Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764028
04/11/09 02:58 PM
04/11/09 02:58 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

ONE thing though. I have cats... Just wondering if that's a possibility. Tyler has a dog... But I'm just wondering if that has any imput.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764109
04/11/09 07:01 PM
04/11/09 07:01 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Well then, just keep doind EXACTLY as Deanne and Bourbon suggest. I see that you ARE making progress with this process, don't give up wink

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764133
04/11/09 08:10 PM
04/11/09 08:10 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

I can't wait to hear what to do next. smile I'm eagerly awaiting Burbon and Dee's reply! smile

I can't wait until I get to have my babies in the bonding pouch again. I miss them so much. cloud9

Thanks Robin hug2 with all the support it would be hard to give up.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764180
04/11/09 09:58 PM
04/11/09 09:58 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Erica, do tonight what you did last night. go back and read my last post .

the concentration on Pixie is going to be to allow her the freedom to come and go as she pleases once she is out, if she gets on you and you don't have to make any big moves, or stretches.. etc.. do a 5 count pet on her. with tink you can do a 20 if she will let you, but keep them to only 5 slow seconds with pixie. then stop.

work on enticing pixie to come onto you, on her own, our goals here, are for her to do it, without your hand and arm being covered, once she does start to do that, take 2 days to reinforce that. remember, it isn't about how long they stay on you during playtime, it is about them getting on you, and then getting off. keep track of how many times she does do it, watch her, not just her ears.. but everything, their eyes, their facial expressions, etc how they react to sounds, movements etc..

please do NOT rush this part, this is so very important for LONG term relationships. if this part is rushed, then she may be okay for a short time, but very well may revert back to her old ways, and if she does do that.. we will have to come back to the cage again.. so taking your time now, is very very important.

the goal is learning to play with her, and building trust at the same time.

night time is PLAYTIME .. be their tree, be part of their playtime, but getting them to come to you, and allowing them to go off.

stay focused..

good luck let us know..

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: Bourbon] #764194
04/11/09 10:33 PM
04/11/09 10:33 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Hey Bourbon. Did you check my update? I did say I got her to go on me without my hand being covered smile She went on it mulitple times and no biting.

So basically I'm trying to get her to have the same behavior as Tink is showing towards me? Tinkerbell will always crawl, jump and chill out on me. Is that the behavor I'm trying to get out of Pixie? Tyler did tell me that Pixie isn't really a 'play' glider. He said she doesn't seem to play with anything... and I've noticed this too. I can't seem to get her to have fun or jump around. She usually just sits in one spot and just chills or runs on her wheel. She's not like Tink where she jumps, glides and everything. In fact, I haven't noticed any 'play' behavior from her.

I went back and read your post. 'PIXIE may be a playtime glider, not wanting to cuddle as tinkerbell does' -- This is what I've been trying to explain. She is the one that IS the cuddle bug. Not Tink. Tinkerbell will cuddle but Pixie was the one that always iniciates it, if that makes sense. That's why in my original post I said I was confused with her behavior.

Lemme see if this explains it better:
Pixie durring play time: Is very slow. She doesn't play but wants to check everything out. She doesn't seem to like the fleece wall or doesn't seem to like high things very much, I've only seen her glide once but that's because I put her up high (which people suggested on the forum) to get her to glide... which she did, but that was a face hug.
She doesn't play... with the feathers she just wants to chew on them, not so much play.

For Tink...she plays like crazy, she's extreamly hyper and doesn't really chill out. She's not a biter but when I first got her she was the one that wouldn't stop crabbing but I got her to stop. smile She now will snuggle with me when Pixie will and is just a little baby. She's curious but not as curious as Pixie. She's the one that stays back for Pixie to check it out first then she'll run and check it out.

They are both completly different. Pixie seems to enjoy being petted more. Tinkerbell does give me the chirps but not as often.

More like Pixie acts like she's 50 and Tink acts like she's 2. She's a wild child.

And for the petting, yes. I can pet Tinkerbell as long as I want. In fact I think Pixie enjoys petting more so than Tink does. Pixie chirps when I pet her, she's the cuddle bug too. Tinkerbell is more the follower... once Pixie would come out and snuggle with me she'd come out and want to snuggle up with me.

--It's really hard for me to explain their behavior without you being over to see it... LOL.
Feel free to ask questions if you need to understand them more. I'm trying my best to explain. smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764255
04/12/09 12:13 AM
04/12/09 12:13 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

I wanted to address my concern about something that has been on my mind... When I first got Tinkerbell she was a STRONG crabber in the pouch and she would even launch at me at times. But it wasn't a launch... like a bite launch she'd launch at me with her mouth open but she'd shut it. Like she'd be crabbing and I knew once I put my hand in there and realized it was me she'd chill out and snuggle... but she'd launch and then her nose would hit me and she'd be like oh, it's you.

I was just wondering with me not going near the pouch anymore if it will bring her back to her old ways? Because it took me a couple weeks or so to get her to stop crabbing completely. I've just been stressing over this and it would really help if you guys tell me it's going to be ok and that won't happen. Just been on my mind since I haven't been touching the pouch at all. Hopefully you guys understand what I mean.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764268
04/12/09 12:46 AM
04/12/09 12:46 AM
Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Hey Erica, sorry I wasn't able to post last night but I was out & I've been having computer issues today. BUT it's all good now...
So, I don't think that Tink will go back to crabbing and lunging just because you aren't touching the pouch. I went out of town for a week recently and my gliders got very little interaction while I was gone, and they weren't carried around at all. When I came back, their behavior in the pouch was the same as when I left-and these guys both used to crab incessantly in the pouch and lunge and bite. I think that Tink will be fine. Bourbon, if you disagree or think that it's possible that Tink will go back to her previous behavior, please feel free to let me know.

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #764276
04/12/09 01:12 AM
04/12/09 01:12 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Hey Dee! smile

Good to know... Now I'll stop stressing over the issue.

I feel as though I made progress with Pixie last night. I hope the same will happen tonight.

She kept turning around and I did start to flinch thinking she was going to bite me and I messed up... I had to tell myself to stay calm or she'll bite you because you're scaring her. Truth be told all she wanted to do was sniff me. I was so happy when she went on me like three times when she crawled on me without the sweater. I even put her back in her cage without the sweater on. She was my little angel last night. cloud9 Just made me realize how much I missed her! LOL

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764308
04/12/09 03:05 AM
04/12/09 03:05 AM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

That's AWESOME! Good luck with her tonight smile

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #764335
04/12/09 10:33 AM
04/12/09 10:33 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!! I LOVE my baby...

I had the BEST night I've ever had... easter came early last night.

Ok... I'm going to give you a play by play of what she did.

Tinkerbell is aways the first one up so I had to wait a little under a half an hour for her to wake up so I just played with Tink.
She peaked her head out of her pouch, like she always does and then she started getting out of the pouch. I thought yesterday went well but I was still a little nervous thinking she may go to bite because she just woke up. I DIDN'T LURE HER!!! She went right onto my hand and it wasn't even near her yet. I was scared that she was reaching to bite me like she always does so I got ready to almost pull away once I noticed her teeth... but NOPE she was trying to make me come closer so she could get on!!!!!!! That hasn't happened before!

Ok... think that was good? She wanted to STAY on me! She got on me and was looking for her feather because tink had hers (they both have a certain feather they like) so she was chilling out on my hand... Then it dropped and she was just sitting waiting for me to pick it up.

Ok... now for the good part. She stopped playing with her feather so she kept looking at the food so I figured she was hungry so I put her down by her food and she crawled off... After she was done she looked at me and started HEADING BACK!!!! She hopped on my leg (I was sitting on my knees) grabbed her feather and hopped up on my arm! I almost cried. She never does that let alone go on my legs!!!!

She kept going back onto me the entire play time. I couldn't believe it. That was the best night ever! I am so happy... I couldn't believe it.

I only got bit once and that's because she missed the feather and bit me instead and when I hissed she was like oh sorry. Usually when I hiss she doesn't move!

OMG I couldn't believe it. I had to stay calm when she came back to me because I almost started tearing up. I had to tell myself to stop because it might make her get off. LOL.

Even if it doesn't even get better than this I'll be happy. I couldn't and still can't believe what happened last night. I kept thinking it was a dream. BTW she LOVES the little thing you take off of milk, the milk loops. Last night was the first night she got to see it. She likes it just about as much as her feathers.

It was so funny... Usually Tinkerbell is used to being the only one on me. I swear she was getting jealous... I don't know if sugar glider get jealous though. She kept coming onto me where Pixie was and just taking her toys away from her. And she'd crawl up on my shoulder and just look at her like why is SHE here? LOL. It was so cute.

Could it possibly get better than this? cloud9

I didn't think this would ever happen. She was an angel last night. cloud9

I did the 5 pet count last night. I really don't think petting is an issue with her though. She likes being pet.

Awe... I'm still on cloud9

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764336
04/12/09 10:37 AM
04/12/09 10:37 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Like I said the other day... I think she just had to know that I wasn't going to drop her and that I'm safe... Then today it's like she liked how yesterday went and wanted to do it again. cloud9
I'm so happy! grin

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764355
04/12/09 11:44 AM
04/12/09 11:44 AM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
I've been reading this thread as its been updated, but havent said anything. Im so glad youre having good luck with your baby! Congrats! smile

Proud Mom to Princess Pim The Insane. heart(and several other babies, skin and fur.)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. Gliders have indentured servants.

:rbridge: Dexter. You left blueberry stains on my wall and pawprints on my heart. I love you Decker-Boy. heart
Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: MissSarah] #764356
04/12/09 11:48 AM
04/12/09 11:48 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Thank you! hug2 You have NO idea how happy I am today... grin It really helps when you guys say good things. smile

I appreciate everyone that has been following this thread! I couldn't of done it without you guys. I can't believe WE are making progress... I think both of us, including me... are getting more and more comfortable around each other and I think that's helping us. As I'm becoming more comfortable she's picking up on that and I feel as though it helps her. As hard as I've been trying to be calm... you really have to show that you are comfortable too.

I think both of us are just staring to come together... It's not just her that needs to trust... I need to learn that Pixie is fine. And I'm getting better and better... we both are smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764362
04/12/09 12:22 PM
04/12/09 12:22 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Great Job Erica!!! Keep up the good work..

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: Bourbon] #764402
04/12/09 04:11 PM
04/12/09 04:11 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Thanks! smile

I had too much fun with her last night. I stayed up SUPER late. blush

Will it truly get better than this? jump

Do you guys agree with what I'm saying? It's not just her it's me... we both need to learn to trust each other.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764443
04/12/09 07:09 PM
04/12/09 07:09 PM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

That's exactly what I meant in my first post in Part 1 of this thread, when I said that I didn't think that you trusted her-totally what I meant! That's GREAT to hear, keep it up!

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #764455
04/12/09 08:15 PM
04/12/09 08:15 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

I know Dee! Now I just come to realize it! hug2

I'm so unbelievably happy! I can't wait until tonight!

So just do the same stuff right?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764458
04/12/09 08:23 PM
04/12/09 08:23 PM
Twin Lakes, WI
Nicki Offline
Glider Lover
Nicki  Offline
Glider Lover

Twin Lakes, WI
Congrats Erica!! grin dance

Your doing great!! grin

~* Gliders need a voice, they will always have mine (and my heart, too!) *~

I'm always willing to help. 262.206.2888 you can contact me anytime, day or night.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: Nicki] #764481
04/12/09 09:55 PM
04/12/09 09:55 PM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Yes, same stuff tonight.

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #764519
04/12/09 11:11 PM
04/12/09 11:11 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

OOOH I can't wait for tonight. I keep checking the time. LOL Am I crazy or what! roflmao I had so much fun last night I hope she's the same tonight. smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764691
04/13/09 02:00 PM
04/13/09 02:00 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Last night went good.

She crawled onto my hand and no biting. She didn't really want to be on me last night though. She wanted to do her own thing. Which was ok. I put her in the cage like 5 times and she would crawl onto me to come back out. --I can tell now when she's either thirsty or wants in her cage smile

No sweater was used last night... I didn't use lickily treats just like the other day when she wanted to be on me. I didn't lure her with anything just like yesterday so I think we are doing good.

Dee,
I think I found the problem. I've been putting my hand too close to her face for her to come on me. I put it too close today and she almost bit me... but she gave me warning. So I think I figured out that's been the problem for that part. I think it's just scaring her. She's getting more and more comfortable around me though. I mean I said she snuggled with me before but now she seems to want to check me out during play time, not as much as Tink. But we'll get there. I know it's harder to gain trust on older ones. Although all gliders are different. We can do it. I hope we can.

I had to pick her up today and no bites. She kept going in this little bin where their pouches are and want out LOL. So I picked her up very calmly and she was great. I gave her a little pet on her back and she started chirping like OH THANK YOU!!! I picked her up when she was trying to find the way into the cage too. smile

OOH I forgot to tell you guys. Pixie groomed me yesterday and last night. Completely forgot that. Remember I said she was just chillin on me and wanted to be on me? She started grooming me with tongue ONLY! smile She did it today too. smile I didn't stop her because she was only using her tongue. It was so cute.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764811
04/13/09 06:31 PM
04/13/09 06:31 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

WOW I hope one day Jack and Pagen chirp when they get loved!

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764821
04/13/09 07:08 PM
04/13/09 07:08 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

It's more a clicking noise when they get pet. Tink chirps when she's checking something out and it sounds like a bird. Like if she's seeing what I'm doing she'll start chirping like a bird.
But when they are being pet they make a clicking noise. smile

I'm sure they will smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764822
04/13/09 07:11 PM
04/13/09 07:11 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Quote:

Dee,
I think I found the problem. I've been putting my hand too close to her face for her to come on me. I put it too close today and she almost bit me... but she gave me warning. So I think I figured out that's been the problem for that part. I think it's just scaring her.

Erica, can I suggest going back and reading the thread again from the beginning, this time read it very slow and try to read everything..

You are finding out things, that we have already addressed, and these are things that could help you each time you are with them.

I am very, very proud of you, I want to say, because you are learning these things on your own, it is taking you a bit longer, but that is okay. At least it shows that you are paying attention to their body language and seeing what scares them.

here is step 2 of the playtime process, that was posted.

Quote:

2. During playtime, you want to repeat the process that I just told you. Put your hand 2 inches below and 2 inches in front of your glider PALM DOWN, allow them to climb on (if you have to lure them on, that is okay), move your hand to somewhere else, and let them off. You don't want your gliders jumping off of you, you want them to climb off where you let them. It is OKAY if they do jump off for now, but the goal is to be able to move your hand without them getting off until you stop moving.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: Bourbon] #764908
04/13/09 09:57 PM
04/13/09 09:57 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Yeah I know that part. That's what I am saying... that's why she was biting me. I read that part and that's why I told Dee because I believe that she was the one that wrote that? Or maybe it was you. That's why I'm saying I found the problem because I think that's why she bit me before.

I'll go back and read it again though. smile

Same thing tonight? Or... Just wondering how long we do this step smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764954
04/13/09 11:21 PM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Same thing tonight smile

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764955

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

I have never heard them make this a chirping or clicking noise even when they are in their cage? hmm? Maybe they are too young still? I dont know, they do know how to bark like crazy though lol

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764960
04/13/09 11:28 PM
04/13/09 11:28 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

LOL. They may not start until later. Tink does it and she's about the same age as your guys. smile
They don't make any noise when they are getting their mealies, treats or being pet? wow... I'm sure they will soon enough. wink

OK Dee! smile I will.

Last edited by prettyinpink; 04/13/09 11:29 PM.
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: ] #764974
04/13/09 11:47 PM
04/13/09 11:47 PM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Mine didn't start making noise until after I'd been working with Bourbon for a bit.

Edited to add...noise OTHER than crabbing, that is lol. I should have said that they did not chirp or click until after I'd been working with Bourbon.

Last edited by DeeDancer; 04/14/09 12:09 AM. Reason: Clarification

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please [Re: DeeDancer] #765181
04/14/09 03:48 PM
04/14/09 03:48 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Da de dum dum... Time for de update!!!

dance jump dance

I fell asleep early yesterday so my babies woke up early this morning. LOL.

I had so much fun! Pixie was my lil buddy again. She came onto me (my hand) and just chilled out there. So she was all good. I had to go to the bathroom so I put her back in her cage and while I was picking up Tinkerbell she JUMPED ONTO ME!!! cloud9 Awe. And when I say jump... I mean JUMP! She was at the end of her cage and jumped all the way over to me from the end of her cage onto my neck. And chilled out on my shoulder. Needless to say I had to hold it. Couldn't resist her. LOL. Little brat. I played with them for like three hours. I had so much fun. cloud9

I've never played with them that long! roflmao

No bites today either... smile

While Pixie is becoming better and my little buddy. Tinkerbell is learing to jump on me when called. We were playing this today. I would pat my chest and give her a treat everytime she would jump onto me. hehehe. She's a little stinker.

Last edited by prettyinpink; 04/14/09 03:50 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,080 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,166 UTAH
321,694 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024