Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My boy died now the girl is having mood swings #881632
12/14/09 01:46 AM
12/14/09 01:46 AM

Y
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
Y

I had 2 sugar gliders 1 male and 1 female. Last week the male died. The whole reason we got the male was bc my female glider was not responding to human bonding, and started to show signs of depression. Once we got the male we still played with them unfortunatly it was only like 3 nights a week but they were usually okay with us picking them up. Now that the male is gone the female is back to her old ways, she is still eating but she crabs at me now and sometimes bites, she seems more jumpy, fast movements scare her. Is this a phase a part of the greiving process? I am now getting her out everyday when I get home and I put her in my hood of my hoodie, she seems content there but SOMETIMES I will go to grab her out of it and she will bite me and crabs. Sometimes she is fine with me petting her other times not. I went to the pet store and bought a tiny dog toy that is the same size and color the boy SG was I put it in some of his bags I haven't washed yet as to get his scent on it, I then put it in her bag hoping it would make her feel better. She will not sleep in the bag it is in, any suggestions as to what I can do and as to why the sudden moodswings and revert in behavior?

My boy died now the girl is having mood swings #881633
12/14/09 01:47 AM
12/14/09 01:47 AM

Y
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
Y

I had 2 sugar gliders 1 male and 1 female. Last week the male died. The whole reason we got the male was bc my female glider was not responding to human bonding, and started to show signs of depression. Once we got the male we still played with them unfortunatly it was only like 3 nights a week but they were usually okay with us picking them up. Now that the male is gone the female is back to her old ways, she is still eating but she crabs at me now and sometimes bites, she seems more jumpy, fast movements scare her. Is this a phase a part of the greiving process? I am now getting her out everyday when I get home and I put her in my hood of my hoodie, she seems content there but SOMETIMES I will go to grab her out of it and she will bite me. Sometimes she is fine with me petting her other times not. I went to the pet store and bought a tiny dog toy that is the same size and color the boy SG was I put it in some of his bags I haven't washed yet as to get his scent on it, I then put it in her bag hoping it would make her feel better. She will not sleep in the bag it is in, any suggestions as to what I can do and as to why the sudden moodswings and revert in behavior?

Last edited by your_ragdoll; 12/14/09 01:47 AM.
Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: ] #881635
12/14/09 01:53 AM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

First things first, what did your male die of? Second, did you take your little girl to the vet to make sure she has a clean bill of health? If not, make that your first step. Behavior change is common after the death of a mate, but it can also be a sign of illness. Best to rule that out before moving on.

Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: ] #881636
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
First of all, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your boy.

A toy can't replace her companion... in fact, a human cannot even replace her companion. But, yes, sugar gliders are intelligent. Even though the toy might be the same size and color as her former companion.. even if it smells like him.. she knows that it's not him.

I am not as experienced as most on here, but my guess is that she may be depressed. Sugar gliders don't do well alone, even with constant human companionship.

If you can, you might want to look into getting her a new buddy for her.... You'll need to do quarantine (30 day period -- starts with a vet visit, ends with a vet visit), and then an intro period (how long this takes depends on the gliders, it seems).

For the time being just try and give her extra loving.

out of curiosity -- how old was your male? Do you know the cause of his death? You might want to get your girl in for a wellness exam just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by WintersSong; 12/14/09 01:54 AM.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: ] #881637
12/14/09 01:56 AM
12/14/09 01:56 AM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
I posted in your other thread: copy and pasting my response here, as well:

First of all, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your boy.

A toy can't replace her companion... in fact, a human cannot even replace her companion. But, yes, sugar gliders are intelligent. Even though the toy might be the same size and color as her former companion.. even if it smells like him.. she knows that it's not him.

I am not as experienced as most on here, but my guess is that she may be depressed. Sugar gliders don't do well alone, even with constant human companionship.

If you can, you might want to look into getting her a new buddy for her.... You'll need to do quarantine (30 day period -- starts with a vet visit, ends with a vet visit), and then an intro period (how long this takes depends on the gliders, it seems).

For the time being just try and give her extra loving.

out of curiosity -- how old was your male? Do you know the cause of his death? You might want to get your girl in for a wellness exam just to be on the safe side.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: ] #881638
12/14/09 01:57 AM
12/14/09 01:57 AM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

I second what Gina says!

What you are seeing could be a normal part of the grieving process, or she could be sick with the same thing the male died of, if he died of illness.

It is worth considering...when both you have had time to get your female health-checked and also for you to grieve the loss of your male (since it is always tough to lose a pet), you might consider her getting another female or neutered male as a friend...a neutered male would be the scenario most likely to work out.

hug2 Good luck.

Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: ] #881650
12/14/09 02:15 AM

Y
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
Y

we were not sure as to the age of the boy when we got him. we think that he might of died of dehydration and old age since he was never all that active, I did the dehydration test the night before he died and he did fit the symptoms I called the vet but the area I am in does not have vets that know anything about gliders unfortunatly ll he could tell me to do was to do what I had already read on the internet which ws incubate and pedialyte. When I found the boy he was cold, I gave him some pedialyte and kept him incubated he seemed to get a little better but the next day he was back to hardly moving. I gave him some more pedialyte but he sadly died while I was trying to administer it. the girl is not dehydrated I have been feeding her and she has been eating. I can not afford another glider right now, and I don't want to sell her bc I just lost my dog as well so she is the last compainion I have. As for taking her to the vet I don't know of any around here that know enough about them. she is still actively moving, and I washed all of the bags as to remove any germs it has been a week sicnce the boy died and she is not showing any signs of sickness.

Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: WintersSong] #881651

Y
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
Y

we were not sure as to the age of the boy when we got him. we think that he might of died of dehydration and old age since he was never all that active, I did the dehydration test the night before he died and he did fit the symptoms I called the vet but the area I am in does not have vets that know anything about gliders unfortunatly ll he could tell me to do was to do what I had already read on the internet which ws incubate and pedialyte. When I found the boy he was cold, I gave him some pedialyte and kept him incubated he seemed to get a little better but the next day he was back to hardly moving. I gave him some more pedialyte but he sadly died while I was trying to administer it. the girl is not dehydrated I have been feeding her and she has been eating. I can not afford another glider right now, and I don't want to sell her bc I just lost my dog as well so she is the last compainion I have. As for taking her to the vet I don't know of any around here that know enough about them. she is still actively moving, and I washed all of the bags as to remove any germs it has been a week sicnce the boy died and she is not showing any signs of sickness.

Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: ] #881655
12/14/09 02:25 AM
12/14/09 02:25 AM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
Where are you located? Someone on here might know of a vet in your area.

It is really important to get your glider a wellness exam... even a vet who is not knowledgeable about gliders will be better than nothing. Sugar gliders are really good at masking illnesses, and often the first signs of illness are when the problem is too advanced to fix. You don't want to wait until she shows symptoms of anything to get her in to a vet. Best case here is that you take her for a wellness exam and hear that everything is great... it's a comfort to hear, and it'll make you a client at that vets office. It is good to have a vet that is familiar with you, as many vets won't see emergency cases when it's not a client.

Last edited by WintersSong; 12/14/09 02:28 AM.

~*Sara*~

Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: WintersSong] #881667
12/14/09 02:44 AM
12/14/09 02:44 AM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Definately time for a vet visit - dehydration doesn't just "happen" unless you don't give them water, and it doesn't sound like that's what happened here. Your little boy died of something else, dehydration was just a symptom/side effect.

Please get your little girl in to a vet right away & have them run fecals & a UA. Better safe than sorry!

Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: WintersSong] #881671
12/14/09 02:47 AM
12/14/09 02:47 AM

Y
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
your_ragdoll
Unregistered
Y

I live in warren county ky, but I will be in northern ky around henderson and evansville during the holidays

Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: ] #881673
12/14/09 02:54 AM
12/14/09 02:54 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I am sorry for your loss. You have been given very good information. Please get your glider to a vet to make sure she is ok.

Then you can find her another companion and after quarantine you can start introductions and hopefully she will get sweet again.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: Feather] #881689
12/14/09 03:13 AM
12/14/09 03:13 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Please call Dr. Henry at this Evansville clinic. She is one of my exotic vets and she's wonderful. She doesn't do after hours emergencies but she does take walk-ins. She is the vet for the exotic animals at Meesker Zoo.

Epperson vet Services
13659 Highway 41 North
Evansville, IN 47725
ph: 812-867-3100
fax: 812-214-2146
eppersonvetsvc@yahoo.com
www.eppersonvet.com

HOURS!

Monday........7am-6pm

Tuesday.......7am-6pm

Wednesday..7am-6pm

Thursday......7am-6pm

Friday...........7am-6pm

Saturday.......8am-4pm

Sunday..........CLOSED

AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY CONTACT:

APEC: All Pet Emergency Clinic

104 S Heidelbach Ave

Evansville, IN 47713

812-422-3300

Located at the corner of Heidlebach Ave and John St. right off the Llyod Expressway

Appointment times are available from 8am-5:30pm. Walk-ins welcomed and will be seen as quickly as possible. Emergencies are seen by a Veterinary Assistant immediately for evaluation.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: My boy died now the girl is having mood swings [Re: suggiemom1980] #881699
12/14/09 03:59 AM
12/14/09 03:59 AM
Kentucky
Merissa Offline
Glider Guardian
Merissa  Offline
Glider Guardian

Kentucky
are you close to bowlinggreen ky? If you are then you can go to the all animal hospital.

I love my Speedy, Roxy, Chance,Isabella and Gabriella:)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024