Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
gizmo amp update #609845
08/11/08 10:47 PM
08/11/08 10:47 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline OP
Glider Slave

kentucky
Well as you all know gizmo was back in today to get all but mabey a inch of his tail amputated. Im not sure why the tail died. He was doing well the surgery did well. The only thing i noticed was the end of his tail was hard about a half inch and i took him into the vet but she felt it still looked good and that it was prob scar tissue. We agreed on another week to keep his wrap on due to him going back with hunni. I checked his tail every couple of days and yesterday dicided it was time for the wrap to come off. I got him out and to my horror he had ripped his tail open pretty bad. I then took the wrap off and found the tail dead and hard. This happend(the tail dying)in only a couple of days. He ripped it open that day. I had him out the night befor and it was not there. I called my vet i work for and she said to bring him in and we will take the rest of the tail.

Now im not sure if this is done comenly in glider tail amputation but after we discused it we dicided to use the laser. It went very well and he was under half the time of his last tail amputation. I was able to be there and assist. We left the skin just a tad longer and then were able to pull the skin down and close the wound. We did use glue but we did not want to go with the stitch again this time just in case. He will be in this collar for a couple of months so im ok with the glue. The little part that is left was swelled but we are hoping it is due to the sming he did. The bone and everything in the tail looked good so if all goes well he will be able to at least keep about .5 inches of the tail. He is in a 38 gallen rept with nothing but a peice of fleece. I have gotten the collar so he can not slip it off again i hope. I have put the cage next to hunni's in hopes she will calm him a bit. When hubby got home i grabbed a few hrs of sleep as im sure im in for a long night. I will be taking him in tomorrow and my vet will be looking at him and i will be there the next day as well. She wants to see him every few days at least to make sure everything is going well.

The surgery went very well and we had alot of interested people in the room lol. Gizmo is there first glier surgery. My vet assisted in his last surgery so she has been thru one but the other guys have not. So my guy had 2 vets, 3 vet techs and mommy in the room helping. Mommy even got to run the gas machine for her little guy.

I should have gotten pics for you guys but this was kinda a emg surgery and i was really worried about just him.

Any idea those of you that have been thru this as to what could have caused his tail to die? Could there have been more damage to the nerves then was visable? The vet that did his surgery the first time did a good job and i followed her instructions to a T.

Please keep him in your thoughts. I hope for a full recovery this time.

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #609859
08/11/08 10:55 PM
08/11/08 10:55 PM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Oh Gizmo's poor tail frown

But I am glad to hear that the procedure went well...and he will heal up great and be back to his ol' self again! Guess you could lovingly call him "Nub" for short now smile

I got my fingers crossed for you and for Gizmo!

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ] #609870
08/11/08 11:02 PM

G
glidernanny
Unregistered
glidernanny
Unregistered
G

Glad to hear the surgery went smoothly and he's doing well now dance. Hope that the swelling dissipates quickly as I'm sure that must be painful for him.

Give me a yell if you need me. I'll pm u my home phone in case i don't hear my cell-I'll be outside tomorrow finishing up work on the chicken coop but your skin boy is welcome to come hang with us while you take Giz in to get checked if you don't have a sitter.

Call my cell if you want I'm usually up til atleast 2, usually 4 and I'll have it in my pocket in the suggie room. hug2

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ] #609871
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
LOL i will prob nick name him nub nub. He is our first glier we got and so he olds a bit more of a soft spot in our hearts. Im really hoping this will be the end of the tail prob with him. I just hope he did not do so much damage that we have to go back in and remove the last part to his spine. It is hard to say how much he has left. Prob .5 of the tail.

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed!

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #609874
08/11/08 11:06 PM
08/11/08 11:06 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
Angel,

Thanks for the offer on the sitter hug2 He goes to school half day mon - thur so i can go during this time but ill keep u in mind if there is a emg. Im still up for our...well i mean our KIDS wink playdate on friday but i may need to have it at my house again if that is not too much trouble as it will be easyer with the joeys and gizmo. I will make us some lunch sense it is my turn for that lol.

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #610091
08/12/08 07:04 AM
08/12/08 07:04 AM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Melissa,
Hoping Gizmo gets better and back to himself ASAP and you're doing a great job! I don't know much about tail amputation so I don't want to put my 2 cents in, but Val or Shawna would maybe....see if they come along....

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: angelic4296] #610099
08/12/08 07:35 AM
08/12/08 07:35 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Melissa,
Darwin had to have part of his tail amputated in February. It seemed to be healing well, then one night he SMd and removed the tissue from the end of his tail exposing about 5 mm of bone. He went in for further amputation and they removed another inch of his tail. He has a 3" nub remaining now. It took a very long time for the nub to heal and he had to be separated from his cage mate for another 3 months (so 4 months altogether). We did not use an e-collar on him beyond the first 2 weeks but I did keep a very close eye/ear on him and he stayed in my room for the first couple of months.
I had placed his reptarium on top of the Glider Condo where his cage mate lives in half and Mareki lives in the other half. This allowed him to have their companionship without physical contact. If there is room in Hunni's cage, you can put Gizmo's rept directly inside her cage so they can have "limited access" to each other. It will keep both of their spirits up.
For setting up the reptarium, I used No Sew Rept Gear with a couple of No Sew Corner Hammocks and a Happy Dancer Rope for him to climb on. Once the e-collar was off, I added a Wodent Wheel to the cage for him to run off his energy on. I was able to hang his feeding troughs on the side of the Rept by using PVC coated Landware Cloth hung from the Rept Gear with shallow bowls underneath to catch any drips, he also had a pouch hanging from one end of the rept. If pictures would help with your rept set-up, let me know & I can take some for you.
You're doing a great job with Gizmo and with the joeys hug2 hug2 hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: sugarglidersuz] #610102
08/12/08 07:44 AM
08/12/08 07:44 AM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Suz, is there a question you CAN'T answer thoroughly and completely? lol I was actually going to tell her to watch for your response too, but I recently let someone posting know about your experience with hand rearing joeys, so I was being prudent lol.

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: angelic4296] #610167
08/12/08 09:43 AM
08/12/08 09:43 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
So sorry to hear about Gizmo.

Feel free to call me any time. I'm happy to help if I can. PMing my phone number.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: angelic4296] #610200
08/12/08 10:11 AM
08/12/08 10:11 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: angelic4296
Suz, is there a question you CAN'T answer thoroughly and completely? lol I was actually going to tell her to watch for your response too, but I recently let someone posting know about your experience with hand rearing joeys, so I was being prudent lol.
off_topic Jess, there are definitely subjects I don't know the answers to... but unfortunately, I've had a lot of experience with health issues with my gliders frown

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: sugarglidersuz] #610303
08/12/08 12:36 PM
08/12/08 12:36 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Melissa, if I had an answer to your ? about WHY Gizmo had to go through a second surgery....then I could quit my DAY JOB!!! (in my dreams...)

I've been down that road three times before (and am still tentatively there with Magellan now), and I don't have any concrete answers. It's one of "those mysteries" of nature. I'm still scratching my head over WHY Magellan is being such a PISTOL, when Monty got his tail bobbed (emergency surgery thing there, too--welcome home from the SGGA, missed you, look what I did?) and was back with MoJo and Max in less than 72 hours. They're both from the SAME PARENTS, lived in the SAME CAGE, what gives? dunno

I will do one thing for you: That is to pray that things HEAL this time, that Hunni & the babies don't alienate Gizmo when he CAN be back with them, and that you don't worry yourself to a fine frazzle before it's all said & done. (I'm doing enough of that myself) And GIVE YOU A BUNCH OF hug2 hug2 hug2

Last edited by minkasmom; 08/12/08 12:36 PM. Reason: emoticon issues

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: minkasmom] #610386
08/12/08 02:30 PM
08/12/08 02:30 PM

M
Mayetze
Unregistered
Mayetze
Unregistered
M

Melissa-

I went through similar SMing and such with Minnie Mouse.

Give me a call after 4 today (MT) 720-985-9796.

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ] #610714
08/12/08 10:56 PM
08/12/08 10:56 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Awe poor Gizmo, I hope the little guy heals up fast and does't SM again.

Saying a prayer for the little guy.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: Feather] #610785
08/13/08 12:48 AM
08/13/08 12:48 AM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
Sorry i have not updated. To all that have replyed I have read and have numbers to call but i have been so over welmed i just have not been able to get on the phone. I promise i will call so we can compaire notes and mabey i can gain a little insight to why or what could have caused this.

Gizmo is doing great. The second surgery was done via laser and i think it greatly reduced his pain level. He has bounced back so much faster pain wise then the last one. His tail nock on wood looks good. I have to syringe feed him his HPW so i at least know he is getting something and then i put a big chunk of fruit and veggy in so he can eat some.

I updated the rejection post for all those that are reading that as well.

Again thanks so much for the support and help hug2

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #612409
08/14/08 10:37 PM
08/14/08 10:37 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
Gizmo is still doing well. He has to stay in teh collar as he likes to go after the glue. He gets playtime with his family under my supervision out of the collar for a hr or so depending on how long he will leave his tail alone. The doc has been seeing him every other day and is happy with his healing.

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #612674
08/15/08 07:29 AM
08/15/08 07:29 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
clap clap clap Excellent news! I'm so happy for you hug2

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #612684
08/15/08 07:42 AM
08/15/08 07:42 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
That is wonderful news!!!!! I know all too well the pain of getting so close and then starting all over again! I'm glad he is able to have time with his family, too! Keep up the good work!

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: pappy1264] #612875
08/15/08 01:15 PM
08/15/08 01:15 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
Thanks guys! He is a little booger let me tell you! He got his collar off! I have to duck tape the snaps closed so he cant hang it on something and let me tell you he TRIES to get it hung.

He is oh so happy to see his jeoys and mate each night. Really i think he would be fine to go with them but i need to make sure his tail is healed better first. I also want the joeys to be a little more stronger so this collar does not scare them.

It is so weird to watch him now without his tail. That little stump is so funny. I nick named him my little nub nub. When he walkes up his cage he swings his back end. I wonder how long he will adjust? He is very unsteady when he jumps but i think as time goes on he will get better.

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #612890
08/15/08 01:38 PM
08/15/08 01:38 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
It is just like a dog with an amputated leg, they have to make adjustments on how they do things, but they get it. Animals do what they need to do to survive. They are blessed to not have the 'oh, I don't have my body part' thing humans do. He will be back with them full time before you know it! And I know what a glorious day that will be!! Now, think back to that first night, just for a second. Isn't it amazing how much stronger you are then you thought you were!!! (And Gizmo, as well!)

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: pappy1264] #613955
08/16/08 10:27 PM
08/16/08 10:27 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
OMG that is so true! I was a wreck. I paced the floors all night for the first few days. He still trys to use the big eyes to get me but i have grown used to them.

Now for all you who have had a glider in a e collar with a wound PKEASEEEEEEEEE tell me how i can get it into his head how bad it is to chew on his tail! He has figured out how to drag the collor along the wall of the rept and unsnap the collar. He pulled some of the glue off and chewed a small wound on his tail. It is ok and not alot of damage done. I have had to start taping the collar with duck tape. He is such a little booger!

The vet looked at his tail and besides the chewing he did it looks good. So we are very hope full it will heal well.

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #614019
08/16/08 11:44 PM
08/16/08 11:44 PM

M
Mayetze
Unregistered
Mayetze
Unregistered
M

Collosate with Bitrex or EMT spray do wonders SERIOUSLY!

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ] #614151
08/17/08 08:03 AM
08/17/08 08:03 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Melissa,
Do ask your vet about the Collosate spray - it really does make wounds heal much more quickly than they otherwise would.
As for preventing him from chewing his nub, there's really not a lot you can do besides the e-collar. Although I think Jen/Xfilefan may have a different type of collar you might be able to try (and I don't mean the shot-glass style e-collar either). You might want to call her and ask - her cell # is 435-640-9438. She works 3rd shift, so if you get her voicemail, make sure to leave a message and she'll call you back once she's awake again wink

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 08/17/08 08:04 AM.

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: sugarglidersuz] #614697
08/17/08 09:57 PM
08/17/08 09:57 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I was going to say 'duck tape'...lol They surely keep us on our toes! Hopefully Jen can help!

Mary
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: pappy1264] #615672
08/19/08 12:47 AM
08/19/08 12:47 AM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
thanks guys for all the help and ideas. I will deff talk to the vet about the gel and spray.

as for the collar he is in the sattlight one with the snaps and mole skin. Suz the one Jenn has is it like this or better? I have added mole extra mole skin for added fit and taped it so he cant GET it cought on somthing to get it off.

I have mad the leap to put him back with family. He will stay in the collar untill his tail is fully healed. Hunni so far does not seem to mess with his tail. I give them at least 1-2 hrs each night together with the jeoys and i have even took his collar off under my direct supervision. He is so sweet. He will eat a bit then love on hunni and to finish off with curling around his girls and go to sleep.

I was thinking of going back to the shot glass collar and fiting it snug and a bug so it would not twist then cutting shorter around the ears and tp of head leaving it longer under the chin so he could not curl up and chew but freeing up his ears and head. Has anyone tried this?

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #616286
08/19/08 06:23 PM
08/19/08 06:23 PM

M
Mayetze
Unregistered
Mayetze
Unregistered
M

^You know I thought about doing that as well, but they are such gymnasts that if he really needed to "itch" that spot he could put his face towards the ground and bite at it that way.

Last edited by Mayetze; 08/19/08 06:24 PM.
Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ] #622847
08/27/08 10:08 PM
08/27/08 10:08 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
Well i opted out not to clip the collar shorter.

Gizmo is such a butt. I had his collar off for 1 min to clean it and his tail was healing good. He went right for it and opened it up. I took him to the vet and we opted out putting glue on it as it had already started to close. I am putting wound gel on it from the vet and from now on he will be held while i clean the collar. He just set his healing back. I know for a fact he will not be coming out of the collar till it is healed and hair has grown back. Life is back to normal with him and his family. He sometimes sleeps in the pouch and sometimes ops for the hamik. He is not loosing a bunch of weight so that is good.

Re: gizmo amp update [Re: ssdreamsicles] #622870
08/27/08 10:35 PM
08/27/08 10:35 PM

A
akoehler
Unregistered
akoehler
Unregistered
A

Awesome everything is good with your little one!!! dance dance When you asked what could cause a tail to die I have had to deal with this with my ferrets. My ferret had tail get stuck in his cage door. It was spring hinged. It was barely 30 seconds to 1 minute, but it was enough for his tail to loose blood supply/ do damage. we had to get his tail amputated. Unfortunately, it takes no time for this to happen in animals. By the time they find out it hurts it does its damage. So any little thing that might have been able to trap the tail even for a sec could have killed the tail. IDK...just a thought!!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024