Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Teeth Problems #866984
11/15/09 11:51 AM
11/15/09 11:51 AM
Lake Worth, FL
Gregg Offline OP
Glider Explorer
Gregg  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Lake Worth, FL
Hi all. I have two gliders who just turned 10. A few days ago one of my gliders, Dale, started acting very strange when I gave him mealworms. He would either eat part of them and throw the rest away (usually the head) or flat out not take them from me at all. (Now that I think about it he was being a little strange eating the mealworms for the last few weeks since he would leave some scraps, but I thought I had a bad bunch of mealworms at the time so I didn't think much of it.)

I brought him to my vet yesterday (I brought them both less than 2 months ago for a checkup and everything looked fine) and she said his teeth/gums didn't look so great. Him gums were bleeding, particularly the upper right quadrant. His teeth show some wear, but he is 10 years old. She took some urine and said that looked okay. She gave me amoxicillin, Oxbox Carnivore Care, and Avi-X Booster Elixer. The Carnivore Care she wants me to mix with the BML I give him and force feed him some to make sure he's eating enough (he lost a little bit of weight). The Avi-X has fatty acids which she says she has been giving to a lot of animals now to supplement their diet (she's a bird and exotic vet).

So I guess my questions are a) does what she prescribed to me seem reasonable and b) what other treatments can I mention to her that might be a better alternative? I have a follow up appointment next Saturday.

Here is the info I found for the Carnivore Care and Avi-X:
Oxbow Carnivore Care
Avi-X Booster

BTW - Yesterday night I chopped up the mealworms for him and he seemed better with that. I think he mostly eats the insides and leaves the outsides (chewy on the inside, crunchy on the outside grin).

Thanks,

Gregg

Re: Teeth Problems [Re: Gregg] #867007
11/15/09 12:41 PM
11/15/09 12:41 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
This is way out of my area of expertise but I would be very interested in learning more. I hope you get answers soon!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Teeth Problems [Re: suggiemom1980] #867036
11/15/09 01:40 PM
11/15/09 01:40 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Did I miss it? Were x-rays done?
If not, you really need x-rays to determine the extent of the tooth involvement.
Without an x-ray, you are likely just treating symptoms, not getting to the "root" of the problem (pardon the pun)

Many of us deal with recurrent teeth issues.
You should not force feed a glider that IS eating - especially if he has tooth involvement. Just offer him food more often - like 3X/ day. If he is having pain, he won't eat as much. In that case, pain meds are indicated. You probably know how badly a tooth infection can hurt. The same is true for gliders. So, at your follow up appointment, request pain medication.
In the mean time, make it easier for him to eat by pureeing all of his food. I don't recommend a pureed diet for everyday use, but for a short time while a glider is healing from a tooth infection/gingivitis, it is a very effective and compassionate way to get essential foods into your glider. He will thank you for it.

Carnivore care has a lot of protein in it. You must be careful with adding a high protein supplement to an already high protein diet. Before doing this, I would have kidneys and liver checked closely with some bloodwork and re-visit the bilirubin levels in the UA.

Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum anti-biotic. It may clear up the problem. It may also give your glider diarrhea, so keep a close eye on that.

The teeth can be flushed daily with chlorhexidine rinse. This has been effective for me in the past if the glider just has gingivitis. Again, x-rays need to be completed to determine if there is an abscess.

Last edited by Jackie_Chans_Mom; 11/15/09 01:43 PM.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Teeth Problems [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #867490
11/16/09 02:38 AM
11/16/09 02:38 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
do not force feed him at all. you might choke him if its not done right. it will kill him instantly if it goes in the wrong place. also, theres a girl on this board called sugar blossoms who has a glider with tooth issues. try using a hard food a few a day like pet pro chicken the number i s 877 977 8310. theres a glider knowledgeable vet in palm beach who is the vet for the dreher pk zoo and knows gliders well his number is 585 0097 he is in palm beach s dixie hwy i would see what he advises

Re: Teeth Problems [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #867564
11/16/09 09:12 AM
11/16/09 09:12 AM
Lake Worth, FL
Gregg Offline OP
Glider Explorer
Gregg  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Lake Worth, FL
He seeemed to be doing better yesterday. I cut up the mealworms for him and while he still ate a little slow he ate everything I gave him. Since he is eating I'm not force feeding him.

I will bring up the X-rays and chlorhexidine at my next visit. Does the glider need to be under anesthesia for the X-rays? I am a little nervous about that, especially due to his age.

Is there any benefit to giving him acidopholus after the antibiotic? My vet said it won't hurt, but she was not aware of any studies as to whether it would benefit him either.

How about the Avi-X booster? Any thoughts on that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Gregg; 11/16/09 09:14 AM.
Re: Teeth Problems [Re: Gregg] #867942
11/16/09 10:56 PM
11/16/09 10:56 PM
u.s.a.
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
yes they need to be given isoflurin which is safe when done by a glider knowledgeable vet. go to the one i told you to go to. he is very knowledgeable. use benebac not acidopulus benebac for small mammals only and give a little less than a pea amount

Re: Teeth Problems [Re: the gliders angel] #867945
11/16/09 10:59 PM
11/16/09 10:59 PM
u.s.a.
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
i would take him to the vet i sent you the number of as gliders hide their illnesses even though he seems fine now he could take a turn for the worse if this is not corrected. the vet might want to give you baytril then i would get him something hard to chew like apple branches or the hard cruncy food i told you about.

Re: Teeth Problems [Re: the gliders angel] #867950
11/16/09 11:12 PM
11/16/09 11:12 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I have a glider with gum/teeth issues. He has "gingivitis". He lost his top two teeth a couple of years ago, now we are still trying to save the bottom two front teeth. He gets bacteria in between them easily and if not cleaned twice a day and flushed, turns into infection.

He has had surgery 3 times to put an antibiotic gel pac in. Each time, he healed up perfectly but the same thing keeps happening. He is on Baytril one week out of the month every month to help control it. I have to clean between his teeth twice a day for the rest of his life. The only other alternative we have at this point is to pull the teeth which may happen sooner than later. The teeth keep becoming loose which seperates the jaw.

I squeeze out his mealworms for him, squeeze out his corn and peas and he gets his carrots and green beans from baby food. He cannot have anything that will risk skins getting caught between those teeth. When I give him chicken breast or turkey once a week, I hand feed him, he knows to chew with his back teeth then.

It's been a couple of years dealing with this now. I hope your baby can get cleared up for good! It's awful for them to have any kind of problems!

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Teeth Problems [Re: Gregg] #867954
11/16/09 11:21 PM
11/16/09 11:21 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Originally Posted By: Gregg
I will bring up the X-rays and chlorhexidine at my next visit. Does the glider need to be under anesthesia for the X-rays? I am a little nervous about that, especially due to his age.

None of my gliders have needed to be put under for x-rays. Also, ask your vet to use the DENTAL film. My vet charges $15.00 for the dental films whereas the regular sized films are $125.00. BIG difference in price. Since gliders are so small, the dental film works perfectly unless the entire glider needs to be x-rayed.

Is there any benefit to giving him acidopholus after the antibiotic? My vet said it won't hurt, but she was not aware of any studies as to whether it would benefit him either.

Yes. You can ask your vet to give you a tube of Benabac which has the consistancy of Vaseline OR what I was told to give instead by my vet is the Activia Vanilla Yogurt. (NOT Light as it has Sorbitol) You can also give him the other flavors if he likes them better. smile Antibiotics kill the good bacteria along with the bad so it is important to replenish the good bacteria while they are on antibiotics. NOTE: I have always given my gliders a bit of yogurt each night for the past 5 years anyway.
How about the Avi-X booster? Any thoughts on that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024