Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is Giardia? #626457
09/01/08 09:17 PM
09/01/08 09:17 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Okay, I'm not a newbie, and I don't have any sick gliders (thank God). I am trying to put together some notes for myself here, and any of you experienced with this, if you could give input, that would be awesome!

So, what is Giardia? Signs/symptoms?
How is it diagnosed? Best tests?
How is it spread?
How do you contain it?
How do you treat it (general med info, no dosages, please)?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: USMom] #626462
09/01/08 09:24 PM
09/01/08 09:24 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

I have only had one run in with giardia. My friend bought a glider and didnot know she was sick.
Some of her signs and symptoms were lethargy, diaherra and vomiting.
its best diagnosed by your vet running a fecal
its spread by contact with affected food and water or sometimes by touching where an affected animal has been.
its contained by treatment of the animal and cleaning and sanitizing the housing and bedding.
metronidazole is most commonly prescribed for sugar gliders as treatment.

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: ] #626468
09/01/08 09:28 PM
09/01/08 09:28 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
On the Diagnosis, is that a float or smear? I hear that it isn't always seen on the first test. Is that true?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: USMom] #626471
09/01/08 09:32 PM
09/01/08 09:32 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

a fecal float
if the glider is actually demonstarting symptoms they usually show up in the first test- but they can carry it until something (like a move to a new owner or home) weakens their immune symptoms and they acting then get sick.

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: ] #626482
09/01/08 09:55 PM
09/01/08 09:55 PM
Columbia, SC
saturngirl Offline
Glider Slave
saturngirl  Offline
Glider Slave

Columbia, SC
stress can trigger giardia....it can remain dormant in a glider up to 6 months.

I bought a suggie that had giardia and the person I got her from didn't know she had it. She had been vet checked and was fine. I got her home and she was so stressed by leaving her parents. She looked completely healthy but I started noticing that her stool looked a little watery. She was eating and playing fine. I think it was day 3 of her being home with me and I had her out playing on me and she pooped and it was a bright golden yellow color and in diarrhea form. I called the vet and they saw me the next day. Luckily, the vet said it was the at the beginning stage. The vet let me see the giardia under the microscope. Treatment worked great for my little Sophie. Luckily, I hadn't begin intros with her and Cooper yet and I washed my hands and used hand santizier after handling each suggie before handling the other one. So, the vet said this kept Cooper from getting it.

I would completely santizie Sophie's cage every night until I knew she was well. I had her in a smaller cage anyway and I would clean her cage set and toys nightly too. When I got Sophie out to play with her we would go into the guest bathroom since it's tiny and then I would santize and change clothes then have playtime with Cooper in the guest bedroom. So they were never out in the same room.

Last edited by saturngirl; 09/01/08 09:59 PM.

*~*Tara*~*
5~suggies "mini" Cooper & Sophie
Paisley, Maci & Smurf
2 ~cats Kia and Gabby~
1 ~silly puppy Darci~

Rest in Peace Chili Pepper dog...you will always have a special place in my heart

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: saturngirl] #626484
09/01/08 10:01 PM
09/01/08 10:01 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

Thanks Tara! You said what i meant to say when i said "something" weakens their immune system smile i sort of got side tracked lol

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: ] #626489
09/01/08 10:06 PM
09/01/08 10:06 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
The glider we brought home 2 weeks ago didn't act sick, no diarreah, nothing...but tested postitive for Giardia at our vet. She's being retested tomorrow to see if it's gone yet. She had NO symptoms.

Our first two rescues had diarreah, bad odor when they peed or poo'd and acted sick. They both had Giardia.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: What is Giardia? [Re: SugarBlossoms] #626498
09/01/08 10:17 PM
09/01/08 10:17 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
So if they have it and are symptom free, ie, not sick, can they spread it to other gliders?

Shawna

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: USMom] #626513
09/01/08 10:33 PM
09/01/08 10:33 PM
Columbia, SC
saturngirl Offline
Glider Slave
saturngirl  Offline
Glider Slave

Columbia, SC
I would think another glider could still get it. I think if they're symptom free then it may just be the beginnings of the giardia.

My vet said that it's when another glider comes in contact w/the poop of the glider that has giardia is when a healthy glider can get it.

My vet also said that people and my other animals could get it from Sophie. So, that was another reason to keep her stuff clean. I would keep a thin blanket covering her cage to contain her poop.

*~*Tara*~*
5~suggies "mini" Cooper & Sophie
Paisley, Maci & Smurf
2 ~cats Kia and Gabby~
1 ~silly puppy Darci~

Rest in Peace Chili Pepper dog...you will always have a special place in my heart

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: saturngirl] #626572
09/01/08 11:42 PM
09/01/08 11:42 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Yes, it can still be spread even without symptoms frown

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: SugarBlossoms] #626575
09/02/08 01:21 AM
09/02/08 01:21 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Thanks, guys! I have a spreadsheet of information that I keep on my gliders, and have started an illness sheet. I've filled in what I have already dealt with, and am starting on the things that I have not personally dealt with. I'll be asking more questions, because the more you know...

But, if you have more information, please post it! Tips, tricks, hints, etc...

Shawna

Re: What is Giardia? [Re: USMom] #626577
09/02/08 01:24 AM
09/02/08 01:24 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
I will do my best to organize my thoughts on this so that it doesn't sound like rambling.

What is Giardia?
Giardia is a protozoan parasite that is quite common in humans and animals. It is the most common parasite found in dogs, cats, birds, cows, etc.

Giardia colonizes in the small intestine. It is not spread through the bloodstream or through other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.

Once colonized, giardia absorbs nutrients from the walls of the small intestine.

HOW Is it spread?
Giardia can be spread by the injestion of contaminated water or food, or through "poop to mouth" contact. In other words, in places where there is poor hygiene. We all know that our gliders are not the most hygienic. So, if giardia exists in the poop of one glider, and the glider comes in contact with that poop and then goes to give him/herself a bath, the giardia is spread.

It can also be spread to humans if you don't wash very well after coming in contact with a glider or cage that is infected with giardia.

Not all giardia infections are symptomatic. So, it is possible for yourself or your pet to be an unknowing host.

Cysts are excreted in the feces. Giardia cysts are VERY hardy and can survive months, even in cold or heat. Cysts also can survive without "hatching" in the small intestine of a glider for long periods of time (dormancy). Stress cna trigger a chemical reaction that will move the giardia out of dormancy.

WHAT are SIGNS/SYMPTOMS?

Colonization in the small intestine results initially in inflammation. We can't see this in our gliders, so often the very first sign we have is a change in behavior since the glider will be uncomfortable.

Other symptoms include:
* diarrhea
* malaise
* nausea
* decreased appetite
* weight loss
* foul smelling stools (may smell sulphuric)
* pain - this is often the cause of SM. ALL CLOACAL SMING GLIDERS SHOULD BE TESTED FOR GIARDIA.

It is important to note that gliders may not exhibit ALL symptoms, so a vet visit is warranted when any symptom is noted.

While not fatal to humans, Giardia is known to be fatal to smaller animals.

Fast and effective treatment is necessary!

What is the TREATMENT for Giardia?

Treatment is usually flagyl (metronidazole)

PREVENTION?

To prevent recurrence and to aid in treatment, CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN.

* Cages, toys and bedding should be cleaned with bleach and/or other disinfectants. Minimize toys and items in the cage until the infection has passed.

* QUARANTINE. This is VERY important. Gliders must be kept in a separate cage. It is best if they are also in a separate room.

* Utilize a cage cover to minimize the chance of Poop being thrown outside of the cage

* Provide only bottled water

* Wash VERY well after handling a glider or cage infected with giardia. Change clothing that might have come in contact with infected surfaces immediately after handling the glider or cage. Disinfect door knobs, etc (any surface you might have touched) after as well. It is best if you wear gloves to do this type of cleaning.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What is Giardia? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #626601
09/02/08 02:33 AM
09/02/08 02:33 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
When I dealing with Giardia in my house, it was recommended to me that I change shoes at the door (have a pair of shoes worn only in their room) so that I didn't track anything out. And to bleach everything. As Val said, Giardia (when in liquid or moist poo) can stay viable for a very long time, so be aware of not only what is in the cage but what is on and around the cage particularly if you have other animals that could easily come into contact with it.

As for symptoms, Maia started eating less and then became very lethargic and dehydrated - she never had diarrhea or soft stool at all. One of my others started having diarrhea after they started being treated.

One of my gliders had a serious reaction to the Metro, so my vet looked it up on VIN and they told her that Metro (Flagyl) was the only med that could be used to properly treat Giardia.

As a side note, in animals with depressed immune systems or other similar health problems, Giardia can become chronic and they become carriers. After treatment, it is also very wise to check, recheck, recheck and recheck. The vets I have spoken to suggest rechecks every 3 months (symptoms or not).

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: What is Giardia? [Re: sugarlope] #626641
09/02/08 05:59 AM
09/02/08 05:59 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I would add that if one glider in a cage has it, all should be treated in that cage even if no others show symptoms. Otherwise they could pass it back and forth and chronically reinfect each other.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: What is Giardia? [Re: sugarlope] #626846
09/02/08 02:05 PM
09/02/08 02:05 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Originally Posted By: sugarlope

As a side note, in animals with depressed immune systems or other similar health problems, Giardia can become chronic and they become carriers. After treatment, it is also very wise to check, recheck, recheck and recheck. The vets I have spoken to suggest rechecks every 3 months (symptoms or not).

This is VERY important!!!! Even after a negative test, Izzy showed positive a month later. Since she has a tumor also, her immunity is down.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024