Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: Xfilefan] #755437
03/26/09 08:54 PM
03/26/09 08:54 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Erin...........he looks my Simba.....is he a WFB??? How weird that we both have a Simba that look so much alike!!

I am so glad he did well today. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: Cora] #755441
03/26/09 09:04 PM
03/26/09 09:04 PM

S
Shelby_JJ
Unregistered
Shelby_JJ
Unregistered
S

I'm so happy to hear the surgery went well!!!!!

Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: SugareeErin] #755477
03/26/09 09:37 PM
03/26/09 09:37 PM
Sedona, AZ
ozzi Offline
Glider Addict
ozzi  Offline
Glider Addict

Sedona, AZ
clap clap I am glad Simbas surgery went well and he is home and doing well clap clap

Pat

Pat
You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.....Unknown

Rest in Peace our little sweet friends that have crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge".
I miss you gangel Boo-Boo, Lucy, BJ, and Fivel gangel
Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: ozzi] #755488
03/26/09 09:41 PM
03/26/09 09:41 PM
Dayton, OH
sprocketlover Offline
Glider Lover
sprocketlover  Offline
Glider Lover

Dayton, OH
I am glad everything went well! Thank you for your help and advice with everything.

Amanda and the fam:
Suggies: Billy/Topaz/Kea, Baby/Sprocket, Brulee, Bandit, Darren/Matklin
Dogs: D-O-G,Lilinoe,Ualani
Cat: Joe
Timneh African Grey: Simmy
Parakeet: Kai
An awesome hubby
Waiting for me at the bridge: Roxy,Cosmo,Pebbles,Brownie,Diego,Timmy,Dega, Binx
Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: sprocketlover] #755493
03/26/09 09:46 PM
03/26/09 09:46 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

So glad all went well! hugs

Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: ] #755517
03/26/09 10:06 PM
03/26/09 10:06 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Thanks everyone! Jen, I have not seen him poop yet, but he has not eaten very much in the last 24 hours so tonight he should eat and poop.

I am switching him over to HPW because of the glands coming out. I will be mixing it with water at first.

Fruits and veggies(reduced) I'll blend together and hand feed as wellto make it easier for him, maybe with a juice?? He doesn't like me holding his food, but eats great from the syringe. I also got a bird silo waterer for him to eat from.

He has mostly just been laying in bed with me all day, everynow and then he walks around, and I keep offering him water and food. He does not want to go in the pouch. He is resting, and I think he slept a little, but not much. I have tons of hammocks in his cage, and I'm going to make some more tonight. He is in his cage now(supervised), I was setting it back up and he ran in.

Cora- Yes Simba is a WFB(Well actually he is a lot of colors all mixed into one lol, he is a Champagne ringtail WFB mosaic-thats him in my avitar smile )

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: SugareeErin] #755552
03/26/09 11:15 PM
03/26/09 11:15 PM
Chicago Suburbs, IL
GliderGrrrL Offline
Glider Guardian
GliderGrrrL  Offline
Glider Guardian

Chicago Suburbs, IL
I'm so glad to hear his surgery went well. Sending more good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Nicole
Mommy to
A spoiled Yorkie, Lexi
2 very spoiled Fuzbutts: Delilah & Nemo
Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: GliderGrrrL] #755557
03/26/09 11:19 PM
03/26/09 11:19 PM
Sycamore Illinois
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Karin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sycamore Illinois
Sooooooo glad to hear Simba is doing well, yeah!!! I hope the healing goes really quick for you both hug2 .

Karin

Miss Lily and Bud
Prada and Armani
Tessa, Deuce and Cami

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"
Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: Karin] #755740
03/27/09 09:26 AM
03/27/09 09:26 AM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
With the ecollar I could not tell that was the same glider as your avatar! He is handsome! How is he doing today???

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: Cora] #755859
03/27/09 01:32 PM
03/27/09 01:32 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I am glad that his surgery went well and yes his little bum looks sore.

I hope he continues to heal fast so he can get out of the ecollar.

Best wishes,

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: Feather] #755874
03/27/09 02:04 PM
03/27/09 02:04 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Hello from the seriously sleep deprived! Simba is doing okay this morning. He stayed in his collar all night without a fight(of course b/c I stayed up all night watching to make sure he didn't ge out) I am still not taking any chances and will continue to monitor him at all times.

The site looks good. It is still swollen, but that is to be expected. I will take some more pictures later. He spends most of his time laying on the rept floor or sitting in his hammock. He is not very active and prefers mostly to just lay around. I think this is to be expected since he does not feel well and is probably exahsted. He likes hanging out in his cage, I think he feels more comfortable there. I have had rept unzipped most of the night and he only wants to come out by me occasionally. (He also really likes my fluffy pillow on my bed)

He drank all his gliderade last night and also ate a little HPW. He was not interested in the fruits and veggies. He was able drink from the water bottles and eat from the silo on his own with no problem.

He did poop some, the poop seemed a little dry but he did not show discomfort and it was well formed. I asked my vet about giving him a bit of veggie oil each day and he said no, he was afraid it would cause diareha, so for now I am just keeping a close eye out when he goes to the bathroom.

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: SugareeErin] #755965
03/27/09 04:55 PM
03/27/09 04:55 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I am so happy to hear that the surgery went well and he is doing ok. I hope you can find some time to rest, if he'll let you. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Anal gland removal - Repost [Re: sugarlope] #756046
03/27/09 06:33 PM
03/27/09 06:33 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Here are Xfilefan's pictures;

Attached Files
DOINGIT4.jpg (95 downloads)
This is what happens if the wrong e-collar is used.
Cmdr_Riker_napping_in_collar_and_mom's_pocket_April______2003.JPG (95 downloads)
Cmdr Riker in his e-collar.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: sugarlope] #756386
03/28/09 03:02 AM
03/28/09 03:02 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Simba much more active than last night and started playing in his cage around 9:00. He played about an hour and ate, then rested for a bit and has been playing again for a while now. He is hopping around hes keeping his head up. smile (Much better than crawling around slowly and just laying around!) He must be feeling a lot better today.

He's pooped a few times today and was well formed and moist, he does not seem to have any problems going to the bathroom.

Here are the day two pictures. One side looks better than the other, one is a little red. The entire area is very swollen.

Attached Files
Day2 (3).JPG (135 downloads)
Day2 (4).JPG (128 downloads)
Day2 (6).JPG (129 downloads)

Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: SugareeErin] #756742
03/28/09 08:23 PM
03/28/09 08:23 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
It's looking good. Keep up with the ointment on it. Unfortunately I don't have all of Binx's pics handy, and my drive on my computer that I need to transfer pics is dying, but here's two-day 4 and day 9 post op, so you can see kind of how things should progress. Binx had his stitches out by day 9, but as you can see, still had healing to do, and one side did heal quicker than the other. In reality, some of the stitches came out on their own (we think courtesy of his back feet) a little before the vet was ready for them to, but we kept on top of keeping it clean and softened (and keeping him from messing with it) and it healed up great.

Attached Files
Binxday4post op3.jpg (112 downloads)
Binx Day 4 after surgery
BinxpostopDay9 03.jpg (108 downloads)
Binx day 9 after surgery

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: Xfilefan] #756999
03/29/09 08:32 AM
03/29/09 08:32 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
My vet didn't want me to put anything on it. He said that unless there is an infection to treat he does not want to use any antibiotics or ointment.

It looks a little red on one side, but not by the incision so I am not sure if it's just blood stained. I will have to take some more pictures today. I scheduled an appointment first thing tomorrow just incase it is an infecton starting on the inside or anything.

He has stayed in his ecollar these last couple days, (he hasn't gotton it off since the first time right when we got home from the vet) I think he just gave up, so I am still watching him all the time. I am keeping the collar clean by wiping up his mess when he eats. I have given him a couple small mealies each day which he really enjoys. I have removed the bird silo feeder b/c he was having trouble with it tonight and put the HPW in a water bottle (It is mixed with 50% water so comes out fine) He seemed to eat more from the water bottle too which is good. He still is not interested in any fruits or veggies. He will give couple licks and then turns away and waddles off.

Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: Xfilefan] #757000
03/29/09 08:34 AM
03/29/09 08:34 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
My vet didn't want me to put anything on it. He said that unless there is an infection to treat he does not want to use any antibiotics or ointment. Also part of the reason was that puutting stuff on it would make him want to go after it more.

It looks a little red on one side, but not by the incision so I am not sure if it's just blood stained. I will have to take some more pictures today. I scheduled an appointment first thing tomorrow just incase it is an infecton starting on the inside or anything.

He has stayed in his ecollar these last couple days, (he hasn't gotton it off since the first time right when we got home from the vet) I think he just gave up, so I am still watching him all the time. I am keeping the collar clean by wiping up his mess when he eats. I have given him a couple small mealies each day which he really enjoys. I have removed the bird silo feeder b/c he was having trouble with it tonight and put the HPW in a water bottle (It is mixed with 50% water so comes out fine) He seemed to eat more from the water bottle too which is good. He still is not interested in any fruits or veggies. He will give couple licks and then turns away and waddles off.

Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: SugareeErin] #757531
03/30/09 11:45 AM
03/30/09 11:45 AM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Back from the vet! Dr. Ness said the site looks great and it is healing well. The swelling has one down a lot since day 1. The redness is still there and it's a little inflamed so we started him on 10 days ammoxocillian to prevent an infection. I will also be giving him an herbal immunity booster(Simba is still fighting a cold frown ). Simba was allowed to be out of the collar for a little bit today before I put on his new clean collar. He played and cleaned his face. I put the collar back on when he started showing interest in the area. I sure am getting good at puuting on that ecollar all by myself.

While at the vet I got to see the pictures from surgery, which was very interesting. The glands were huge, it is very obvious in the photos where he is shaved down. I have to go back later and I am bringing a flash drive to get copies. Dr. Ness has given me permission to post the pitures here so when I get back I will share the surgery photos as well. He is writing up an article regarding the glands and surgery for publication, and including the photos.

Simba actually does not have stiches, glue was used to close the incisions. (Dr. Ness did say there is one stich on the inside)

Here is some pics from yesterday where you can see the redness and inflamation on the left side, they are kind of blury but you'll get the picture. Dr. Ness said that it could be bruising from the surgery.

Attached Files
Day 3 (6).JPG (154 downloads)
Day 3.JPG (149 downloads)
Last edited by SugareeErin; 03/31/09 12:47 AM.

Re: Simba's Surgery... [Re: SugareeErin] #757543
03/30/09 12:27 PM
03/30/09 12:27 PM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
Erin
I am glad Doc gave Simba a good report. You are doing a good job Glider Slave! It is hard when we know they are not well and on top of the lack of sleep the worry takes a toll on us. But you know we glider slaves would do whatever it takes for these guys.

hug2

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Simba's Surgery...Photos of gland removal [Re: BCChins] #757604
03/30/09 02:56 PM
03/30/09 02:56 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Thanks Brenda-I am actually supplementing joeys for the first time too, the worry is overwhelming, but I am trying to stay positive. Simba is back to his old trouble making self and makes me laugh alot. He is wanting to spend more time out of the cage with me each day smile

Here are the photos of Dr. Nye removing the para-cloacal glands courtosy of Dr. Ness.

WARNING-GRAPHIC PHOTOS
Simba's Surgery

Re: Simba's Surgery...Photos of gland removal [Re: SugareeErin] #758206
03/31/09 04:00 PM
03/31/09 04:00 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Poor little man, no wonder his little tush looks so sore.

Glad to hear he is doing much better.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Simba's Surgery...Photos of gland removal [Re: Feather] #758807
04/01/09 01:04 PM
04/01/09 01:04 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Simba is still healing wondefully! He obviously feels much better than before despite his incisions. Before the sugrgery he would crab all the time and he cried alot at night. He has not cried once since the surgery! smile He is no longer taking any pain meds and looks to be feeling pretty good. The redness on the left side went away the day after I started the antibiotics. Here are the pictures from yesterday.

Day 5 pics:

Attached Files
Day 5.JPG (115 downloads)
Day 5 (3).JPG (113 downloads)
Day 5 (7).JPG (115 downloads)

Re: Simba's Surgery...Photos of gland removal [Re: SugareeErin] #758871
04/01/09 03:54 PM
04/01/09 03:54 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
clap I am so glad he is feeling ok and able to be off pain meds! hug2

~Gretchen

Re: Simba's Surgery...Photos of gland removal [Re: sugarlope] #759067
04/01/09 09:55 PM
04/01/09 09:55 PM
NE Ohio
Donnarae Offline
Glider Guardian
Donnarae  Offline
Glider Guardian

NE Ohio
Poor little guy. It is great that your vet is sharing all this information with you, and with us. There is always something we need to learn about these little guys and their misfortunes. Keep up the good work and give him a scratch & tickle from me.

Donna & Bob,
One Miniature American Eskimo dog, Chula;
Six Gliders, Chip & Dale, Caspian & Ceridwen, Sasha & Stubby.

RIP Betty, my love.
Re: Simba's Surgery...Update [Re: Donnarae] #778033
05/10/09 09:34 PM
05/10/09 09:34 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline OP
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Little update on Simba, he healed up great! He had scratched off the glue after about 8 days on one side, 10 days on the other. A bit of skin came off and it left a little pink spot but that healed over very quickly. The neuter site took longer to get all the glue off but he did not mess with it too much. He developed a sore on his neck from the ecollar, so I removed the collar and this healed all on it's own very well. Everything is seemless now and his hair is growing back. He gained all his weight back from pre surgery and more. smile He is so much more active and happy now. Here are some pics from today!

Attached Files
Simba hair.JPG (86 downloads)
Simba tree 1.jpg (86 downloads)
Simba tree.jpg (85 downloads)

Re: Simba's Surgery...Update [Re: SugareeErin] #778049
05/10/09 09:52 PM
05/10/09 09:52 PM
Sedona, AZ
ozzi Offline
Glider Addict
ozzi  Offline
Glider Addict

Sedona, AZ
clap Yeah Sweet Simba mlove clap

Pat

Pat
You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.....Unknown

Rest in Peace our little sweet friends that have crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge".
I miss you gangel Boo-Boo, Lucy, BJ, and Fivel gangel
Re: Simba's Surgery...Update [Re: ozzi] #778519
05/12/09 04:07 AM
05/12/09 04:07 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
He is so much more active and happy now.

One thing I've noticed about anal gland issues...they can be developing for years before we know there's a problem or the swelling is noticeable. Or they're mistaken for recurring UTI's, which, of course, treating for doesn't address the root problem. Because of the area in which those glands are located, once they abscess, are next to impossible to cure. I'm so glad he's feeling better! Thank you for the update and the pics...he sure is a handsome dude!

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024