Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fleas #626607
09/02/08 02:41 AM
09/02/08 02:41 AM

A
aronoiiel
Unregistered
aronoiiel
Unregistered
A

just found out my poor pup has fleas what risks do they post to my gliders? what do you suggest i do to clean the apartment but not harm the gliders? Any help is appreciated I've never had fleas before so I'm totally not sure what to do.

Re: Fleas [Re: ] #626615
09/02/08 02:50 AM
09/02/08 02:50 AM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
If you have to bomb the apt, remove the gliders for at least 8 hours...if you are just treating the pup, make sure you wash your hands really well after using any chemicals (flea shampoo etc) before handling the gliders...jmho...

peace~carolyn

"Your mind is the birthplace of ingenuity and then you need your heart as the Mediator..." ~Lil C
Re: Fleas [Re: hipbchik] #626618
09/02/08 02:58 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
First off...I am leaving in all my original info...but this is something I replied to on a similar post a bit back:

If you (speaking generally about anyone...not you...lol) have fleas in your home...it is best to keep other animals away from your gliders and treat the animals in your home ASAP. If a glider eats fleas, which is what would happen IF a glider has fleas on them, they would groom the fleas off and can eat them...and fleas cause tapeworm in gliders.

Tapeworm can be tested by a fecal by your vet, and the meds I was prescribed for my rescue girl whom acually came to me with tapeworm was just a three day dose of some chalky looking liquid the vet prescribed her. We did a re-test a couple weeks after she was off the meds and it was all gone! If she would have tested positive...meds would have been administered again of course.

I noticed she was very thin, boney in the backbone...when her test came back positive...not much surprise. You can also watch the poo for signs of worms...but I did not see any...so you never know.

Tapeworm is not common in gliders, however is easy to diagnose and treat. If left untreated...you could have SERIOUS issues and ultimitely death as the tapeworm is stealing nutrients and food the glider takes in, so always watch to the signs if you have had fleas in your home...and if you are visiting with a friend at thier house...before bringing your gliders...might be wise to make sure they are flea-free before bringing your suggies.

It (tapeworm) can not be passed between gliders...it is aquired through gliders eating fleas or raw meat.

So...Gliders do not get fleas really, no...but fleas are still cause for concern and can cause a threat to gliders.

Hope that helps everyone!

***As for using flea products on gliders...seriously dangerous....treat all other animals...wash hands I would say a few times before coming in contact with your gliders...for a few days after applying drops to other pets, wash hands BEFORE handing gliders still, and NO products should be used on gliders. They could become seriously ill, develop some sort of condition from the chemicals, or even die. NOT WORTH IT!

DO NOT use Tea Tree Oil...it is extremely hazardous the animals like cats...I would NOT advise for use around gliders. As for natural remedies...Eucalyptus deters fleas...so load up your babies cage. They will love you for it and it will smell good and help protect them!

http://www.eucproducts.com/

GOOD LUCK GETTING RID OF THEM!!!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: Fleas [Re: hipbchik] #626619

A
aronoiiel
Unregistered
aronoiiel
Unregistered
A

we are going to start her on flea treatment tomorrow I don't think we need to bomb as we just noticed it on her and haven't noticed it anywhere else. She sleeps in the same room as us and even lays on our bed and we haven't noticed them or got bitten so I'm hoping it's a small investation and has been discovered soon enough to treat her and be done with it heh. I just want to know what dangers they pose to my gliders if any?

Re: Fleas [Re: ] #626622
09/02/08 03:02 AM
09/02/08 03:02 AM

A
aronoiiel
Unregistered
aronoiiel
Unregistered
A

Thank you so much for that info Gwen that is extremely helpful. Luckily our cats are not around our dog and they have no fleas right now. We are going to isolate our dog and get her treatment started. Thanks for the replies you've really helped ease a worried heart heh.

Re: Fleas [Re: ] #626624
09/02/08 03:21 AM
09/02/08 03:21 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Well I would reccomend just getting some drops on the cats too just to be safe. Just because you do not see them does not mean they are not there...all it takes is one female with eggs to get on your kitties and POOF!

Best to treat all cats and dogs at once.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty

Re: Fleas [Re: cinnamonstix] #626653
09/02/08 06:26 AM
09/02/08 06:26 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
If your puppy has fleas then I guarantee that you need to treat the entire house frown Even though you may not see evidence of the fleas anywhere, the eggs that they drop are very tiny and can be dropped anywhere the dog has been. Your bedding and the carpet in your bedroom especially need to be treated since that is where your puppy sleeps. The bedding can be treated by washing it in hot water (use bleach if possible).
In the past, when my Bittah got tapeworms (from the fleas my sister's dog brought into the house while I was dog-sitting) I used "Raid: Flea Killer Plus, Carpet & Room Spray". I did one room at a time and moved the gliders to a room at the far end of the house for 8 hours. Follow the directions on the can specifically and it will make a huge difference because it also kills the hatching eggs.
HTH

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Fleas [Re: sugarglidersuz] #626772
09/02/08 11:59 AM
09/02/08 11:59 AM

A
aronoiiel
Unregistered
aronoiiel
Unregistered
A

Thank you suz that's great info I'll deffinately do that but I have a problem with moving the cage as it's HUGE I can dissasemble it and put it outside and put them in a travel cage though. Would that be ok for them until we get the house treated?

Re: Fleas [Re: ] #626808
09/02/08 01:00 PM
09/02/08 01:00 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Just be very careful if putting the cage outside....if you have someone esacpe outside chances are you will not find them.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: Fleas [Re: cinnamonstix] #626852
09/02/08 02:30 PM
09/02/08 02:30 PM

A
aronoiiel
Unregistered
aronoiiel
Unregistered
A

nono lol i won't put my kids outside in it just break the cage down and put it outside and put our kids in a travel cage and maybe have a neighbor, who has a glider and is on here, watch them until the apartment is clear heh. Thank you Gwen and everyone for helping me keep our fur kids safe

Re: Fleas [Re: ] #626871
09/02/08 03:53 PM
09/02/08 03:53 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
If you have any tarp or anything you can just spray and not have to move the spray. I guess it more depends on what you are using for spray. There is aerosol sprays, there are bombs, and there are pump spray like a water spray bottle. The bombs you would need to remove ALL fabrics or wash everything before use. As for the aerosol, that can kind of drift around and astray so I would just cover everything so it can not get any spray drifted to it and as for the ones with the nozzle like a water bottle, that shoots in a stream and as long as it is not splashing should mostly only go where you srap it. This is what I use for my Mpt when I spray for bugs....although I have not sprayed in ages.

Keep the windows open and make sure it is not smelly at all when you bring everyone back in and you should be good. Wash your hands like five times before you even think of handling your gliders.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024