Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth #903923
02/08/10 02:01 AM
02/08/10 02:01 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Eugene Krabs needs your thoughts and prayers right now.

Got up this morning, gliders were sleeping. I took their food dishes and kitchens out of cages as usual and went about my business and then took a nap this afternoon. I got up around 5pm and went to clean their dishes and kitchens before feeding them and opened the little quad's kitchen and though they are the messiest eaters, ever - I thought how much messier they were last night. Then, I realized that the majority of the splatters and spots and mess was red & they hadn't had anything red to eat last night. It was blood. So much blood splattered all over the inside of the kitchen. I was so scared. I grabbed their pouch, thinking I might only find 3 of them. All 4 faces peeked out at me. Whew! So, I took them out one at a time and looked them over checking for open wounds or anything I could find. The girls were all fine. Eugene, on the other hand, had his tongue sticking out of the side of his closed mouth. He wouldn't put it back in. I put him in a bonding pouch and then grabbed plates for the gliders and threw their food on them & put them in the cages and grabbed Eugene and headed for the e-vet. It's usually a 30-40 minute drive for me, but took more than an hour because it's snowing and the roads are [censored]. I kept stroking Eugene until I felt him moving and knew he was still with me like every 5 minutes on the looooong car ride.

When we got to the vet, they took him in back right away and started to examine him. He was such a good boy for them - he let them open his mouth and poke and prod him. The only thing the vet could find wrong was that his tongue was swollen so bad it wouldn't fit in his mouth and they couldn't even see the back of his throat. He had bitten the heck out of his tongue, and that's where all that blood came from. It had stopped bleeding, but we have no idea if he bit his tongue and that's why it swelled or if it was swollen and that's why he bit his tongue. I didn't give them anything to eat or anything that they haven't had tons of times before, so I don't think the swelling was an allergic reaction. We just don't know what happened. When the vet came to talk to me, she honestly seemed to expect me to just put him down. She told me that the only thing she could do was give him pain meds and antibiotics and keep him overnight and keep the tongue moist and keep trying to stick it back in his mouth. She really was not optimistic that he would make it. I told her that I needed to call someone (Val) and would get back to her on what I wanted to do. I called Val and she calmed me down a lot! :2 hug: Thank you, Val!! She said we should give him convenia and metacam and call Dr. Walsh, her vet, to consult. Val agreed with what I was thinking - that I could do everything for Eugene in the comfort of his own home where he could be with mama that the vet wanted him to stay overnight for.

Well, the vet didn't understand why I wanted her to call Dr. Walsh - she felt she knew exactly what she was saying and recommending and didn't need any help. She informed me that they won't use convenia because if there are side effects, it's not like you can stop giving the meds since it's one shot for 2 weeks worth of meds. Okay, fine. She was going to give him a shot of metacam but then gave him something else since she didn't want to mess with what my vet may want tomorrow. I asked her about his hydration and if she could show me how to sub-q since he doesn't seem able to swallow. She refused because I could OD him on fluids and she also informed me that the tent test doesn't work with gliders because they have too much skin or something like that. Okaaaay...now, I'm really anxious to get him to my regular vet who knows a lot more about gliders (even if it's not as much as Dr. Walsh or Dr. Tristan, etc...) So, she sub-q'd him there before sending him home with me.

When we got home, I made more HPW (I ran out tonight) and I pureed some veggies and some fruits for him. He was able to get a little bit of the antibiotic in his mouth - no idea how much got swallowed - and I am moistening his tongue with water and tried giving him some of the liquid fruit. He's in a hospital cage on my coffee table right in front of me and is acting fairly normal although confused about why he's in there. He keeps chewing on his tongue and I'm afraid he's going to chew it off. The vet was worried about self-mutilating as well as nerve damage. She basically said that if it was nerve damage, he's not going to live (Val helped me see that she could easily be wrong and that he may be able to adapt just fine if that is the case.) So, yeah, that's where we are right now. My vet is about 45 minutes away and opens at 8am - I will be up all night with Eugene and will probably just hop in the car at 7am and head there and call on my way.

Please keep Eugene in your thoughts and prayers tonight.

Here are some pics (they're not that great but you can kinda see what I'm talking about - click the thumbnails to see the pics bigger):

The kitchen

Eugene

[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f...04974.jpg[/img]

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #903932
02/08/10 02:15 AM
02/08/10 02:15 AM
Middletown, Ohio
Glider_Dad Offline
Glider Explorer
Glider_Dad  Offline
Glider Explorer

Middletown, Ohio
Stick with him and I bet he will be fine. Let us know what the vet say's. PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU BOTH

Ed
Husband to Patricia (mylittleshadow)
Father to:
Cats, Coco, Gizmo, Dauntless, & Spider
Dog, Brindle
3 Suggies : Rufis oop 12/07, : Calliope oop 07/08, Gabby oop 03/10,
:rbridge: Saphira oop 03/10 - 1/28/18, Garfield the cat, Callie the Queen Cat Pegasus 11/06 to 06/14, Kite 11/06 to 12/16
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Glider_Dad] #903936
02/08/10 02:25 AM
02/08/10 02:25 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Thank you, Ed!!!

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #903950
02/08/10 02:45 AM
02/08/10 02:45 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I'm so sorry Brenda! hug2 Usually, tongue injures can heal pretty quickly, especially if there's a chance that he could have accidentally bitten it.

I'm sorry the vet wasn't very comforting with her manners. You made the right choice in bringing him home to be in your care. I hope things go well through the night.

My prayers are with you and your baby. hug2

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: LSardou] #903952
02/08/10 02:55 AM
02/08/10 02:55 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Thank you so much, Linda. I'm hoping and praying for the best. He was out running around on me a bit ago like nothing was wrong - but I know how they hide their illnesses, etc. About 6 more hours till I can get him in the car and head for the regular vet! I don't understand how it could have happened in the first place unless it's like us when we accidentally bite our tongues or cheeks and they swell up and then we keep biting them...

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #903957
02/08/10 03:14 AM
02/08/10 03:14 AM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Good luck at the vet. Hope everything goes better for you... smile

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #903960
02/08/10 03:20 AM
02/08/10 03:20 AM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
Yikes! Poor guy! I'll be thinking about you and your little man!

Please let us know what your regular vet says!

"Put him to sleep." Humph! Whatever! I always have to grin inside when experienced glider owners know better what to do than some vets. I know, it's just lack of experience on their part. It does tickle me though.

Hang in there!

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: DirtyPaws] #903987
02/08/10 04:34 AM
02/08/10 04:34 AM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
Poor little Eugene! Is there a chance that there was a spat amongst the gliders? Just throwing possibilities out there. He certainly looks fine except for his poor tongue. frown I will keep you and Eugene in my thoughts!

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: StitchsMom] #903989
02/08/10 05:00 AM
02/08/10 05:00 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
It's entirely possible - since it happened in the kitchen they may have fought over food? He's sure acting fine right now aside from the tongue! He's running around and playing and trying to jump away from me and run on the couch and the coffee table and anywhere he can get! I'm supposed to be keeping him calm and inactive - so, he's back in the hospital cage for now...lol. 4 more hours befor we can leave for the vet...

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #903990
02/08/10 05:13 AM
02/08/10 05:13 AM
Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
Oh Brenda, it's so sad that the vet thought that she knew everything and didn't need to consult. Aren't your wishes important? No matter how much education we have, there is ALWAYS more to learn, and even if a consult just results in a confirmation of her original decision, it's still well worth it.

I hope Eugene feels much better soon and that your regular vet can help!

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: DeeDancer] #903991
02/08/10 05:20 AM
02/08/10 05:20 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
I agree!

Thank you! Me, too!

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #904001
02/08/10 06:33 AM
02/08/10 06:33 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Ah Brenda, I'm so sorry the vet wasn't more comforting and amenable to calling Dr. Walsh. I will definitely be keeping you and Eugene in my thoughts and prayers hug2 I'm sure your regular vet will be much more helpful.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: sugarglidersuz] #904012
02/08/10 08:12 AM
02/08/10 08:12 AM

N
NGS
Unregistered
NGS
Unregistered
N

Hope your little one turns out ok. Please up-date when you can. hugs.

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: sugarglidersuz] #904014
02/08/10 08:16 AM
02/08/10 08:16 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Oh Brenda, I am so sorry you and Eugene are going thru such a rough time. Big hugs to you and lots of prayers for a speedy recovery for Eugene.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #904016
02/08/10 08:29 AM
02/08/10 08:29 AM
Sedona, AZ
ozzi Offline
Glider Addict
ozzi  Offline
Glider Addict

Sedona, AZ
hug2 That poor baby hug2
Prayers going out Brenda angel

Pat
You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.....Unknown

Rest in Peace our little sweet friends that have crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge".
I miss you gangel Boo-Boo, Lucy, BJ, and Fivel gangel
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: ozzi] #904022
02/08/10 09:03 AM
02/08/10 09:03 AM

T
Teeny
Unregistered
Teeny
Unregistered
T

Poor little Eugene...such a cute little guy! I'll be praying for him and looking for an update.

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: ] #904027
02/08/10 09:22 AM
02/08/10 09:22 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
It always amazes me when vets refuse to defer to owner experience. It's as if they're insulted that you dare question their medical expertise and judgment. "Put him down". Hmmmmph! Obviously had no clue who she was talking to! I was sooooo relieved to learn she wasn't your regular vet! I knew you wouldn't have such an idiot for your babies!

Sending tons of prayers Brenda! Thank, God, Val was there for your little Eugene and you! hug2

I'll be right here, waiting to here what the good vet has to say!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: suggiemom1980] #904072
02/08/10 11:21 AM
02/08/10 11:21 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Brenda,

I will keep little Eugene in my thoughts and prayers. I will be anxiously awaiting updates when I get home tomorrow.

Poor little guy.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Feather] #904093
02/08/10 11:54 AM
02/08/10 11:54 AM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
poor little guy, i hope your regular vet can help.

regards,
nancy in detroit

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: hwh4ev] #904124
02/08/10 01:05 PM
02/08/10 01:05 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Thank you all so much! hug2

Well, I LOVE my vet!! He is so upset with the e-vet, he's going to have a talk with them. The ONLY thing he agreed with her on was the convenia (2 week course of antibiotics in one shot) and that's only because it hasn't been tested enough for his peace of mind. He anesthetized Eugene and found that the tongue was still pretty swollen - but not terribly so. He gave him a shot of antibiotics and a shot of metacam and wants me to bring him in tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday for the same (I don't care that it's 44 miles one way and the roads are bad because of snow - I'll just leave early!). He is hopeful the tongue can be saved, and if it can't - he said we may have to try amputation (the e-vet wouldn't even consider it!) He doesn't understand why the e-vet didn't call him since they have his number and often consult with him even on animals that aren't his regular patients - so he's REALLY upset that they didn't call him for one of his own patients because he would have insisted on starting the metacam right away. He told me that if I ever have problems at the e-vet again, to have them call him. Dr. Baillie made me feel sooo much better and was way more optimistic than the e-vet. So, now we wait and hope the antibiotics and metacam do their job and Eugene's tongue starts working properly again soon. I'm going to take a nap - after I try to get Eugene to eat some liquid foods...

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #904129
02/08/10 01:20 PM
02/08/10 01:20 PM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! jump

Hooray for such a great doctor!

Did he happen to saw if he say any kind of puncture or cut or anything?

More prayers and well wishes for ya!

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: DirtyPaws] #904152
02/08/10 01:53 PM
02/08/10 01:53 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
So glad Eugene got some good vet advice! I'm sorry about the e-vet's lack of knowledge. However, I still must commend you for getting him in for treatment so quickly! Good job, glider mommy! hug2

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: StitchsMom] #904164
02/08/10 02:10 PM
02/08/10 02:10 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
clap I am so glad your regular vet has been supportive of you and your boy!!! I hope the swelling goes down soon and that will be the end of his problems. I am keeping you both in my thoughts. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #904165
02/08/10 02:14 PM
02/08/10 02:14 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Usha77
Thank you all so much! hug2

Well, I LOVE my vet!! He is so upset with the e-vet, he's going to have a talk with them. The ONLY thing he agreed with her on was the convenia (2 week course of antibiotics in one shot) and that's only because it hasn't been tested enough for his peace of mind. He anesthetized Eugene and found that the tongue was still pretty swollen - but not terribly so. He gave him a shot of antibiotics and a shot of metacam and wants me to bring him in tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday for the same (I don't care that it's 44 miles one way and the roads are bad because of snow - I'll just leave early!). He is hopeful the tongue can be saved, and if it can't - he said we may have to try amputation (the e-vet wouldn't even consider it!) He doesn't understand why the e-vet didn't call him since they have his number and often consult with him even on animals that aren't his regular patients - so he's REALLY upset that they didn't call him for one of his own patients because he would have insisted on starting the metacam right away. He told me that if I ever have problems at the e-vet again, to have them call him. Dr. Baillie made me feel sooo much better and was way more optimistic than the e-vet. So, now we wait and hope the antibiotics and metacam do their job and Eugene's tongue starts working properly again soon. I'm going to take a nap - after I try to get Eugene to eat some liquid foods...

Woohoo for Dr. Baillie!!!! dance jump clap mlove hug2 I'm so glad to hear the good news!!! Good boy, Eugene! Your mama sure does love you! You're gonna be fine!!!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: suggiemom1980] #904167
02/08/10 02:19 PM
02/08/10 02:19 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I'm praying that the swelling will start to subside here shortly Brenda. You sure are lucky to have a remarkable vet who truly cares and is there for your babies anytime.

Here's hoping that you and Eugine are getting much needed rest. hug2

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: sugarlope] #904170
02/08/10 02:28 PM
02/08/10 02:28 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Let us know how he is doing after your nap! I'm anxious to see what happens now - and I'm so glad your vet was able to give you more comfort than the e-vet. Thank goodness you were able to talk to Val and get some peace of mind during the night.

HUGS to you and adorable Eugene.

I know it is sad, and I'm worried ... but ... he looks so adorable with his tongue hanging out! I can't help but go "Awwww!"

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: ValkyrieMome] #904237
02/08/10 05:24 PM
02/08/10 05:24 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Thank you!!! hug2 And, Alden, I know! He looks so cute and goofy. I just wish he was making a face instead of stuck like that right now - it'd be much funnier!

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #904422
02/08/10 11:37 PM
02/08/10 11:37 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Eugene acts like nothing is wrong. I had him out and he was jumping from me to anything he could in the living room and back to me. He did try to lick me several times which made me sad that he couldn't. He made me so proud tonight, I was crying. He found the water bottle in his hospital cage and he figured out to stick his thumb into the spout so the water drips into his mouth since he can't lap it up. One thing that worries me is when I feed him, he tries to grab his tongue and pull it out - like it's a piece of food stuck there or something - so, I just have to keep his hands away from his mouth while he's eating. I'm going to give him and his girlfriends some supervised playtime tonight - I just hope they don't mess with his tongue and that he doesn't get too distraught that he can't lick and groom them. Speaking of grooming, I think I need to get a toothbrush or something. He's getting food all over and since he can't groom himself, he's getting kinda crusty.

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: Usha77] #904597
02/09/10 11:03 AM
02/09/10 11:03 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Brenda, Just checking to see how little Eugene is doing this morning.

I was thinking the same thing, is there a possibility that something is either stuck under his tongue or towards the back part that is blocking circulaton? If there was bleeding, usually, with tongue injuries, they sometimes can clot under the surface which would cause swelling. Just a thought.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Eugene. hug2

Re: Swollen Tongue - protruding from closed mouth [Re: LSardou] #904683
02/09/10 03:08 PM
02/09/10 03:08 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
They didn't see anything - just the bites and the swelling. However, I swear his tongue is sticking out less today! But, Dr. Baillie wasn't in to let me know if he agreed - he had a family emergency so another vet gave Eugene his shots. That same vet will be giving his shots tomorrow, too - so hopefully she'll see some improvement. laugh

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 331 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,161 UTAH
321,685 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024