Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703822
01/01/09 09:49 PM
01/01/09 09:49 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Originally Posted By: Daffodilly
And as for giving them free.... Well, we all know that we take much better care of what we pay for. The more we pay, the better we 'guard and protect'.

I am sorry I absolutely do NOT agree. I have been given a few gliders and I love my "free" gliders JUST as much as the two rescues I paid for to get them out of a glass house, I love them JUST as much as I love my Missy who I paid for.

All gliders in my home get the SAME amount of protection, love, toys and food. No matter how much they cost or their color.

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: MizValorie] #703827
01/01/09 10:02 PM
01/01/09 10:02 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
I have 21 plus gliders and have only paid for 6. Does that mean I love the others less????? Heck no.

I currently only have 2 active breeding pairs right now.

Dont know what the future holds but I dont look to make a dime off my gliders. beleive it or not Nancy you will make more money on your vending in one year than I will make selling gliders.

I would like to hear from the big color breeders though.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: MizValorie] #703828
01/01/09 10:06 PM
01/01/09 10:06 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
And as for giving them free.... Well, we all know that we take much better care of what we pay for. The more we pay, the better we 'guard and protect'.

If I believed that, then Chris, Peggy, Alicia, Shelle, John and Gina would not have any of my Gianna and Marcell babies (all 3rd gen wfb). Nor would the all the homes have the rescues I've placed with them, ALL FOR FREE. Rescued or "home bred", given free or purchased (I've only sold two so far), ALL the gliders that have gone through my home go only to those I know will properly care for them.

Money does not make a person a better glider owner. Each of these homes provides the best homes for their gliders, good food, good cages, good toys, pouches, vet care, etc. More importantly, they each provide TONS of love to them.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Cora] #703834
01/01/09 10:16 PM
01/01/09 10:16 PM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Originally Posted By: Cora
beleive it or not Nancy you will make more money on your vending in one year than I will make selling gliders.

I would like to hear from the big color breeders though.

I'm not doubting you there.

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: jacknsally] #703850
01/01/09 10:35 PM
01/01/09 10:35 PM

C
chastity
Unregistered
chastity
Unregistered
C

I'm new to the whole breeding world. I got my first pair, grays this year. They have had 2 sets of joeys so far. The first set I sold to a friend after having the male neutered at little to no cost (to her $150.00). In return I took all the money & purchased a bigger cage. For Christmas I got a pair of leu hets & they have 1 IP as we speak. I never intended to breed to sell. I just wanted the experience of seeing the growth & development of a glider. It was so rewarding & and experience that I 'll never forget. I wanted a leu for Christmas but it was out of my husbands price range. I ran across someone selling their leu het pair at a steal... hoping they would one day produce a leu & if they don't. I won't sell or rehome them. I love all my gliders equal & they are all treated equal no matter their color. I've only had mine for a little less than a year but I can tell you gliders aren't cheap animals to care for. All their goodies, cages, vet bills, cage accessories and so on is costly. I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world, my husband will tell you that they are like my children. As some of you know I had my first joey pass this morning only after being OOP 3 days. It was heart breaking, I cried & I cried. I cried so much that it tore my husbands nerves all to pieces & it sent shivers up & down his spine. He felt so bad for me because he knows of the love & devotion I have for all my babies. So anyone that says we're in it for the money... get a clue.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703878
01/01/09 11:24 PM
01/01/09 11:24 PM

J
JenShigles
Unregistered
JenShigles
Unregistered
J

The statement about people taking better care of what they pay for is not a judgment on people that received gliders free of charge.

It's a fact though, any pet that is being given away could attract the wrong people.

Anyone on this forum is a more responsible pet owner - we are all doing the things needed to learn more about these precious pets! But that isn't a blanket statement that those NOT on this forum are bad glider parents.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Suggiegramma] #703898
01/01/09 11:45 PM
01/01/09 11:45 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Well, first off, most breeders who ARE in it for the money probably won't admit it frown But an interesting question nonetheless.

I have heard (and believe) many breeders say they don't make much money (if any profit) from breeding. With gliders, I honestly think to have enough colored gliders to make a substantial profit, you would not be able to give them the SPACE (cage-wise) and TIME (play/interaction wise) to really be fair to the animals unless you had a small army helping you socialize and care for the gliders and an immense amount of space to house the gliders in appropriately sized cages. Just due to the housing and social needs of gliders, they are not very profitable animals in terms of breeding, at least if you are breeding ethically.

I agree that the only people probably making sizable bucks off of breeding are mills that have hundreds of tiny cages.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703948
01/02/09 01:10 AM
01/02/09 01:10 AM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Originally Posted By: JenShigles
The statement about people taking better care of what they pay for is not a judgment on people that received gliders free of charge.
I think people realize that. I think most people that responded to that statement feel very strongly about their "free" gliders and want other people, such as newbies, to know that money doesn't matter to how their gliders are treated.

I do think there are breeders out there that care and love their gliders no matter what it costs them and are not "in it for the money." Personally, I can name a few that I truly believe do not care about the money, Cora, Melindakay, Alicia and Peggy (people I personally know)

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Dancing] #703955
01/02/09 01:28 AM
01/02/09 01:28 AM
home
O
ORsuggiemomma Offline
Glider Slave
ORsuggiemomma  Offline
Glider Slave
O

home
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Quote:

If I believed that, then Chris, Peggy, Alicia, Shelle, John and Gina would not have any of my Gianna and Marcell babies (all 3rd gen wfb). Nor would the all the homes have the rescues I've placed with them, ALL FOR FREE. Rescued or "home bred", given free or purchased (I've only sold two so far), ALL the gliders that have gone through my home go only to those I know will properly care for them.

Money does not make a person a better glider owner. Each of these homes provides the best homes for their gliders, good food, good cages, good toys, pouches, vet care, etc. More importantly, they each provide TONS of love to them.
I agree 1000%
I did not pay for my new baby, and I love her just like the one I did pay for, I didn't pay for my males either, and I love them just as much as the one I paid for too. I love them all EQUALLY and I don't believe for a second that you "guard and Protect" better if you pay for it or not. our babies are NOT objects, they are living parts of our families. and it's sad to me when others don't see it that way.

Wifey to heart Frankstone heart
Mother to~ mloveNathan(5) and mloveDrea(3)
and slave to 4 perfect sugar gliders:glider:
Lightning
Mater
Trinity
Eilonwy
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ORsuggiemomma] #703957
01/02/09 01:37 AM
01/02/09 01:37 AM

C
crazytanak
Unregistered
crazytanak
Unregistered
C

i am not a breeder, and sadly never got the chance to breed (both my baby snakes died tragically) but i do know some people have to be making money on glider breeding. when most people sell a leu for 1,500 and then you find only one person selling for 2,300 , im sorry but what is that but trying to make a profit. im not saying all are, but colored babies dont cost anymore to raise then grey babies, so someone has got to be making money when they sell several leus and mosaics at one time. i know some breeders will negotiate on colored glider pricing, and not all colored glider breeders are in it for the money, but i think when most people say breeders are in it for the money they mean the people who sell leus and mosaics, not greys.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703990
01/02/09 02:26 AM
01/02/09 02:26 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
The colored gliders are rarer, and thus made them more exspensive. Prices have gone down alot, and sadly the gliders fall into the wrong hands, get bred by greedy people and then you have leus being sold for stupidly cheap prices and lines get muddied up when people have worked so hard to fix them and breed out. The more pricey the glider, the better in my book! I would give a glider away for free, and I have to friends I trust. I still don't believe that responsible breeders actually profit from breeding, maybe some but not close to what they invested in their babies, and to keep their babies healthy and happy! I spent more in Popeye's vet visits last month(over $800!!) trying to save his life then I did selling gliders this year!

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: GliderLove] #704172
01/02/09 01:20 PM
01/02/09 01:20 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Out of the two gliders I have sold, one was a white tip and one was a mosaic. The money from both went for glider items that were greatly needed. New cages ate up most of it and the rest was spent on fleece and toy parts and yes, even some of it went on stocking up on food for them.

However, I have spent MORE on neutering (just talking my own personal gliders now) and vet care in the past 3 years than I made on the sale of those two joeys. I also rescue and all males are neutered, usually paid for by me. I've had some help along the way with that and was very grateful for the help but it still does not equal what we've spent out of our own pockets.

We do this because we love the gliders and just want the best for them.

I hope to have more mosaic joeys in the future. I may or may not sell future mosaic joeys. But my gliders I have in my home are here because they are MY gliders. They are here because of who they are, not what they MIGHT produce for me.

I've had gliders 11 years and have always had breeding gliders. I can guarentee I'm not going to be able to retire anytime in the future off the money from my gliders.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Dancing] #704181
01/02/09 01:34 PM
01/02/09 01:34 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
I am relativly new to gliders, but have grown to love them very much and am fascinated with the color options. I love them all equally and they are here in my home as part of my family. When & if I would sell a joey, it would be for the good of that glider and to benefit the others. Gliders needs are not cheep and I would have to agree that it is not a way to make a living, but maybe make your living & there's better.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Dancing] #704184
01/02/09 01:36 PM
01/02/09 01:36 PM
Ontario, Canada
scraptilldawn Offline
Glider Guardian
scraptilldawn  Offline
Glider Guardian

Ontario, Canada
I have to disagree and say I do make money off of my joeys. I have 2- 260 Repts and they house my pair and trio. They are all my beloved pets. But instead of neutering my males I let them have joeys and sell them. I believe that I am making a profit off of them as I would give them the exact same care if they were neutered and not producing. So the money from the joeys is a bonus. Now it's certainly not a ton as I only have 4-8 joeys a year, but that is money that I wouldn't have otherwise. It does go to vet funds, food etc, but that's money not coming out of my pocket to care for them. We also managed a flat screen TV this year for Christmas because my joeys were all ready to go home just before Christmas. We saved all the money from the 3 joeys and went out and bought it. So I just don't think it's fair for people to say they don't make money from breeding. There are already plenty of gliders in the US needing homes so why continue to let them breed unless you are profiting in some way for it?

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: scraptilldawn] #704193
01/02/09 01:48 PM
01/02/09 01:48 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
Originally Posted By: scraptilldawn
There are already plenty of gliders in the US needing homes so why continue to let them breed unless you are profiting in some way for it?

I want to provide what wasn't there for me when I wanted a glider: a tame, socialized baby, raised lovingly indoors, around people, that is healthy, and you know where it came from. I couldn't get that in my area. So, I decided to do something about it. I can promise you...I make no profit from breeding. I only have one pair that breeds and six cages worth of gliders to care for. Do you really think that the handful of joeys I produce a year pay for all of their care and then leave me with money leftover? No way. Not even close.

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: jacknsally] #704202
01/02/09 01:52 PM
01/02/09 01:52 PM
Northern VA.
GliderGuyVA Offline
Glider Lover
GliderGuyVA  Offline
Glider Lover

Northern VA.
With the cost of living it must be hard for breeders to make any substantial profit. Where we live it would be impossible to make a profit on breeding. Someone who lives out in the hills would stand a better chance at making some profit. It is my wish that all breeders do it for the love of the animal and not just getting rich. We are not breeders and never will be. We will leave it up to the pro's and enjoy the benefits of thier hard work. To all the responsible breeders out there "Your awesome" and "God bless you" for all you do! And too all the rescuers "You ROCK"! Many lives have been saved because of you and there is a special place in heaven for you! smile

Last edited by GliderGuyVA; 01/02/09 01:54 PM.

Slave to:
My Wife
Four - Dogs
Two - Cat's
Four - Ferrets
Eight plus - Gliders
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: gliderma] #704203
01/02/09 01:53 PM
01/02/09 01:53 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
I guess I would be classified as a "breeder"...I have 2 pairs who in the past have blessed me with joeys, and 1 girl hasn't received the message yet that I don't want any more: her cagemate had been neutered in August, but she wants "just ONE MORE" to my surprise and chagrin.

Some of the joeys that I've adopted out in the past 5 years were "sold"....others were "given away" to people that I love and TRUST to be good homes for them. And I'm here to tell you that there is NO WAY that I'm getting rich off of selling my babies. On more than one case, my neutering expense was HIGHER than what I received from the sale. And I've paid MANY MANY dollars for vet bills, groceries, mealies, wheels, bedding, etc etc.

Money is NOT an issue in my eyes when it comes to qualifying to adopt one of my joeys. Nope. I want to know that he/she will be in a LOVING, HAPPY HOME with a RESPONSIBLE glider owner; that he/she won't become "breeding stock" for a petstore/mill/whatever; and that I be kept up-to-date on their progress. Because to me it doesn't matter who I adopt my babies out to....they're still MY BABIES! mlove

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: minkasmom] #704209
01/02/09 02:01 PM
01/02/09 02:01 PM

D
DelilahsMom
Unregistered
DelilahsMom
Unregistered
D

And anyone who has ever gotten a baby from Minkasmom is very lucky... I would love to have one but I would be single if one more came into my home... lol

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: jacknsally] #704212
01/02/09 02:05 PM
01/02/09 02:05 PM
Roanoke, Virginia
mommawannabe Offline
Glider Slave
mommawannabe  Offline
Glider Slave

Roanoke, Virginia
I am just a small breeder and I can definitely tell you I have come no where near recouping what I have spent. Ha wouldn't that be nice. I can see your point though Nancy with the mosaics and "colored" gliders. I have a Leu and WFB pair and a pair or 100% h/leu. The Leu I have is from that pair. I couldn't afford to by a leu...lol. She is my little sweetheart. I have 5 cages and all of them are absolutely huge and filled with stealths and toys and all the best stuff...heck my gliders eat better then we do. I personally got in it because my first pair was a "classic grey" pair and I wanted the joy of seeing and raising the joeys. Oh my gosh after that I was hooked. I absolutely love all my gliders and it is hard letting the joeys go. I don't always sell at the going rate because I just want them to go to good homes where they will be spoiled. I will not be giving up any of my gliders and I have all I can handle right now so I will not go bigger. Perhaps in few years when that first pair retires I will get another pair. No I will not be giving or selling my retirees. I have big plans for them living out their retirement with my family's love and care. I know at as a breeders standpoint that is not really practicle but that is what I plan on doing.

Anna

Hubby Tommie
son Logan - 11
Pugs-Duncan and Raven,
Bunnies-Foo&Friday
Hedgies-Sweet Pea,Dobby,Bambi,DarthVader,Lexy,Shadow, Willow & Thatch.
suggies-Izzy, Miley~Toff, Jasper~Twinkie, Nix~Ash, Nash~Riley, Barney~Spryte~Pixie, Apollo~Athena.
Turtles - Shelly~Petunia

www.suggiebabies.com

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: mommawannabe] #704221
01/02/09 02:19 PM
01/02/09 02:19 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
roflmao

Sorry, I just busted up laughing at the thought of being in breeding to "get rich". Heeheehee!

I've lost count of all the money I've put into my gliderS(both for the gliders AND their supplies) and in the past year I've made not a penny in return! I'm FINALLY selling a joey and even if she sells at the price I have her listed at I'll still only be making back a fraction of what I put it and, in reality, I won't be making much, if anything, back at all because all that money will be going to bills and any left over will be going to get all the supplies so that hubby can convert out bedroom into a glider room and make all new, big PVC cages for the gliders because hubby feels that their room isn't big enough, so now we, the humans, get the smaller glider room and they get our nice big bedroom with it's own private bathroom...hmph! lol

I think that anyone who gets into breeding because they think they'll make lots of money is going to be VERY disappointed, lol.

Sure, some gliders may sell for a couple thousand dollars...but don't forget that you've gotta buy the parents, buy them their cages/toys/bedding/etc..., AND they won't have any babies for about a year, so that's a year of paying for their food and vet bills... lol

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Guerita135] #704229
01/02/09 02:38 PM
01/02/09 02:38 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
I agree with both sides. The way I see it, up until this year, I wasn't a breeder. This year, that changed. Up until I sell the first joey, I pay for EVERYTHING (vet, food, cages, pouches, toys, etc) out of my own pocket. When I start selling joeys, I WILL be making a profit because I won't have to pay for those things solely out of pocket. breeders do have that advantage.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: princessmegi] #704233
01/02/09 02:48 PM
01/02/09 02:48 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Nicole - I know that to you it is amusing to think of yourself being in it for the money.

I also know that you know the bigger picture isn't that amusing at all!

You have done HUGE amounts of research. You have become a wealth of knowledge in a very short period of time, and I'm sure you continue to educate yourself!

People like you are obviously breeding for love, not money.

However - there ARE people breeding for money. We can not for a minute get lulled into believing it doesn't happen, or couldn't happen.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Guerita135] #704235
01/02/09 02:55 PM
01/02/09 02:55 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Originally Posted By: Guerita135
roflmao

Sorry, I just busted up laughing at the thought of being in breeding to "get rich". Heeheehee!

I've lost count of all the money I've put into my gliderS(both for the gliders AND their supplies) and in the past year I've made not a penny in return! I'm FINALLY selling a joey and even if she sells at the price I have her listed at I'll still only be making back a fraction of what I put it and, in reality, I won't be making much, if anything, back at all because all that money will be going to bills and any left over will be going to get all the supplies so that hubby can convert out bedroom into a glider room and make all new, big PVC cages for the gliders because hubby feels that their room isn't big enough, so now we, the humans, get the smaller glider room and they get our nice big bedroom with it's own private bathroom...hmph! lol

I think that anyone who gets into breeding because they think they'll make lots of money is going to be VERY disappointed, lol.

Sure, some gliders may sell for a couple thousand dollars...but don't forget that you've gotta buy the parents, buy them their cages/toys/bedding/etc..., AND they won't have any babies for about a year, so that's a year of paying for their food and vet bills... lol

Nicole, you are still making money. I don't believe you are in it for the money, but just because you use the money for bills doesn't mean you aren't making it. If my paycheck pays for my house payment or my car, does that mean that my employer didn't pay me?

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: princessmegi] #704250
01/02/09 03:20 PM
01/02/09 03:20 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
Lol, true Megi. I guess you're right about that. I'm just saying that breeders aren't going to be quiting our day jobs any time soon, lol.

We make enough to pay for our gliders' needs and MAYBE have a little left. Breaking even with what we put into getting our gliders in the first place, vet bill, and supplies is a feat of it's own. To actually then make a profit(break out of the red zone) would be a miracle, lol.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Guerita135] #704254
01/02/09 03:27 PM
01/02/09 03:27 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Getting money and being "in it" for the money are two completely different things!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #704257
01/02/09 03:31 PM
01/02/09 03:31 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome
Getting money and being "in it" for the money are two completely different things!

agree

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #704261
01/02/09 03:34 PM
01/02/09 03:34 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
I know, that's why I said Nicole wasn't in it for the money. The reputable breeders aren't. Regardless, they do make money.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: princessmegi] #704448
01/02/09 08:15 PM
01/02/09 08:15 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Maybe I misunderstood this post. It says: "Breders: In it for the money?"

I assume they mean in it to "PROFIT".

In order to profit, you must take your Income, deduct your Expenses, and if there is a positive amount left, you have made a Profit, negative amount, you have a loss. (However, with the love we receive and give to our babies, there can never be a true loss. As the commercial says, "It's priceless!")

So far, I haven't made a profit. Maybe that's because I choose to take the money I bring in (income) and reinvest it in my babies - food, cages, toys, supplies, vet bills, new gliders etc. Yes, it does make it nice that the money we receive helps pay for these expenses, but in my case, there sure isn't a profit!

It's basic accounting principals. I am in the RED.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Guerita135] #704460
01/02/09 08:23 PM
01/02/09 08:23 PM
Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
cyndiekb Offline
Serious Glideritis
cyndiekb  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
If I had been breeding for money I would not care where my kids are today but I do care. I no longer breed though, just to many needing homes now wont contribute to that.

cyndiekb

I heart & miss you HALEY

My runaways 4/04 Lilo, 5/04 Dash & Angel

angel Sprite Says GO STEALTH!! at
AtticWorx
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #704471
01/02/09 08:48 PM
01/02/09 08:48 PM
St. Charles, Missouri
Suggiegramma Offline OP
Glider Slave
Suggiegramma  Offline OP
Glider Slave

St. Charles, Missouri
Originally Posted By: crazytanak
i am not a breeder, and sadly never got the chance to breed (both my baby snakes died tragically) but i do know some people have to be making money on glider breeding. when most people sell a leu for 1,500 and then you find only one person selling for 2,300 , im sorry but what is that but trying to make a profit. im not saying all are, but colored babies dont cost anymore to raise then grey babies, so someone has got to be making money when they sell several leus and mosaics at one time. i know some breeders will negotiate on colored glider pricing, and not all colored glider breeders are in it for the money, but i think when most people say breeders are in it for the money they mean the people who sell leus and mosaics, not greys.

When a breeder sells a leu for $2300 and not $1500, it's most likely due to the lineage. And it's also a case of what the market can bear. Why shouldn't a breeder make a profit IF THEY CAN?

When you say colored gliders don't cost more to raise than grays, that's absolutely correct...but...the breeder has to make the initial EXPENSIVE investment to buy that colored glider to breed.

I breed all types of gliders, creme-ino's, platinum mosaics, mosaics, leus, wfb's and grays. As you can see in one of my posts, I've spent quite a lot of money to buy these gliders. If I make ANY profit in the next 10 years (especially since a glider can't be bred that long, lol), I'd be surprised. The money I get from selling my joeys goes back into my gliders. I can't pay bills with the money, cause it's not there! There are always cages to buy, fleece for new cage sets, food, vet bills, toys, emergency kits, and many other things for them.

Virginia

Suggies
Sachi,Miuccia,Mignon,Cosette,Blaise,Florianna,Fabio,
Abbi,Fletcher,Eshton,Hansel,Gretel,Sahara,Parker,SugarBear,
Emily,Ariana,Symphony,Mozart,Smeegle,Cocoa,Hershey,Tippy,
Hollister,Anastasia,Buffy,Tawny,Stormy,Aurora,Chance,Karma,
Kristoff,Ruby.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024