Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? #958991
06/15/10 08:36 AM
06/15/10 08:36 AM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Coppied from SGN because I know there is interest here and already talk about this subject. First of all, my ansers is... I am not sure. I am not telling anyone a sure fire way to tell, I don't think there is one (except by breeding). But I think it is an issue worth talking about.

I happen to know a few people who have bought 'white mos' in the past, and I am sure some will in the future, that in my opinion... are lues. These joeys have never proven to make mosaic babies, so... I am assume they are leus.

Leus vs white mosaics. Both are fantastic. But when we record lineage and charge people, the lines are getting blurred right now.

So how can we tell?

Short of making sure no mosaic/leu het is never paired with a leu or leu het, this is going to continue to occur. Esp. since so many of us put our mos in with leu hets years ago, what did we know? It will continue on. So are there clues we can look for?

I have had 11 white mos born here, and one more coming oop. 9 out of those 11 come from the same family line and you can always see at least a few dark hairs, and all get spots on their ears. Gannon barely has any yet Jet had very dark ears. Their ears are all different.

But leus can have a range of darkness too, some pure white with darkness on the edges, some deeper in, and some appear a bit splotchy. Cow ears? No, I have never seen a leu with cow spotted ears.

The other 2 white mos came from a 100% leu het/RT mo/with plat. lines (I think 50%) paired with a 100% leu het. They had 2 joeys Harley and Burl. Both born looking like leus with not one single dark hair, none, nada. But both grew very spotted ears over the next 12 weeks which continued to darken over about a year. Harley will never breed, but of the two, her ears look just like a mo (cow type), Burls didn't and I was pretty sure he was a leu. Burl was paired with a wfb 50% leu het and on the first try, they make a very clear mosaic, proving him to be a mosaic. The next time they made a leu? with funky ears. She also will not breed so there is no telling.

From my Fu family tree those 9 white mos all have one thing in common besides a few dark hairs. They all have 2 different colored whiskers, both white and black. Gannon only has one, his newest joey who really appears white (she does have a small amount of dark hairs on her back/hips and the shading on her ears where spots will come) but she has at least 2 black whiskers, one of the 9 had like 4 black whiskers/mixed with white.

I haven't seen any other mosaic breeders talk about whiskers.

Any of you with white mos or possible white mos notice this? They are easily missed unless you take a picture/looking at the face of the glider.

Do any leus have black whiskers? I wouldn't think so but I honestly do not know.

I can't remember if Harley or Burl had black whiskers, maybe I missed it, maybe they don't have any. I'll have to go back and look from my home computer.

Here is Bellamy. Can you see the whiskers ?

Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this.

Alicia aka Queenduck, Bentley's Nana

We need role models who are going to break the mold ~ Carly Simon
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: queenduck] #958992
06/15/10 08:38 AM
06/15/10 08:38 AM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Oppps, pictures are small, they are bigger on SGN if you can't see them here.

If you look above her left eye and above the left side of her nose you can see them.

Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: queenduck] #959019
06/15/10 09:58 AM
06/15/10 09:58 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Yes those little black whiskers are clearly visible, and apparently only on the one side of her face.

Don't breed white mo but that is certainly a very unique monkey you have there.
I will inspect (leu)Merribelle's whiskers when I get home and let ya know but I believe all hers are white.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: Trigger] #959029
06/15/10 10:16 AM
06/15/10 10:16 AM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Yep, all of that Fu line has had them. I don't think they are unique to my white mos, but... if someone has a joey in quesion that looks like it 'could' be a leu or a white mo, and they see dark whiskers, that could point to them being a white mo.

Without the dark whiskers the only way to prove it one way or another is to breed them. But with them you would know.

Unless some leus have dark whiskers. I really don't know.

With Harley and Burl, I wasn't thinking to look. And I already said I thought Burl most like was a lue. I was wrong. I am sure there are other lines with white mos that have dark whiskers, maybe we/me have just not thought to look.

Jen, I flushed my phone down a toilet yesterday (I didn't actually flush but it had the same result) So after a night of drying out in a rice bag, my phone looks like it works but the touch screen doesn't touch. It's dead. I can see your calling I just can't answer. Grrr.

Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: queenduck] #959040
06/15/10 10:38 AM
06/15/10 10:38 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Was just calling to tell ya that I was gonna get a pic of Apache in the grass but he refused to get off me. LOL

Back on track, my mo Santee does showt this black whisker trait. She has a solid white face all but 2 little black whiskers on the left side of her nose. I will closely check my leu's when home and reply with my findings for you tommorow.

Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: Trigger] #959082
06/15/10 11:43 AM
06/15/10 11:43 AM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Wow- once you look for them they pop right out. My non white mo's Checkers, August & Rush have black whiskers scattered throughout. My leu Coda, not a black whisker at all & my whatchamacallit Maia- no black whiskers either.

For those that don't know, we haven't been sure what Maia's coloring is. Her dad's a white mo but her parents have leu het %'s in them.

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: queenduck] #959086
06/15/10 11:50 AM
06/15/10 11:50 AM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Originally Posted By: queenduck
Oppps, pictures are small, they are bigger on SGN if you can't see them here.

If you look above her left eye and above the left side of her nose you can see them.

If you right click on the picture and open in a new tab, it will be larger & the whiskers are clearly seen.

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: jacknsally] #959108
06/15/10 12:33 PM
06/15/10 12:33 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Originally Posted By: jacknsally
Wow- once you look for them they pop right out. My non white mo's Checkers, August & Rush have black whiskers scattered throughout. My leu Coda, not a black whisker at all & my whatchamacallit Maia- no black whiskers either.

For those that don't know, we haven't been sure what Maia's coloring is. Her dad's a white mo but her parents have leu het %'s in them.

Yep funny, I never thought to look at my kiddos whiskers. I'd have never noticed Santee's 2 black ones.

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: Trigger] #959151
06/15/10 01:47 PM
06/15/10 01:47 PM
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Orlando, FL
pretty cool

TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)

www.fancysuggies.com
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: Tish84] #959216
06/15/10 04:07 PM
06/15/10 04:07 PM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
This I had noticed before on my 2 light colored mo's. Twinkie who is a very pretty light silver color, white face with no eye 'makeup' and just a small silver spot on his head, has only 2 dark wiskers. One on one side of his nose and one on his brow. His daddy Blitzen who is just a shade darker than him, not a white face and has silver eye rings and longer blaze on his head, has all white nose wiskers, all grey (not black) cheek wiskers and a few grey brow wiskers.

Peggy, are Dolly's wiskers all white? Oh wait! No! Don't look!

roflmao

Alicia, before you noticed wiskers, were you just looking for any grey hairs to determine your white mo's? Well, besides lineage and breeding them to see what they produce.

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: jacknsally] #959224
06/15/10 04:25 PM
06/15/10 04:25 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
nancy,
if you dont mind me asking, what percent leu het do maia's parents have?

thanks,
nancy in detroit

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: hwh4ev] #959261
06/15/10 05:51 PM
06/15/10 05:51 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Quote:
Alicia, before you noticed wiskers, were you just looking for any grey hairs to determine your white mo's? Well, besides lineage and breeding them to see what they produce.

Yes, grey hairs. But in my case all but 2 (Harley and Burl) have a few grey hairs and after they fluff up they are easy to see.

Nancy's glider's dad is a 66% leu het and I 'think' mom is a 50%.

Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: queenduck] #959263
06/15/10 05:59 PM
06/15/10 05:59 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
Peggy, are Dolly's wiskers all white? Oh wait! No! Don't look!

roflmao

I looked first thing this morning when Alicia and I were talking about it. Both Dolly and her mom Pandora have all white whiskers, but ALL my Mosaics have some black whiskers.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: queenduck] #959313
06/15/10 08:40 PM
06/15/10 08:40 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Hmmm I never noticed the whiskers.. just looked at photos of my MO's and sure enough... dark whiskers!

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: oakley] #959435
06/16/10 03:35 AM
06/16/10 03:35 AM
Illinois
tlc_in_chitown Offline
Glider Explorer
tlc_in_chitown  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
Ok...now you got me looking at my gliders and pics for this post, lol. I have had two white mosaics here and both have powdered out to look very much like leus. The spotted ears are very noticeable and both have two or three whiskers that are black.

Now looking at my leus....both of my adults have they grey edges on their ears. My male has a lt grey face whisker above his eye, but not black. All whiskers on sides of mouth are white. My female leu also has grey edges on her ears and lt grey face whiskers (two) again near her eyes, but def not black. All of the whiskers by her mouth are white.

All of my other mosaics also have mixed black and white whiskers. My new leu joey comes from a leu father and a 100% leu het mosaic mother. I am positive this female joey will "stay" a lue, lol. Pink ears~no spotting, white fur, and all white whiskers.

I recently spent some time with a friends mo~cistic gliders and was asked to give my opinion on them. I do see some light spotting on the males ears starting to develop...hopefully time will help his ears/spots color up more. We always look for the random grey or black hairs, but never thought to check his whiskers. Good observation!

Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: tlc_in_chitown] #959519
06/16/10 08:59 AM
06/16/10 08:59 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
OK my leu has NO black whiskers at all.

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: Trigger] #959522
06/16/10 09:01 AM
06/16/10 09:01 AM
Iowa
Lindsay Offline
Glider Guardian
Lindsay  Offline
Glider Guardian

Iowa
I just checked Ryuu last night and he has black whiskers by his eyes and one half black half white whisker by his nose. He is a platty colored white mo.

Lindsay
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: tlc_in_chitown] #959553
06/16/10 10:03 AM
06/16/10 10:03 AM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
Tami. Your 2 adult leus that have light grey brow? whiskers ~ do either of them have a mo parent?

And sheesh, just when we thought it was hard to tell!

Looks like I'll be keeping and breeding all the leus born at my house...........

We have a bit of a whisker fetish at our house ~ mainly because of my cat (stupid story.) But I LOVE my WFB's dark black whiskers on her blonde face heart And I love Blitzy's long, long, long multicolored whiskers. And we've always teased Twinkie because he has those random light grey whiskers. Guess we're just weird whisker folks. dunno

off_topic Um Tami.

Skipping SGGA?!

Unexceptable shakehead

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: oakley] #959601
06/16/10 11:21 AM
06/16/10 11:21 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I checked Wynn's whiskers and there are no black ones. He doesn't have a single black hair or spot on his cute little body. I looked all over, much to his disgust. LOL! So does this mean he is a leu for sure?

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: suggiemom1980] #959689
06/16/10 01:54 PM
06/16/10 01:54 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
I looked at Panda last night. He is a "silver" mosaic that is very powdered out (looks almost white in dim light except for a grey dot where his bald spot would be). He has 3 black whiskers that I can see. The rest are white.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: Dancing] #961007
06/19/10 06:06 AM
06/19/10 06:06 AM
Illinois
tlc_in_chitown Offline
Glider Explorer
tlc_in_chitown  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
Crystal~ No, neither of my adult leus (Yoggie or Magnolia)come from a mosaic parent. I assumed the slight bit of lt grey coloration in their one or two brow whiskers was attributed to the same thing that gave them the light grey edge coloring on their ears. I will try and post some pics this weekend. My white mosaics def have some "black" whiskers though. I have now noticed than the darker the mosaics, the more black whiskers they have. They haven't been too happy about me eye-balling them lately, lol.

OT~Regarding SGGA~I know...I know...been getting grief all over the place.

Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: tlc_in_chitown] #961047
06/19/10 10:19 AM
06/19/10 10:19 AM
Tennessee
F
fliptout Offline
Glider Lover
fliptout  Offline
Glider Lover
F

Tennessee
so if you are planning on breeding a Mosaic, do you put them with a Lue Het or a white face?
what do you pair them with?
thanks

Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: fliptout] #961057
06/19/10 10:46 AM
06/19/10 10:46 AM
Cincinnati, OH
tacasper Offline
Glider Guardian
tacasper  Offline
Glider Guardian

Cincinnati, OH
I have a question. Has anyone checked out the whiskers on their WFB or grays? Do they have just solid black whiskers or a mixture too?

The reason I ask is because I was checking out my leus who all have white whiskers, and my mosaics have a mixture. I have a WFB boy who is possibly a minimally marked mosaic too. He has both black and white whiskers along with spotty ears and a broken stripe. He has only had two joeys- a leu and a gray boy, so he hasn't proven out yet. Just curious to know what color your WFB whiskers are.

Teri

Owner of lots of beautiful suggies!
:bb: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo: :cream: :plat:

My fabulous rescue Nanuk
And Kiesha waiting in heaven

And two OCD and neurotic bulldogs Capone and Aspen!

www.sugarhighgliders.com

Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: tacasper] #962131
06/21/10 03:22 PM
06/21/10 03:22 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
i will have to check out my lakota(2nd gen. wfb) tonight. although i may need a magnifying glass to see his whiskers. ha ha

regards,
nancy in detroit

regards,
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: hwh4ev] #963403
06/23/10 07:21 PM
06/23/10 07:21 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
i tried to look at lakotas whiskers and from what i could see they were all white.

regards,
nancy in detroit

regards,
Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: hwh4ev] #963407
06/23/10 07:36 PM
06/23/10 07:36 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Teri, can you post a picture of this boy.

I'll look at wfb whiskers next.

Re: How can you tell a white mosaic from a leu? [Re: queenduck] #963661
06/24/10 10:10 AM
06/24/10 10:10 AM
Cincinnati, OH
tacasper Offline
Glider Guardian
tacasper  Offline
Glider Guardian

Cincinnati, OH
Here is a couple of pics of my WFB leu het boy who is possibly a minimally marked mo. You can see the mixed whiskers really good in the first two pics- mostly on the right side. The second pic he is with his white mo brother. The third is his spotty ears.

I'm wondering if it's common for white faced to have a mixture, or if maybe it's the leu gene, or it could be the mosaic trait.

He is going to be a daddy again soon, so maybe I will finally get an answer if he has the mo gene too grin

This is a very interesting topic. I'm going to be checking everyone out a little more closely now!

Attached Files
Picture1073.jpg (33 downloads)
Picture1086.jpg (28 downloads)
Picture1077 (1).jpg (26 downloads)
Picture1072.jpg (24 downloads)

Teri

Owner of lots of beautiful suggies!
:bb: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo: :cream: :plat:

My fabulous rescue Nanuk
And Kiesha waiting in heaven

And two OCD and neurotic bulldogs Capone and Aspen!

www.sugarhighgliders.com

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 393 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,597 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,184 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024