Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please #762931
04/09/09 10:32 AM
04/09/09 10:32 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
See Part 1 here

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: LSardou] #763120
04/09/09 04:04 PM
04/09/09 04:04 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Hey Everyone! It's time for an update!!!!!

Thanks for all the support LOL.

Ok last night I got a pillow and just laid down in their room and just repeated over and over 'everything is going to be ok'... and guess what PIIIIIIXIE!!!!! Hehehe. Sorry. Pixie's ears didn't go down ONCE!!!! smile She came up to me and her ears were all up and everything smile

Last night my babies were fighting... have no clue why. So it was so hard to keep my calm when they were fighting. I DID have to put my hand in their cage besides giving them their food but I didn't touch them. Tinkerbell was still up and was just sitting next to the cage door. She didn't want to sleep with Pixie so I had to put an extra pouch in there for her. I think they are sleeping together now though.

So... I think we are making progress!!!! smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763123
04/09/09 04:05 PM
04/09/09 04:05 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

OH! Wanted to add... I've never sat by their cage that long. This doesn't really go with this thread but I think my Tinkerbell is growing. LOL

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: LSardou] #763229
04/09/09 08:17 PM
04/09/09 08:17 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

For those reading, (in general), from this point forward Deannawill be dealing directly with Erica, and the particular issues that she is having with Pixie,.

what this means, is that the process is being tailored to Pixie, for others out there, there may be other things that are done first, different times, or places. it all depends on the individual glider.

Erica, that means what you are doing here, may not work for another glider, so be very careful with the advice based on what you learn here after today.

example, with a lunger/crabber/biter, we work at a much slower pace, and work mainly in the cage till the gliders trust us enough to take them out. In ericas case, the gliders are not crabbers, or lungers, and they don't bite her every time she is around them, so we are able to work with her at a different point in the process.

if someone would like more individual help for their glider feel free to call, or start another thread. IF you have any questions and need us to go into more detail and reasons, we would be glad to do that here.

Erica, We need to to pay close attention to everything that Deanna is going to tell you, there will be a lot of info, but all of it is important, read it a couple of times if you need to, so you really understand..

same rules apply, please keep her updated on what you notice, the body language you notice and things that you "think" may be able to help.. keep looking through the eyes of your gliders, watch their body language, not just the ears, but everything.

and good luck.. LOL

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: Bourbon] #763241
04/09/09 08:32 PM
04/09/09 08:32 PM
Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Erica, I need to know what your playtime situation is. Do they play in a tent, closet, room, what? Also, is their cage in your bedroom or do they have their own room? Where is the playtime place located in relation to their cage (same room, different room, etc.)?

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #763334
04/09/09 11:58 PM
04/09/09 11:58 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Bourbon... Thanks that makes perfect sense.

Deanna,
Umm have you taken a look at my post that I made showing their room?
It's right here:
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...date#Post748166

They have their own 'room' it's my walk in closet. It's very big. And their cage is in the same room that they are let out in. Hopefully that helps. (Hope you will be around) smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763336
04/09/09 11:59 PM
04/09/09 11:59 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Their cage isn't in my room... it's in my walk in closet. Which IS in my room, but I have a large room. The door stays open all the time, only gets shut during play time.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763342
04/10/09 12:08 AM
04/10/09 12:08 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Have to take off in a few... hopefully you'll be around wink

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763354
04/10/09 12:28 AM
04/10/09 12:28 AM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Okay. I hadn't seen that post before, no. I need you to take some time to make sure that your bedroom is COMPLETELY glider safe. If one (or both) of your gliders get into your bedroom, it needs to be no big deal. This will be important later.

Tonight, you are going to take them out for playtime-BUT there are some really important things that you are going to do during playtime.

1. Don't take them out for playtime in their pouch. When you take them out for playtime, put your hand (PALM DOWN) 2 inches below and 2 inches in front of your glider and wait for your glider to climb onto your hand. That is how you will transport them out of their cage into the environment outside of their cage, or their playroom/closet. When they come out of the cage, you want them coming out ON YOU. If either one is hesitant to do this, it is okay for now to "lure" them onto your hand using lickys-NO biteys. In other words, no mealworms, yogies, nothing that they have to bite comes from your hand. To deliver the lickys, you can use the back end of a wooden spoon. You can also suck some licky treat up into a 3 inch section of straw and offer them the end of the straw. What I mean by this is to cut a straw into a 3 inch section and suck up some yogurt/applesauce/HPW into it and let them lick it out of the straw. Once you get where you want to be in the closet/room, put your hand up to where you want to let them get off of you.

2. During playtime, you want to repeat the process that I just told you. Put your hand 2 inches below and 2 inches in front of your glider PALM DOWN, allow them to climb on (if you have to lure them on, that is okay), move your hand to somewhere else, and let them off. You don't want your gliders jumping off of you, you want them to climb off where you let them. It is OKAY if they do jump off for now, but the goal is to be able to move your hand without them getting off until you stop moving.

I know this is going to be very, very hard, but tonight during playtime, NO petting. Don't use the palm of your hand for ANYTHING with your gliders right now. When you approach them, it should ALWAYS be PALM DOWN, 2 inches below and 2 inches in front of them. Don't restrict them in any way, let them do what they want. The eventual goal here is that they will climb onto the back of your hand without being lured with the licky treats.

3. When it is time for them to go back to the cage, transport them the same way we just talked about. Get them to climb onto your hand, and let them jump off once they are in the cage.

Stay calm throughout playtime-remember that they pick up on your emotions. I just want to reiterate NO using your palm for anything. Every time you offer your hand to your gliders, it will be the BACK of your hand, your palm will be toward the ground.

Again, we want them to WANT to be on you. They are getting treats when they climb on your hand, so climbing on your hand will be a good thing to them. You will be showing them that your hands are good, fun things. You will be teaching them to stay on you while you are moving.

Do you have any questions?

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #763357
04/10/09 12:37 AM
04/10/09 12:37 AM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Wanted to add:

Remember to watch their body language. In addition to their ears, what movements are they making? Watch for their muscles tensing up, and watch the color of their noses, as purple can indicate stress. What do you see in their eyes? Body language is anything they do that shows us what they are feeling.

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #763359
04/10/09 12:39 AM
04/10/09 12:39 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Ok... I DO have a couple of questions Dee.

First off let me say that what you are explaining is exactly what I got Tinkerbell to do with me. When ever it's play time I stick my hand in the cage and she hops onto my hand to be let out, when it's time to go back I put my hand near her, she hops on and I put her back in the cage.

Now with Pixie I've tried to do this but she would aways bite me so I left her alone. So for her I would just keep the cage door open until she wanted to come on out (which she did right after Tinkerbell) Figured I'd let you know how that goes. Now Tinkerbell just started doing this, so it wasn't like a two second thing I tried and tried (I would give her treats every time she would come on me so eventually she'd stick around on me) Now I don't know how I'm going to do this with Pixie and I'll admit I'm a bit nervous. -You told me to tell you everything and I'm not going to lie.

So... NO petting JUST getting her on me. I have NO idea how I'm going to do that. Do you suggest feeding them after play time so I can lure her better?

I have about 20 more minutes I can stick around... Hopefully you'll respond by then.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763366
04/10/09 12:55 AM
04/10/09 12:55 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

OH And do I have to use a spoon or whatever to use lickily treats or can I use my finger?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763367
04/10/09 12:59 AM
04/10/09 12:59 AM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Do it with the lickys. Prior to now you weren't using lickys, you were using biteys with them, right? It's harder to do this with treats they can hold because they can grab the treat and jump off of your hand. Don't be scared of Pixie, remember she will respond to your emotions. Watch her body language. If you put your hand 2 inches in front and 2 inches below her, she will have to put her head down to bite you. Watch those ears, watch for signs that she's going to bite, and if you see that, it is okay to move away. The licky treat should be distracting enough. Hold the straw over your hand and then show it to her, lure her onto there with it. She will be licking the straw, not biting you.

No petting, just getting her on you. Correct. If you decide to feed them after playtime that is fine, mine ARE more receptive to lickys when they haven't had dinner yet.

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #763368
04/10/09 01:02 AM
04/10/09 01:02 AM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Honestly, I wouldn't use your finger because you don't want to encourage Pixie to bite it if she licks all of the treat off BEFORE you are able to let her off of your hand. A straw works really well because they have to focus on getting their tongue up there to get the treat out.

It's okay if she jumps off when you start moving the first few times, just keep trying to lure her on with those treats.

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #763485
04/10/09 01:16 PM
04/10/09 01:16 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

OK. Before I give you my update. Dee said to tell the truth and nothing but the truth... so... that's what you're going to get. This whole thread has been nothing but the truth and as much as I'm upset I'm not going to lie about last night... as it's going to get me no where. -That's just a suggestion to others that have a problem... if you don't tell the truth, it's going to be a lot harder for people to help you out.

:::::::::Now for the news:::::::
Well... I'm sure you guys are waiting for an update on me. I did everything you said to do last night and I'm so sorry... it didn't go over well upset

Last night was really weird, at least for Tinkerbell it was. I did my normal putting my hand in so she usually hops right on me. But last night she decided to nibble on me. I don't know if the three days away from her mad her upset or what. But I showed her the straw and she hopped on. After that she was fine. She hoped right onto me the rest of the play time. She made it seem like she missed me. She usually sticks on me but today seemed special, maybe it's because I missed them so much.

I'm so upset... I'm so sorry but I don't have good news for Pixie upset
I tried for over a half an hour with her and I couldn't get her out of the cage. I tried the straw... I think she thinks I'm going to drop her. Because when I first showed her my hand with the straw she was half way on and then I moved just slightly and she got off fast. I'm like [censored], then I did it again. And she was almost completly on (minus a couple bites) and then decided she didn't like it and went off. After that it was nothing but biting and I'm sorry but I couldn't take anymore. I forgot what it felt like and trust me Monika it's not like yours... I guess I forgot and figured they were the same. My hands have marks all over it now, I had no clue what else to do. She kept biting, she's even trying to hold me down with her hands... and when I'd move my hand away she would walk slowly up to it, almost like she was trying to chase it. You told me not to pet her or anything. I didn't talk to her or anything, I just said the 'everything is going to be ok'. It was just hurting so bad that I couldn't take it anymore so I had to stop I put my hand out for Tink and she hoped right on and sadly I had to put her back in the cage my hands were hurting so bad. I ran them through some cold water... they still hurt today. I'm just so upset... I tried at it as long as I could. I didn't touch her or force her. She was sitting at her perch and I tried everytime she was just sitting there staring at me. I did exactly what you said to do, I tried the straw and everything. upset

Well I told you nothing but the truth... maybe I missed something and did something wrong. But I felt like I was getting better with her and then it stopped and then I was getting better with her it stopped and now it's the same thing.

I believe I followed everything you said to do. OH and for the body language... Her ears were UP! Even when she was biting... I was so confused because usually her ears go down. frown

Well Dee I hope you'll know what to do and I explained everything for you. I'm sorry, I wish I had better news for you. She was so close and then I guess she didn't like it and stopped. I didn't even get to get her out of the cage! upset

While we were doing the three day thing I guess I forgot what she was like. I really hope you guys can help me with this. Can we get through this?

It's not so much the physical pain... it's more the emotinal pain. I did my best at staying calm and I kept saying the 'everything is going to be ok' to her. And her ears kept staying up so I'm like, oh goodie this is going to be good! I wish I had better news for you guys...
It sucks looking at my hands and it's my pet that did that...

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763489
04/10/09 01:23 PM
04/10/09 01:23 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

I think she's actually worse in the cage though. I've been bitten more times when she's in the cage rather than she's out...

It's almost as if she got worse because she always comes out of the cage. Last night she didn't even try.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763499
04/10/09 02:04 PM
04/10/09 02:04 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

I am sorry Erica, OUCH! I don't Pagen has ever left marks. I am sure these glider experts will have advice for you. I am doing about the same thing as you, and for step two I will probably spend like a week on it LOL My babies don't quite trust my hands yet.

Good luck, I feel like we are in a school sport or something, and we have to practice smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763519
04/10/09 03:08 PM
04/10/09 03:08 PM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

I was a little confused by Pixie's behavior, so I asked Bourbon what was up. She said that you did EVERYTHING right last night, Erica. Our goal is to find out what Pixie's limit is, to see how many times you can try with her before she says "Forget this," and doesn't want any more.

Tonight, wear a hoodie or long sleeve sweater, something you can pull down over your hand. Pull it down over your hand to protect your skin before you offer your hand to Pixie. Your sweater will have your scent on it, so for now, that's fine. You recognized when she decided that she didn't like it and she got off. Tonight, only try TWO times.

When you try to lure her on, make sure that you don't move unless/until she starts crawling up your arm. If she jumps off, that is okay, give her the treat and then wait 10 to 15 minutes before trying again. Leave the cage door open and watch her. If she comes to the front like she wants to come out, go up to her and offer her your hand w/the lickys.

Again, you didn't do anything wrong. I still feel that this is progress with Pixie because you are learning more about her.

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #763521
04/10/09 03:14 PM
04/10/09 03:14 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Good. I'm glad I didn't do anything wrong.

You said only try this TWO times. Try it two times with a sweater? Or two times with my bear hands? She has gotten on me before with my sweater. I had to do that when she wouldn't let me hold her so I picked her up gently with my sweater and she was fine with that. I think the sweater will work. I just figured it woudln't be good because I thought it was like the glove thing where you aren't suppose to wear gloves to hold them.

So we're doing nothing during the day? Only at night? I hope we can get through this. Had to have my hands on ice today... That makes her sound bad but I have super thin hands. I hate my hands... and I get bruises from her bites for some reason. I tried as long as I could giving her about 5 minute breaks each time before I put my hand back in. I really tried, I just couldn't take it anymore.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763522
04/10/09 03:16 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

So really only do it two times tonight? I guess I'm a little confused because you said wait 10 to 15 minutes. Hmm...

If she goes on then I do it more? Or... Sorry.

Have to take off for a little bit.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763523

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

OH Another thing... Can I pet Tinkerbell? Just wondering durring play time. And I was wondering you said no petting can I play or no?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763534
04/10/09 03:59 PM
04/10/09 03:59 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

yes erica, petting tinkerbelle is fine, (wait till Deana comes in again and explains the "pet count" )but we want you to concentrate on pixie.. when she jumps off of you wait 15 minutes before you offer her your hand, palm down (covered by your shirt) when she gets on you, give her a licky treat, use the straw it really does work well. (reward her for getting on you)

you are doing great, I know it hurts..

during the day, open the cage, tell them everything is going to be okay, then close the door.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: Bourbon] #763601
04/10/09 06:24 PM
04/10/09 06:24 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Ok thanks for letting me know. I didn't pet Tinkerbell last night because I didn't know if it was ok. LOL.

I picked up some yougart today and some more straws. smile Hopefully she'll like it. I still have applesauce and pear sauce. I used apple sauce last night.

Ok I got the 15 minute thing. I was just wondering what the ONLY TWO TIMES meant really.

I really hope we can get through this. I'm trying my best.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763675
04/10/09 07:59 PM
04/10/09 07:59 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Quote:
I tried for over a half an hour with her and I couldn't get her out of the cage.

total time

Because when I first showed her my hand with the straw she was half way on and then I moved just slightly and she got off fast.

Time 1

I'm like [censored], then I did it again. And she was almost completly on (minus a couple bites) and then decided she didn't like it and went off.

Time 2

After that it was nothing but biting

Time 3 etc...

notice after the second time, she did a lot of biting, so that was too much..

that is okay, you didn't do anything wrong, but what you learned is the steps she took, so by only trying 2 times, you will not be reaching the "nothing but biting stage..

sometimes you have to try things, to find out from them, what it is they will tolerate/allow you to do. Then you go backwards, and don't do it as much.

when she jumped off of you, .. you said it..

Quote:
I think she thinks I'm going to drop her.

then you said..

Quote:
she was half way on and then I moved just slightly and she got off fast.

this was very very good Erica, you noticed her movements, and you thought through her eyes..

so now take that, just that first part I just posted, and ask yourself, and please tell Deanna. since you "think", that she is afraid your going to drop her.. then what can you do now, to help her learn you won't?

offer ideas and suggestions to Deanna, and see what she thinks about them,

this is very very important, because later on down the road, things will happen, and you will be able to figure all this out by yourself, but it does require practice.

you are doing very well keep up the good work..

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: Bourbon] #763687
04/10/09 08:35 PM
04/10/09 08:35 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Hmm. I was thinking about this. I think I just need some way to support my hand so I don't move at all then once she gets on give her the treat. I've been thinking all day of this trying to think of what I can do today differntly.

I understand the time thing now. I can't wait to see what happens tonight.

I don't really know what to do for her to learn I won't drop her. Hmm that's been on my mind all day today and she's got me stumpted.

Thanks... I'm glad I'm doing good.

Hey just wondering I thought by having them in a bonding pouch with you that helps the process? When I was reading how to bond with them that's what they said to do. But I noticed we aren't doing that. Is there a reason for this? I'd love to learn more if there is a reason. smile

Hey... Pixie LOVES feathers can I lure her with a feather? That's like the only thing she can't resist. I wonder if that will work better. That's how I usually get her on my lap during play time. What do you guys think.

And the play thing is still on my mind Dee... You said no petting. Can I play with them or no?

Thanks guys again hug2

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763832
04/11/09 01:43 AM
04/11/09 01:43 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

LOL... Figured Dee would come around... Or someone.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #763840
04/11/09 01:57 AM
04/11/09 01:57 AM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

sorry Erica, we don't want you to think we forgot about you, Deanna is out for the night.. and asked if I could respond to you..

Quote:
Hey just wondering I thought by having them in a bonding pouch with you that helps the process? When I was reading how to bond with them that's what they said to do. But I noticed we aren't doing that. Is there a reason for this? I'd love to learn more if there is a reason

yes there is a time, and right now we have to work on this first.. that will be our move after we work on this area..
think about it this way, right now you are working with her in a larger area.. can you imagine working with her in a much smaller area right now? We don't want you to get bit anymore from here on in.. when it comes time for the pouch work, we want her (pixie) to be okay with your bare hands, and coming to them on her own.. this won't take as long as you may think.. thank you for being patient with us..

our FULL concentration must be on the area we are working on now. remember everything you are learning now, you will also be using when we start working with the pouch.

something else I want you to keep in your mind.. that PIXIE may be a playtime glider, not wanting to cuddle as tinkerbell does. it doesn't mean she won't be happy, just that she may be happier as a playtime glider. so the first thing we are going to work on, is HER comfort zone. and her personality.. remember your words.. she wants to go, go, go.. that is not a bad thing, so we are going to start with a relationship, in a way, she can do what SHE wants, if she wants to go, go, go. then we are going to let her, and at the same time, you will be able to enjoy her in her element.. I hope I explained this right..

Tinkerbell.. yes.. it is okay for you to pet her, as there has never been an issue with that right? so with her.. we are going to start what we call the "pet count"

which means you will increase the amount of time you pet her each time.. with time in between each time..

example..

SINCE TINKERBELL has never had an issue with you petting her we can start with like a 20 count. (for pixie, it will be much lower when we start..)

okay what you will do is when you pet her, you will pet her , with confidence..cause you KNOW you won't get bit.. this is going to be very important when you start to work with pixie, so please take time now to practice this..

although you will be working with tinkerbell, I want you to "THINK" that it is pixie in your head.. start to pet her, and slowly count to 20, then stop..give yourself about 3 or 4 minutes before you do it again. do that 4 times. every move you make, must be done with confidence. just do it.. do not go slowly you will put your hand so the heel of your palm is at her head and pet her back, back of the neck and body. pet her very gently, but do not move real slow. but don't move real fast either..

as for the feathers... IF the feather is a long one, Deanna, said her gliders bite at the feathers, so as long as they are long, and it isn't so short they would associate them with your fingers.. that would be fine.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: Bourbon] #764003
04/11/09 02:18 PM
04/11/09 02:18 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Time for my update!

Last night was great. I did the sweater thing that I was told to do and it worked... But I knew that was going to work. I have to admit I only tried the sweater once and that was when I tried to get her out of the cage. Then she wanted down off of me right away so I let her. Then she went to the box of feathers and pulled one out.
So... I took the feather and bribed her up on me and she sat on me the entire play time. I have to admit that I didn't do what you said completly. I couldn't resist petting her and I did it once to see how she would react and she started chirping so I pet her some more... I just couldn't resist.

She sat on my hand the entire time then would move up to my shoulder, then move up to my hand. I would put her in the cage with my hand (not covered up with a sweater) and then take her back out without the sweater on and she'd come on me. She came on me like three times while she was in the cage without the sweater on... So I did it! I did step two! smile

I watched her body language and... her ears were up the WHOLE time!!!! smile

I'm sorry I pet her... I couldn't resist and you guys told me not to lie and to tell you everything I did... I didn't want to tell you guys. LOL. I watched her the whole time and she even would turn around like she was going to bite but she just sniffed my hand. I think what my problem is (usually) when she turns around I automatically think she's going to bite me and I get nervous.

Right now... one of them is in their pouch barking... LOL

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764019
04/11/09 02:50 PM
04/11/09 02:50 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

You're doing great Erica!!! Congrats on the progress!!! Has anyone thought that maybe the biting is jus a grooming thing for Pixie??? I know some people seem think that their gliders nibble on them to show affection. Bella chews on my neck all the time, ans I know she is grooming me when she does that. But I have tougher skin than poor Erica. frown Are you using any kind of hand cream, or do you have perfume or anything on your hands that may be upsetting her??? Even cosmetics can do it. Hmm...

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764027
04/11/09 02:58 PM
04/11/09 02:58 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

No. I don't ever wear purfume... only on special occasions, it makes me sick I can't handle the smell. Same with lotion.

I don't think it's grooming. Because she's not trying to groom me when she bites. She just will reach out with her hand to pull me and bite down HARD. It's very painful. She was my little baby girl last night.
I really don't think it's grooming though. Because she's biting down so hard. When she was grooming me it was a softer bite and she was licking me while she was doing it. This time she's just trying to bite.

Thanks Robin! hug2 I hope I'm doing this right... LOL

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024