here is the knowledge questions, anyone think of anything to add (other than a neutering section, since dancing is working on that) it will be considered
This can be used as a guide to assist your basic research.
Glider Knowledge Questionnaire
1. What is the scientific name for sugar glider?
2. How many days is a female pregnant?
3. How many days (approximately) are the joeys in pouch?
4. At what age do joeys wean from their mother's milk?
5. If you see two red worm-like structures protruding out of a sugar glider's cloacae (anus), what are you looking at?
6. What causes a bald spot to appear on the male sugar glider's head?
7. At about what age do males sexually mature?
8. At about what age do females sexually mature?
9. What diet
do you feel is best for sugar gliders and why?
10. What is the recommended calcium to phosphorus ratio (ca:P) and why is it important?
11. What are foods that gliders should never have?
12. Why are bugs an important element in a glider's diet
13. How often and at what time of the day do gliders need to be fed?
14. What is the average life span of a healthy captive raised sugar glider?
15. When and how often should you take your glider to the vet
16.How does a harness/leash pose danger to sugar gliders?
17. What are signs/symptoms of an ill glider?
18. What is HLP, what are the symptoms and what are the possible causes?
19. What does hissing while urinating possibly indicate?
20. What is SM and what are some of the reasons this may occur?
21. If you suspect your glider is SM, what is the first thing you should do?
22. Why should new gliders be quarantined (kept separate) from other gliders and for how long?
23. Can sugar gliders die from stress?
24. Why do gliders need to have their nails trimmed and how often might this need to be done?
25. Should their teeth ever need to be clipped or floated?
26. How much money should you have set aside in case emergency treatment becomes necessary?
27. What are some of the reasons a female might cannibalize her own joeys?
28. What is the minimum recommended size cage for two gliders?
29. What materials would be safe for glider cages to be made out of?
30. What cage material should not be used and why?
31. What type of fabric are most cage accessories made of and what are the potential problems with using the wrong type of fabric?
32. How often should the cage and accessories be cleaned?
33. How often should you clean the drop tray/change the bedding?
34. What is NOT safe to use as bedding and why?
35. What type of wheels
are considered unsafe for gliders and why?
36. . Where is the best location in your home for your glider's cage?
Socialization and introductions
37. How much time does a glider need during the day for bonding
38. How much out of cage play time does a glider need and how often?
39. Do gliders do better as singles or in pairs/multiples?
40. Why is it important to keep non-neutered males separated from each other?
41. Why should you not put an adult male in with a young female?
42. What is the best way to introduce two gliders to each other?
43. What time do gliders normally wake up wanting to play?
44. Do gliders make good pets for young children? Why or why not?
The What If's
While you do not need to provide these answers, you should consider them.
45. What if you have to move to a state where they are illegal?
46. What if you have to move for work or school?
47. What if you and your spouse decide to have a baby? Will you still be able to dedicate the time to the gliders they need?
48. What if your glider gets sick and you don't have enough money for the vet
49. What if you find yourself facing life changes that will make glider ownership no longer possible? While we hope it never happens, who will take the gliders?
50. What if you find out that gliders are just not the right companion animal for you?
51. What if you decide to go on vacation and can not take your gliders with you?