Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Things That can go Wrong Breeding #650933
10/05/08 03:13 PM
10/05/08 03:13 PM

P
peace
Unregistered
peace
Unregistered
P

Post the info for new comers please.

Thing that can and DO go wrong when breeding Sugar Gliders.

Thank you.

Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: ] #650939
10/05/08 03:20 PM
10/05/08 03:20 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I'd say first concern is...

Mating wounds.

These can happen even with same sex pairs or neutered male/female pairs but are most common with breeding pairs. These happen when one glider gets overly dominant with another.

When mating, the male will bite down on the neck of the female to pin her down. If the female resists, it can lead to a nasty wound. There have been gliders ripped open from one shoulder to the other. These wounds can become infected and can cause death for the injured gliders.

When mating type wounds happen, the injured glider has to be seperated from all other gliders so it can heal. This generally takes a month or longer. If the female is pregnant, reintroductions can't always be done until AFTER the joeys are weened, leaving mom to raise the joey alone.

vet care is needed as well as antibiotics for infection or prevention of infection.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Dancing] #650943
10/05/08 03:24 PM
10/05/08 03:24 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Pulled joeys.

This is where there are joeys in pouch but for some reason or another, the mom decides to not be a mom at that time and she will "pull" the joeys. This can be because of stress, improper diet, something wrong with the joey that mom detects or mom just doesn't want to be a mom. Males can also pull the joeys from mom though I personally believe this is rare.

In breeding groups, other females might also "pull" the joey from the pregnant female. Perhaps out of jealousy?

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Dancing] #650947
10/05/08 03:26 PM
10/05/08 03:26 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Rejecting joeys.

This can happen from first day oop until weened age. Sometimes it is because the joey has some birth defect that we might not be able to see.

It can also happen if mom is not producing enough milk because of improper diet, stress or illness such as a pouch infection. Or again, if mom just doesn't want to be a mom.

620-704-9109

Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Dancing] #650950
10/05/08 03:29 PM
10/05/08 03:29 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Canabalized joeys.

This can happen for the same reasons as rejection. Only this is harder to accept. Canabalization also can happen if the joey dies and the natural instincts to keep the nest clean (to reduce the risk of attracting preditors) kicks in.

620-704-9109

Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Dancing] #650952
10/05/08 03:35 PM
10/05/08 03:35 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Rejected joeys can often be hand raised but this is very difficult and is not always successful. Depending on the age of the joey at time of rejection, the joey may need round the clock care with feedings as often as every 1 to 2 hours.

Joeys must be kept warm and must be stimulated to go potty.
Weight should be monitored to insure the joey is gaining weight.

Rejected joeys should not be used for future breeding as there is no way to know for sure WHY they were rejected.

620-704-9109

Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Dancing] #650968
10/05/08 04:07 PM
10/05/08 04:07 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Teresa's covered the main issues... but allow me to add something on the human side. Assumptions. When Todd first came OOP, I slowly began holding him each day in increasing amounts to tame him. But then I became sick. After a week of being too scared of getting him sick to hold him, I come back, and he's a crabby little bugger. You can't assume that just because the parents are tame, the babies will be, too. They have to be handled a bit every day in order to create loving, stable joeys that are able to thrive in a home environment. Otherwise, you'll have a time on your hands trying to tame or sell your wild joeys. They aren't like most puppies, who are pretty much used to humans the day they are born. wink They're still wild animals, and if not handled... they'll stay that way.

Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: ] #650971
10/05/08 04:13 PM
10/05/08 04:13 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Unexpected death

I have read here of people having everything going great and all of a sudden out of nowhere for no forseeable reason the joey dies weeks after being OOP.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Trigger] #650974
10/05/08 04:15 PM
10/05/08 04:15 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Loss of female

Not long ago here one of the member's momma glider died shortly after her joeys were OOP. Maybe she was sick before or maybe the strain of the pregnancy was too much.

Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Trigger] #650976
10/05/08 04:17 PM
10/05/08 04:17 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Parent gliders behavior changes

I have heard of some breeders sweetest, most beloved pet completely changing when they had joeys. It is possible to lose the wonderful bond you shared by breeding.

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Trigger] #650998
10/05/08 04:53 PM
10/05/08 04:53 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
Nutrition issues too

Even feeding an approved diet isnt a sure thing,, I feed HPW and my nursing mom wasnt getting enough calcium. My vet told me if I wasnt so in tune with my girl's behavior and brought her to him so quickly I could have lost her joeys and possibly her... has made me rethink if I really want her to have more joeys,,,,, I was a wreck and my little family all pulled thru fine in the end.

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Janie] #651161
10/05/08 10:09 PM
10/05/08 10:09 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
I feed HPW and my nursing mom wasnt getting enough calcium.

How long have you been feeding HPW?? There is actually plenty of calcium in it.

What did you feed prior? Also how old is your female?

Nutrition is DEFINITELY high up on the list when it comes to breeding and having happy healthy joeys and keeping mom in tip top shape.

That is why many say to increase the protein...just keep in mind you want to increase the good proteins, such as eggs.

This will also help mom with energy and milk supply. thumb

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Srlb] #651197
10/05/08 10:59 PM
10/05/08 10:59 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
I have been feeding HPW to all my gliders for about 7 months now (as soon as I knew she had joeys I made her the nursing batch recipe)...before that I fed the suncoast diet. You are right,,, my vet said also her diet was perfect and the calcium was where it should be,,, however he had seen rare cases before like mine,,, showing calcium deficiency,,,, He gave me the prescription syrup and I added it to just her dinners and she was fine,,, no more tremors/shivers and I dont need to do it anymore now that her joeys are not nursing alot. She is 10 months old and her joeys are 6 weeks OOP,,, To be safe she has had several vet check ups ,,, I wanted to hand feed the joeys,,, I was so scared of losing her,, but the vet told me not to,,, glad I listened to him,,, she did a much better job then I could have.

I was also told to give her extra protein by some nice people here who responded when I was posting about her issues,,, I did that and am STILL VERY GRATEFUL to everyone who helped and supported us.

Now I have healthy parents and 2 beautiful joeys =) but it certainly wasnt as easy as I thought it would be.....

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: Janie] #651326
10/06/08 05:34 AM
10/06/08 05:34 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Just two things to add to the list others have going here...

Inability to find good FOREVER homes for the joeys.
Finding a permanent, loving companion for your joeys once they come out of pouch can be very stressful and difficult. Even the best screening of potential adopters can still end up with a joey going to a home and then getting rehomed in a year or two which is very hard on the glider frown Sadly, many, many gliders are ending up in rescues needing to be rehomed.

Inbreeding
Sadly, many people do not realize how quickly the joeys can become sexually mature and leave them with the parents for too long. This can lead to inbreeding between mother/sons and father/daughters frown
Joeys need to be separated from their parents by the time they are 3 months out of pouch OR any males (father/sons) need to be neutered by that time.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: sugarglidersuz] #651450
10/06/08 10:27 AM
10/06/08 10:27 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Overbreeding - females can go into heat quickly after joeys coming OOP (usually about 2 weeks). This can mean that she will have to either raise 2-4 joeys together at a time, or will potentially pull/reject one or more of the joeys (and you may never know if it is the little ones). Taking care of just 1 or 2 joeys at a time is very stressful on a female's system, taking care of litter on top of litter, often over and over is something to be concerned about. Just because they can breed all throughout the year in captivity, does not mean they should, or that it is healthy for them.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: sugarlope] #651582
10/06/08 02:09 PM
10/06/08 02:09 PM

L
Leyna
Unregistered
Leyna
Unregistered
L

Other injuries... I recently had 2 12 week old babies that were ready to go to their new home get in a fight. One ended up loosing a hand. From a financial perspective, I ended up having to pay over $300 in vet bills and I won't ever be able to sell these gliders. So, no only did I have an unexpected vet expense, I now have to spend more money on a new cage, supplies, etc... Raise gliders is not a cheap business if done right.

Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: ] #651598
10/06/08 02:40 PM
10/06/08 02:40 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Leyna, I am very sorry about these two. I couldn't do it.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: pappy1264] #651659
10/06/08 04:17 PM
10/06/08 04:17 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

I wanted to add, also, that even though I don't breed and personally never will, I found that it's probably not hard to get into this situation:

Male and female pair have joeys. Let's just say a boy and a girl. Time comes and goes - say you don't find them a home right away. Say you hit 12 weeks and still, no home. Well, none of the males should be mating with the females other than the original pair (parents), so brother needs his own cage, sister needs her own cage, and it can likely stress them out to all be in the same room esp with more than one male that's not fixed so they may need their own rooms, too. I don't know about you, but that RIGHT THERE is a HUGE problem for me. Too small an apartment, only two cages and I don't want to be cleaning that many cages personally. Plus I don't know if I have enough cage sets and toys - I'd likely be either buying more or doing suggie laundry once a week. Now, you can fix brother and put him with sister, but then you have a bonded pair you really shouldn't split, not to mention the additional cost/stress/work to fix him. Can you sell a pair?? A non-mating pair? Ok, so say you don't fix him. Sister and brother are alone until you can find a home - if and when. Can you spend time with EACH cage every day? Oh, look at that, there's more joey's already born or IP. Now you better "get rid" of sister and brother asap to make room. Can you still find a GOOD home, or are you striving just to find homes?? Ok, so say you don't pull sister and brother fast enough and one of the females, mom or sister, ends up pregnant. You don't know if this baby is inbred or not, really. A responsible owner shouldn't sell this baby at all, especially without disclosing and it's likely no one will buy a glider they know is/may be inbred. Are you prepared to keep this glider? And sepparate it from your breeding pair?

Re: Things That can go Wrong Breeding [Re: ] #651665
10/06/08 04:26 PM
10/06/08 04:26 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Good point Brittney, a lot of people aren't aware how fast things can spin out of control, even if you have NO health issues AT ALL!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024