Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? #864532
11/10/09 09:41 AM
11/10/09 09:41 AM
Michigan
S
sugeebaby Offline OP
Glider Slave
sugeebaby  Offline OP
Glider Slave
S

Michigan
I think people tend to not be able to distinguish between what is a rescue and what is a rehome. I would like your thoughts as to what classifies a glider to be a rescue or a rehome.
I say if someone contacts you and no longer can take care of or wants their glider that is a rehome.
If a glider is living in bad conditions or being neglected even if you have to pay money for it that is a rescue.
I have had many gliders come through my place and I have called them rescues but I really don't think they were rescues as they were rehomes. I never paid for them and all but one was not living in horrible conditions. Their owners just didn't want them or didn't have time to take care of them.
I think we need to stop throwing the word rescue out there when it really might just be a rehome.

Karen
President of The Glider Initiative
:bb: The Glider Crue :grey:

The Pampered Glider

The Glider Initiative
Have you educated someone today?

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: sugeebaby] #864541
11/10/09 09:59 AM
11/10/09 09:59 AM
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Orlando, FL
I think a rehome has one owner who could no longer take care of them and has to give them up.

A rescue has been in a bad situation and/or has had several homes.

IMO

TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)

www.fancysuggies.com
Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: sugeebaby] #864548
11/10/09 10:10 AM
11/10/09 10:10 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
This very topic came up on another board two days ago. I guess it is a hot topic now.

Here is my take on it:

A rescue has to be taken in due to a crisis situation - doesn't matter if the surrendering owner knows it is a crisis or doesn't recognize/know that their gliders are in crisis. The later is how we find rehomes that are actually rescues. You get the call to pick up some "rehome" gliders, only to get them and find that they are sick, malnourished, injured, or otherwise in crisis.
Crisis situations include being unable to provide necessities for them any more (even if they were once very well cared for). If a GREAT owner who is single and living thousands of miles from any family is in terrible accident leaving them barely scraping by and unable to feed their gliders any more, then I would call that a rescue situation. Sometimes, the crisis rises from an otherwise great situation, and other times it is the cumulative effect of a lot of terrible habits and choices. Either way, if the glider or family of gliders has to be taken from a crisis situation in order to avoid things getting even worse for them, then I consider that a rescue. Crisis situations for gliders also include being placed in several different homes within a short period of time.

Age & temperment do not determine "rescue."

If someone finds themselves at a turning point in life due to school, divorce, new baby, loss of interest, loss of job, etc. and feels rehoming their gliders is best for their family, but can provide adequately for them until a home is found, then that is a rehome. They don't have to have been doing everything perfectly, but if the gliders were loved, well fed (even if not a recommended diet) and provided enrichment, then they would not be considered rescues to me as they are not in crisis. Even if the owner willingly places the gliders in a rescue home, they are still rehomed gliders. I have two rehomes up for adoption right now. They do come through rescue homes from time to time due to unusual circumstances.

Last edited by Jackie_Chans_Mom; 11/10/09 10:12 AM.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: sugeebaby] #864554
11/10/09 10:21 AM
11/10/09 10:21 AM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

well karen, feeling froggy this morning? so lets jump...

the rehome word only came up years ago, when someone wanted to breed a glider that was rehomed? rescues are rehomed.

Nationwide there are animal rescue homes, organizations etc..

ANY animal that reaches their facility, regardless of why it relinquished, is considered a rescue, the males are generally neutered, and the females generally spade, the separation between the wording of rehome and rescue should have a reason for that.

I don't have a rehome facility, I have a rescue home, some come in just because, some come in with serious issues, some come in neglected. but no matter what it doesn't change what I do, or what I consider them, the males are still neutered, I still take great care to see they don't get bred, I still take great care to see they are in a great home.

now here is where the question lays....

what should the breeder gliders be referred as? as they are commonly moved either by the breeder (which most do a non breeding/ pet only contract with them) or private owners who have to give up their babies for one reason or another.

A great example is this recent breeder who feels she must sell all of her gliders, which are papered, colored breeders with linage. are they rescues or rehomes?

Does the change of name make them breedable? Will it make it so we can discuss them, move them here at GC? Will it open or close any doors to getting any help?

personally I see more of an issue once the "rescues or rehomes" are move to their forever home, as to how they are referred to.

a glider comes to me to be moved forward, once passed to me.. I consider it a rescue, nothing more, nothing less. all rules apply regardless of the reason. Once they get placed. they then become their "pet" that they had "rescued" but still adopted as a pet, they should never be bred, or sold.

We as rescue homes, try very hard to help those gliders, not only when they are here, but also shortly after the transfer, to help the transition smoother for the GLIDER.

lets take Dee's Girl as a great example, she was placed in a non breeding situation. while here, she was "GIVEN" items that I had here, (if she were a male, she would have been neutered) she went to Dee, now for a reasonable time, I would help DG, if needed, special pouches carrying products etc.. would Dee be eligible for help for rescues.. per sae..
hmmm, That is yet the other controversy.

Jackie Chan is one of those gliders that fall into those controversial lines. Val got him as a rescue, but she adopted him, therefore he is her "pet" that she had "rescued", would he be breedable? NO, would he be eligible for the various help available to rescues? debatable. There are always going to be people who takes other peoples gliders under wing, and helps them out. It isn't wrong for them to do that. As long as they know they are helping with her pet. Jackie Chan is a lucky young man that Val had adopted him. He has a vast community that cares very much about him. but in my eyes.. was he rescued? Yes..is he a rescue? NO, he is a pet she got with some serious issues.

we have others that take the rescues in under the guise of a rescue home, and have no intention of moving them forward, are they truly rescues at that point? no , when a decision is made not to move the gliders forward, then they become their pets.

I have JoeyJoe, who I got in as a joey in the pouch from a rescue, we neutered him as a rescue and later, we chose to keep him, and now is a pet, a pet that came from a rescue.

people ask how many gliders I have, I tell them, these are my personal, these are my rescues. the rescues are the ones whom I will place to another home.

lets see, 7 gliders - 6 are rehomes they went from breeders to me.. 1 was born a rescue... I have 7 gliders in a non breeding situation
I have 3 rescues available for a new home.

hmmmm the truth is I have 7 PET gliders, 3 rescues.

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #864555
11/10/09 10:32 AM
11/10/09 10:32 AM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Originally Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom
This very topic came up on another board two days ago. I guess it is a hot topic now.

Must always be a hot topic, it comes up every few months.

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: jacknsally] #864570
11/10/09 11:07 AM
11/10/09 11:07 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Seems that most of us who are recognized as rescue homes have the same thoughts on the matter. I, too, make a distinction in my home between my personal pets and rescues available for adoption. MOST of my personal pets came in as rescues in crisis, many of them have chronic illnesses/issues and some of them I just fell in love with.

Quote:
when a decision is made not to move the gliders forward, then they become their pets.
I agree. If a person is willing to take in gliders, but is not finding them new homes, then to ME, that is not a rescue home. It is a kind person with a great heart, but not a rescue home.

I answer the same way as B when I am asked how many gliders I have - I have _____ that are my family members and staying here forever and I have ______ cages of gliders seeking forever homes.

Still, there remain a few gliders in my home that I would like to find homes for, but they are not adoptable (by the standards set for MY rescue home) at this time. I consider them rescues, even though they will likely be here for a long time while their "issues" are addressed OR until a home comes along that desires to work with their particular issues.

I will not even begin to address the issue of which glider is available for assistance from which program. If a program clearly outlines the criteria for which they will provide assistance, then it is not an issue for debate. For ME, this particular controversy is one best handled by asking the program creators to be more clear in outlining their criteria for assistance. Regardless, if a program decides to assist a glider - for any reason - then I applaud them for being so generous and will not try to insert MY thoughts about it. I can just as easily start my own program if I don't like how someone else runs theirs. I happen to be a fan of most of the assistance programs out there right now.

Quote:
I don't have a rehome facility, I have a rescue home, some come in just because, some come in with serious issues, some come in neglected. but no matter what it doesn't change what I do, or what I consider them, the males are still neutered, I still take great care to see they don't get bred, I still take great care to see they are in a great home.
Exactly!

Last edited by Jackie_Chans_Mom; 11/10/09 11:09 AM.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #864579
11/10/09 11:52 AM
11/10/09 11:52 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Here is the simplistic breakdown:

Rescues are looking for a forever home.

Once a glider finds a forever home (no matter where it came from), it is a pet.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #864581
11/10/09 12:08 PM
11/10/09 12:08 PM
In paradise
hpyhwn2003 Offline
Glider Addict
hpyhwn2003  Offline
Glider Addict

In paradise
i agree with the general thought. A rescue was in a bad situation. Medical issues may be abundant. A rehome was given up by their owner. No real meedical issues. At least that's how I term it. But Bourbon is right in stating that no matter what we call them they are in need of a home, so we are in fact rescuing them from being homeless.

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: hpyhwn2003] #864619
11/10/09 01:44 PM
11/10/09 01:44 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
I have some gliders that are now with me in a forever home, but they came to me by different circumstances. One pair, the original owner "had no more use for them"! as they only wanted a female joey and that had been produced. I bought them only to find out they had another ip. Big Daddy has since been neutered and I have Mom & the female here as well. I considered that I was rescuing them from a not so great home, but in all actuality, they are re-homes. I would say that if gliders are being neglected, abused or taken by animal control, they are rescues. If someone is just tired of them or no longer able to care for them, even if they don't provide the care that you think is good, they would be considered re-homes. Of course this is just my opnion.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: hpyhwn2003] #864631
11/10/09 02:19 PM
11/10/09 02:19 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I was asked to define what is a rescue and what is a rehome on the All4Gliders Rescue Project. While the defination is somewhat easy to come up with, determining where a glider falls in that defination is not always easy.

A rescued glider is any glider who has been surrendered, abused, neglected, abandoned, kept in poor conditions/inadequate housing, fed improperly, over bred, inbred, or one that has been passed from home to home to home OR any glider who without intervention will be subjected to any of those situations. They may be ill, injured, bad tempered or sweet hearts. They are not generally "retired breeders that the breeding home just wants to "get rid of" to make room for new "stock". (though sadly, many of these do become or actually are rescues)

I have 34 PETS in my home. Some used to be rescues but for one reason or another, I choose to keep them. They are MY babies. Billy and Sam were rescued by Jen Bailey from some of the worst conditions posible. They were so malnurished that even after she "fattened them up", they still came to me so tiny. It has taken years to get them healthy. They are MY boys and will stay here with me. They used to be rescues, they are now my pets.

A "rehome" is a glider that has been well cared for but for whatever reason, their owner no longer can care for them and needs to find a new home for the glider/s.

To me, if a glider is received from the breeder's home, (whether bought or was a gift, had nothing to do with money) and has lived in one home for say 3 years, well cared for, loved, etc but then has to be moved to a new home, it is a rehomed glider. If after another bit of time it has to be moved yet again, it is a rescue even if it has been well cared for and loved. Gliders should not be passed from home to home to home.

I view ALL rehomes as NON BREEDING, same as ALL rescues. Whether rehomes or rescues or pets, they should all be given the same level of care and love as Pets even if only in a "rescue home" for 3 days before going onto their new home.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Dancing] #864642
11/10/09 02:32 PM
11/10/09 02:32 PM
Phoenix AZ
C
chattrbabe Offline
Glider Addict
chattrbabe  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Phoenix AZ
This is a good topic. agree

Ash
Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Dancing] #864644
11/10/09 02:34 PM
11/10/09 02:34 PM

T
TWilson
Unregistered
TWilson
Unregistered
T

I know how I feel about this but would like others thoughts on this.....

Lets say a breeder sells a joey with lineage to someone and they intend on breeding this glider and pair him up with a mate. The buyer has a less than stellar reputation but that isn't found out until later and the breeder wants the glider back.

The breeder is fortunate and is able to get the glider back but doesn't get its mate. The breeder then places him with another female and breeds this glider.

What would this glider be regarded as? Rescue, rehome? And should that glider be breeding?

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: chattrbabe] #864645
11/10/09 02:37 PM
11/10/09 02:37 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I want to add on here...

With rehome situations, it is more often kinder to the glider to NOT take them in as a temporary "rescue waiting on a new home" but to leave him where he is while a new home is found. That way the glider is only moved once, not multiple times.

If contacted by someone needing to place their glider/s, I ask if they can continue to care for the glider/s until a home is found. If it is not an "urgent" (or critical case) then it is less stressful for the glider to stay where he/she is until the new home is found.

If the person surrendering their glider KNOWS the glider is ill, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask them to make a contribution to the vet care that the glider will need. Even if they can't help much, they do have a responsibility to that glider.

I also think it is reasonable to ask adopting homes to contribute to or pay for the cost of neutering the males.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Dancing] #864650
11/10/09 02:41 PM
11/10/09 02:41 PM

A
Ali
Unregistered
Ali
Unregistered
A

I've been reading these posts and I have a question - why is it that rescues and rehomes should not breed? Is something wrong with them?

I have two girls and don't plan on breeding, I was just wondering that as I read. Thanks!

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: ] #864654
11/10/09 02:46 PM
11/10/09 02:46 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
Is something wrong with them?

There could be...

Rescues should not be bred because of their unknown history and unknown family tree. Usually not much is known about rescues medical history or if they are related or not. Inbreeding should be avoided as the chances of genetic issues increases.

Rescues and Rehomes (ALL GLIDERS) should be loved for who they are, not what they might produce. Because gliders are sensitive emotional animals (as evidenced by depression, over grooming, self mutilation, etc), it is understood by responsible pet owners that rescues and rehomes have "been through enough" and should just live out their lives as pampered pets.

620-704-9109

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Dancing] #864656
11/10/09 02:49 PM
11/10/09 02:49 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Also, all gliders coming from Perfect Pocket Pets or other type flea markets, trade shows, pet stores etc, even bought as joeys, should be considered rescues and kept as non breeding gliders.

620-704-9109

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Dancing] #864660
11/10/09 02:51 PM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
Excellent questions, Tammy- but not the ones I want to address... I hope that question DOES get addressed here, though smile

What I want to say is based on this:

Originally Posted By: Dancing
I was asked to define what is a rescue and what is a rehome on the All4Gliders Rescue Project. While the defination is somewhat easy to come up with, determining where a glider falls in that defination is not always easy.

A rescued glider is any glider who has been surrendered, abused, neglected, abandoned, kept in poor conditions/inadequate housing, fed improperly, over bred, inbred, or one that has been passed from home to home to home OR any glider who without intervention will be subjected to any of those situations. They may be ill, injured, bad tempered or sweet hearts. They are not generally "retired breeders that the breeding home just wants to "get rid of" to make room for new "stock". (though sadly, many of these do become or actually are rescues)

The red highlights cover a key area- a person may LOVE their gliders and provide a good diet and enrichment but STILL fall on hard times and want or NEED to get their gliders to another home... if by definition this makes them REHOMES and not RESCUES then what happens when these well-cared for gldiers' owners feel they cannot rehome them fast enough and the gliders are in danger of being abandoned, let loose into the wild, or surrendered to an animal shelter that will likely euthanize them?

I agree that poorly treated, improperly fed or housed and abused or neglected gliders are RESCUES... but a glider faces danger and an uncertain future the very MOMENT a "good" owner even CONSIDERS "re-homing" them... so are these gliders then rescues? And if so, is there any such thing as a "re-home" since an owner needing to remove gldiers from their home COULD conceivably be placing those gliders in some sort of jeopardy?

We might as well be trying to answer "Which came first?"

The glider or the pouch?

The chicken or the egg?

It's a tough question to answer. Perhaps all gliders moved from one non-breeer owner to another owner might have to be termed RESCUES because they COULD face an uncertain future that MIGHT include abuse, neglect, abandonment, etc... but a breeder choosing to GIVE AWAY a joey they COULD have SOLD to someone "just because" with no "need" behind it is a RE-HOME.

Just my opinion, of course wink

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Dancing] #864661

A
Ali
Unregistered
Ali
Unregistered
A

That makes sense, thanks for the answer Teresa!

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: ] #864804
11/10/09 07:55 PM
11/10/09 07:55 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Originally Posted By:Jackie_Chans_Mom

Quote:

I will not even begin to address the issue of which glider is available for assistance from which program. If a program clearly outlines the criteria for which they will provide assistance, then it is not an issue for debate.

I think this is where a big problem is, first off, there is conflicts within the rescue community as to rescues and rehomes, to me "rehomes" don't even exist.. they are either personal pets or rescues. when someone starts a project of assistance, they sit down and create a list of their criteria, and obviously many have slid through that criteria, but each project needs to be very explicit as to exactly what gliders they are going to help with their assistance. example..

The SRR, primary goal was to neuter rescues in rescue homes, they had to decide within their own project as to what constituted a rescue. they turned away people who claimed they had rescues, and needed them neutered, they had to turn away gliders that needed neutered, that were personal pets. but they did it based on their own criteria. And of course there were people out there that didn't agree with their decisions, but it was their criteria.. a criteria that was subject to change when they felt it was necessary, (example someone claiming to be a rescue home but really wasn't, but they had rescues.

there will always be someone sliding through , collecting the assistance that is not due them, there will never be a way to stop someone from manipulating it. and it is always a tough job at the decision table.

so where to start....

well set the basic criteria first.. what is a rescue, when does a rescue stop being a rescue and start becoming a pet? whose responsibility is it to make that decision and what is that decision based on. define rehome, either it is a rescue or a breedable pet. Is all the current scenarios covered, to create the criteria for the project to begin with? are there exclusions??

Lets take the TGI neuter fund, the staff of gc helps with the rescues on a personal level, GC as an entity doesn't, so if the neuter fund, aids rescues, will they still be supportive? I don't know, but what I do know, is if they won't because of the rescues, maybe putting us rescue homes on an exclusion list would be in the best interest of the fund. I personally would not have a problem with that, nor would about 5 other homes I associate myself with. We had the SRR helping us and not the pets, so now it is time for the pets to get the assistance.. (just my opinion.)

but outside of the various forms of assistance, what exactly is the need for the various labels?
examples:

1.there was an issue with gliderma and her joeys, and that would be a great area to start in.

she bought a pair of glider to get them out of a bad situation, she considered them rescues, but she bought and paid for them, those gliders HAD joeys in the pouch, the father needed neutered... she thought she would sell the joeys to pay for the neuter.

okay so define what we have here,

2. Glider owned by owner for 2 years, good diet, great care glider gets sold to someone else, is that glider still breedable? is it a rehome? a rescue?

3.Colored Glider with linage owned by owner for 3 years, who only had 2 litters, good diet, great care glider gets sold to someone else, is that glider still breedable? is it a rehome? a rescue?

4. owner gets glider from friend, who got it from breeder, great care, and good diet, is that glider breedable? is it a rehome , or a rescue.

I personally handle rehomes as rescues, but based on each persons, situation, they can label them as needed to fit what is in their best interest.

I had a hard time at first with GC not doing anything regarding rescues after all they are not a rescue board, but I have come to accept, that is just the way it is. So I and several other rescue homes, have our own resources, either we care for the gliders ourselves financially, or we have our private sector that helps us when we need it.

The SRR and the adopt a suggie programs, were the last public assistance programs that were available for us rescue homes, since then, we have to count on our own networking resources. so to us, the labels mean nothing to us, we still believe that a glider that is rehomed with us, is still a rescue, IF they never leave our home, they then become our pets, the rescues still get the help they need,

To me, I will support whatever will benefit the most gliders in the long run. but adding more labels and setting rules for people who buy and pay for their gliders, I think is getting too deep into their personal business. (I am sure this will be the start of a new topic)

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Bourbon] #864820
11/10/09 08:37 PM
11/10/09 08:37 PM

N
Ninja_Jack
Unregistered
Ninja_Jack
Unregistered
N

I kinda feel like Im somewhat included in this. i just filled out an app and put my neuter need down as rescues, which I consider them.

I consider a rescue anything that needs help, whether it be vet assistance, love, food, shelter, ect. I consider a rehome someone who is profiting from selling them..maybe not from the initial investment but they are selling them nonetheless. This meaning, they are not a breeder as they no longer care to own gliders, just want whomever will pay the highest $.

Again, I am no expert, just someone who took in 5 gliders and loves them all regardless of their stereotyping.

Last edited by Ninja_Jack; 11/10/09 08:49 PM.
Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: ] #864858
11/10/09 10:09 PM
11/10/09 10:09 PM
Fort Wayne, Indiana
tlkngfethrs1 Offline
Glider Lover
tlkngfethrs1  Offline
Glider Lover

Fort Wayne, Indiana
ok, so I would fall under "I am the re home",
so to speak.. I have four that I think of as recues,
Darwin my first, the lady that I got him from had all of hers taken due to HLP except Darwin and his sister, they had been sold to someone that endded up returning both of them and she knew she could not care for them and in fear of them being taken to she gave them away.. but he was under weight and had very little to no human contact, I was his third home at him being 10 weeks OOP.
my other three, Zip, Zoey, and Lita..
they were taken away from the person that had them, and were all VERY under Weight, VERY mis handled and Sick, they had been placed with prior owner knowing that they were to be a non breeding pair.. did not happen! Zoie had at least three joey's that we know of with her,I am the third home that we know of.. Lita had been handled but was still shy, Zip we were told to never let him out or you would never catch him..
and Zoey well she is just Zoey! she has come a long way in the time I have had them but still has a long road to go.. she is getting over her fear of humans but still has a long way to go.

my Last two I feel were re homes.. the couple that had them loved them to no end, and finding out she is with child and already has a young son, knew they would not be able to care for them and give them the time they need had them posted for sale on here and I got in touch with her and picked them up.. them I think of as were re homed.

but all the same I am the forever home (God willing)
for all of my babies..

And on the same page.. I want to thank all of our Rescue homes! you all do make the world a better place for the gliders and the slaves that get them.. and I give you all props as I don't know if I could do it.. take them in and get them back to health and loving babies yes but to let them go.. that would be the part I would have a hard time with..

:bb: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :cream: :wt: :lion:
Vet tech, Hobby breeder and slave to many fuzz butts of all kinds!

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: tlkngfethrs1] #864859
11/10/09 10:15 PM
11/10/09 10:15 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

grin And then there is Nolan! What a lucky little boy he is!

620-704-9109

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Dancing] #864860
11/10/09 10:22 PM
11/10/09 10:22 PM
Fort Wayne, Indiana
tlkngfethrs1 Offline
Glider Lover
tlkngfethrs1  Offline
Glider Lover

Fort Wayne, Indiana
umm.. I think I am the lucky one with Nolan cloud9
he spent all day yesterday and today in my bra..
he missed his mommy from this weekend!
I wish I could take everyone with me on trips..

:bb: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :cream: :wt: :lion:
Vet tech, Hobby breeder and slave to many fuzz butts of all kinds!

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #865018
11/11/09 08:53 AM
11/11/09 08:53 AM
Michigan
S
sugeebaby Offline OP
Glider Slave
sugeebaby  Offline OP
Glider Slave
S

Michigan
Originally Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom
Here is the simplistic breakdown:

Rescues are looking for a forever home.

Once a glider finds a forever home (no matter where it came from), it is a pet.

I think Val sums it up the best.

I think people throw that word rescue out way to much. I feel once you take in that rescue and you decide to keep it forever. Then you no longer should call it a rescue but your personal glider. By still calling it a rescue you may be bumped out of some programs that d not assit rescues.
I have rescues but since they have been with me for over 3 yrs they now are my personal pets and I do not call them rescues.
I also agree we need to stop using the word rehome.

Karen
President of The Glider Initiative
:bb: The Glider Crue :grey:

The Pampered Glider

The Glider Initiative
Have you educated someone today?

Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: sugeebaby] #865025
11/11/09 09:33 AM
11/11/09 09:33 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I think this is an excellent topic and am glad to see so many experienced rescuers chiming in with their thoughts on these terms.
I have taken in a few "rescues" over the years, but they became my pets as soon as I decided to keep them with me forever. For breeding considerations, they are still considered "rescues" and would never be bred, but for all other purposes, they are no longer "rescues" they are (or were during their lifespans) my beloved pets heart

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: When is it a Rescue or Rehome???? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #865318
11/11/09 08:31 PM
11/11/09 08:31 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Here's my opinion:

Rescue - to me is a glider that is in some type of condition that it needs to be removed from it's environment. The rescuer does not usually know the history behind the gliders, medical, diet, lineage, personality etc. All of this gets evaluated, proper diet given, vet care given and personalities evaluated. These gliders should not be bred for various reasons, including no history and no lineage. These gliders are being temporarily cared for to be placed into forever homes.

Rehome = Personal Pet (?) - to me is a glider that is being sold or given away for personal reasons; can't take care of anymore, no time, no money - but they have been properly cared for, and you have history on them. IF you also have lineage, I do not see, in this case, why they could not be bred.

But to address the apparent questions regarding the various programs, if the glider you are requesting assistance for is your personal pet, regardless of how you obtained it, then don't list it as a rescue.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 383 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,554 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,145 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024