Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
USDA License and Vet Check Info/Inspection #870411
11/22/09 03:25 AM
11/22/09 03:25 AM
NY
G
GliderFun Offline OP
Glider Lover
GliderFun  Offline OP
Glider Lover
G

NY
For people who breed, I'm curious. I might be getting a license in the next few months as I just have enough females now.

When you find a vet to do a home visit for your USDA License, How much does it usually cost and what are they doing while they're there?

Do they charge a flat rate for coming or a flat rate plus a charge per glider?

Do they physically take each glider out and examine them?

What else do they do there?

What's the breakdown in price per glider?

Also, can the room the gliders are in have other animals in it as well as long as the other animals are properly housed and can not escape?

Any other info on the inspection and vet visit would be great. I know cages should really be off the floor, easy to clean floor, etc.

Are their cage size requirements?
I have large flight cages which are obviously large enough but at times I have one glider in a small cage 18X24 or something like that(for when I pull a male glider from a cage for the 3-4 days the female is in heat if they happen to fight and then he goes back after that).

Thanks

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: USDA License and Vet Check Info/Inspection [Re: GliderFun] #870838
11/22/09 10:09 PM
11/22/09 10:09 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Originally Posted By: GliderFun
For people who breed, I'm curious. I might be getting a license in the next few months as I just have enough females now.

When you find a vet to do a home visit for your USDA License, How much does it usually cost and what are they doing while they're there?

It depends on the vet how much it will be really. I would say expect at least a couple hundred dollars. I chose to have my regular vet, Dr. Ness, come to my facility. Since he treats my gliders it is beneficial for him to see how they are housed, and he can tell me if he sees any problems.

My vet charged me for coming out to the house, but not for each individual glider. He let me know ahead of time how much it would be, just ask your vet how much the charge wink

Yes, they will look at all of the gliders while at your home, mine brought a scale but I have my own so we did not weigh all the gliders. He also took some pictures of the gliders and my cage set ups.

Whlie at your home the vet will complete the "Program of Veterinary Care". You get this when you request info for your USDA license, they send you a packet with all the info you need and the application. They discuss parasite control, Emergency Care (24 hour e- vet), capture and restraint, method of euthanasia, diet and housing with you. I showed my vet my care binders, paperwork, adoption application, contracts and everything a joey gets sent home with.

Also, can the room the gliders are in have other animals in it as well as long as the other animals are properly housed and can not escape?

It depends on the animals, and the vets opinion of their compatablity. I used to have a frog in the glider room which was okay.

Any other info on the inspection and vet visit would be great. I know cages should really be off the floor, easy to clean floor, etc.

The biggest thing is that everything is clean, with no rust, and safe. The USDA inspector will look at how you store your food and medications. Also your record keeping and you will need to have the Program of Veterinary Care complete before they come. I just had my inspection and had all the paperwork ready. The inspector was impressed and pleased with everything. The inspector will tell you what paperwork you need to do and give you the proper forms. Here is a site that has printable versions of the forms and a detailed summary of the process you go through to get the lisence: USDA Licenses

I have large flight cages which are obviously large enough but at times I have one glider in a small cage 18X24 or something like that(for when I pull a male glider from a cage for the 3-4 days the female is in heat if they happen to fight and then he goes back after that).
Your cages sound fine. Good Luck!

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: USDA License and Vet Check Info/Inspection [Re: SugareeErin] #906398
02/13/10 06:23 AM
02/13/10 06:23 AM
NE Ohio
Donnarae Offline
Glider Guardian
Donnarae  Offline
Glider Guardian

NE Ohio
That was extremely informative and helpful. Thank you so much for posting this.

Donna & Bob,
One Miniature American Eskimo dog, Chula;
Six Gliders, Chip & Dale, Caspian & Ceridwen, Sasha & Stubby.

RIP Betty, my love.
Re: USDA License and Vet Check Info/Inspection [Re: Donnarae] #924024
03/28/10 04:01 PM
03/28/10 04:01 PM

B
berryanimalluvrs
Unregistered
berryanimalluvrs
Unregistered
B

Thank you for sharing your information....it was very helpful.

Re: USDA License and Vet Check Info/Inspection [Re: GliderFun] #924032
03/28/10 05:06 PM
03/28/10 05:06 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
Originally Posted By: GliderFun

I'll answer from my experience too:) Mine was 200.00 flat rate. He wrote down the approx cage dimesnsions, room dimensions, filled out the program of veterinary paper, made sure the gliders were healthy and had adequate living environments, and went over proper husbandry/quarantine etc
I would try to find someone who will do a flat rate if possible however i have heard of some vets charging an extreme amount on GC before when others brought up this issue. Should be about 2-300 dollars per year

Mine didn't as he had previously seen all my gliders in the office for wellness exams and fecals, however some vets will pull a fecal from your gliders or want to see them. Its all up to the vet and your relationship with that vet and how much you vet your gliders i think. I know i did open a couple cages for him to see etc. However we never took any out. As i said i go to the vets often lol and he knows my gliders very well smile

They go over parasite control if there ever was an issue, proper husbandry and care, fill out their portion of the vet form, talk about quarantining new acquisitions, talk about how many times a year you will bring the gliders in for exams/fecals. things like that.

mine didnt charge a price for glider so i'm not much use here. I have a wonderful vet that does work with me on price. For ex. if i bring in 5 gliders and get feclas on all, he may only charge me for one glider however document each glider separately for the records. If you can get a relationship like this, i highly recommend it. I think its very important to find one vet you love ( as well as E.R. vets to go to in case of emergency) however to have a good dr./patient relationship with one vet. It gives them a better overall standpoint on the health of you gliders etc. Its kind of the same concept if we jump from dr. to dr. the medical records are lost in limbo and its much more difficult to treat and diagnose that way

Also, can the room the gliders are in have other animals in it as well as long as the other animals are properly housed and can not escape? depends on the animals. Some animals can harbor diseases that may not harm them but may harm your gliders. I would speak with the vet about this. I really don't know. However i think it is much less risk by keeping your gliders in one room smile

Any other info on the inspection and vet visit would be great. I know cages should really be off the floor, easy to clean floor, etc. cages off the floor, clean, appropriate size, food needs to be stored outside the room in a closed container/labeled and dated, garbage can needs to be outside the room as well as any water jugs, proper ventilation via central air etc and lighting be it artificial or window or both need to be provided so the gliders have a healthy sleep cycle, get a filing system, file all your cages, vet records, diet, your main vet and emergency backup vets, your vet inspection program of verterinary care sheet, oop dates, where you received the gliders from, and whom you have rehomed gliders to.

I have large flight cages which are obviously large enough but at times I have one glider in a small cage 18X24 or something like that(for when I pull a male glider from a cage for the 3-4 days the female is in heat if they happen to fight and then he goes back after that). an appropriate sized cage is important. i'd refer to the blue book for this one provided by the USDA, however common sense can go here lol. The more room the better usually

Thanks

Last edited by kristy55303; 03/28/10 05:13 PM.

Re: USDA License and Vet Check Info/Inspection [Re: snowbabygliders] #924034
03/28/10 05:17 PM
03/28/10 05:17 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
i wanted to add that having an emergency kit for gliders and joey rejection supplies available is very important IMO. Mine is right outside my glider room so in case of emergency i won't be having to look for it smile Much luck, i'm sure it will be just fine. wink

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024