Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HR669 Bill information - Part 2 #790737
06/08/09 05:14 PM
06/08/09 05:14 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Read Part 1

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: HR669 Bill information - Part 2 [Re: sugarlope] #791580
06/10/09 12:24 AM
06/10/09 12:24 AM

M
MyKioshiBaby
Unregistered
MyKioshiBaby
Unregistered
M

I just sent a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG letter to rep. Bill Bilirakis. Hopefully he will listen or im not voting for him ever again.... >.> i am really starting to hate our government...more than ever now. >.<

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part 2 [Re: ] #814676
07/30/09 10:29 PM
07/30/09 10:29 PM
Mishicot, WI, USA
I
Incerta Offline
Glider Guardian
Incerta  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

Mishicot, WI, USA
So how's it going with this dumb bill? Anyone hear any updates?

~Jess Hart

(630) 338-9190
Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: Incerta] #819026
08/07/09 10:12 PM
08/07/09 10:12 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Below is the email I just recieved regarding HR669 we need to start sending emails and letters again.

Subject: Update - HR669 is still alive!

HR669 is still alive and has been introduced to the House of Representatives. This bill would outlaw countless "exotic animals" including birds, mammals, reptiles, and more that are non-native. Breeding, interstate transfer, and other parts of aviculture would be effectively eliminated. And now there are actual Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) representatives working on this bill. For those of you that don't know, the HSUS is an animal rights organization who wants all pet ownership to end and are not connected in any way to the local Humane Society in your neighborhood.

The full text of the bill is here: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-669

It is vital you CALL your representatives and educate them about this bill and its effects on aviculture and other animal hobbies. Have everyone you can CALL and tell your representatives to OPPOSE HR 669. Other officials have jumped on the bandwagon and have been using the pythons in Florida as a scare tactic. WE MUST CALL AND CONTINUE TO CALL AND MAKE OUR FEELINGS KNOWN! It is typical for representatives to set your mind at ease by telling you that "it's being worked on" or "there is no new information." But rest assured that they are indeed working on this and hoping enough time has passed for us to unaware of its status.

This is a federal bill and will affect all of the United States and its territories. You can easily get your representative's contact info by going to https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml and entering your ZIP code. It is vital you CALL and explain this to the representative and their staff.

TASC has representatives attending the American Federation of Aviculture's annual convention this week and we will return with updates as they become available.

Thanks for your continued support on behalf of our birds,
Jason J. Crean
President
The Avicultural Society of Chicagoland
www.tasc-chicago.org
Home of the Midwest Bird Expo, coming Spring 2010!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: Feather] #820648
08/11/09 09:32 AM
08/11/09 09:32 AM

E
Enoli
Unregistered
Enoli
Unregistered
E

Dont they have better things to worry about then what pets we own. Like our money crisis for one?

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: ] #820662
08/11/09 10:17 AM
08/11/09 10:17 AM
Illinois
Y
Yaniah Offline
Glider Guardian
Yaniah  Offline
Glider Guardian
Y

Illinois
Why not instead of banning them, why not make it so the person as to be registered to buy the animal? If it is an exotic animal, Chinchilla, Sugar Glider, Kinkajou, Python, ect. before they can be purchased, why not juyst make it a requirement that the peron buying has to be USDA Licensed? This way they DO have to go through the paperwork, they DO have to go through inspections, and why not require them to do some studying on the species that they are interested in purchasing and caring for?

This would help a lot with the impulse buyers, and even with the suggies, being bought and sold at these trade shows and what not. This would potentially save a lot of animals being handed over to a rescue, or let loose in the wild, because then they will require them to do their research and have knowledgeable info on the species. Not something that can just sit in a cage all say and take care of it self.

Besides, so are they trying to make it so you can't own anything other then cats and dogs? Some people are just not cats and dog kind of people. Hampsters...REALLY..I never thought they would be considered exotic. Besides a fish, that is what a majority of people purchase for their children as their 'own first pet'.

~~Yaniah~~

Now that all my children are older ( I had my own liter, literately) I am getting back into gliders again.
Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: Yaniah] #820674
08/11/09 11:19 AM
08/11/09 11:19 AM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

My question is, what happens to the people that already have these "exotic pets"? They will have to kill me before they take my babies.

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: ] #820707
08/11/09 12:54 PM
08/11/09 12:54 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
They will not be taking our pets away from us, but we will no longer be able to buy them, breed them, if we move across state lines they can't go with us and we can't sell them or give them to someone so they would have to be euthanized if you move out of state.

We need to write letters to our representatives urging them to ban this bill.

This bill will also hurt the economy, pet stores will feel it in their pockets, they will lay people off and there will be more people out there with no jobs.

The only thing this bill offers is a domino affect to further hurt the economy.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: Feather] #820714
08/11/09 01:16 PM
08/11/09 01:16 PM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
Okay- before everyone gets all in an uproar again... let me point out that NO ONE has put or offerred to pu chinchillas, hedgehogs, sugar gliders, or ANYTHING we commonly see as an "exotic pet" on the LIST that HR669 proposes...

This is taken DIRECTLY from HR669:

NONNATIVE WILDLIFE SPECIES- The term ‘nonnative wildlife species’--
(A) except as provided in subparagraph (C), means any live species or subspecies of animal that is not a native species or subspecies, whether or not born or raised in captivity;
(B) except as provided in subparagraph (C), includes--
(i) any such live, wild species or subspecies of mammal, bird, fish, reptile, amphibian, insect, mollusk, crustacean, arthropod, coelenterate, or other invertebrate, and
(ii) any viable egg, sperm, gamete, or other reproductive material or offspring thereof;
(C) does not include any species that is--
(i) specifically defined or regulated as a plant pest or approved for biological control purposes under the Plant Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 7701 et seq.); or
(ii) defined or regulated as a threat to livestock or poultry under the Animal Health Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 8301 et seq.); and
(D) does not include any cat (Felis catus), cattle or oxen (Bos taurus), chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus), dog (Canis lupus familiaris), donkey or [censored] (Equus asinus), domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese), duck (domesticated Anas spp.), goat (Capra aegagrus hircus), goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus), horse (Equus caballus), llama (Lama glama), mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus), pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica), domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), or sheep (Ovis aries), or any other species or variety of species that is determined by the Secretary to be common and clearly domesticated.

This is from HR669 as well:

(a) Prohibitions- Except as provided in this section or in section 7, it is unlawful for any person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States to--
(1) import into or export from the United States any nonnative wildlife species that is not included in the list of approved species issued under section 4;
(2) transport between any State by any means whatsoever any nonnative wildlife species that is not included in the list of approved species issued under section 4;
(3) violate any term or condition of a permit issued under section 7;
(4) possess (except as provided in section 3(f)), sell or offer to sell, purchase or offer to purchase, or barter for or offer to barter for, any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1);
(5) release into the wild any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1); or
(6) breed any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1), or provide any such species to another person for breeding purposes.

(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall publish in the Federal Register a list of nonnative wildlife species that are prohibited from importation into the United States except as provided in section 7.
(2) INCLUDED SPECIES- The list under this subsection shall include--
(A) those species listed as injurious wildlife under section 42 of title 18, United States Code, or under regulations under that section, as of the date of enactment of this Act; and
(B) any other species the Secretary determines under section 4(c)(2)(B) is not approved for importation.
(b) Proposal for Inclusion on the List of Unapproved Species-
(1) PROPOSAL-
(A) IN GENERAL- Any person may submit to the Secretary a proposal to add to the list under this section any nonnative wildlife species.
(B) INFORMATION REQUIRED- Any proposal under this subsection must include sufficient scientific and commercial information to allow the Secretary to evaluate whether the proposed nonnative wildlife species is likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to other animal species’ or human health.

(AND I DON'T THINK ANYONE IS GOING TO SUGGEST SUCH IS THE CASE WITH SUGAR GLIDERS, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD)

Furthermore... section 42 of title 18, United States Code:

The importation into the United States, any territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any possession of the United States, or any shipment between the continental United States, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any possession of the United States, of the mongoose of the species Herpestes auropunctatus; of the species of so-called “flying foxes” or fruit bats of the genus Pteropus; of the zebra mussel of the species Dreissena polymorpha; and such other species of wild mammals, wild birds, fish (including mollusks and crustacea), amphibians, reptiles, brown tree snakes, or the offspring or eggs of any of the foregoing which the Secretary of the Interior may prescribe by regulation to be injurious to human beings, to the interests of agriculture, horticulture, forestry, or to wildlife or the wildlife resources of the United States, is hereby prohibited. All such prohibited mammals, birds, fish (including mollusks and crustacea), amphibians, and reptiles, and the eggs or offspring therefrom, shall be promptly exported or destroyed at the expense of the importer or consignee.

(AND I DON'T SEE THEM LISTED HERE EITHER)

Don't get me wrong- I am all for writing to your representatives... I just don't want anyone to erroneously assume that gliders are on this proposal, because they are NOT. Therefore, they are NOT suggesting that GLIDERS will no longer be able to be SOLD, TRANSFERRED, MOVED FROM STATE TO STATE, or ANYTHING ELSE.

They mention SPECIFIC species and ANYONE can SUGGEST a species to add tot he list BUT it must be PROVEN that the proposed species WOULD or WILL or HAS caused DIRECT HARM to the U.S. or it's CITIZENS before a species can be added to the list.

Last edited by LabNGliderMom; 08/11/09 01:20 PM.

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: LabNGliderMom] #820727
08/11/09 01:52 PM
08/11/09 01:52 PM

P
Paige
Unregistered
Paige
Unregistered
P

Thank you for sharing all this info with us. I will be keeping it in mind and try to help where I can. This is good info. though.

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: ] #820731
08/11/09 01:57 PM
08/11/09 01:57 PM
United States
SugarShock Offline
Glider Explorer
SugarShock  Offline
Glider Explorer

United States
I sent a long letter to our Florida representative, I hope that will help it least a bit, we CANNOT let this bill pass! =) All Glider lovers, and exotic lovers must unite and bring it down! LOL, Ok, THAT was corny.

~Lauren Elizabeth, Mommy To 15 Of The Sweetest Sugar Gliders!~
Aussie, Candy, Gizmo, Scooter, Stella Luna :wfb:
Ceasar, Bindi, Juliet, Romeo, Sadie, Sheila :grey:
Bandit, Houdini :bb: , Rowan, Willow :leu:
Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: SugarShock] #820747
08/11/09 02:33 PM
08/11/09 02:33 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

It sucks though because sugar gliders are already illegal in some areas, there is obviously a reason for that?

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: SugarShock] #820750
08/11/09 02:38 PM
08/11/09 02:38 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Quote:
Don't get me wrong- I am all for writing to your representatives... I just don't want anyone to erroneously assume that gliders are on this proposal, because they are NOT. Therefore, they are NOT suggesting that GLIDERS will no longer be able to be SOLD, TRANSFERRED, MOVED FROM STATE TO STATE, or ANYTHING ELSE.

I receive all of my updates from the parrot clubs of which I am a member and or board of director. If they are concerned about the ramification of this bill then we should be concerned. Parrots have been pets a lot longer than sugar gliders have been.

Quote:
(a) In General- The Secretary of the Interior, acting through the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, shall promulgate regulations that establish a process for assessing the risk of all nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation into the United States, other than nonnative wildlife species that are included in the list of approved species issued under section 4.

Nonnative wild life species must go through a risk assessment process to get on the approved list.

Quote:
4. LIST OF APPROVED SPECIES.

(a) Requirement To Issue List of Approved Species-

(1) IN GENERAL- Not later than 36 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall publish in the Federal Register a list of nonnative wildlife species approved for importation into the United States.

Why can't they make a preliminary list available to the public before they make this a law. I for one would like to see what they consider approved and unapproved.

This law is to broad as it is written and it needs revisions. If we sit back and do nothing they will slip this bill into law right under our noses then we will have to petition to have our pets access for approval. I for one would be happier if there was already a preliminary list of approved species.

I feel this bill is aimed at the people who are getting and releasing pets into the Everglades in Florida, those pets are now growing and reproducing rapidly and are killing pets and people.

If this is what this law is to regulate then there is no reason that they can't have preliminary approved and non approved lists available before they vote on this bill.

Kimberley

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: Feather] #820790
08/11/09 04:12 PM
08/11/09 04:12 PM
Kenosha,WI
J
jen102375 Offline
Glider Lover
jen102375  Offline
Glider Lover
J

Kenosha,WI
I agree with Kim. If this does get passed it could just be the begining. There are allot of people on here with other exotic animals that this bill will effect, And I feel that we are a family here and that we should stick together. Sugar gliders may not be on the list now but if this gets passed who's to say they wont try to outlaw or regulate them or other animals in the future. I think keeping calm and talking to our state reps is a good start.

Slave 2
Hubby Jon
3 daughters Ellivia(13)Hanna(10)Alayna(6)
6 Suggies: Harley/Abby, Pongo/Pracilla, Cash/Charity
4 wonderful Rescues

Jen
262 748-4128 24hr help
www.thegliderboutique.com

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEY'S (THANK YOU) smile

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: jen102375] #820843
08/11/09 05:41 PM
08/11/09 05:41 PM

A
Aleera
Unregistered
Aleera
Unregistered
A

Yaniah you are completely right. I think if those types of requirements were put in place the sugar glider community would be much better off.

"Dont they have better things to worry about then what pets we own. Like our money crisis for one?" -Enoli

Since when do lawmakers focus on what is important? It is usually the "noisy" people who manage to get their bills in, not always those with important bills. The HSUS probably causes enough of a ruckus that people just want to shut them up by listening to the bill. It is not a good thing but it happens. The HSUS is probably very persistent so... their bill gets into congress. Is it a waste of time? Undoubtedly. The national government has bigger fish to fry, this type of bill should be at the state level at the most.

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: jen102375] #820891
08/11/09 07:10 PM
08/11/09 07:10 PM
Red Oak Texas
anjill_tree Offline
Glider Guardian
anjill_tree  Offline
Glider Guardian

Red Oak Texas
http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bi...sources_insular

This is one of the committees.
I have E-mailed
And will call also.

I e-mailed this memo so far.

HR669

Please vote NO on this bill. How could you even think of the destruction of these animals, because they would be “ nonnative”. How many owners will do what you are trying to stop. ( letting them go into the wild) WOULD YOU WANT TO KILL OR LOSE WHAT YOU LOVE? Many Owners have had these animals for years, and are bonded to them just like a dog or cat. Even dogs and cats can “cause injury to human beings.

The list of unapproved species is very vague. There are thousands of species. You do not have them listed, nor do you have approved list. This has caused a great uproar in the exotic animal world.
Sec 8 Says it all ( a fee? ) Is that what is needed ? Money?
Sec 3015 of title 39 is too vague. This is absolutely inappropriate, how can you pass a bill that says nothing clearly. What animals are on the approved list( what breed? ) Modify as you go, after the bill passes? What kind of government is this?

Asssessment? You will not have the time to assess all that will be coming at you. No way is there enough man power for such an idea. Government offices are already poorly employeed

You want to add a bill that should be handled by Each State?

I will make sure that whoever has voted on this bill, will be remembered ( not to vote for next election.)

I feel this America has much bigger issues.

Cathy Hart
Sugar Glider breeder and owner of other exotics.

Cathy Hart

Support Aspergers and Autism Research, help put the pieces together.
www.hartlandsugargliders.com
cathyhart2texas@yahoo.com
469-964-4152
Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: anjill_tree] #821088
08/12/09 09:35 AM
08/12/09 09:35 AM
Red Oak Texas
anjill_tree Offline
Glider Guardian
anjill_tree  Offline
Glider Guardian

Red Oak Texas
I am begging you to read and help save lives of countless animals, plus the economic destruction of the pet industry.
Federal Law is trying to make a bill, that all nonnative animals will be illegal to own. This includes snakes, birds mammals hamsters, etc. You can not transport them across state lines either. You can not give them away. Only alternative is Euthanize(kill) them or let them go into the wild, which is what the bill is supposed to stop. People that have owned these pets for years and are bonded to them will have to destroy them. Pressure from PETA and HSUS have pressured for this bill. These are groups that terrorize other people/groups/breeders/companys to make a statement. PETA and HSUS condones killing all these animals for their own law? They break the law to make a law. Please read the information, e-mail all that support this bill and tell them you do not want this bill. Make phone calls, do everything you can to stop this bill.

www.stop669.org/
http://www.pijac.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=504
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/
http://www.peta.org/ Tell them what you think about their tactics and this outrageous bill.
http://www.hsus.org/ Tell them what you think about this law

Each Moment Matters

Cathy Hart

469-964-4152
Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: anjill_tree] #821104
08/12/09 10:23 AM
08/12/09 10:23 AM

S
suggaz_shockerz0
Unregistered
suggaz_shockerz0
Unregistered
S

I plan on signing filling it out today

Re: HR669 Bill information - Part [Re: ] #821196
08/12/09 02:43 PM
08/12/09 02:43 PM
Red Oak Texas
anjill_tree Offline
Glider Guardian
anjill_tree  Offline
Glider Guardian

Red Oak Texas
On the HSUS site, teh bill is up now, if I read this right. Can someone check their site and see if I am reading this right.

Cathy Hart

469-964-4152

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (KarenE), 341 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,571 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,155 OKLAHOMA
432,159 UTAH
321,680 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024