Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mosaic Question #775493
05/05/09 09:17 PM
05/05/09 09:17 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
When breeding a mosaic, is there any link between how much mosaic/white is on the parent and how much will be on the babies that turn out to be mosaic?

I hope that made sense...I know it was kind of a run-on.

For example, if the parent just has a white tail, does that mean the mosaic babies will tend to have white tails? If the parent is a white mosaic with mostly white & just a light grey stripe, does that indicate that the babies would have a lot of white? If a glider only has white feet, is it very likely to have mosaic babies?

I understand there's a 50-50 chance for mosaic babies when you pair a mosaic to a non-mosaic. I'm just wondering if there's a way to predict how much mosaic the mosaic babies will have.

Thanks,
Misty

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775498
05/05/09 09:24 PM
05/05/09 09:24 PM

P
partyofsix
Unregistered
partyofsix
Unregistered
P

A mosaic glider no matter how little white they have can have any kind of mosaic. I don't think you can predict how much white their joeys will have. My mosaic Julian just has a white face, one white ear, a small white s shape on his neck, white hands and feet, and a white tail. His first joey is all white and looks like a leu at first glance.

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775502
05/05/09 09:27 PM
05/05/09 09:27 PM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
That is the fun of having a mosaic. You could have one with one white toe and the offspring of that glider be a be a white mosaic. You never know what you are going to get.

ToandFro Gliders

http://www.toandfrogliders.com

USDA Licensed breeder for 12 years and counting!

WE SELL THE STEALTH WHEEL
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: Sheila] #775506
05/05/09 09:37 PM
05/05/09 09:37 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
That's what I was thinking, but wanted to confirm. The hubby and I are considering doing a trio with a male mosaic and two WFBs. Since these are primarily our pets, we really want a pretty mosaic but don't want to pay too crazy of a price. We found a white mosaic that we like but were kind of wondering if he'll really throw prettier babies than some other mosaics we found that have a white tail or a ring tail. The white mosaic is from possibly sterile lines that have been bred out.....the other ones aren't. So we're debating....do we get the super pretty white mosaic from sterile lines or do we get another one we think is really pretty but is a bit cheaper. Ahhh....decisions, decisions.

So....here's a related question: Does a white mosaic have white mosaic babies or can it have regular mosaic babies?

And if a glider only has white feet (and a mosaic parent) is it most definitely a mosaic?

Thanks,
Misty

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775521
05/05/09 10:05 PM
05/05/09 10:05 PM

P
partyofsix
Unregistered
partyofsix
Unregistered
P

A white mosaic can have any form of mosaic.
I would think that if a glider has white feet and comes from mosaic lines that it is a mosaic. Unless it is from the champagne lines as I believe some of them have white hands and feet, but are not mosaics.

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: ] #775527
05/05/09 10:11 PM
05/05/09 10:11 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
Thank you. Here's another one for you. When pairing a mosaic to a WFB mosaic, would 100% of their babies be mosaic? And 50% of their babies be WFB mosaic? Is there such a thing as WFB mosaic?

And another - if the mother of the same pairing is from sterile lines, would all of the male offspring be possibly sterile? And all of the female offspring be possibly passing on the sterility?

Misty

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775549
05/05/09 10:35 PM
05/05/09 10:35 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Originally Posted By: IowaMisty
When pairing a mosaic to a WFB mosaic, would 100% of their babies be mosaic? And 50% of their babies be WFB mosaic? Is there such a thing as WFB mosaic?
Pairing 2 mosaics together does not increase your chance of getting mosaic babies (much like you can still have a gray with 2 WF parents), you can have mosaic, wf mosaic if one/both are wf, and even just gray babies.. Mosaic is not like the leu gene where if both parents show the color, all joeys will be that color. There are wf mosaics wink

Quote:
And another - if the mother of the same pairing is from sterile lines, would all of the male offspring be possibly sterile? And all of the female offspring be possibly passing on the sterility?
In most cases yes to both parts of sterility wink

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: BeckiT] #775559
05/05/09 10:55 PM
05/05/09 10:55 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
Thanks Becki. I'm still waiting to find out how far back the sterility is in that female. I may end up just choosing a WFB with no mosaic just to stay away from having to deal with the whole sterility/possible sterility thing. In the mean time I thought I'd do my research.

Is this correct?: Pairing a mosaic with a WFB mosaic would yield mosaic babies 75% of the time, WFB babies 50% of the time, and normals around 25% of the time.

Misty

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775583
05/05/09 11:34 PM
05/05/09 11:34 PM
Homestead, FL
Adri Offline
Glider Guardian
Adri  Offline
Glider Guardian

Homestead, FL
Misty, I would save my money and purchase a glider that is from non sterile lines, with the economy the way it is there are deals out there. You just have to wait a little sometimes. I waited to get my Mo and I'm so glad I did!

Adri

Mother of 2
Adrian, Sofie
Slave to many glidin' gliders

www.sugarsensation.com

Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved.
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: Adri] #775604
05/05/09 11:53 PM
05/05/09 11:53 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
I just found out that the male white mosaic is 6 generations from the sterility and he's guaranteed to produce. I am strongly leaning toward NOT picking a WFB female that's from sterile lines though. Adri, I so should have bought your girls! I'm working with Priscilla on my options. She has a few other males I'm considering as well. The white mosaic is very pretty though.

Misty

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775610
05/05/09 11:58 PM
05/05/09 11:58 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
Misty, my mosaic-producing pair includes a grey male with mosaic lineage and a female with a tiny white spot on her nose. They produced a beautiful mosaic female a year ago who has lightened in color. They just had two girls, both mosaics/ringtails. Mosaics can be full of surprises.

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775613
05/05/09 11:59 PM
05/05/09 11:59 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Misty, who is this sterile line glider from?

Alicia aka Queenduck, Bentley's Nana

We need role models who are going to break the mold ~ Carly Simon
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: queenduck] #775631
05/06/09 12:20 AM
05/06/09 12:20 AM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
The white mosaic is from Priscilla & is out of New Kids (which doesn't have a whole lot of lineage) and Antoinette. She has him listed on her site as neutered but he's not neutered yet.

Like I said, we're looking at a few other options, but we really think this white mosaic is pretty and if Priscilla think he's ok to breed then I would trust her opinion. Ahhh decisions, decisions.

Misty

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775713
05/06/09 08:55 AM
05/06/09 08:55 AM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
She has always given me good breeding advice, so if she has some breeding contract/that he won't be sterile, then I'd go for it if that is the one you want. You will have to be careful what you breed a sterile glider to, and what you do with the joeys. If you go that route let me know and I'll tell you how I do it.

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: queenduck] #775718
05/06/09 09:06 AM
05/06/09 09:06 AM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
Thanks Alicia,

We're currently debating between these options:
-the white mosaic boy with sterilitly 6 gens back - he has limited lineage on one side that I think I have a question in to Priscilla about
-the cheaper mosaic boy with great lineage - his tail, legs, and patagia are white & he's very pretty
-possibly going a more expensive route & getting a gorgeous white mosaic male that she has - I have a question in to her about the lineage though because it's not super clear. Priscilla said that this boy's lineage is consistently throwing white mosaics & he should pay for himself quickly.

We're leaning toward not getting the female from sterile lines with the white feet.

We're looking at a WFB lion female. Has anyone paired a lion with a mosaic? Do you sometimes get lion-colored mosaic joeys? That might be interesting.

And we're trying to choose another WFB female for the trio. She doesn't have too many females to choose from right now, so our options are limited.

Our other concern is the possibility of having trouble selling the babies in this economy. I'm sure the economy will get better, but are you guys finding that it's getting harder to sell your joeys lately? Especially the pricier ones?

I can see it now....us ending up paying thousands of dollars for these little guys & then winding up with another cage full of non-breeding siblings. It'd sure be a pretty colony, but that's not the goal here....lol. I have to convince the hubby that we will at least make back what we pay for these guys.

Misty

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775792
05/06/09 11:59 AM
05/06/09 11:59 AM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Honestly, it is harder to sell right now. So don't count on anything. Just buy the glider you love, looks they way you want it to, that way if it never produces you have want you want. It is the only way to go.

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: queenduck] #775812
05/06/09 12:31 PM
05/06/09 12:31 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
Yeah...well obviously if I'm going to spend a large amount of money then I want one that I think is really pretty (and will be a nice pet as well)......but it's still hard to think about spending sooooooo much on a glider hoping he will produce and help pay for himself and then having that not happen. Although, Priscilla did kind of hint that if I were unhappy with what I got for some reason, she could work with me. But still....it's a huge expense.

I'm kind of debating now between the pretty white-tail or the pretty white-mosaic that's outrageously expensive.

I actually can't believe I'm even considering that...lol. Am I insane? I think I must have a really bad case of glideritis.

I'm hoping I could talk her down on the price some more on that white mosaic. I'm already essentially getting a free pair of females though if I do this, so I know it's probably a good deal.

Uggh. Decisions.

Misty

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775816
05/06/09 12:37 PM
05/06/09 12:37 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Quote:
Am I insane?

If you are just know that you are not alone. LOL

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: queenduck] #775829
05/06/09 01:05 PM
05/06/09 01:05 PM

M
mommabear82
Unregistered
mommabear82
Unregistered
M

My husband just gave me the okay to get a mosaic and I am having a hard time grasping the amount of money I am going to spend.

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: ] #775840
05/06/09 01:17 PM
05/06/09 01:17 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Crystal, depending on what you want the price ranges for junst under $1000 for a sterile mo male, neuted male, to thousands of $$ for a really white mosaic breedable male. So you have to think about what type of mosaic you want and if you plan on breeding it. Once you know that then you can start looking for your perfect baby.

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: queenduck] #775848
05/06/09 01:38 PM
05/06/09 01:38 PM

M
mommabear82
Unregistered
mommabear82
Unregistered
M

Yeah, I am putting a lot of thought on this subject. I know that the perfect baby will come it's just a matter of waiting. I have plenty of time and am still in shock that my husband said yes. I don't really like the white mosaics. I like some color. Lol.

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: ] #775858
05/06/09 02:02 PM
05/06/09 02:02 PM

A
ajvs
Unregistered
ajvs
Unregistered
A

Quote:
Yeah...well obviously if I'm going to spend a large amount of money then I want one that I think is really pretty (and will be a nice pet as well)......but it's still hard to think about spending sooooooo much on a glider hoping he will produce and help pay for himself and then having that not happen.

Lots of people spend thousands on animals as pets without expecting them to produce. For example, the first 4 or so generations of hybrid cat males can't produce and people buy them for a lot of money. My first serval I paid $3500 for and had him neutered. As far as gliders are concerned, I assisted a person who took in a glider, had to take it to a vet, well vet bills that cost me over $1500. The love of a glider is worth more than any monetary gain. I'm a little offended you would almost expect the glider to produce so you can "make back what you spent on him." If you have a child, I'm sure that child costs you much more than a glider, and he or she doesn't pay you back anything except love.

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: ] #775880
05/06/09 02:36 PM
05/06/09 02:36 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
I'm not here to run a baby factory. I would just be hoping to get a few pretty babies. Not because I don't love my gliders. And I wouldn't love them any less if they never had babies. It's not about monetary gain for me. However, my husband was laid off in November and money is tight. So if we're going to shell out thousands of dollars on something right now, it does have to be at least a little bit of an investment. If I wanted to just get another pet and not have it produce any babies, I would choose a much cheaper glider or get a rescue. That is a personal decision. I know that some people will pay a lot of money for a pet with a certain look or temperament. I understand that. But in all actuality with my current situation, it would be insane for me to plop $5,000 on a colony & not be at least a little disappointed if they didn't produce. My goal as a breeder is to breed responsibly, love my gliders as my pets, stop breeding if it becomes unhealthy for them, and find good homes for my babies. I'm not trying to make a large profit. I am only hoping to break even, so that I don't dig a financial hole for myself. I don't believe there is anything wrong with that or that I should have to defend myself in that. I also almost bought a serval several years ago and was not planning to breed. So I understand the concept of paying for something unique that you can love and enjoy. I'm just saying that with my current situation, and being such a small breeder, I have to be very wise about how I spend my money and which gliders I choose to adopt and breed. As a responsible breeder, I feel it is my duty to do my research & find out what I'm getting into. And that's why I posted this topic. I wanted to find out what the chances are with the different options I have. My goal in this thread is to learn more about the mosaics and also get a realistic grasp on whether or not I should get one as a breeder.

I'm also getting the feeling that many people are having trouble selling their mosaics. As a breeder, it is not my goal to contribute to overpopulation. So that's something I also have to consider.

Anyway, it's a simple fact...at this point in my life, it's not wise for me to get a mosaic that's not going to be breeding. Maybe later down the road I would consider getting a mosaic as a pet only, but currently I can't get one unless I'm hoping for him to breed and help recoup at least some of my funds.

Misty

Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775892
05/06/09 02:55 PM
05/06/09 02:55 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
If you're going to get a mosaic, get one from non-sterile lines.

I've spoken to my vet about it and she spoke with some other vets about it as well and they all said to NOT breed sterile lines, EVEN if they're producing intact males. Priscilla herself said that even if a male from sterile lines can produce, he and his offspring can still pop up sterile males so that line will NEVER be considered completely non-sterile.

Also, there have been males born without testes. I told my vet about that as well and got an extremely concerned look from her. :\ She said not to breed gliders from sterile lines because you could be breeding other health issues and not know it(til it's too late).

If a dog/cat breeder had an animal that was throwing sterile males they would never continue to breed that line. Should we glider breeders show that same kind of responsibility?

As you're saying about money, if you're going to be spending that much money on a glider to breed, then should you be getting the best glider you can for that amount of money?

As had already been said(on answer to your first question), gliders with only a teensie bit of white can throw almost all white babies, so looks doesn't matter when buying a breeding mosaic. What you need to look at is lineage. I'd recommend looking for a minimally-marked mosaic from non-sterile lines(NOT producing sterile lines, but NON-sterile). I've seen them sold for around $750-$1500.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: IowaMisty] #775894
05/06/09 02:58 PM
05/06/09 02:58 PM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
the thing though with mosaics- you never know what you'll get with the joeys. You can have a beautiful colored mosaic who throws normals all the time. Then there are some who throw mosaics every time- you just never know.You could just get greys and a wf here and there.

With your situation as you say- I think it's best going in with the thought of getting nothing in return for your purchase- because it's only an investment if you get something in return and that's not guaranteed with mosaics.

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: Guerita135] #775896
05/06/09 03:01 PM
05/06/09 03:01 PM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Originally Posted By: Guerita135
Priscilla herself said that even if a male from sterile lines can produce, he and his offspring can still pop up sterile males so that line will NEVER be considered completely non-sterile.

Funny a few people keep saying that- but I've not seen or heard Priscilla say that herself or Tyler confirm this is the case.

It would be great to hear that from Priscilla or Tyler confirm this is what Priscilla thinks or has seen happen.

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: jacknsally] #775907
05/06/09 03:15 PM
05/06/09 03:15 PM
Houston, Texas
gliderboy4life Offline
Glider Guardian
gliderboy4life  Offline
Glider Guardian

Houston, Texas
We had suspisions with a glider named Frisco. He was with 3 females and never produced. We tryed him with 2 other females and nothing. He was developed and we jumped to conclusions. Possibly with a single female he would have reproduced. We haven't seen any other circumstances where this has happened. Friscos brothers have been producing. He is now in a pet only home.

Tyler Cleckley
www.GliderBoyGliders.com
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: gliderboy4life] #775908
05/06/09 03:16 PM
05/06/09 03:16 PM
Houston, Texas
gliderboy4life Offline
Glider Guardian
gliderboy4life  Offline
Glider Guardian

Houston, Texas
We are also in the process of writing up an article for our websites that will also have a letter from our veterinarian regarding inbreeding/linebreeding/sterile lines.

Tyler Cleckley
www.GliderBoyGliders.com
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: jacknsally] #775917
05/06/09 03:29 PM
05/06/09 03:29 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
Originally Posted By: jacknsally
Originally Posted By: Guerita135
Priscilla herself said that even if a male from sterile lines can produce, he and his offspring can still pop up sterile males so that line will NEVER be considered completely non-sterile.

Funny a few people keep saying that- but I've not seen or heard Priscilla say that herself or Tyler confirm this is the case.

It would be great to hear that from Priscilla or Tyler confirm this is what Priscilla thinks or has seen happen.

A friend of mine had a female from a "producing sterile line" that was sold to her as non-sterile. When the time came for her to sell a mosaic joey from the female, she was told that the baby could still throw sterile joeys. Well, she contacted the breeder she got the female from AND Priscilla Price. Priscilla told her that it's true and that the female's joeys could still be sterile and so could their offspring.

I have the mosaic female that my friend bought and shortly after hearing about males born without testes I neutered her mate and retired them(as well as another pair from sterile lines).

I'm not making it up and it's not hear-say. My friend spoke directly with Priscilla and I will shoot her a link to here so maybe she'll post the info herself so you aren't hearing it second-hand.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Mosaic Question [Re: gliderboy4life] #775919
05/06/09 03:31 PM
05/06/09 03:31 PM
USA
I
IowaMisty Offline OP
Glider Guardian
IowaMisty  Offline OP
Glider Guardian
I

USA
Thanks everyone for your feedback so far. I hope I didn't sound like I was over-defending myself. I just don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong by doing my research & trying to make the best decision for my current scenario. I'm just trying to pick out a pretty glider to be my pet & who might give me some pretty babies & might somehow work into my ugly budget...lol. And it's so hard not to be in love with that beautiful white mosaic! *drooling*

I do like the idea of getting a cheaper mosaic with just a little bit of white, but Priscilla doesn't really have any cheaper males available with good lineage right now. And I'd like to buy from her if I can because I think I can get a good deal on a trio & I know she's reputable. Also, I still want a really pretty mosaic to keep (without having to keep one of the babies for myself). I did find another that's priced a little lower than the white tailed one I was looking at. I'm going to ask her for his lineage because it's not in the database. He has a pretty tail too.

Tyler, you wouldn't believe the # of questions I've been throwing at poor Priscilla!

Misty

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024