Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. #865326
11/11/09 08:49 PM
11/11/09 08:49 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Usually the temp. is suggested to be around 70. or 68-72 degrees.

Yet we know the temp. in their natural enviroment has wide range.

Friends we know that live in Australia (Winkle for example) have reported it is much colder MUCH hotter there frequently.

So where do we get these numbers from?

I personally only cool when it is very hot (high 90's) in the gldier room, and add a space heater if it is very cold ( mid 50's). But 80% of the year I allow the temp. to fluxuate for them.

Alicia aka Queenduck, Bentley's Nana

We need role models who are going to break the mold ~ Carly Simon
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: queenduck] #865339
11/11/09 09:09 PM
11/11/09 09:09 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
I usually try to keep the glider room right around 70 degrees. It does fluctuate in the Spring and the Fall as I'm at the mercy of when my apartment complex decides to turn the boiler on or off. I figure as long as I'm comfortable, they are, too. If it's 60 degrees in here and I'm chilly, I borrow a space heater from a friend (I should really get my own). If it hits over 80 in here, then I make sure I have the AC window unit (in the living room) on. I have a thermometer in the glider room, since I don't have a thermostat. So, I guess my temp ranges are a bit smaller than yours, but a similar concept...lol...and mine's probably only about 20% of the time...

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: queenduck] #865341
11/11/09 09:10 PM
11/11/09 09:10 PM
michigan
cryingoutloud37 Offline
Glider Guardian
cryingoutloud37  Offline
Glider Guardian

michigan
I personally do not have air and never put my heat above 68 degrees .My gliders have never been sick (knock on wood) and I have even had a set of babies. Generally I set my heat at 64- 65 for this time of year when it is not that cold and during the day set it at 60 when we are not here. We had a very mild summer this year and it only got to the 90's a couple days but honestly the gliders didn't seem to mind the heat. And they still stayed in their pouch all day. I was concerned but they showed no intolerance .

-Shannon-

If everyone put their problems in a pile, you just might want to grab yours back!

http://www.motowngliders.com/

Lots of Beautiful and Sweet Gliders

Six Skin Kids: Jake, Alie, Nick, Samantha, Ben and Luci
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: queenduck] #865347
11/11/09 09:20 PM
11/11/09 09:20 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Here is an excellent post made by Gretchen/Sugarlope.

Originally Posted By: sugarlope
Their seasonal temperatures in Australia are very similar to our own. That being said, some of our gliders can handle colder temperatures (around 60 degrees or just below) and some of our gliders can not handle temps dropping much below 75. I have seen several posts about gliders being listless and even completely limp at only 65. Likewise some gliders will get really sick if the room temperature gets up to 85 degrees, while others can sometimes tolerate 90+ degrees as long as they have room to breathe.

My gliders can tolerate a fairly wide range in either direction - I have never kept them at a constant temperature year round. They are warmer through the summer and cooler through the winter and they shift their eating habits and appetites depending on light and temp seasonally. But I do try not to let them get into extreme temperatures very often, if at all. I also change the types of pouches they have seasonally. They have 'winter' pouches and 'summer' pouches depending on the temp and get extra blankets in the winter.

My gliders lived in our comfort zone when they were in the house which is approximately 68/70 in the winter and 74/76 in the summer.

Last summer I had their own room built in the garage which is heated/cooled and keep it at pretty much the same temperatures. Apparently this is good for them as they are now at the 10 year mark grin

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: cryingoutloud37] #865352
11/11/09 09:28 PM
11/11/09 09:28 PM
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Orlando, FL
My house always stays between 78 and 80 and I live in a 2-story so it is a little warmer upstairs although I do have ceiling fans and my gliders are fine.

TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)

www.fancysuggies.com
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Tish84] #865357
11/11/09 09:38 PM
11/11/09 09:38 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
I don't do the 70 year round here either. I'll only turn the ac on if my room is in the high 80s and I try to keep their ceramic heat emitter on all winter while I'm home. (we keep our house around 65 in the winter) Yin and Yang are used to it being colder and they're a little on the fluffy side too so even when it's 65, they feel like little heat warmers. <3 My new trio though are smaller and get really cold so I have to watch them carefully. They seem more sensitive to things than my pair do too. I'm sure they can be toughened up in time since Yin and Yang originally came from Krys who kept her house in the 70s year round!

Personally, I like the varying temperatures. In my mind, it makes them more durable. Yin and Yang are such tough sugs that not much phases them.

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Kiiru] #865364
11/11/09 09:55 PM
11/11/09 09:55 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
i try to keep my glider rooms (yea i have 2 much to my hubbys dismay) around 75. with cooler temps i have noticed they dont come out much.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Cora] #865405
11/11/09 11:26 PM
11/11/09 11:26 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
I used to let it my temperatures range from about 60 to 80 and they did fine, most still do but then Shimmer got sick (nothing to do with temperature) and my vet told me I needed to keep her temps from now on at 75 or higher. Being cold makes her not even try to eat.... I also noticed that between 60 to 68 my gliders did not want to play very much and they ate less.

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Janie] #865451
11/12/09 01:29 AM
11/12/09 01:29 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

My gliders seem more active when it is 65-70 degrees. Too cold for me though (I'm a wimp). Summer time I set the AC at 78 more to control the humidity than the heat (humidity is really hard on me because of the asthma). Winter time I set the heater at 72. So the temps do fluxuate in my house. Right now more so because we haven't turned on the furnace yet. I have a very well insulated home and it doesn't really get cool in here until the early morning hours. Coolest I've seen it inside the house so far this year was 66.

I think their biorythems are important. I think they need or should have the seasonal temperature fluxuations. It does effect their breeding cycles and how often they have joeys, which I believe is good for them. (they tend to not have babies when it is cooler or hotter)

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Dancing] #866065
11/13/09 02:50 PM
11/13/09 02:50 PM

S
SuggieBoi
Unregistered
SuggieBoi
Unregistered
S

I keep my apartment anywhere from 69 to 80 degrees depending on the temp outside, mine have adapted to my comfort zones with the apartment, I do keep a sheet over their cage at night when I turn it down so I can go to sleep.

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: ] #866294
11/13/09 09:23 PM
11/13/09 09:23 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
We have the gliders on an enclosed porch. Temperatures can vary alot since it's not heated or cooled.

During the summer, we bring the gliders inside during the day and close off the porch because it would be too expensive to air condition it. But most of the time they do fine with temperaturs up in the 90's. I also have some light weight pouches for the summer.

In the winter I put a small box in their cage and shove it full of fleece. They love to burrow in that and it helps keep them warm. If the temps get down in the 50's, which it rarely does, I bring the cages inside. I know that in their natural habitat they could tolerate much colder temps. But the difference is that they would have an abundande of nesting material if they needed it. They don't have the option to add more leaves during the cold here.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: hushpuppy] #866351
11/13/09 11:45 PM
11/13/09 11:45 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Gliders can handle a range of temperatures providing they are sufficiently acclimatised and that extra care is taken. I would never take gliders who lived inside all their life and put them outside in the middle of winter or the heat of summer. They would suffer from these instant extremes but they could slowly be acclimatised to it over time.

As most people know, I keep my gliders outdoors and I am the first to admit, even I was surprised by the temperature range within which, as a colony they live healthily without issue. I previously posted a spreadsheet of the minimum and maximum temperature within my own local region here in Australia. There are places colder and hotter than where I live that have wild gliders. The difference in extremes is quite wide, yet my gliders fare well.

In Winter, if you have a group of gliders together, they can generate a lot of heat! Providing they have adequete housing, bedding, you would be surprised how well they cope with cold. Single gliders are different though as they do not have the luxury of body heat that generates from having companions so I would never ever put a single glider outside to live. They would also be subject to torpor in the colder months which though, occurs naturally in the wild, is not ideal over any period of time. Single gliders in the wild do not last long.

I would be more concerned about gliders in Summer than winter. In Summer, wild glider colonies break down their sleeping arrangements to smaller groups to stay cooler! Heat stress kills. Last Summer here in Victoria, wild gliders and possums literally fell out of trees because of the severe extreme heat and drought conditions. I took extra precautions with my gliders and possums during this period and maintained their comfort levels at all times.

I am more vigilant and spend more time in Summer keeping my gliders comfortable on the hot days.( In Winter, I only add a few fleece blankets to their nestboxes and nothing else.). In summer, I provide multiple nestboxes with no fleece, shelves and branches so they can come and stretch out if the day gets hot. I have blinds that keep the aviaries cool and dark. I mist spray the aviaries down and offer lots of branches with wetted down leaves. The walls of the cage are lined with tea tree and the floor is like a natural bushland floor. Keeping this damp makes for a tropical, natural bush atmosphere and this also helps in maintaining their comfort.

I also keep numerous drinking sources available away from the sun and no nestbox is in direct sunlight for obvious reasons.

So bottom line for me, more than a couple of gliders together and cold weather = okay. Hot weather can be an issue so being vigilant about their comfort levels is important. By hot weather by the way I'm referring to conditions 90 degrees plus farenheit.

Constant room temperatures for gliders #897509
01/25/10 01:44 PM
01/25/10 01:44 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I see many times people posting they keep their glider room at a consistant temperature year round. I've read posts where people say you HAVE to keep it consistant and around 75 degrees.

WHY?

No matter where "wild" gliders live, the temperature does not say consistant year round. It fluxuates, warmer in the summer, colder in the winter.

I believe that their temperature should vary seasonally. My glider's room temperature ranges from about 68 to 85 depending on the season and it fluxuates between day and night as well. With most of my gliders, they are most active at about 70 degrees.

At night when they are up and active, the room is cooler, they generate more body heat. During the day when they are sleeping, the room is warmer so they don't get cold when sleeping.

I think it is important to have the variance in temperature to keep them on a more "natural" cycle. Just as they have their "day/night" cycle, I think they need their "seasonal" cycles.

Yes, they don't breed as often but I believe that is healthier for them anyway. I don't think back to back to back joeys is healthy on the moms.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Dancing] #897542
01/25/10 03:09 PM
01/25/10 03:09 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
mine stay more active in a stable room temp environment............they are spoiled house gliders, if its cool i dont see them much!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Dancing] #897648
01/25/10 07:37 PM
01/25/10 07:37 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Last year I posted a temperature range chart for my local area as most of my gliders are outside. The extremes were from 24.1 to 113 locally. February 9th last year, saw the top temperature reach 118 degrees so I may have to redo that chart!

There are warmer/colder places here in Australia but I cited my own area because my gliders are outside here plus there are wild gliders in my locale also.

Whilst the extreme heat might need extra care and attention, I have never found Winter too cold for them probably as they group into a large colony in one nestbox instead over several as they do when it's warmer. The heat generating from that box is amazing!

My gliders are quite active generally - I find them less so on hot nights though where they like to sit out on the branches and just hang out.

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Marz] #897662
01/25/10 08:10 PM
01/25/10 08:10 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I agree with Teresa, I have never kept my gliders at a constant temperature. Mine are colder in the winter (it gets down to 58 sometimes) and warmer in the summer (up to around 90). They still get up every night, they are more or less active seasonally, their appetites shift seasonally. But they are all very happy and still get up for play time. I use thicker pouches with extra blankets in winter and thinner pouches in summer and they all do great. thumb

I think 'normal' cycles and rhythms are good for them, just like normal cycles are good for us.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: sugarlope] #897709
01/25/10 09:42 PM
01/25/10 09:42 PM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

My temp in my house is cooler in winter and warmer in summer. I don't let it get below 68 in my house during the winter months. I have noticed that if it's chilly in my house then they pretty much stay in their pouches except to eat.

I think they are fine as long as they aren't exposed to extreme temperatures.

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: ] #897859
01/26/10 08:45 AM
01/26/10 08:45 AM

T
Teeny
Unregistered
Teeny
Unregistered
T

I have been so worried about my glider so I bought a heat lamp, that really doesn't generate much heat, but it's there to make me feel better. I notice her by it sometimes. But after reading this post, I feel so much better.

I have a hard time keeping my house at a consistent temperature. Our heating and A/C unit has been giving us problems for the past couple of years. Either it's too chilly in the house or it's too hot. It's very frustrating cause this house is only 5 years old!

Anyway, it's either 70 or 74 in the house, and really it feels colder, but the stupid thermometer says otherwise.

Thanks for posting this thread Dancing, I feel so much better knowing it's okay.

Re: Constant room temperatures for gliders #899170
01/29/10 07:42 AM
01/29/10 07:42 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Every time I read 'what temperature is ok for gliders?' and the replies, I think about posting this, but haven't for some reason, particularly when someone wants to know what temps are "in the wild"...

It makes no difference what wild gliders can deal with in the way of temps IN THE WILD. This is because they weren't born or raised in the wild...and that makes a big difference. They, our gliders, are acclimatized to indoor temps that are much less dramatic, normally, than outdoor ones. It's similar with people.

I grew up in California-didn't move to Utah until I was 27 (my sons were 6 & 7 years old). I have never fully acclimatized to the cold here, although it's a little better than it was at first, and I never will. My sons, however, did-they don't have issues with it like I do-but they DO have issues with California type summer heat...because they didn't grow up in it for the most part.

We also have the variable that due to human interference, our gliders are not operating under the 'survival of the fittest' rule, either, as they do in the wild. For example, gliders that are prone to infection, SM, suffering other health issues...in the wild wouldn't survive...and many times not breed, either-but they do in captivity.

So while diet makes sense to look at what they eat in the wild...temperatures they accept are entirely different...diet is connected to what they have evolved to do well on...but temps are subject to what they were brought up in, in part, and in part what they were designed to tolerate-which creates a window more or less. I doubt that a lot of our gliders would survive a cold Austrailian winter for that reason if suddenly let loose there, assuming all their other needs were met.

Anyhow, was just reading a thread from a few months back, and thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited by sugarlope; 01/29/10 02:59 PM. Reason: changed title

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Xfilefan] #899241
01/29/10 12:57 PM
01/29/10 12:57 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Jen, while I agree with your post, I also feel it is important that our captive gliders also have seasonal changes in the temperatures they are kept at. Not extreme changes but changes none the less. My house ranges between 65 and 80 through out the year (cooler in winter, warmer in the summer). It was worse at the old house when we didn't have AC, it sometimes got 95+ in the summers. I believe the seasonal changes are as important to them as the day/night cycles. It seems to effect how often/when they breed and helps control over breeding.

620-704-9109

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Dancing] #899312
01/29/10 04:24 PM
01/29/10 04:24 PM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
Xfilefan, your reasoning is all the more reason to allow house temperatures to vary so our little pals aren't dependent on a very stable narrow temperature band. We know they are genetically capable of flourishing in a wider band of temperatures so should emulate that (IMHO).

Nala, Ronald & Reuel (formerly Eladio & Petal) :plat:
Judah :rbridge: Anson :rbridge: Lele :rbridge: Laki :rbridge:
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Paani] #899480
01/29/10 10:42 PM
01/29/10 10:42 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
I know my temps change constantly around here. In the winter it gets down to the 60's in the summer up to the 80's.

I also open all my windows when the weather is decent enough to do so and allow the fresh breezes to come in.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Xfilefan] #899490
01/29/10 11:05 PM
01/29/10 11:05 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Xfilefan

It makes no difference what wild gliders can deal with in the way of temps IN THE WILD. This is because they weren't born or raised in the wild...and that makes a big difference. They, our gliders, are acclimatized to indoor temps that are much less dramatic, normally, than outdoor ones. It's similar with people.
more or less. I doubt that a lot of our gliders would survive a cold Austrailian winter for that reason if suddenly let loose there, assuming all their other needs were met.

Whilst I agree with the fact, that if you put your indoor gliders outside (or even into a cold room) with any acclimatisation, they probably wouldn't be able to cope with it, I also don't agree with people being told that a constant temperature range is essential, for the same reasons other people mention in this thread.

Gliders can and do acclimatise to different weather extremes even indoors. My outdoor gliders aren't wild but have been captive bred (some even indoors) yet with proper acclimatisation, they not only manage to cope with amazing extremes outside with very little effort,they also thrive.

I also have gliders that had previously been indoors their whole life and have coped well with the transition outdoors in the mild weather so they get used to the variables as the weather cools down/heats up. I would never put indoor gliders outdoors in say the middle of winter or Summer...that is just plain lack of commonsense to do so.

However,the reason for my original post was to explain that gliders CAN and DO cope with variable temperatures providing of course they are acclimatised to it. I don't expect anyone to take their gliders outside at all or suddenly take them from a constant temp. environment indoors and plonk them into a chilly/hot environment indoors. I do want people to realise though that a standard constant temps are not a must do. I have four gliders indoors at the moment...they do not have constant temps either though of course it would be much more regulated than outdoors.

Gradual acclimatisation is the key of it all though.

I also feel if a reasonably varied temperature range is introduced then, then perhaps these gliders could possibly start having natural cycles for breeding, eating and behaviour over time. I hate to think what strain it must be on those females breeding all year round when they their natural breeding cycle is 1-2 times a year in a 6 month period only. Here my indoor and outdoor gliders follow the natural cycles of their relatives in the wild so keeping gliders indoors is possibly not the only reason their natural cycle gets disrupted. Temperature range may have quite an impact.

Having said all that though, extra care should be taken with single gliders when it comes to cool temperatures as two or more gliders have a great heat generating ability when they snuggle up in their nest. Single gliders do not have that luxury and would feel the cold a lot quicker anyway . I would never ever put single gliders outside on their own for that reason either.

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Marz] #899571
01/30/10 05:00 AM
01/30/10 05:00 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Hadn't even realized this was down here...but kind of what I was trying to say...you don't want to just go by what temps a wild glider can tolerate with a new owner that may say...oh, well it gets 40 degrees (or under) in the wild so they should be fine-and the glider hasn't ever been exposed to anything under 70...some ppl tend to take that kind of thing the wrong way and not think about it... and I agree they could/can acclimate...but not all at once if their life hasn't had any exposure to much variation...does that make sense? Guess I should've worded it better, but sounds like at least part of the point got out of my brain, lol My own temps vary, but usually not much more than from about 65 to 80 degrees, as that's where I'm comfortable.

Marz...you're absolutely right...the most important part is:

Quote:
Gradual acclimatisation is the key of it all though.

I was mainly just thinking that it's not that simple a reply when the question is asked, and the thread I was reading included the 'well, "IN THE WILD" part' that really wasn't answered well....which is what got me wanting to say something...plus the answers were in ranges that was either very limited or really wide

Similar to "what should a glider weigh" is really not even close to as straightforward or simple as it sounds-that's a question I won't even give a number estimate on any more with a glider I haven't seen...it's whatever is normal for THAT glider, based on body size/type etc, which can have a range of 100 grams or more without the animal being either over or under weight depending on other factors...and our captive gliders vary so greatly from the average size of a 'wild' glider... but that's another topic

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Xfilefan] #899574
01/30/10 05:18 AM
01/30/10 05:18 AM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
On this topic, how do you all recommend gradually getting them used to temperature changes? Just turning it down a degree or two? Or would it be alright to go from, say, 75 degrees to 65-ish?

I keep my room quite warm most of the time, due to the gliders being in there.. but lets admit -- heating gets quite expensive, and if one could lower the temperature to be about 68-70, it'd save a little on the heating. I do not want to adjust the temperature too quickly though, as I don't want them to be cold.

Also -- how can you tell if it is just too cold for them? I've assumed that if I'm comfortable (with a sweater on), they should be okay... but I've heard from some that this assumption is wrong, as they're so tiny. And others, of course, who state that I'm wrong because they believe that sugar gliders can handle the cold well.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: WintersSong] #903508
02/07/10 05:18 AM
02/07/10 05:18 AM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
The reference material I've read said 65 is still an okay temperature for them. I expect that if they're cold they'll behave like Boy Scouts camping in the winter and go bundle up in their sleeping bags (pouches) and stay in them extra long.

I bumped night time temps in my house up from 60 to 65 for them and they're doing great (although they DO have a ceramic IR heater above the cage so they're probably feeling 80 effective).

Nala, Ronald & Reuel (formerly Eladio & Petal) :plat:
Judah :rbridge: Anson :rbridge: Lele :rbridge: Laki :rbridge:
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: Paani] #905002
02/10/10 11:34 AM
02/10/10 11:34 AM

T
Teeny
Unregistered
Teeny
Unregistered
T

Thanks everyone for posting and replying with such valuable information! I greatly appreciate it!

Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: ] #905034
02/10/10 12:51 PM
02/10/10 12:51 PM
Perry, Iowa
josefine Offline
Glider Addict
josefine  Offline
Glider Addict

Perry, Iowa
sugarlope(Gretchen)are you really going as low as 58 w/them,or(hopefully)was that a typo & should have been @ 68?
josefine

Larry & Josefine Vodenik
2014 4 St
Perry,Iowa50220
515/321-6081cell#
j.vodenik@hotmail.com
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: josefine] #906300
02/12/10 11:40 PM
02/12/10 11:40 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
No typo, the temp overnight in their room drops to about 58 on average during this kind of weather. They aren't harmed by it, in all honesty, they aren't even that much less active (unless there is a serious cold snap). Their appetites are still fantastic and they are energetic, happy little ones.

BUT, as has already been repeated in this thread several times, if YOUR glider is not used to variable temperatures, suddenly letting their temp drop would be very unwise. I have heard of gliders that have a problem if the temp gets to 65 degrees, just as I have heard of gliders who can't tolerate temps in even the mid-upper 80's.

I have always allowed my gliders (all of my animals) to experience seasonal changes, it is generally healthier for many kinds of critters. I even adjusted my lamp wattage and the number of hours of light my herps got seasonally, for the 13+ years I kept herps.

I feel like I should repeat myself here, though, if you have never allowed the temp to waver more than a few degrees in either direction, do not suddenly let their temps drop down to the 50's or go up to the 90's, that will likely kill your gliders. Do what you have always done, just be aware that there are gliders that can tolerate variations in their temperature ranges.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: You must keep your glider room between x & y temp. [Re: sugarlope] #910029
02/21/10 01:21 AM
02/21/10 01:21 AM

T
Teeny
Unregistered
Teeny
Unregistered
T

My temp vary at least 10 degrees more during the day then at night. It's really weird. At first I worried about her, but she seems to do well. Doesn't act or eat differently, and she still plays and sleeps normal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024