Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fairfax county Va #810241
07/21/09 03:43 PM
07/21/09 03:43 PM

A
Aleera
Unregistered
Aleera
Unregistered
A

So I went to the pet store back when Rocco was still 9 weeks old and asked if they carried sugar glider food (back when I feed pellets) but they didn't. The girl there who used to own sugar gliders said to her knowledge it was illegal to buy or sell sugar gliders in Fairfax county Virginia. Does anyone know about this? I read somewhere on this forum that sugar gliders are legal in Va but in Fairfax county it IS legal to have them, just not buy or sell them.

P.S.: The info about whether it was legal was on an angelfire site. It was in a link from the permanent post about state restrictions.

Last edited by Aleera; 07/21/09 03:45 PM.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #810252
07/21/09 04:12 PM
07/21/09 04:12 PM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

Gliders are legal in most Cities and Counties in Virginia... but most of Northern VA it's illegal to own them, not just buy or sell.. Here's the law written..

"No person shall keep or permit to be kept on his premises any wild or exotic animal as a "pet." Wild or exotic animal means any live non-human primate, raccoon, skunk, wolf, squirrel, fox, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, lynx, or any other warm-blooded animals, poisonous snake, and members of the crocodilian family. "

Illegal... Chesterfield Co, Fairfax Co, City of Manassas, Newport News, Prince William Co, and Spotsylvania County.

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #810268
07/21/09 04:31 PM
07/21/09 04:31 PM

B
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
B

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_ords.php

Virginia

•Arlington – No person may possess venomous snakes within city limits.

•Chesterfield – No person shall keep or permit to be kept on his premises any wild or exotic animal as a "pet." A wild or exotic animal means any monkey, lion, tiger, wolf, or any warm-blooded mammal, poisonous snake, tarantula, other poisonous animal normally found in the wild, or any member of the crocidillian family.

•Fairfax County – No person shall keep or permit to be kept on his premises any wild or exotic animal as a "pet." Wild or exotic animal means any live non-human primate, raccoon, skunk, wolf, squirrel, fox, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, lynx, or any other warm-blooded animals, poisonous snake, and members of the crocodilian family.

•Fredericksburg – It is unlawful for any person to bring into or keep any wild or dangerous animal within city limits. Wild animal shall mean any raccoon, skunk, wolf, wolf-hybrid, squirrel, fox, prairie dog or other similar warm-blooded animal susceptible to rabies.

•Manassas – No person may possess any wild or exotic animal within city limits. Wild or exotic animal means any vertebrate, wild creature and any poisonous invertebrate.

•Manassas Park – No person may possess venomous snakes within city limits.

•Newport News – It is unlawful for any person to keep any nondomestic animal or animals farae naturae as a "pet" within city limits. The term ferae naturae shall mean animals which by nature, are wild.

•Portsmouth – It is unlawful for any person to keep within city limits any elephant, bear, leopard, lion, wolf, or any dangerous or carnivorous wild animal, or any dangerous or poisonous reptiles or serpents.

•Prince William County – No person may possess venomous snakes within city limits.

•Spotsylvania County – No person shall keep or permit to be kept any wild, exotic, or vicious animal. Wild or exotic animal means any live non-human primate, raccoon, skunk, wolf, squirrel, fox, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, lynx, or any other warm-blooded animals, poisonous snake, and members of the crocodilian family.

•Stafford – No person may possess exotic reptiles within city limits. Exotic reptile means any poisonous snake not native to Virginia.

Last edited by BBsuggiesBG; 07/21/09 04:32 PM.
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #810274
07/21/09 04:42 PM
07/21/09 04:42 PM

B
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
B

So "farae naturae" is meaning?

Main Entry:fe·rae na·tu·rae
Function:adjective
Etymology:Latin, of a wild nature
Date:circa 1661

: wild by nature and not usually tamed

So are our gliders wild or tame?

Last edited by BBsuggiesBG; 07/21/09 04:43 PM.
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #810289
07/21/09 05:02 PM
07/21/09 05:02 PM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

•Prince William County – No person may possess venomous snakes within city limits.

My USDA said they are illegal in PW... I'll need to double check!

Last edited by BabyLoveGliders; 07/21/09 05:04 PM.
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #810290
07/21/09 05:03 PM
07/21/09 05:03 PM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

Yes "farae naturae" includes gliders frown

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #810302
07/21/09 05:29 PM
07/21/09 05:29 PM

B
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
B

Interesting enough.

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #810503
07/22/09 03:24 AM
07/22/09 03:24 AM

A
Aleera
Unregistered
Aleera
Unregistered
A

That is interesting because Pocket Pets was selling gliders at Celebrate Fairfax festival..... hmmm. This is a little bizzare.

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #976467
07/16/10 10:41 PM
07/16/10 10:41 PM

N
nicnic63
Unregistered
nicnic63
Unregistered
N

noooo!! and i was soo ready to get my pair of gliders!
i've been getting ready to get them from a breeder in fredricksburg and ugh! to hear this?! it's so unfair!
and by the way, where does potomic mills mall fit into this? i've heard from multiple accounts that there was a stand selling gliders there! tant cry

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #976483
07/16/10 11:18 PM
07/16/10 11:18 PM
Youngstown, Ohio
TheGliderPlayroom Offline
Glider Slave
TheGliderPlayroom  Offline
Glider Slave

Youngstown, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Aleera
That is interesting because Pocket Pets was selling gliders at Celebrate Fairfax festival..... hmmm. This is a little bizzare.

They have also sold them in PA, and they are illegal in the entire state. They don't care, as long as they make their money. shakehead

Helen
The Glider Playroom
PSG/Sugar Glider Database
Vice-President of the NE.O.B.B.C.
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: TheGliderPlayroom] #976722
07/17/10 12:47 PM
07/17/10 12:47 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Yep..they can sell there all they want but look around, because they are supposed to have a sign up that states where they are illegal in that particular state.

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: DCMuffin] #976741
07/17/10 01:51 PM
07/17/10 01:51 PM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

Just to clarify that gliders are not illegal in Newport News Virginia. I know numerous people that own them in Newport News. In Newport News they don't want you taking an animal from the wild there and keeping it as a pet. Every place has different meaning to their "rules". If you have any doubts or questions about an area's "rules" then you should contact them about it and have them explain in detail what they mean.

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #976747
07/17/10 02:06 PM
07/17/10 02:06 PM
Annapolis, MD
Ikeda Offline
Glider Explorer
Ikeda  Offline
Glider Explorer

Annapolis, MD
Anyone notice by the laws mentioned above there could be a case made that dogs and cats are EQUALLY prohibitted? "Warm-blooded mammals" haha! Just like I could equally argue all dogs are exotic as they are not naturally occuring (minus a few wolf breeds). Let's be honest... who cares... Whatever happens in your house happens. Just be sure you have access to food and a vet and you should be ok.

Last edited by DCMuffin; 07/17/10 03:26 PM. Reason: removed portion of post

:grey: Rocky and Winkle's Dad :wfb:

Rocky: (recognizing Boris's voice) That voice. Where have I heard that voice before?

Bullwinkle: In about 365 other episodes. But I don't know who it is either.
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: Ikeda] #976773
07/17/10 02:53 PM
07/17/10 02:53 PM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

Unfortunatly it's true. Because they don't make the laws/rules very specific they can be interpreted in a number of different ways. I also think some places are a little too strict with their laws/rules. But like I said, if you are confused you should do more research and or ask.

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: Ikeda] #976791
07/17/10 03:35 PM
07/17/10 03:35 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Originally Posted By: Ikeda
Anyone notice by the laws mentioned above there could be a case made that dogs and cats are EQUALLY prohibitted? "Warm-blooded mammals" haha! Just like I could equally argue all dogs are exotic as they are not naturally occuring (minus a few wolf breeds). Let's be honest... who cares... Whatever happens in your house happens. Just be sure you have access to food and a vet and you should be ok.

Actually, depending on your area, you have to care. In Fairfax, they are very rigid and you'll find yourself in a lot of trouble if you are found in possession of a glider. People are found out more often than you know. You'd be amazed at how many people care about this sort of thing and turn people in, only because they believe in the letter of the law when it comes to animals. A vet (sadly) can refuse treatment if you are found to be in violation of these laws so not only do you not get your glider treated, they are bound by law to turn you in so they'll take your glider away. Just saying...it does matter a little more than "whatever happens in your home happens"...I've seen people go through heartbreak and would hate for it to happen to others, as well.

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: DCMuffin] #976818
07/17/10 05:05 PM
07/17/10 05:05 PM
Annapolis, MD
Ikeda Offline
Glider Explorer
Ikeda  Offline
Glider Explorer

Annapolis, MD

Sorry Aimee. We have enough problems in the world without people getting involved in my own personal business. I get it though. People need to KNOW what they're getting involved with but I would fight tooth and nail over it. I'm just pig-headed like that.

:grey: Rocky and Winkle's Dad :wfb:

Rocky: (recognizing Boris's voice) That voice. Where have I heard that voice before?

Bullwinkle: In about 365 other episodes. But I don't know who it is either.
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: Ikeda] #976896
07/17/10 09:31 PM
07/17/10 09:31 PM

N
nicnic63
Unregistered
nicnic63
Unregistered
N

this is so sad to hear upset i wanted to get my pair of gliders soon too... is there any way around this. i'll guess not. but what could possibly make fairfax county have a law like this?

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #976907
07/17/10 09:45 PM
07/17/10 09:45 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

No worries, Ike...I know better than to mess with you and little Rocky! LOL

nicnic...I'm sorry, but yes, they are the rules. I'm not sure why Fairfax county has them but they've been established for a long time. No one can tell you that you can't get them, but it can mean serious consequences if you're caught either having them or lying about them. :-( I hate this for people. I'm doing some research into who I can speak with to see if there's any way of getting this changed.

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: DCMuffin] #976914
07/17/10 09:56 PM
07/17/10 09:56 PM

N
nicnic63
Unregistered
nicnic63
Unregistered
N

sigh, alright. well thank you. if there's any change, please send me a message. thanks!

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #977062
07/18/10 07:54 AM
07/18/10 07:54 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I can only assume that you're right in Fairfax?

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: DCMuffin] #977074
07/18/10 09:51 AM
07/18/10 09:51 AM
Northern VA.
GliderGuyVA Offline
Glider Lover
GliderGuyVA  Offline
Glider Lover

Northern VA.
Yes they are illegal in Fairfax County but out of state/county residents can sell them in Fairfax County. The law can be interpeted in many ways so if you live in Fairfax County you need to keep your Gliders under wraps.

I have talked to several County employee's at the shelter/animal control and they do not see many Gliders. When they do receive surrendered Gliders they send them to Loudon County or some other county. They will not uthenize them!

Many people own them in Fairfax County and the Animal Control Officers know about it but do not persue it unless someone calls and complains about your pets. They still have to get a search warrant since they are part of the police dept.

Slave to:
My Wife
Four - Dogs
Two - Cat's
Four - Ferrets
Eight plus - Gliders
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: GliderGuyVA] #977109
07/18/10 12:24 PM
07/18/10 12:24 PM

N
nicnic63
Unregistered
nicnic63
Unregistered
N

that is really tough to hear... and yes i do live in fairfax. i hope this can be changed..

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: ] #977158
07/18/10 02:42 PM
07/18/10 02:42 PM
Northern VA.
GliderGuyVA Offline
Glider Lover
GliderGuyVA  Offline
Glider Lover

Northern VA.
Originally Posted By: nicnic63
that is really tough to hear... and yes i do live in fairfax. i hope this can be changed..

Don't count on it. I do not recomend that you break the law and purchase Gliders. With that being said it's not like they are going from house to house looking for lawbreaking suggie lovers. I'm sure some will get on here and say otherwise but if you should come across some suggies just be sure to keep them out of the public eye.

The law can be interpeted many ways so just be careful and think long and hard before you decide to get your suggies.

Slave to:
My Wife
Four - Dogs
Two - Cat's
Four - Ferrets
Eight plus - Gliders
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: GliderGuyVA] #977240
07/18/10 06:45 PM
07/18/10 06:45 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

GliderGuy, I completely agree with you. I think there are just too many variables here. No, they aren't going to go house to house...but it only takes one time, one person, to mess things up and cause big problems and heartache. I can't imagine having my gliders, bonding, then having a neighbor that wants to be a jerk turn me in and have to re-home them. My heart couldn't take that, nor could my checkbook!

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: DCMuffin] #977247
07/18/10 07:11 PM
07/18/10 07:11 PM
Youngstown, Ohio
TheGliderPlayroom Offline
Glider Slave
TheGliderPlayroom  Offline
Glider Slave

Youngstown, Ohio
People get turned in over the smallest, oddest things. I've heard of one person whose granddaughter mentioned at the grocery store that they were buying food to feed their sugar gliders, and they ended up losing the gliders over it.

My point is, unless you are a fully self-supported loner who lives under a rock, needs absolutely nothing from the outside world, and talks to absolutely no one, you can NEVER be 100% safe from losing your babies while breaking the law. It just isn't worth the risk. The gliders deserve better treatment than that.

Helen
The Glider Playroom
PSG/Sugar Glider Database
Vice-President of the NE.O.B.B.C.
Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: TheGliderPlayroom] #977286
07/18/10 08:46 PM
07/18/10 08:46 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
What you can do is put getting your gliders on hold and start writing letters to the county board of directors and work on getting the laws changed to exclude sugar gliders.

Educate them about sugar gliders. Get reliable information to present to them. Get them to discuss it at a board meeting and go there and present your case with reliable facts.

It is possible that you could get them to amend the law to exclude sugar gliders. Specially if they know that they would not survive a winter in your state.

You can also get people to sign a petition to change the law, just make sure that the people who sign your petition do not have gliders at the time or you will be giving them a hunting list to go after those people.

Good Luck,

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: Feather] #977291
07/18/10 08:54 PM
07/18/10 08:54 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Thanks, Kimberley - Gliders are legal here in Arlington but Fairfax is literally just down the road from me. I've begun assisting the Animal Welfare League here in Arlington as a glider resource (they occasionally have them surrendered to the shelter) and they have given me some info, as well, to try to work on this.

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: DCMuffin] #977305
07/18/10 09:13 PM
07/18/10 09:13 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Wisconsin is legal for sugar gliders, but the city of Madison has them as illegal. They have a blanket ordinance that states all marsupials. As I don't live in the city of Madison it isn't a problem for me.

Animal control has stated that they don't go looking for them, but if they are called in for something else they will give you 30 days to rehome them.

I have considered writing to the city directors and educating them to get sugar gliders exempted from that ordinance. They put it in place because they didn't want people getting wallabies and other large marsupials. Several years ago a wallaby had gotten loose and was on the lam for several days. So they put in a blanket ordinance.

Educating the board of directors is the thing to do. Most of the time when they come up with an ordinance like that they don't want to get to involved in it so they just make it a blanket/generic ordinance by saying all marsupials.....

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: Feather] #977308
07/18/10 09:20 PM
07/18/10 09:20 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Thank you! I'm going to get more research together and see what I can do. I've not looked into it but have been wanting to do this for some time. I'd love to talk with you more if you do decide to write to them and maybe share some information!

Re: Fairfax county Va [Re: DCMuffin] #977388
07/18/10 11:20 PM
07/18/10 11:20 PM

N
nicnic63
Unregistered
nicnic63
Unregistered
N

That's great to hear!
let's hope we can make something out of this and try to find more people to sign a petition or find some good, stone-cold facts clap

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024