Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What about crickets from "the wild"? #613753
08/16/08 06:12 PM
08/16/08 06:12 PM

C
caelainn
Unregistered
caelainn
Unregistered
C

Still trying to find the "safest" alternative for crickets (follow my posts about breeding as well if you're interested). If you know the crickets in the "wild" (i.e. my backyard) are not exposed to pesticide and they aren't eating corn, are they safer than raised ones? Anyone can chime in here and I'm not looking for a 100% scientific assurance of course.

Re: What about crickets from "the wild"? [Re: ] #613755
08/16/08 06:15 PM
08/16/08 06:15 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
If you know the crickets in the "wild" (i.e. my backyard)

Can you guarantee that those crickets have NEVER been in anyone elses backyard?

Crickets travel just like ants, flies, mosquitos etc...

This time of year I never recommend grabbing outside bugs. Mosquito wagons going up and down streets to spray...just not worth the risk.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Loveďż˝ Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: What about crickets from "the wild"? [Re: Srlb] #613756
08/16/08 06:16 PM
08/16/08 06:16 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
You do not want to use outdoor bugs as you never know if they have been in contact with pesticides.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: What about crickets from "the wild"? [Re: cinnamonstix] #614065
08/17/08 12:31 AM
08/17/08 12:31 AM

C
caelainn
Unregistered
caelainn
Unregistered
C

Oh well, back to square one on the cricket experiment. I'm still hopeful I can find a way to have "clean" crickets. If the crickets aren't housed in any grain based bedding, then doesn't that mostly solve the problem, as long as you keep the cage clean as well? If the aflatoxin is a living thing (of sorts) would I need to worry about it in what I was feeding the crickets as long as there was no chance of mold growth (i.e in the store bought dog food). What about microwaving the dog food before I feed it to the crickets? would that help in any way?

Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: Srlb] #614067
08/17/08 12:38 AM
08/17/08 12:38 AM

C
caelainn
Unregistered
caelainn
Unregistered
C

Would any of your aflatoxin prevention steps you gave for nuts be appropriate to implement here with the cricket dog chow I am trying to come up with? (the ingredients etc. are given in my other recent post on trying to breed safe crickets) Would love your input. Even fruits and veggies could mold, so no matter what I use it seems I need to take prevention steps right?

Re: Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: ] #614078
08/17/08 01:21 AM
08/17/08 01:21 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
Since mold grows where it's humid, perhaps raising them in a small room with a dehumidifier might help? I honestly don't know. Maybe you can ask some local pet stores what they do and take the best of their practice and toss out the rest. dunno

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: KattyM] #614098
08/17/08 03:01 AM
08/17/08 03:01 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Corn, grain products, dairy nuts and coconut can all grow the correct mold that creates aflotoxin poisining. It is called Aspergillus mold. Fruits and veggies do not grow it so if you feed fruits and veggies keep them off whatever type of bedding use use and keep the bedding as dry as possible but fruits and veggies, yes that can mold but it is not the mold that can create aflotoxin poisoning.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty

Re: Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: cinnamonstix] #614100
08/17/08 03:04 AM
08/17/08 03:04 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
BTW, you never know....there could still have been mold in store bought dog food, I would not risk feeding it to the crickets. Also you will need a water source but not enough water to drown. Maybe that water and food gel with some apple or potato wedge changed daily would be good. Try emailing the people over at express crickets. Supposedly they are disease free... nit sure what bedding they use and what they feed. My superworms came fast, cheap and healthy. Drop them a line and see what info you can get on their crickets. All prices include next day shipping and they are VERY reasonable!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: cinnamonstix] #614292
08/17/08 12:51 PM
08/17/08 12:51 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Aflatoxin is not a live substance, but a 'side effect' of the Aspergillus mold. Yes, if you rid their environment of grain based products entirely, by feeding only fresh fruits/veggies, then the offspring would (in effect) be even safer than mealworms. But, that is difficult to do, and the hope is that you are making the offspring as safe as mealworms are by avoiding anything with corn and using safe sources of other grain products as well as keeping excess moisture down. thumb

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: sugarlope] #614312
08/17/08 01:28 PM
08/17/08 01:28 PM

P
PeeperKeeper
Unregistered
PeeperKeeper
Unregistered
P

I'm going to go a bit against the grain here and say that I do occasionally feed "wild caught" bugs. Yes there is a risk that they've been exposed to pesticide, but where I live I feel the risk is low. They don't do the mosquito sprays around here and I'm pretty well separated from my neighbors as everyone has several acres. The lot to my right doesn't have a finished house yet, I know at least the one directly across the street does only organic pest control and there's nothing but woods behind me for at least a mile, although they're starting to cut roads for a new development.

I discussed this with my vet and he felt it was worth the risk to get more variety in their diet. I don't feed them wild caughts very often, but I do sometimes give them a treat if I find a good bug outside. They love junebugs! I thought they would like grubworms since they are junebug larvae, but they won't touch them. dunno

Re: Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: ] #614328
08/17/08 02:10 PM
08/17/08 02:10 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Well for you to feed wild caught is completely different than us city folk. I would love to be able to catch my babies a treat, even a moth every once in a while, but it is not happeneing. You have talked to your vet and he should be credible and be able to be respected so if he said it is ok and with you being a bit more out there at least for now...I definitely can respect his input on it.

Now if you have corn fields there though, I personally would not take that risk, as I have read a lot on aflotixin, aspergillus mold and aspergillosis. Scary stuff.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: ] #614329
08/17/08 02:14 PM
08/17/08 02:14 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
Would any of your aflatoxin prevention steps you gave for nuts be appropriate to implement here with the cricket dog chow

Just wanted to let you know, I did not write that, I just fixed the sticky post when I was a Mod here. So cant be of any help to you there.

I have to agree with Peeper though, I have as well fed the occassional outside junebug, BUT our mosquito wagon does not start coming around until the rain sets in and by then Junebugs have come and gone so I dont feel the threat is high of pesticides.

I dont feed crickets, never have, but I am sure if you just raised your own and kept a good eye on it and made sure you never had any type of mold issues, it wouldnt be a problem.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Loveďż˝ Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: Srlb] #614508
08/17/08 05:05 PM
08/17/08 05:05 PM

Z
Zoey_Girl
Unregistered
Zoey_Girl
Unregistered
Z

I don't know about raising crickets but, would it be ok to feed them monkey biscuits instead of dog food? Would it work? Would it grow mold? To keep my mealie food from getting moldy I put the fruit on a plastic lid so that it doesn't come into contact with the oatmeal.

Re: Peggy can you guide me on something? [Re: ] #614646
08/17/08 07:53 PM
08/17/08 07:53 PM

C
caelainn
Unregistered
caelainn
Unregistered
C

The monkey biscuit is a great idea. I was looking at other dog/cat treats instead of chow to see if I could find one without grains (just protein based). Right now, my plan is to do the following to diminish chances as much as possible:
1) Keep them in a plastic bin with no bedding, just egg crates and paper towel rolls. This makes it easiest to keep clean.
2) If the monkey biscuit isn't enough protein, I'll go to the dog food that is chicken and corn free (only risky ingredient is the whole wheat flour I guess) for the breeders.
3) With the babies (2nd generation) I'll feed the ones I'm going to use to feed the gliders just fruits, veggies and a protein source if I can find one (fish?)

Will follow up on all the latest suggestions and keep giving updates if folks are interested in how this goes. Thanks to everyone. Keep the input coming!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024