Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... #754717
03/25/09 06:50 PM
03/25/09 06:50 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

My name is Adam, and I'm commenting on my version of events for the day, just because I insisted on doing so, because Joey has a different idea about what happened. A very close friend offered to introduce Joey, my autistic patient, to two sugar gliders. I told him that we'd be leaving some time in the afternoon, but from 9 am up until ten minutes before we left, all I heard from Joey was "Are we going soon?" and eventually I caved and left early! Once we got there, his demeanor changed dramaticly. He was afraid he would get bitten or pooed on (neither happened) and he was quite shy around the owners' daughter (so unlike him!) but after an arial attack (on myself) by a hiding sugar glider (in the curtains), he came out of his shell for some play-time with the sugar gliders, and even went so far as to let them eat yogurt and bugs from his hand! He was absolutely thrilled! After my earlier experience, I personally did not want to partake in such activities, but Joey suddenly plopped a dollop of blueberry yogurt into my hand, and I knew that there was no chance of escape. We later learned how to prepare an all-you-can-eat buffet for the sugar gliders, and Joey even got to wear a real chef's hat (he would not let me take pictures). After watching them eat, we got to help out with the not-so-fun task of cleaning their cage. WHEW! Can those little critters ever start a huge food fight! Joey had fun cleaning out the cage, although the vinegar smell (from the cleaner) really bothered him after a few minutes. Immediately after we left, he asked me "When can I get my own?" After that, I can see why so many people recommended he meet sugar gliders before-hand! They are a handful! Joey also drew a picture of himself with the sugar glider. We had a lengthy conversation about the picture as well..

"Joey, why is the sugar glider so much bigger than you?"
"So I can ride on him."
"Do you think he would like that very much?"
"He's a special sugar glider. He likes giving rides."
"Oh. I see. Is that his poo?"
"No! That's icky!"
"Oh, I'm sorry. What is it?"
"It's a mud puddle, you dork!"
"Oh! Well, it's a very nice mud puddle."
"Apparently not!"
"What did you do there? Do you want me to fix that so it looks more like grass?"
"No. It's snow. I do not want it to look like grass because it is snow."
"Oh. Well, I'm just going to go sit in the living-room."
"Yeah, that's a good idea."

Haha, so, you can see that I wasn't really wanted at that point in time! I'm attatching Joey's picture, because he insists, so remember to leave your comments on his artwork. He is very proud of it! wink

Last edited by Jozef; 03/25/09 06:51 PM. Reason: Picture added.
Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754719
03/25/09 07:02 PM
03/25/09 07:02 PM

S
shann0n
Unregistered
shann0n
Unregistered
S

wow, that's a great picture!!!

I'm glad to hear that his playtime with the sugar gliders went well!

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754723
03/25/09 07:04 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

What an awesome story! sounds like you had a great time!

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754724
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
heart It is wonderful to hear that you both had such a good time. Animals are so much easier to relate to than people, sometimes.

I love the picture too, looks like a very special glider. mlove

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754726
03/25/09 07:05 PM
03/25/09 07:05 PM

T
TeresaD
Unregistered
TeresaD
Unregistered
T

That is the most adorable picture, and the story behind it is even better, what a great artist Jozef is, I think I am going to go and try to draw me one of those pictures to hang in my gliders bedrooms, although I am sure it won't come out as well as yours did smile

Last edited by TeresaD; 03/25/09 07:07 PM.
Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754728
03/25/09 07:07 PM
03/25/09 07:07 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

Yes I like the sugar gliders and it was fun and we did alot of things there and the sugar glider was climbing up the drapes and he jumped off and landed on Adam and Adam screamed and he sounded like a girl and we all laughed but Adam was screaming and it was funny because he's a grown up and grown ups don't normally scream and then he wouldn't hold the sugar gliders so I fixed it with yogurt. Some day I will get my own sugar gliders and they will live in a big cage so they have room to fly and I will give them toys but only made of fleece because other things are not safe for them and their cage has to be made from special wire or they get sick and I have to always make sure their water is clean and full or they could get sick that way too.

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: sugarlope] #754730
03/25/09 07:08 PM
03/25/09 07:08 PM

A
aronoiiel
Unregistered
aronoiiel
Unregistered
A

I'm so glad you had a fun time with the suggies. My babies always put a smile on my face no matter what kind of day I'm having. I absolutely love that picture lol the glider is soooo cute and looks very special indeed. The snow is a really nice touch ^_^

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754738
03/25/09 07:16 PM
03/25/09 07:16 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

Thank you I worked very hard on my picture and Adam says I can print it and I'm going to show it to Lisa when she comes home and then I am going to hang it in my room so I can always remember the sugar gliders and their names were Stella and Steve and they made me happy and I had alot of fun and some day I want to go back there again.

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754754
03/25/09 07:24 PM
03/25/09 07:24 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Joey, I love your drawing! You drew a very very good sugar glider! I'm very impressed with how real he looks! I sat here and smiled all the way through the story of your day. I'm so glad you're here, Joey. You make everyone here, hug2 mlove hug2 mlove hug2 mlove smile and feel happy!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754759
03/25/09 07:27 PM
03/25/09 07:27 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
What an awesome experience you had today! I'm so happy to hear that you were able to have one on one contact with the inside things on taking care of sugar gliders.
These are the type of experiences I feel that most adults should have! It sounds like you had a terrific day, and it sure was a good idea to save Adam from his fright with the yogurt.
I love your drawing too! You did a remarkable job. hug2

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: suggiemom1980] #754761
03/25/09 07:30 PM
03/25/09 07:30 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

Guess what I really like it here because it makes me happy and I like to post messages because it's fun and I like to look at the pictures of the sugar gliders because they are cute and some day I will have my own sugar gliders and then I can take pictures too and I will have so much fun and I will be very happy but I am happy right now too because tomorrow I am going to the library and I get to check out as many books as I want and I am going to check out a book about sugar gliders and I am going to read it for my English credit and I will have so much fun and I will be happy.

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754768
03/25/09 07:37 PM
03/25/09 07:37 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
hug2 If you are unable to find much information at the library about sugar gliders please let me know and I will send you a couple that I have extras of.

Have fun tomorrow!

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: LSardou] #754784
03/25/09 08:04 PM
03/25/09 08:04 PM
Chicago Suburbs, IL
GliderGrrrL Offline
Glider Guardian
GliderGrrrL  Offline
Glider Guardian

Chicago Suburbs, IL
That picture is awesome, Joey. I'm glad to hear how happy it made you to meet those sugar gliders today. When you get your own, you will be 10 times happier. Anytime I'm having a bad day, I take out one of mine and suddenly my day is so much better.

Nicole
Mommy to
A spoiled Yorkie, Lexi
2 very spoiled Fuzbutts: Delilah & Nemo
Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754786
03/25/09 08:06 PM
03/25/09 08:06 PM
Sedona, AZ
ozzi Offline
Glider Addict
ozzi  Offline
Glider Addict

Sedona, AZ
Hi Jozef,
I thought you might enjoy watching my boys Boo-Boo and BJ.
Boo-Boo will be 9 this summer and BJ is his son. BJ will be 8 this year.
Just click on the blue words below that say Boo-Boo and BJ

Boo-Boo and BJ

Pat

Pat
You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.....Unknown

Rest in Peace our little sweet friends that have crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge".
I miss you gangel Boo-Boo, Lucy, BJ, and Fivel gangel
Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ozzi] #754813
03/25/09 08:19 PM
03/25/09 08:19 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

I like the video of the sugar gliders and it made me smile alot and I laughed when the sugar gliders were talking and I like the music because it reminds me of the music Lisa plays when it's time to relax so it made me relax but I was laughing too because I liked the sugar gliders and he was going to eat your lunch right out of your hand!

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar gliders... [Re: ] #754815
03/25/09 08:24 PM
03/25/09 08:24 PM
Sedona, AZ
ozzi Offline
Glider Addict
ozzi  Offline
Glider Addict

Sedona, AZ
That was Boo-Boo trying to eat my lunch and he would have eaten it out of my hand if he could have got to it roflmao roflmao roflmao

Pat

Pat
You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.....Unknown

Rest in Peace our little sweet friends that have crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge".
Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: ozzi] #754827
03/25/09 08:36 PM
03/25/09 08:36 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
What a great picture, Joey! I'm so glad you had a good time with the sugar gliders and got to see some of the work that goes into taking care of them. They are so worth it, though! laugh

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: Usha77] #754831
03/25/09 08:44 PM
03/25/09 08:44 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

I like taking care of the sugar gliders and making their food because it was like making a recipe and it smelled like fruit punch and they loved it and I like to clean out the cage because they came out to see us and they crawled on me and it made me laugh and I didn't like the cleaner smell but Adam says I can plug my nose so I can't smell it so that would be okay and some day I will get my own sugar gliders and I will clean out their cage every day so that they smell nice and clean and so they don't get sick from eating old food and some day I am going to find a pouch that looks like a fish and they can crawl in the fish mouth and sleep in its belly but it wouldn't really eat them because that would be scary.

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: ] #754835
03/25/09 08:57 PM
03/25/09 08:57 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Mine sleep in the fish belly from this site:

http://www.gliderdaydreams.com/products/pouches/page2.php

scroll down til you see the fishy.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: Cora] #754840
03/25/09 09:05 PM
03/25/09 09:05 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

I like the fishy pouch because it looks like rainbow fish and rainbow fish is a pretty fish with beautiful scales and he was the prettiest fish in the ocean and nobody wanted to play with him because he wouldn't share his beautiful scales but then one day he gave a scale to every fish he knew and pretty soon every fish each had one beautiful scale and they were all the same but they were all beautiful and then rainbow fish had alot of friends and I like rainbow fish.

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: ] #754841
03/25/09 09:11 PM
03/25/09 09:11 PM
Sedona, AZ
ozzi Offline
Glider Addict
ozzi  Offline
Glider Addict

Sedona, AZ
I forgot to tell you Jozef that the picture you drew is wonderful. I love the colors, and the smile on the Sugar Gliders face is so cute. I could not draw a picture like that if I tried.
Such talent agree

Pat

Pat

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: ] #754842
03/25/09 09:13 PM
03/25/09 09:13 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Jozef
I like the fishy pouch because it looks like rainbow fish and rainbow fish is a pretty fish with beautiful scales and he was the prettiest fish in the ocean and nobody wanted to play with him because he wouldn't share his beautiful scales but then one day he gave a scale to every fish he knew and pretty soon every fish each had one beautiful scale and they were all the same but they were all beautiful and then rainbow fish had alot of friends and I like rainbow fish.

Joey, that's a beautiful story! I haven't heard it before. When you get your gliders, I will send you a rainbow fish pouch for them to sleep in. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: suggiemom1980] #754858
03/25/09 09:25 PM
03/25/09 09:25 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

Thank you I love my picture I drew it is the best picture I have ever drawn and he's a special kind of sugar glider who is big and he likes to give people rides and his favorite food is yogurt and he eats alot of yogurt and his name is Goliath because that's the name of the giant in the story from Sunday school. The story about rainbow fish is in a book that I had when I was little but I got too big for it and the little kids needed it so Lisa said I should give it to them and Jacob colored in it but it didn't ruin the story because he only colored on the blank pages and I am still allowed to read it whenever I want and it's my favorite book because I like rainbow fish because he is very generous, which means he likes to share and I like being around people who like to share because it's funner to play with them but I have to always remember to share too other wise it won't be fun for them to play with me and I will end up like rainbow fish when he didn't share and he didn't have any friends so I have to share so that I have friends who love me.

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: ] #754868
03/25/09 09:29 PM
03/25/09 09:29 PM
Bainbridge, Ohio USA
Donetta Offline
Glider Explorer
Donetta  Offline
Glider Explorer

Bainbridge, Ohio USA
Awesome picture dance clap heart

Slave to :grey: Kicko, Sugar Momma, Rocky, Winkle, Twighlight, Victor, Sugi, Tink, Cady
4 Dogs- Harley,Duce,Riley, Snowflake

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: Donetta] #754877
03/25/09 09:34 PM
03/25/09 09:34 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

Thank you I like your sugar glider picture because it is very cute because he is hiding in your shirt and it is funny and some day I will have a sugar glider and he will hide in my shirt too and it will be funny.

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: ] #754902
03/25/09 10:07 PM
03/25/09 10:07 PM

K
kristalcastle
Unregistered
kristalcastle
Unregistered
K

Jozef, I really hope you get to get your suggie babies someday. I think it's great that you want to share your life with fuzzy butts. Keep us all posted. We will be sending you lots of stuff I'm sure.

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: ] #754906
03/25/09 10:14 PM
03/25/09 10:14 PM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
I really like your picture, Jozef! I am very glad you got to spend time with some sugar gliders and learn more about them. I hope you find some good books to read about sugar gliders, too!

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: LabNGliderMom] #754922
03/25/09 10:26 PM
03/25/09 10:26 PM

J
Jozef
Unregistered
Jozef
Unregistered
J

Tonight Adam is staying over and we are having a sleepover with only big kids allowed and me and Adam and Josh are going to stay up late and we are going to watch a movie and Adam had a fleece blanket he was going to throw away because it has a wine stain and he said I can have it and I found a website about no-sew fleece things and Adam is going to help me make things for sugar gliders and even if I don't get sugar gliders the stuff will still get used because we will send it to the animal shelter so that the sugar glider orphans can have fleece stuff to play with and that makes me happy.

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: LabNGliderMom] #754927
03/25/09 10:29 PM
03/25/09 10:29 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Jozef, what a wonderful picture smile

That's funny that poor Adam screamed from the aerial attack roflmao As you get used to your gliders, you will be able to tell when they are thinking about jumping on you and look the other way, so they land on your shoulder and not your face! My gliders think it's funny to land on my face though. They also think it's funny to hang upside down in my hair and groom my eyebrows roflmao Gliders are very silly animals.

Again, I'm glad you had such a great time and you're learning a lot. smile

Re: An autistic boy's introduction to sugar glider [Re: ] #754950
03/25/09 11:14 PM
03/25/09 11:14 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
When you come to Winona I would be more then happy to bring some of my suagr gliders to come see you! I am not to far from Winona.

I have some books here too, if you can not find many let me know and I will send you some too! smile

Your picture is amazing! I am an adult and can not even draw that good! You will make some sugar gliders very happy one day!

It's such a pleasure having you here with us, your such a wondeful person! hug2

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,595 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,174 OKLAHOMA
432,178 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024