Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anal glands not emptying #750134
03/15/09 08:27 PM
03/15/09 08:27 PM
Dayton, OH
sprocketlover Offline OP
Glider Lover
sprocketlover  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Dayton, OH
So my Billy had an odd bump on his bottom and I took him into the vet for it. The vet wasn't sure what it could be at that time (very good vet) and sent him home with some meds. I took him back in when the bump didn't go away and appeared to get a little bigger (it was like his bottom was swollen). Turns out that his anal glands were not expressing themselves and the vet had to empty them for Billy (similar to a dog). He is on more meds and appears to feel much much better (who wouldn't!). I have been keeping a close eye on him and the vet said that I may have to continue to bring him in once in awhile to have them cleaned out.

Has any one else had experience with this? We aren't sure what could have caused it and if it will be a chronic condition...only time will tell. Also, could this keep him from breeding? Would neutering help if the condition continues?

Amanda and the fam:
Suggies: Billy/Topaz/Kea, Baby/Sprocket, Brulee, Bandit, Darren/Matklin
Dogs: D-O-G,Lilinoe,Ualani
Cat: Joe
Timneh African Grey: Simmy
Parakeet: Kai
An awesome hubby
Waiting for me at the bridge: Roxy,Cosmo,Pebbles,Brownie,Diego,Timmy,Dega, Binx
Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: sprocketlover] #750165
03/15/09 09:31 PM
03/15/09 09:31 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I'm sorry that your little one is having this trouble. This is a common (not frequent) problem with gliders. We have a few members who have to keep a close watch on their little ones to make sure that they are cleaned out.

Sometimes neutering does help, however, the issue is of a nature where the system is naturally prone to develop infections and or the inability to produce enough enzymes to allow the immune system to function fully.

Keeping a close eye on him and continue with the antibiotics is your option for now. If the problem continues, you might need to look at having the anal glands removed.

I hope that this regimen will help and he will recover fully. hug2

Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: LSardou] #750187
03/15/09 10:03 PM
03/15/09 10:03 PM
Houston, TX
wclanton423 Offline
Glider Guardian
wclanton423  Offline
Glider Guardian

Houston, TX
I just had this problem with my male Meeko. I took him to the vet twice to get his glands expressed and I was told to watch him. My vet told me that it could be caused by loose stool that wasn't allowing his glands to naturally express themselves. At the time, the vet did not think I needed medicine yet. I gave Meeko a couple of pieces of oatmeal every other day for a week and the swelling has gone down completely. Supposedly oatmeal thinkens the stool, but please ask your vet what they suggest.

My vet told me the same thing that I might have to bring him in if his glands swell frequently to get them expressed.

I hope he recovers quickly.

Whitney

~Southland Sugar Gliders~

Mommy to:
:grey: :rtmo: :leu: :wfb:
my dogs, Duke and Nikki
my cat Puma
my awesome bunny Swayzee

Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: wclanton423] #750199
03/15/09 10:13 PM
03/15/09 10:13 PM

G
gnhughes
Unregistered
gnhughes
Unregistered
G

Yep...my vet also recommended giving a little dose of oatmeal whenever I feed fruits that cause my suggies to have looser stools. He said oatmeal adds "bulk" to the stool...and in humans, too smile

Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: ] #750211
03/15/09 10:40 PM
03/15/09 10:40 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
I have had this issue repeatedly as well. Apollo did have to have his anal glands removed. It is definitely something that they can live with. If your vet is willing, he can consult with my vet re: what we tried and what was done until the glands had to be removed and after.
Dr. Walsh 918-258-0040

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: ] #750214
03/15/09 10:47 PM
03/15/09 10:47 PM
Dayton, OH
sprocketlover Offline OP
Glider Lover
Glider Lover

Dayton, OH
He is on baytril and a topical called animax which is an antibiotic/anti lots of other stuff. I am going to stop using it though as he and the other gliders are aggressively cleaning the area once it is on. I have been putting it on him and keeping him seperate for awhile before I put him back in, but it isn't helping with the cleaning (I have on OCD clean glider who just won't lay off). He has a 5 week old joey so I can't just remove him from the cage either (even though it is a reverse trio, I want dad in the cage).

If he is still having problems when we go to our next vet appt, what specific questions should I be asking? Now that I have read up a little more I want to be prepared when I go in. This time it will be a real appt and not just a drop off.

Amanda and the fam:
An awesome hubby
Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: sprocketlover] #750250
03/15/09 11:56 PM
03/15/09 11:56 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Next time he is in to have the glands expressed ask the vet do a culture to check for infection.

My Simba has been having this problem as well. It started a couple months ago and I took him in because he was hissing while going to the bathroom. He did have infections present a couple times he had the glands expressed. He will be having the glands removed on Thursday. (This was a last resort, as there are risks and complications to removing the glands) I have a couple posts about it here in health and hygene.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: SugareeErin] #750476
03/16/09 03:30 PM
03/16/09 03:30 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Cayden has problems occasionally with his glands as well (he just started a flare a couple of days ago). I agree with Erin, have them do a culture and sensitivity to be sure he is on the right medication. You can learn how to express the glands at home if you are comfortable doing so (just be gentle/careful). I express Cayden's when they need it.

I haven't completely figured it out yet, but I think Cayden has a reaction to some kind of fruit/vegetable, as his seem to swell when we start a new batch of food (as is the case this week, again). dunno

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: sugarlope] #755407
03/26/09 08:05 PM
03/26/09 08:05 PM
Dayton, OH
sprocketlover Offline OP
Glider Lover
Glider Lover

Dayton, OH
Well we got back from the vet...good news and bad news. The good news is is that his glands weren't all pussy like last time. The bad news is is that they were full and they had to be emptied again. We are now trying baytril and clavamox together in addition to the benebac and will hopefully clear this up. We are going back again in two weeks after this round of antibiotics.

He felt so good after the last vet visit (and having the glands emptied) that I think we have more joeys on the way (99.9% sure that I saw Topaz post-birth pouch cleaning yesterday)! I am waiting for him to wake up to see how he feels. Luckily the vet and his techs love my little man and don't mind seeing him!

Amanda and the fam:
An awesome hubby
Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: sprocketlover] #755863
03/27/09 01:38 PM
03/27/09 01:38 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
DId you have the culture and sensitivity done? This will tell you what antibiotic would work on the infection, they will test it in a lab (Takes a few days for preliminary results, but you will KNOW the antibiotics are working then). The second time Simba had an infection it was resistant to Baytril and Bactrim.

Why did your vet decide to combine the antibiotics? I just have never heard of this, I have no idea if there would be a problem, but I am just wondering how will you know what is working? ..and the Baytril did not work last time?

I strongly advise you have the C+S done if you have not already. By testing these different antibiotics out for short periods of time I fear you will end up with resistance to many different antibiotics, making it harder to find one that works.

Neutering may prevent the glands from swelling. That was what we planned to do with Simba, but I had wanted him to be healthy for it and I waited too long. By the time I decided to just go ahead and schedule the neuter, the glands had to come out. Both surgerys were done at the same time.

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: SugareeErin] #755878
03/27/09 02:09 PM
03/27/09 02:09 PM
Dayton, OH
sprocketlover Offline OP
Glider Lover
Glider Lover

Dayton, OH
I did ask about the culture and he explained that if they are all pussy then it is hard to actually get a good culture...you just end up culturing the puss and don't get any results from it and have spent $75. I didn't ask about the sensitivity. I told him about your thread and how there are other people have gone through this recently. I also told him I have other vet's information if he needs help.

Billy is doing better (he felt great last night!), but I am not suprised. The baytril is working but not quite fast enough so the vet added the clavamox. Once they did the emptying the vet said that Billy also looked much better than he did the last time.

The better I get at giving the meds, the better he gets at squirming!

Amanda and the fam:
An awesome hubby
Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: sprocketlover] #755885
03/27/09 02:20 PM
03/27/09 02:20 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Hm interesting, when Simba's glands were expressed it was a white milky looking substance, not puss. They woudn't be able to do the sensitivity if they can't get a good culture.

I am glad that he is feeling better today. lol I know how you feel about meds, Simba started shaking his head to get the meds out of his mouth, so I had to keep holding him until he swallowed. Some days he fought hard, others he just opened his mouth no problem.

I hope your little one continues to improve. hug2

Re: Anal glands not emptying [Re: SugareeErin] #755960
03/27/09 04:51 PM
03/27/09 04:51 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I have heard of doubling up on meds to clear infections, but my vet said she wouldn't treat for less than 10 days and preferably two weeks, if there was an infection in the glands. dunno

Sorry to hear they swelled again, hopefully the med combo will get it under control. I don't know if this makes a difference to anyone, but neutering isn't necessarily going to clear the problem up, as Cayden was neutered when he was a joey. I still think that it is a reaction (something like an allergy) to some kind(s) of food, in Cayden's case, anyway. dunno

I'm glad Billy is feeling better and hope the glands stop swelling. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024