or should I need to go out of state for an emergency. I could feel confident leaving them with a close friend should I have thorough instructions for them to follow.

I am curious to see if anybody else dose this? I keep seeing how "inexperianced" some vets can be.. And I feel having a book on hand to explain my wants and my babies basic critieria would be very useful!

Plus I'd like to print out some of the info I find here for further information. Just to be able to quickly referance it in an urgent situation. And also include it in a section in the record book.

Also. I am going to start compiling supplies for an e kit. Including E collars. I also have a first aide kit for my horse. And Its saved my butt a few times with her. In a case where my vet couldn't get there asap! smile

would somebody be willing to share with me an EXTENSIVE list of things they carry in an e-kit?

Better safe and overprepared than sorry with these little angels laugh

Thanks for any input guys!

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: ] #596093
07/24/08 07:43 PM
07/24/08 07:43 PM

M
melissa9784
Unregistered
melissa9784
Unregistered
M

Thats a really good idea!
As far as the e-kit goes one of the members made this list
http://cynthia.garnes.com/Glider_Hospital/Glider_Hospital.htm.

Hope this helps.

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: ] #596105
07/24/08 08:21 PM
07/24/08 08:21 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
I did see a record book on someones site, but can not remeber who! Hopefully someone else saw and will enlighten us, cause I really wanted to buy it. I have a small 3 x 5 file holder with a card & picture of each of mine with their oop date, if known and other info.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: gliderma] #596141
07/24/08 09:29 PM
07/24/08 09:29 PM

B
BriteEyez
Unregistered
BriteEyez
Unregistered
B

My book will have everything from diet, proper portions, and acceptable treats. To their regular wake up times, growing and adult weights.. As well as pictures and descriptions! Just anything I can imagine I would want a stranger that knows NOTHING about them to know asap.

I have been in an emergency situation with my horse where my little (its not so little) record book saved us!
It listed every imagineable aspect of her I could put to paper. ..I should make a little video of it for an example. It might help me teach as well..

I am regularly asked to help teach unmounted clinics on recrod book keeping to the pony club kids. I'm simply a neat freak nut! And I love organizing things and learning!

Melissa9784, thanks for the link to the list! laugh were going out shopping tomorrow so I will try and pick up the majority of the list and supples to make ecollars. smile

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: gliderma] #596150
07/24/08 09:44 PM
07/24/08 09:44 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Val (Jackie_Chans_Mom) has a record book;
http://stores.homestead.com/GliderPals/StoreFront.bok
(It is currently closed, but check back)

I can't find one of the old posts on GC that had pretty extensive Em Kit lists, so this should at least give you a start, here is what I keep in mine;

Glider Emergency Kit
* Saucer/snap e-collar – for use with heavier gliders and non-cloacal/tail SM.
* Shot glass e-collar - for use with normal sized gliders and/or cloacal/tail SM.
* Large straws – to cover tail in case of injury/SM.
* 0.9 Sterile Saline – for flushing wounds. This is different than Saline flushes you get from the vet, it is only to be used topically.
* Alcohol wipes – for wound/hand cleaning.
* Baby wipes, fragrance/alcohol free – for fur/hand cleaning.
* Neosporin – for topical use on non-emergency, small wounds.
* Cotton swabs – wound care, applying topical medications.
* Sterile gauze pads – wound cover/wound care.
* Small waterproof adhesive tape – to secure e-collar, and/or secure a splint.
* 1 inch self stick wrap – for use in bandaging/covering wounds, use with splint or protecting an injured tail.
* Styptic powder – to stop minor bleeding caused by toe nails trimmed too short.
* KY jelly – to keep male genitalia moist if not retracting.
* Side edge cut clippers – nail trimming.
* Small scissors – to clip loose threads or free little feet/nails in an emergency.
* 1cc sterile slip tip syringes – for use with oral medications and/or force feeding.
* 5cc sterile slip tip syringes – for oral use or sub-cutaneous fluids.
* 12cc sterile screw on syringes – for oral use or sub-cutaneous fluids.
* #5 French Catheter – for use when force feeding if you cannot get the glider to open his/her mouth. Used with an oral/slip tip syringe.
* Chicken baby food – can be used to force feed or as emergency/evacuation needs.
* Mixed Veggies baby food – can be used to force feed or as emergency/evacuation needs.
* Baby apple juice – can be used for minor dehydration (pushing fluids) or emergency/evacuation needs.
* Pedialyte – can be used for minor dehydration (pushing fluids) or emergency/evacuation needs.
* Bottle of water – for emergency/evacuation needs.
* Hand Warmer – in case of emergency travel in cold weather or to help warm a sick glider (always use a towel or fleece between the glider and hot pack).
* Instant heat pack – in case of emergency travel in cold weather or to help warm a sick glider (always use a towel or fleece between the glider and hot pack).
* Instant ice pack – in case of emergency travel in hot weather (always use a towel or fleece between the glider and the cold pack).
* Large fleece blankets – for handling gliders in an emergency or to burrito a glider in case of SM/feeding medications/force feeding.
* Plastic bowls – for isolation/separation or evacuation needs.
* Bird feeder dispensers – for feeding/watering a glider in an e-collar.
* Foaming hand sanitizer – for hand cleaning. NOT to be used on glider.
* Hospital/Isolation cage
* Human heating pad with thermostat - for use with heating hospital cage.
* Tweezers
* Tissues
* Cotton pads
* bonding pouches with windows (one for each cage)
* Lactacted Ringers Solution - subcutaneous fluids. You can ONLY get this from a vet and must be trained on how to properly administer sub-Q fluids to a small animal. Sub-Q fluids are ONLY temporary supportive care until such time as you can get your glider to a vet (ASAP).
* Needles to administer sub-Q fluids. You MUST speak with your veterinarian to determine the proper gauge of needle to use and how to properly administer sub-Q fluids. Sub-Q fluids are ONLY temporary supportive care until such time as you can get your glider to a vet (ASAP).
* Emergency contact information (vet, Emergency vet, Animal Poison Control, Secondary Contact for glider care)
* List of perishables and expiration dates. Check frequently and replace items as needed.
* Veterinary records, any other health records and weight charts.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: sugarlope] #596165
07/24/08 10:11 PM
07/24/08 10:11 PM

B
BriteEyez
Unregistered
BriteEyez
Unregistered
B

Wow Sugarlope! Thank you so much! This is just great!

Ill pick up what I can from my local stores..
Hopefully I won't need anything for subQ'ing..ever!

The 1cc, 5cc, 12cc, and #5 catheter I bet I can pick up from either my local pharmacy store or my vets office.

This helped so much! laugh now I need to find a nice little tote to keep all of this in! My horse has lage tupperware bin FULL of her supplies tounge

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: ] #596183
07/24/08 10:59 PM
07/24/08 10:59 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Val's book is awesome (we got to see one TGI brought to the ISS)! I was lucky to have had a glider emergency kit the last night, only I didn't need it for them, I needed stuff in it for me because I dropped a pair of cutters and took a huge chunk out of my calf and the kids have used all my bandaids tant So, neosporin, guaze and tape held me over till I drove to the ER for my stitches..

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: BeckiT] #596195
07/24/08 11:19 PM
07/24/08 11:19 PM

B
BriteEyez
Unregistered
BriteEyez
Unregistered
B

Wow! Glad to know that suggie kits can be supplemented for people aide kits too! tounge

I have done that with my horses kit when I have hurt myself up at the barn in the past!

Oh how I hate (am deathly afraid of) ER's!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 191 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Malibu_Stacie000, Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll
7325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,375
Posts159,170
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,325
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Introductions are time sensitive
by Malibu_Stacie000. 04/08/24 10:39 AM
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
850,273 TEXAS
679,559 OHIO
487,765 OKLAHOMA
432,758 UTAH
322,265 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024