Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bugs for food #631367
09/09/08 04:55 AM
09/09/08 04:55 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Here is what I have tried with my babies and here is what they say:

Waxies: 7 out of 7-we love them! I have 4 (Ivy and my trio of babies) that prefer them over all bugs. Cocoons go over just as well and Willow ate the only moth we ever had with pride.

Mealies: 7 out of 7-we love them! Aleins go over just as well, beetles are not so much of a hit around here. Howie rips just about anything to shreds....but otherwise...flop.

Phoenix Worms:2 out of 7 (Meeko and Gracie) eat them because they are there, 1 out of 7 (Howie) eats all bugs agressively even these I guess. Fern threw hers, Willow shook her head literally after bitting it, Ivy and Icarus will not touch them. Great calcium content, BIG flop.

Super Worms:6 out of 7-we love them. Ivy WILL NOT touch them, not even guts or an alien. Again I get a head shake, even with the guts. Only gliders that have had an alien from a super are Howie and Icarus....they loved them. Aliens are HARD to come by.

Willow is one of the only ones that has had a live cricket, she LOVED it but then we found out about aflotoxin, NOT worth the risk. No more crickets even though it was her favorite. We have choose not to do canned anymore either.

We have used canned grasshopper. Stinky an dnot a huge hit and lots of left over pieces.

Also only two of my gliders have had pinkies. Howie and Gracue were given dead thawed pinkies and I found pieces like a week later hiding under the cage, gross and NEVER again.

Well that is about it. Thought I would share. People are always looking for info on bugs fed...and now I have tried some that were in question like the phoenix worms. Enjoy.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: Bugs for food [Re: cinnamonstix] #631370
09/09/08 05:56 AM
09/09/08 05:56 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Gwen,
Thanks for sharing your gliders' reactions to the various bugs. I'm sure this will be very helpful information to those wondering which ones to offer their own gliders thumb

Personally, mine love mealies - in any way shape or form - freeze-dried, live, frozen, canned... doesn't matter, they gobble 'em up (as they're doing right now laugh )

Wax Worms - 9 of 11 LOVE wax worms (freeze-dried) but Pepe & Bittah will NOT eat them, no way, no how shakehead As for live - none of them will even touch them dunno Sadly though, when I tried to order more of the freeze-dried for my store stock yesterday, Exotic Nutrition told me they are out of stock and may not be getting anymore in frown

Super & Phoenix Worms - have never tried them dunno

Grasshoppers - I have only ever offered the freeze-dried ones to my gliders (which are no longer available through EN anyway) but they had mixed reviews. Only 4 of 11 would eat them shakehead

Crickets - mine really LOVE crickets. I will only feed them the ones from GrubCo though, so it's a very rare treat. I won't try to "farm" them at all. As soon as the order comes in, they all get live crickets. Then, the rest get frozen immediately so they have some for a couple of weeks after. Once gone, they have to wait for the next order... (I know about the aflatoxin scare, but... I still feed them anyway, upon occasion.) As for canned or freeze-dried, mine will eat them both ways, but don't like them nearly as much as the live ones wink

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Bugs for food [Re: sugarglidersuz] #631583
09/09/08 01:32 PM
09/09/08 01:32 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Cool, well hopefully some people can use the info. I was bored last night after working on a website for hours and decided to try the phoenix worms I bought and I remembered I was working on getting some super aliens. Only 4 out of 7 turned, three died as worms still. Those guys are tricky!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: Bugs for food [Re: sugarglidersuz] #631591
09/09/08 01:44 PM
09/09/08 01:44 PM

C
caelainn
Unregistered
caelainn
Unregistered
C

I'm in the process of raising crickets to be the most aflatoxin free I can get them (i.e. fed and housed in none of the danger elements like corn, nuts etc.) I've got my first generation already!!! Still trying to figure out the best diet for them to give them enough protein without compromising risks for aflatoxin. I'll be posting as I move forward! I'm dying to feed mine crickets some day soon.

Re: Bugs for food [Re: ] #631690
09/09/08 03:47 PM
09/09/08 03:47 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
All 6 of mine are crazy about waxworms too. Have you tried wax moths? All of mine LOVE wax moths and it is such great enrichment for them too!

All of mine LOVE their mealworms.

None of mine have had phoenix worms.

Only 4 of my kids have had superworms and Lili got bit by one and she was done with them from there. roflmao (The other 3 liked them, though).

Crickets are a definite favorite, when they get them. Maia and Cayden have never gotten crickets, but all of my older gliders are crazy about them and would choose them over any other food source if given the option. (I know the risk as well, but when Kira is really sick, Kira and Dakota get crickets every day because they keep her interested in eating).

Silkworms - another big favorite, all of mine love silkworms! (And silk moths, although I they haven't had many silk moths).

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Bugs for food [Re: sugarlope] #634914
09/13/08 08:36 AM
09/13/08 08:36 AM

P
PeeperKeeper
Unregistered
PeeperKeeper
Unregistered
P

I have two gliders.
Both love mealies, although Peeps is much more enthusiastic snatching them. I have to watch my fingers!

They will grudgingly accept an alien mealie, but not the beetles.

Neither will touch a phoenix worm.

Both love the occasional June bug I catch for them. ( I live where I can be relatively confident wild bugs are pesticide free. My vet encouraged me to find some variety for them.)

Peeps got her first live grasshopper a couple days ago and loved it! I've got one for Pipes now and will report later.

I haven't given pinkies, but by accident I gave them whatever the next stage up from there is and they weren't interested. I was glider sitting for a friend and he left the wrong size for me to give his glider and to try for mine.

Update: Piper devoured the grasshopper with more enthusiasm than I've seen from her! She is usually cautious, especially with new things, but Peeps must have told her the one the other day was really good!

Oh and on waxies, I gave them to Peeps several years ago and I yhink she ate one, wasn't crazy abput them. That was before I had Pipes, so she's never had them.

Last edited by PeeperKeeper; 09/13/08 08:51 AM. Reason: more info
Re: Bugs for food [Re: ] #635132
09/13/08 04:35 PM
09/13/08 04:35 PM

B
bambi5826
Unregistered
bambi5826
Unregistered
B

i have only tried mealies with my kids. they love them!!
but i may try the waxies too. most everyone here that posted said their kids love 'em, so mine may too.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 322 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,683 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024