Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? #887290
12/29/09 01:35 AM
12/29/09 01:35 AM
Centerville, TN
K
Kara Offline OP
Glider Lover
Kara  Offline OP
Glider Lover
K

Centerville, TN
I am curious to find out more of the sugar glider's intelligence and what has been recorded, studied, etc. Just to watch my baby play is miraculous. He shows off how smart he is, just by the simple things he does.

I tried searching about the intelligence of sugar gliders, but nothing much came up. Does anyone know anything educational about these creatures, such as the way they learn, etc? Or have they never been studied in such a way?

Would love to know!!

Kara

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Kara] #887331
12/29/09 06:31 AM
12/29/09 06:31 AM
Centerville, TN
K
Kara Offline OP
Glider Lover
Kara  Offline OP
Glider Lover
K

Centerville, TN
bump

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Kara] #887333
12/29/09 06:39 AM
12/29/09 06:39 AM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
I don't know about studies, but I do know that I told my Meeko once not to climb past a certain point on a lamp or he'd get burned by the light bulb....actually I snicked at him when he got to that point and he stopped and jumped off. For the rest of his life he would never go past that point on the lamp and I never again had to remind him of it.
I've also had my gliders pick up vocalizations from each other. My Carina was the first glider to ever tell the vet "It hurts" during an exam (he was just holding her & doing a visual exam of her arm and hadn't really started the exam yet, so I know she was exagerating). I swear her crab sounded like she was saying it hurts it hurts it hurts. None of the other gliders was there at the time. However since then nearly every one of my gliders will now tell the vet that "it hurts". I'm guessing that during the night she told the rest of them about it and they picked it up.
They also taught my cat to bark.......well maybe she picked it up on her own because she thinks that she's a big sister to the gliders and has to do everything they do (including eating their vegetables), but she definately barks now, not well, but she does bark

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: glidrz5] #887335
12/29/09 06:48 AM
12/29/09 06:48 AM
Centerville, TN
K
Kara Offline OP
Glider Lover
Kara  Offline OP
Glider Lover
K

Centerville, TN
Haha, that's amazing! Toby is so smart too! He's the only glider I have and he has adopted this stuffed animal i put in his cage. it's round and twice his size! He carries it around with him and when he drops it he does down and checks on it to make sure its okay and gets it again... he also likes to show off. If I get up to the cage and he comes to me and notices I'm watching he'll start jumping and playing and keep coming back to me like he's saying "Did you see that mom!?". Plus when he does something I don't like and I tell him it's not very nice, he stops. He's only 4 months old and he comprehends SO much. It's crazy...

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: glidrz5] #887336
12/29/09 06:50 AM
12/29/09 06:50 AM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

I read somewhere that some people think that gliders are as smart as a human toddler. I wish I could remember where I saw that. I was wondering the same thing as you.

I know first hand that they are smart. I watched as two of mine untied a toy I had made them! It was a cube made of landware cloth that was all tied really tight with strips of fleece. They were able to untie the tight knots and take the cube apart! I was SO amazed!
I also have one that taught his mate to be a tail carrier. Now she goes around the cage collecting all the bracelets I hang up.

They are SO fun to watch. I wish someone would do an actual study on them to see exactly how smart they really are. I think they are much smarter than what we think they are! I really think that given the right technique that gliders could be trained like dogs can! smile

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: ] #887344
12/29/09 08:33 AM
12/29/09 08:33 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I have a few stories on my website about my gliders and their displays of intelligence...some of you may enjoy reading them.

http://www.handmadejewelry4jesus.com/sugar_glider_stories
my favorite one is the last one on the page about the pinewood derby car.

If anyone ever did want to start collecting some research on sugar glider intelligence I would LOVE (let me repeat that LOVE LOVE LOVE) to take part!!!

I am convinced they are WAY more intelligent that cats and dogs!

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: JillMarie] #887516
12/29/09 04:53 PM
12/29/09 04:53 PM
Florida
BindiAndScrubbie Offline
Glider Slave
BindiAndScrubbie  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida
JillMarie, I got a kick out of your little stories on your website. Made me smile.

Davie

:rtmo:SpoiledRottenSuggies.com

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy - Anne Frank
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: BindiAndScrubbie] #887536
12/29/09 06:21 PM
12/29/09 06:21 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
grin

^website link wink

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: JillMarie] #887551
12/29/09 07:02 PM
12/29/09 07:02 PM

J
JessW88
Unregistered
JessW88
Unregistered
J

The story about the foraging toy that twists open- I bought the same one and put it in the girls cage. They immediately ran over and opened it in like 30 seconds. My fiance Matt was talking about how he hoped they would figure it out- and I looked at him and said "they figured it out faster than you did!" lol And the cookie story- Karma and khloe push each other's face away from the feather toys! Such cute stories!

Last edited by JessW88; 12/29/09 07:04 PM.
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: JillMarie] #887552
12/29/09 07:05 PM
12/29/09 07:05 PM
Kentucky
Merissa Offline
Glider Guardian
Merissa  Offline
Glider Guardian

Kentucky
jillmarie-The one about the cookie was hilarious.
Im thinking about buying some challenging baby toys for supervised play time.

The night i got Roxy and Chance,Chance shook hands with my step dad like 5 times.

Chance would stick his hands through the bars and my step dad would grab his hands and shake it a little and after a few time chance just sat there while he shook his hands.

Roxy is a singer..If im singing in a certain pitch she will sing in that pitch.

They are so smart.

I wonder if you could teach them the ABC's by buying letters and everytime they get one right give them a treat.
That would be so cool.
Im going to try that. lol

I love my Speedy, Roxy, Chance,Isabella and Gabriella:)
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Merissa] #887599
12/29/09 09:36 PM
12/29/09 09:36 PM
United States
theresaw Offline
Glider Lover
theresaw  Offline
Glider Lover

United States
"Bug" learned how to be a great model. She'll stay in whatever pose you put her in,hold objects you hand to her, and she's careful not to tilt her head when she's wearing a hat in the picture. Theresa

Attached Files
Card-Montage-v2_web.jpg (65 downloads)
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Merissa] #887610
12/29/09 10:01 PM
12/29/09 10:01 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I know that every tricky toy I've ever made for them, they figured out! I say that mine are furry, 4" tall, 2 yr olds!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: suggiemom1980] #887617
12/29/09 10:27 PM
12/29/09 10:27 PM
Centerville, TN
K
Kara Offline OP
Glider Lover
Kara  Offline OP
Glider Lover
K

Centerville, TN
see. all these stories are incredible. it shows how smart these little babies are. i agree too, they are smarter than any cat or dog i know!!

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Kara] #887620
12/29/09 10:35 PM
12/29/09 10:35 PM
Centerville, TN
K
Kara Offline OP
Glider Lover
Kara  Offline OP
Glider Lover
K

Centerville, TN
i think we should get a group together to study the habits of their gliders, big and small, young and old, and try to figure out how high their level of intelligence goes.

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Kara] #887703
12/30/09 07:36 AM
12/30/09 07:36 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Great idea! how do we go about it? I have been thinking of contacting the college in my county to see if anyone there is interested...

^website link wink

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: theresaw] #887726
12/30/09 10:36 AM
12/30/09 10:36 AM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: theresaw
"Bug" learned how to be a great model. She'll stay in whatever pose you put her in,hold objects you hand to her, and she's careful not to tilt her head when she's wearing a hat in the picture. Theresa

OMG!!! That is the cutest thing I've eeeeevvvvvveeeerrrrr seen! Eeeks I am dying from cute overload!

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: ] #887744
12/30/09 11:26 AM
12/30/09 11:26 AM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
What an interesting topic. I've always thought that they are smarter than we give them credit for. And I might be wrong but I think a lot of it has to do with the individual gliders and how much mental stimulation they get when they are young.

Great stories folks. I love them.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: hushpuppy] #888092
12/31/09 07:28 AM
12/31/09 07:28 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: hushpuppy
What an interesting topic. I've always thought that they are smarter than we give them credit for. And I might be wrong but I think a lot of it has to do with the individual gliders and how much mental stimulation they get when they are young.

Great stories folks. I love them.

I beleive you may be right! I read about a study done on rats where they compared brain structure on 2 groups after a set amount of time. One group had no stimulation at all and the other had human interaction, games, etc. the group with the interaction had more developed brains.

My hubby constantly asks why MY pets seem to be the smartest animals in the house, and noticeably smarter than other pets he has had in the past. He asks me how I pick out such smart animals. Perhaps it is because I interact with them so much through play, and I invent games with them and make them work and think for their food a bit. I also attempt some training with every animal I have ever shared my life with. Teaching/training I think helps to not only develope the brain, but also reaffirms the relationship. Teamwork, that sort of thing.
What ya think?

Last edited by JillMarie; 12/31/09 07:30 AM.

^website link wink

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: JillMarie] #888164
12/31/09 03:11 PM
12/31/09 03:11 PM
Centerville, TN
K
Kara Offline OP
Glider Lover
Kara  Offline OP
Glider Lover
K

Centerville, TN
I do not know how to go about a study, but Bourbon just messaged me with a LOT of info on them. If you would like, JillMarie I can send you the messages she sent me..

Also, I fully agree with your last post!

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Kara] #888172
12/31/09 03:29 PM
12/31/09 03:29 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
JillMarie - your stories are very funny!

I know my gliders are very smart. They are ALWAYS training me! I'm not sure why no one has thought to train them. We just let them do whatever. It seems right. They seem vaguely resistant to training. But I'm not sure if anyone has ever really tried.

Maybe I will?

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Kara] #888177
12/31/09 03:40 PM
12/31/09 03:40 PM

I
insaneglider26
Unregistered
insaneglider26
Unregistered
I

Wow this is a really interesting topic! One of our suggies loves running in the hamster ball, and She comes on command. As soon as you call her nme she scamper over in the ball and rams it right into your leg. And any time someone rings the doorbellshe goes running to the door to see who's stopped by!

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: ] #888189
12/31/09 04:32 PM
12/31/09 04:32 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

that is an interesting topic, and I don't want to ruin it by me answering that question..

so here is what I KNOW about the gliders.. brain..

they do not have ridges on their brain, therefore do not have the ability of reason or logic. their creatures of habit and can be taught some things if constantly repeated, however... if not repeatedly consistent they will "forget" what it is they are supposed to do.it is usually you that is leading them, they will not do it on their own if left to their own resources. example some say they can potty train their glider, but if the human is removed, meaning they are not holding them, the gliders will not run over to the napkin on their own. on the other hand, they do not know the difference between right or wrong, and doesn't have the ability to make decisions. (choosing between foods may be construed as decision making, but all of that is debatable)which means they may get themselves into a dangerous situation if they get scared, example is the wildfires in australia, the gliders remaining in their homes out of fear, or when chased out run into another hole. even when so much was going on, smoke, fire, heat, crashing etc..

you should notice during playtime, that if noted, they will do the exact same thing, go the exact same place,each time they go into playtime (tent, room etc,)

this is why bribery, treats, repetition works wonders for these guys.

as for their problem solving skills. they basically work on natural instincts of their foraging ancestors. if there is a way in, they will get in.

comparing them to a 2 year old is not that far from the truth, however, I think it is more from the 18 month-2 year old stage. where the repetition of the learning process is the most critical, it is the ages of most exploration, and messing with things that are different. but unlike humans, their learning processes kinda stop there.

if you take a child with a sever learning disability, you can teach them "some" things with repetition, but for the most part, their rate of growth regarding learning and mental cognition is limited to what is.

they work primarily with the basic animal instincts, food...

do they have the ability to love? that too is debatable,(they can be separated from their cagemate and generally placed with another, usually without any issues) but they can be taught you are their safe zone, their familiar, they they can trust you and depend on you. they can even lean certain phrases
with the use of repetition.

some things you can notice that verifys what I said...

they NEED their smell.. it directs them, it makes them feel safe.

I have a special place in my heart for the autistic kids. there abilities are very similar, if left alone, they can keep themselves occupied, but they need our constant supervision..

Autistic kids can wander off and easily get lost..
a glider can not be taught to "stay in their room", if left out of their cage.

autistic kids have a threshold of leaning abilities, some can not learn to dress themselves or go through a ritual of waking up, taking a bath, brushing teeth, getting dressed, and eating breakfast. but with our assistance they can do some of the things but not alone.

autistic kids require their security, things with their smell on it, the smell of the parents, the familiar of their surroundings. they get totally undone with their routine is changed.

autistic kids react usually with the basic animal instincts of fight or flight. getting very violent if confused, frustrated, scared, upset etc..

the gliders are not much different..

I had a glider who would react when she heard my voice, she would turn, and do everything in her power to get to me. I was her world, I was able to use certain phrases for certain responses. like.. look what mamas got, everytime i had a mealie, moth or special bug. they would pop their heads out of the pouch when I said that.

when I traveled, they would run loose in my car, if I couldn't see her, I could say, where is mommas baybe, and she would come to my shoulder, and bounce right back off.

our emotions were as 1, we had a very special "bond" we were incomplete without each other. but I was with her, and she with me, for up to 18 hours each and every day for many many years. I was the only thing she knew and trusted. she had a cagemate, but the trust between her and I was explicit.

if you want to teach them phrases, keep it short, and do not use that phrase for anything else, ever. lots of treats, during every aspect..

to test their learning ability, place a mealie in one hand, and a miniature marshmallow in the other, teach them the word for each item.. offer each item in a different location.. example place marshmallows up, and mealies down...

you should be able to have them go to those areas for that word to receive that treat.. but.. after they learn that,you will find you can not place one in each hand, and set them on the left and right, and expect them to differentiate between the two

Quote:
how did you find out all of this?

LOL sat in on necropsies and really studied the gliders, up close and personal, had a wide variety of personalities to study and had the pleasure of being bonded to the most awesome glider that ever lived..

as for the autisim, my grandson is autistic.

my best advice for you is really learn your gliders, never expect anything more out of them, then they are capable of. and love them just the same.. they are not "stupid" just super special..

it takes a really good heart to see into the hearts of the gliders. savor every minute of the time you get to spend with them, they will teach you something new , every single day, because we as humans take so much for granted, it is easy to look past who and what they truly are..

become one with your gliders, feel what they feel, think as they think, and protect and love them at all costs, you will not be disappointed.

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Bourbon] #888197
12/31/09 04:57 PM
12/31/09 04:57 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
do not have the ability of reason or logic.

I have to disagree with this. You say their foraging skills are instinct but it still requires logic and reasoning to reach the goal of what they are after. If scratching at something doesn't get them what they want, they change tactics. This is logic. I've seen my tail carriers try to get bracelets up to their pouch. When one method fails, they try another and I've seen them sitting and looking for "routes" to their pouch and choosing which way to go, this is reasoning. So yea, on this I have to disagree.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Dancing] #888199
12/31/09 05:08 PM
12/31/09 05:08 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
I understand what you are saying, Bourbon. And I know that there are many people who don't agree with what they describe as "anthropomorphizing" of animals.

Animals experience emotions. To label them the same way that we label our emotions might be anthropomorphic. However, it is the only vocabulary we have.

Do gliders love? When Linus was neutered, both Stella Luna and Linus mourned. To the point that they both started overgrooming. Their devotion to one another never wavered. I completely did NOT expect them to understand the consequences of his neuter. But - it seemed like they did. They became frantic when other gliders in the room had joeys. They would cry and try to steal the joeys. To me watching, it was very sad. To them - I think they were experiencing the loss of something that they both loved very much.

Do they learn? I don't know. I also have experience with Autistic kids - all over the Autistic Spectrum. I think they have more ability to learn than kids at one end of the spectrum.

Does the fact that their brains don't have ridges mean they can't logic, reason, or learn? I don't know. I think this is a very narrow-minded assumption. We don't really know what different brain-structures to ours are capable of. I can see a doctor or scientist drawing that conclusion when seeing an unridged brain. But it is not an assumption I would be willing to make.

I'm going to look into it more, myself!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #888201
12/31/09 05:22 PM
12/31/09 05:22 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

And love? Oh I definately feel they love. The bond that Sebastian and Whisper had could be nothing less than love. After Whisper passed, Sebastian grieved so deeply. He would semi accept another glider into his home and tolerate them but he never bonded with any other besides Whisper (still hasn't). Reep grieved so hard over loosing his joeys and well, you know the condition Reep was in when he came here.

Duncan, the little one I hand raised after he was rejected. Even as a 2 yr old adult, he would do that joey cry/call for me that they usually only use for their mothers when they are tiny babies. He would light up and get so excited when he saw me. It wasn't just that he was getting out of his cage because he didn't get that way with others, only me. Nothing will ever convince me that Duncan didn't love me totally and unconditionally. Just as nothing will ever convince me that Baybe didn't love you unconditionally and totally. Nor Riker for Jen.

Often times people want to say animals don't feel emotions like love so they can feel superior to other forms of animals but I believe they (many species) feel love deeper than humans can even begin to understand.

Dogs are another example of animals that love unconditionally. One of mine will stop eating if I'm gone more than a day. And I'm not the one that feeds the dogs on a daily basis, Joe is. So it isn't a "break in routien" for him. He just grieves my absense and misses me. Those are reactions from love, not training.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Dancing] #888202
12/31/09 05:23 PM
12/31/09 05:23 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Quote:
To exercise the rational faculty; to deduce inferences from premises; to perform the process of deduction or of induction; to ratiocinate; to reach conclusions by a systematic comparison of facts.

they can not rationalize their thoughts in a systematic way..

I understand what you are saying, but that is pure determination, they can not sit down and say okay this worked this way today... and a few days later no go through the processes again, to figure it out.

not saying they can't do things, or that their instincts are not powerful enough to make them determined..

but to rationally deduct different ways, in their heads without going through the actual processes,

they can't reason in their heads, this is why this didn't work, they just know it didn't. problem solving skills, in the gliders is a matter of sheer survival.

they want that food, they want that ring to make a nest,

My brother knows what he wants, he doesn't think about consequences, or other ways to get it, until he tries something that doesn't work. he doesn't think ahead at all.

nor do the gliders, they only know what it is they want.

Quote:
reasoning is essentially starting with a conclusion you hope to reach and then selectively evaluating evidence in order to reach that conclusion

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: Bourbon] #888209
12/31/09 05:56 PM
12/31/09 05:56 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
wow what an interesting turn THIS thread made. what great input! Love it!

as for training...My girls understand to come when called. stand, wait, and jump. But yes you need to do it EVERY DAY!!! when I skip even 2 days they are alittle harder to get their attention to do it again, but will if I am persistent.

as for the other statements mentioned as to reasoning skills and love....ummmmm....I do believe there are some reasoning abilities. But the trouble here is DEFINING reasoning. If a creature figures out how to get the treat from the puzzle, is that good foraging skills or reasoning powers?
and love....well again define love.
I love my husband, my son, Arwen (not always in that order!LOL) each one is a different type of love. Perhaps the "feeling safe" with you is a form of love. I know it is with me. If I am not comfortable with a person I will never love them, conversely if I feel safe with you you can bet I have some feeling of love for you as well.

I love the comments you made Bourbon, I read 2 books you would enjoy "animals in translation" and "animals make us human" both written by an autistic woman and they compared animal brains to autistic human brains. very interesting indeed!

^website link wink

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: JillMarie] #888239
12/31/09 07:35 PM
12/31/09 07:35 PM
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Orlando, FL
I know you can teach them to wink...I read it somewhere and tried it and they learn it quickly.

TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)

www.fancysuggies.com
Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: JillMarie] #888247
12/31/09 07:47 PM
12/31/09 07:47 PM

S
ShadowWynn
Unregistered
ShadowWynn
Unregistered
S

I want to speak up regarding one assumption that was mentioned in this thread that has been proven to be inaccurate. The presence of ridges on a brain is no longer considered an accurate representation of the ability to reason or use a reasoning ability.

Specifically, the 30-year study involving the African Gray parrot, Alex, whose species' possess very little brain ridging, has shown that this gross anatomical feature cannot be used to solely determine the presence of reasoning ability in a species. In the case of Alex and his fellow study birds, color, shape, and material of sample items were readily identified. Then evidence of counting became obvious with Alex demonstrating understanding of the concept of 'nothing'.

Unless studies are done, no assumptions can be made based on gross anatomical features or, sadly, the wonderful stories of companion animals who show bright inquisitive activities that delight and entertain us. As for me, I will continue to love my gliders and all their antics and I want to be first in line to be a research assistant should a study be started.

Re: Anyone studied the intelligence of Suggies? [Re: ] #888251
12/31/09 08:05 PM
12/31/09 08:05 PM

J
JessW88
Unregistered
JessW88
Unregistered
J

Charles Darwin once stated that "the difference in mind between man and the higher animals, great as it is, certainly is one of degree and not of kind."

I believe that this is the case- some animals can reason, but not to the extent that humans can. There are many studies of animal intelligence that are completed and/or ongoing. Alex the parrot was mentioned above. There are many more and we are finding that the gap between animal and human intelligence is not as great as we might think! I am by no means saying that any animal's intelligence is comparable to humans'.

But old notions are being destroyed and imagine what we will discover tomorrow. Check out some of the the science news websites like sciencedaily.com and search animal intelligence- cool stuff! http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090212141143.htm

Last edited by JessW88; 12/31/09 08:06 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 323 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,572 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,683 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024