Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lets talk Side Effects #654639
10/10/08 11:45 PM
10/10/08 11:45 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Since the topic of dangers of some things used by veterinarians has been brought to light, and has seemed to have some questioning things I thought this post might be something we would all like to learn about.

I have suggested to a very wonderful person, that instead of just listening to one person, who seems to have many answers, to also keep an open mind and be willing to research ALL aspects of the medical field.

Right now, there is a thead with the concerns of glue. Well, it has been noted that, yes, all glue can be toxic. However, the medical glue is created with a lower toxicity and an animal would have to ingest a fairly large amount of it to do big damage, or cause death. However, it does and COULD have side effects, such as vomiting and diarrhea.

So I have seen some state that they will NEVER use or allow this to be used now because of those side effects…

Ok, that is fair, but with that also being said….have you done your research on the other medications that gliders are given?

It is important to remember that the majority of pet medications available today all have potential side effects and possible drug interaction complications. Some of these side effects and drug interactions can be very serious, even deadly. All situations are unique, and you should visit thoroughly with your veterinarian regarding all potential side effects and issues and how they might pertain to your specific pet before administering or deciding to use any pet medication. And please remember, pet meds are not for people, they are for pets and animals only. As a matter of fact baytril has toxic properties for humans. When handling Baytril and other meds, individuals should avoid contact with the eyes and wash their hands when done. Always keep all meds out of the reach of children.

Lets talk side effects….

Baytril:

http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/baytril-antibiotic.htm
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/enrofloxacin-baytril/page1.aspx

Doxycycline :
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/doxycycline-vibramycin/page1.aspx

http://www.drugs.com/pro/doxycycline.html
TORB:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/butorphanol-tartrate-torbugesic-torbutrol/page1.aspx
Metacam:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloxicam
Amoxicillian/Clavamox:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=31&A=530&S=1
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Amoxicillin+Drops-prod2095.html

I, myself, am in the middle of learning as much about this as I can. Why? Because I enjoy it and I want to be able to learn and understand as much as I can . Will I ever have all the answers? NO WAY….but I also want to know that just because there might be ONE bad experience with something, for the most part there are more good experiences with the same thing…

(I had all the side effects listed, but had to take them off here, as they are not allowed to be cut and pasted here. You can find them listed either by following the links or looking at my post on LGG.)

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Lets talk Side Effects [Re: Srlb] #654658
10/11/08 12:14 AM
10/11/08 12:14 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I have been researching this for years. Yes, Baytril is actually what is known to us as Cipro. It has a huge list of side effects and can cause long term damage yet many vets freely give this out everytime a glider is sick or MIGHT be sick because it is considered a broad spectrum medication. (can treat more than one infection)

Cipro was recently recalled due to deaths in humans and serious health risks/complications. I am very concerned about this since I was actually on the antibiotic myself at the time and also Badge has taken it on and off for over a year with his gum issues.

I have also wondered how our babies feel on these medications.

Flagyl and Cipro both make many people very ill while taking them and cannot go out in the sunlight for more than 10 minutes. (yes, our babies are nocturnal but you never know who might take them outside in the sun) They can cause dizziness, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach upset and many other side effects.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Lets talk Side Effects [Re: SugarBlossoms] #654662
10/11/08 12:22 AM
10/11/08 12:22 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I know Doxycycline is horrible about problems with sun exposure also. I have never heard anything about Flagyl and sunlight (not suggesting I don't believe it, I've just never come across it).

I do know that when my vet checked VIN, they said the only treatment for Giardia was Flagyl, so I don't know how many choices we have there.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Lets talk Side Effects [Re: sugarlope] #654710
10/11/08 02:13 AM
10/11/08 02:13 AM
Homestead, FL
Adri Offline
Glider Guardian
Adri  Offline
Glider Guardian

Homestead, FL
Also with all the additional calcium in our glider diets should Doxycycline ever be used? Or would the additional calcium in these diets not be sufficient to prevent the med from working? Though I can not recall my vet actually ever using this on any of my gliders.

Adri

Mother of 2
Adrian, Sofie
Slave to many glidin' gliders

www.sugarsensation.com

Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved.
Re: Lets talk Side Effects [Re: sugarlope] #654722
10/11/08 04:11 AM
10/11/08 04:11 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Originally Posted By: sugarlope
I know Doxycycline is horrible about problems with sun exposure also. I have never heard anything about Flagyl and sunlight (not suggesting I don't believe it, I've just never come across it).

I do know that when my vet checked VIN, they said the only treatment for Giardia was Flagyl, so I don't know how many choices we have there.

Yes, in the U.S it is the only treatment available. There are others overseas though.

Flagyl has two things that can cause very serious side effects with it. One is sunlight (over 10 minutes) and the other is alcohol. Alcohol in even the smallest amount can cause death. (not that suggies drink (lol)

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Lets talk Side Effects [Re: SugarBlossoms] #654737
10/11/08 08:17 AM
10/11/08 08:17 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I never heard about death w/flagyl and alcohol. Was told it renders the drug useless, so if you drink, don't bother taking the meds. Hmmmm, this is an interesting thread. I have used every one of those meds in since February with all the illnesses my babies have gone through. I know my vets are very cautious when it comes to the time frame they prescribe the drug for. I can attest to the fact Flagyl made my gliders go off their food. Both Roo and Petey (and he was not acting sick before starting the meds) went off food. Within 24 hours off it, they both got their appetites back.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Lets talk Side Effects [Re: Srlb] #654880
10/11/08 04:36 PM
10/11/08 04:36 PM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
Originally Posted By: Srlb
Ok, that is fair, but with that also being said….have you done your research on the other medications that gliders are given?

It is important to remember that the majority of pet medications available today all have potential side effects and possible drug interaction complications. Some of these side effects and drug interactions can be very serious, even deadly. All situations are unique, and you should visit thoroughly with your veterinarian regarding all potential side effects and issues and how they might pertain to your specific pet before administering or deciding to use any pet medication.

I can only hope that when one gets medications for their gliders they are discussing with their vet the possible side effects and ALSO the more dangerous ones like those to watch for that would be associated with a serious allergic reaction.

I know when I go to the doc these are things I discuss for myself, so I naturally transfer these questions to my vet when taking home meds.

After my first neuter went so horribly (with my first ever glider) and I was at such a loss with the medications and had to fret for a little while until the vet was available to answer my questions I MAKE SURE to have those things addressed first and foremost.

And ditto on the Cipro/Baytril thing. I thought they were one in the same as well.

Kinue

ISTJ
When it rains, it pours...

www.serenitysugargliders.homestead.com
Re: Lets talk Side Effects [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #655177
10/12/08 01:04 PM
10/12/08 01:04 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
It seems my post is one the board ate last night.

Peggy, this is a most excellent thread. One that is very needed and one that should have been posted ages ago.

I know when my doc tries to give me a new med, before I ever fill the script, I research the drug. I have to because of all the allergies and other health issues I have (such as glacoma) that can cause some serious bad effects.

I have to admit, I've not always been so careful with the drugs the vets give for my animals. I absolutely will be in the future though with all my animals.

This is an important topic and one that should be fully done up and should be a sticky on every glider board (even every animal board). Great Topic!

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 413 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,692 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024