Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? #733280
02/10/09 11:29 AM
02/10/09 11:29 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
sorry I wasnt trying to shout grin. I want to start off by saying I do use the BML diet. but everyother night or so. the nights in between I use a pelleted diet that has been softened with water or juice and even that i switch occassionally. I have seen only one other person on here admitting to using pellets. I just feel that alittle variety may be better since we really cannot copy exactly how they would be nurished in the wild. also understanding they are not really wild anymore as they have been bred in captivity so long is it possible the needs have shifted a bit? I know many diets have been proven but doesnt the human race survive by always trying to find better? well... that being said I actually have added more items to the diet that are what they find in the wild...like acacia gum...you can cut back a bit on calcium supplements by adding the gum because it is high in calcium. I have also mentioned NATURAL maple syrup as a possible food source many times here but no one seems to think its a good idea. why? what am i missing? it is a tree sap that is very high in calcium, and simple sugars and carbohydrates which is what they get from tree sap in the wild now I am intelligent and know that there may not be maple trees in australia...but as one person said to me once when I question zoo keepers because it contains pig...we are just trying to copy the natural diet.. has anyone anywhere tested this or tried it as well? I felt maple suryp was closer to natural than pig but again...what do I know? ( again the stress on NATURAL MAPLR SYRUP...not log cabin and such!)I felt I was alittle bonkers for switching foods every couple nights for variety and to try to fill nutritional holes as well as add some excitement to meal time until I found this site
http://www.sugarglideralchemy.com/
what do you all think? I would appreciate intelligent comments here...studies done by vets nutritionists, glider owners with long time experience trying different foods... My gliders I might add are quite healthy and active. the vet last night was quite impressed for the size and activity for such a young one so something must be right so far.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: JillMarie] #733288
02/10/09 11:59 AM
02/10/09 11:59 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Well, first off - the opening page of that web site has a long discussion about spaying female gliders in order for them to live longer, healthier lives. Since a female glider can NOT be spayed, I have to just question every other thing that site says.

They are also breeding Leu to Leu - which is so bad on so many levels.

Variety is a myth. People very often express that they want to give their pets variety. The fact is, animals do not WANT variety. Having variety gives them digestive problems, and causes them to be very picky eaters. A picky eater is NOT getting a nutritionally complete diet - because they increasingly pick out only the food components that interest them. Pick a good, complete diet then STICK to it as written. Just like feeding the best quality dog food, or cat food. You pick the best - then feed it every day.

Maple syrup is NOT sap. Maple syrup is highly concentrated. One drop of maple syrup probably contains all the sugars and other nutrients that a glider gets from a full night of eating sap. I don't know the exact calculations - and neither do you. But... if you are feeding more than one drop of maple syrup, you are probably harming your glider more than helping.

Acacia gum is much closer to the sap they eat - although still not "it."

I know that the whole issue of diets is the single most controversial topic in all of glider husbandry. There is no 100% proof - via studies or research, etc - about what is a complete diet. All we can do is the best that we can.

However - the diet listed on that website is NOT the best we can do. The information on that web site is really incorrect, and in some cases down-right dangerous.

I personally would seek better advice! That isn't it.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #733314
02/10/09 12:46 PM
02/10/09 12:46 PM
Southern Virginia
R
rdobbie23 Offline
Glider Addict
rdobbie23  Offline
Glider Addict
R

Southern Virginia
I will say this...I feed HPW and pellets. I feed HPW at night, and then durring the day I will put a bit of the pellets in there just in case they get up and are hungry. Most of the time, they only eat a pellet or two. I also keep it on hand just incase we have to evacuate for a hurricane or something. Other wise they get HPW with fruit/veggies and treats of yoggies or mealworms. Just wanted you to know that people do feed pellets.

*Megan*

Owned by:
4 suggies :leu: Sucre & :rtmo: Bijou
:wfb: Bubbles & :rtmo: Baby Girl

Valley bulldog: Chassis
American Bully: Dink
Doberman: Sheba
American Bully: Grady
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: rdobbie23] #733320
02/10/09 01:01 PM
02/10/09 01:01 PM
Poynette, WI
sketchyglider Offline
Glider Guardian
sketchyglider  Offline
Glider Guardian

Poynette, WI
i sure hope he isnt breeding one male with all three of those females

Jessee slave to:
Ender :rtmo: & Valentine :leu: and 1 non-fuzzy kid Carleigh

I am SOOOOOO happy to finally be able to have my gliders back home with me! I have missed my babies soo much <3
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #733335
02/10/09 01:20 PM
02/10/09 01:20 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
i use the sun coast diet and feed a variety every night, i only use the sun coast pellets because my gliders like them and they are soft. i dont feed any pinky mice only meal,wax,
crickets, egg or chicken. i dont think anything is wrong with her diet but spaying a female is a no no.
i also give the acacia gum and use gliderade.
i would not give my gliders maple syrup, organic or other wise.

regards,
nancy

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: hwh4ev] #733356
02/10/09 01:54 PM
02/10/09 01:54 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
I don't think pellets are - in and of themselves - bad.

But there is much more going on in the Original Post than just asking about pellets!

When I first got my gliders, I was so afraid not to give them access to food around the clock. I fed BML and always had pellets available.

Once I learned more about aflotoxins, the shelf life of pellets, the dangers of pellets, more about gliders in the wild, more about how gliders have been successfully kept in captivity over the years, and a million other things I've learned that I couldn't even begin to list here, I stopped providing pellets.

My gliders haven't missed them. They love the HPW diet. They look healthy. They act healthy. They TEST healthy at their regular vet checks.

I always read any internet web site with a grain of salt. There are so many "expert" opinions - you have to pick and choose what advice works for you and makes sense to you.

Taking advice from someone who breeds leu to leu and who strongly advocates spaying females falls into the "HUGE grain of salt" category for me. I'm not saying the entire web site is garbage. I'm interested to know who her vet is, who she ran her diet by, and what the ratios of the diet are.

I'd also be interested to know how long that person has had gliders, and ... many other things.

They link to GC, so they can't be all bad, right!?

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: sketchyglider] #733604
02/10/09 08:35 PM
02/10/09 08:35 PM

S
shann0n
Unregistered
shann0n
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: sketchyglider
i sure hope he isnt breeding one male with all three of those females

He is.

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: ] #733661
02/10/09 10:19 PM
02/10/09 10:19 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Just a FYI about Maple Syrup. It takes 50 gallons of Maple SAP to make one gallon of Maple Syrup! I love the real deal. My grandmother was canadian and used to go up to Canada once a year to visit her family. While there, they would make maple syrup. They take the sap and boil it down until is is "syrup". Real maple syrup is not thick like Log Cabin but much thinner and much more strongly flavored.

Now if you were talking about giving maple sap to a glider, that might be an option but taste it first...it is NASTY. I don't think the gliders would eat it.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: Dancing] #733811
02/11/09 04:32 AM
02/11/09 04:32 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
The acacia gum isnt so good either! i tried it...ugh! my guys wont eat it unless I put a little syrup on it. To clarify to everyone...it's not like i put a bowl of it in the cage. I am talking a drizzle on the food a couple times a week...like to make them eat the acacia gum. Thanks teresa you gave me a great idea! I know a few place that make their own syrup..I will see if I can get some "sap" before it gets boiled down quite so much. wonder how that would go, would like to see if they would eat it raw. I am also looking for smoe sugar maples to grow just to have the branches for them to play with

^website link wink

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: JillMarie] #733866
02/11/09 09:24 AM
02/11/09 09:24 AM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Oh, and if you are adding all these things to their diet, you are not feeding the BML diet. Adding in things can throw off the ratio that the diet was designed to have.

The reason the distinction is important is if your glider gets sick, one of the first things asked will be "What diet are you feeding". If you were to answer BML, we wouldn't know about all the other things you are adding and it could be important to help in figuring out what is going on with your glider.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: JillMarie] #733879
02/11/09 09:51 AM
02/11/09 09:51 AM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

I feed Junior AM and PM - he gets his veggies (small amount) birdie bread (small amount) fruit with its juice (small amount) - when I say small amount I mean 3 to 4 peas and 2 to 3 pieces of corn (which he only eats 1 to 2) birdie bread is about 1/8 of a spoon full and the fruit is 2 to 3 pieces of which he only eats 1 to 2 - in the AM - at night he gets all of the above with BML over the top - he usually eats most of that by morning - from what I've read on here I don't feed pellets but usually once a week he gets a piece of scrambeled egg (the rest goes to the birds) and every other week he gets a piece of sweet potato at night and then again in the morning - with all of the rest going to the birds until the potato is finished -
if we're eatting chichen I give him a TINY piece of chichen as I do with the birds also steak without any seasoning - nothing I give Junior has seasoning on it -

I don't know if this is a good diet or not for Junior but he is happy and chubby - not too chubby but definately NOT thin -

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: ] #733926
02/11/09 12:09 PM
02/11/09 12:09 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

USA
I don't know much about syrup, but I do feed pellets alongside my HPW (although I'm learning recently that there are mixed opinions on that). I use a softer pellet. I think it's good to give them something as an option (like if they wake up during the day & need a snack), or like someone else mentioned, it's good to have something in case of emergency. I don't think pellets should BE the main diet though. And I do agree it's important not to alter a diet too much.

Alden, I'd love to hear more about your research on the dangers of pellets. Would you mind PMing me about it?

Misty

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: IowaMisty] #733991
02/11/09 02:31 PM
02/11/09 02:31 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I would like to hear the danger of pellets as well...perhaps post here so we can all learn from it...I am just learning too.

^website link wink

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: JillMarie] #733998
02/11/09 02:56 PM
02/11/09 02:56 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

One of the biggest risks with pellets is aflatoxin poisoning. Aflatoxins are caused by a type of mold. This mold thrives on dried products like corn meal, dried corn cobs, peanuts, and yes, even dried animal foods (many dogs died from some tainted dog food and they had to recall many many brands of dog food).

This mold has been found in glider pelleted foods as well. It can be tested but without testing, you wouldn't see the aflatoxins. Laura_Leigh fought a battle with the makers of glider pelleted foods asking them to add manufactured date, expiration dates, storage suggestions and shelf life information on them. Some complied, some did not.

Unless the food is stored properly, these molds can form and aflatoxins are deadly to gliders. Too many gliders have died from aflatoxins to not take it seriously and that is why many won't feed the pelleted foods.

620-704-9109

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: Dancing] #734004
02/11/09 03:11 PM
02/11/09 03:11 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Right.

What she said.

I had pellets when I got my first glider. I had NO idea of any of the storage instructions, the shelf life, etc. I wasn't given any when I got the glider, and there was no info on the package.

Dog and cat foods are tested rigorously for aflatoxins, and yet they still get through. I worked in the Pet Food industry, and I saw clearly the HUGE concern for aflatoxins, the machines that test for them, the amount considered 'acceptable' (which would kill a glider).

Glider food isn't tested. Plus the "turn around" is lower, so they end up on the shelf or in storage longer.

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #734009
02/11/09 03:14 PM
02/11/09 03:14 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Here is one link about the Jorn Act.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/306787/Searchpage/1/Main/30218/Words/%2BJorn+%2Bact+%2Baflatoxins/Search/true/The_Jorn_Act_is_Complete#Post306787

Unfortunately the site it was all on is gone but I'm in contact with Laura and she is going to send me all the info so we can get it back up online where it will all be accessable.

620-704-9109

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: Dancing] #734013
02/11/09 03:19 PM
02/11/09 03:19 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Well, I can't argue with you on a couple points... one, we will never be able to PERFECTLY replicate a glider's natural diet and all we can do is study the nutrients they get in the wild and try to duplicate it in captivity.

On the other hand, feeding a varied diet is risky... I feed BML and although it may not be perfect, my gliders get all the nutrients they need every day. I get to vary it a bit with fruits and veggies (that are on the "ok" list).

I would reccommend sticking to a proven diet until more research is done. Who knows, we might know more a few months or years down the road that will let us feed a more varied and natural diet. When that day comes, I'll be right there with ya!

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: oakley] #734024
02/11/09 03:42 PM
02/11/09 03:42 PM

Z
Zoey_Girl
Unregistered
Zoey_Girl
Unregistered
Z

There are as many glider diets as there are glider owners. Everyone does it a little different. Everyone that does BML adds there own treats to it.

I believe that you need to use common sense and any info you can find. I agree with not feeding them the maple syrup as it is boiled down so that it is not true maple syrup. I personally don't feed pellets because I feed fresh stuff (though in the event of hurricane pellet food would be better than nothing).

I do agree with a variety. I do not give mine the same vegetable everynight. I give them different fruits and vegetables with their BML. My gliders are active and healthy and I am sure that there are gliders fed HPW that are just as healthy and happy.

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: oakley] #734027
02/11/09 03:44 PM
02/11/09 03:44 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

USA
Thanks Teresa & Alden for the dry diet info. I will be updating my website to warn about the dangers. I had never heard of this. If you have any additional info about it, please PM me.

Misty

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: IowaMisty] #734047
02/11/09 05:18 PM
02/11/09 05:18 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
thanks for all the insight and opinions, you have certainly given me food for thought...no pun intended LOL! I am rethinking the pelleted food. I will most likely still use some as I have quite a bit and they do like it and it is good in an emergency. right now all of mine is stored in the freezer. right now I am giving them BML twice a week but am thinking of giving it more often as I like the ingredients and the pellets less often. I definately aprove of honey although beleive it or not I found a few websites that REALLY came down hard on BML and the use of honey. VERY HARD. worse than using maple syrup. go figure. I will most likely continue to use alittle syrup though (again for those of you who didnt read from the top of the page...only NATURAL maple syrup...you know... boiled tree sap)
thanks again for your opinions guys...I love you guys! smile

^website link wink

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: JillMarie] #734083
02/11/09 06:16 PM
02/11/09 06:16 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

USA
I would definitely advise toward doing the BML daily & the pellet food only as a backup (if you're going to keep using it). I've also heard people say to maek sure corn meal isn't one of the 1st 3 ingredients in your pellet food. So make sure your pellet food has a good nutritional balance for sugar gliders. You might want to double-check the calcium:phosphorous ratio.

I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions about honey as well. I'm going to be doing some more research on it soon, but based on what I've read so far, I think that honey is fine & actually (although I'm sure some people will say otherwise) unprocessed honey is better. I think there's some confusion with the different terminology when talking about honey....but basically, it's my understanding that the processed stuff that you buy at the store that's super filtered & very clear looking actually has most of the beneficial nutriends filtered OUT of it and has some added sugar (which isn't necessary or healthy). The unprocessed stuff that is somewhat filtered (by the honey farmers - not the kind that has honeycombs & stuff floating around in it) still has the good nutrients in it & doesn't have any added sugars. It's much healthier & is actually a really good substitute for sugar in recipes. So with honey, I would lean toward saying that the raw honey (that's filtered somewhat but not overprocessed) is better for the gliders (and for people) - it's more natural. I tend to think the more processed something is, the less healthy it usually is. I'm no expert though.

Misty

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: IowaMisty] #734192
02/11/09 09:31 PM
02/11/09 09:31 PM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
Now one thing I have to disagree here is that variety is not bad for your glider. When on the right diet that allows for variety, offering a variety of fruits and veggies is a great way to get well rounded nutrition into their systems.

HOWEVER... If the diet you are feeding does not allow for this then its not advisable. Certain diets are made to allow for the food items that are listed and those alone. Your glider will thrive just fine with them.

Maple syrup IS similar to the saps/gums they eat in the wild in some aspects. It is composed of the correct sugars (sucrose instead of fructose/glucose, unlike honey), it is AWFUL high in Calcium (33.5:1!!), and high in carbs. But it is a highly concentrated form.

Acacia gum, depending on the kind you have is most likely (about 100%) farmed in Africa. Gliders feed from very specific species of Acacia trees, and I wonder if this is why they do not take to the spray dried, taste-less, kind widely available.

Kinue

ISTJ
When it rains, it pours...

www.serenitysugargliders.homestead.com
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: IowaMisty] #734371
02/12/09 04:28 AM
02/12/09 04:28 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
i agree with you misty on the honey but have been almost afraid to mention it. We try to go as organic as possible and I almost worship bees and honey for the health benefits it provides and raw is better. I only have raw in my house and was giving it to my joeys when quite young and AFTER that i read about not using raw..well I thought I've been using this long why not continue. FYI...when you heat honey it kills off all the things in it that are good for you and becomes just a sweetener.

^website link wink

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: MatchMakerMagic] #734372
02/12/09 04:35 AM
02/12/09 04:35 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
In response to your statement maple syrup is comprised of the right type of sugars as opposed to honey...do you not use honey?
acacia gum I got from exotic nutrition tastes AWFUL...i tried it
I know the calcium ratio is high in maple syrup...that's one of the reasons I wanted to use it as a calcium supplement rather than a powdered supplement... i felt it would possibly be easier to digest and have less negative impact on organs the way supplements can have. wish I knew how it compared to calcium powder or the repcal everyone uses. how can I get a lab to do some testing? lol HELP i need a scientist! einstein anyone?

^website link wink

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: JillMarie] #734468
02/12/09 12:10 PM
02/12/09 12:10 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
?? What on earth is 'Birdie Bread' ??

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: JillMarie] #734493
02/12/09 12:53 PM
02/12/09 12:53 PM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
I feed the HPW diet and it does have honey in it. I do use raw honey without issue. smile

Honey is comprised mainly of Fructose and Glucose, where as maple syrup is mainly Sucrose. Acacia gum (gliders being associated with the Black Wattle or Acacia mearnsii most often in literature from my research) that we have most commonly available is usually harvested from Acacia species in Africa. Those species are most likely not the ones wild gliders would have chosen to feed from. As some of the species harvested from are not AU varieties.

Euc sap, another natural glider food, is also mainly sucrose and raffinose. Different sugar structure than honey. I find it very interesting glider do not get much fructose in their wild diets from what I can find. But captive diets are loaded with it (veggies, fruits, honey, all have fructose in them).

Kinue

ISTJ
When it rains, it pours...

www.serenitysugargliders.homestead.com
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: JillMarie] #734496
02/12/09 01:01 PM
02/12/09 01:01 PM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

Birdie Bread is made of corn bread mix - 1 box - 2 eggs (no shells) - Gerbers rice cerial - and some Dole fruit (which ever doesn't have alot of sweets in it) - I put apple or pear or peach (Dole) - I mix until it's the consistancy of muffin mix - I devide it into muffin cup and bake at 375 until the muffins are done -about 25 to 30 minutes - I give this to the birds each day and a tiny tiny piece to Junior - (he loves it and goes straight towards it before eatting his AM veggies)
When I use to breed gliders I use to give all of them the birdie bread and it was gone before all their fruit and every thing else was -

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: JillMarie] #734500
02/12/09 01:09 PM
02/12/09 01:09 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: JillMarie
acacia gum I got from exotic nutrition tastes AWFUL...i tried it

It tastes awful, because it is unrefined SAP, not refined syrup.

Gliders don't eat syrup in the wild - they eat sap. Yes - it doesn't taste sweet to us. Their diet in the wild seems to be significantly less sweet than what we feed them.

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: Dancing] #734502
02/12/09 01:13 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Just a FYI about Maple Syrup. It takes 50 gallons of Maple SAP to make one gallon of Maple Syrup! I love the real deal. My grandmother was canadian and used to go up to Canada once a year to visit her family. While there, they would make maple syrup. They take the sap and boil it down until is is "syrup". Real maple syrup is not thick like Log Cabin but much thinner and much more strongly flavored.

Now if you were talking about giving maple sap to a glider, that might be an option but taste it first...it is NASTY. I don't think the gliders would eat it.

When we tapped maple tree's the sap was thin almost like water and it hardly had much taste to it at all untill it was boiled down into syrup?

I also think that if correctly given a diet with variety can be very successful, I feel I have proved in my gliders. I do feed HPW now because that's what I was feeding the parents and weaning the joeys to of my two breeding pairs because I knew it was something easy, healthy, balanced and popular. I wanted them to be able to go to their new homes on a good diet so that's what I switched too. I have had great results with it as well. I'm still nervous to try raw honey though.

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #734503
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
[quote=ValkyrieMome
Their diet in the wild seems to be significantly less sweet than what we feed them. [/quote]

why do we feed them so much sweetness? is it like when my hubby keeps buying me ice cream...my one downfall in the diet game? Or does he like me fluffy? (sorry food deprevation has made me a bit goofy...need icecream)

^website link wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024