Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trio Questions #994289
08/20/10 09:55 AM
08/20/10 09:55 AM
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
B
B3N Offline OP
Joey Member
B3N  Offline OP
Joey Member
B

I've read a lot about breeding in trios. Are trios always 2 females and a male?

Currently I have a neutered male and a female. I want to introduce a leucistic intact male to breed with Selene and make 100% Leu/Hets. Will I need to worry about Helios with this process?

After the 100% Leu/Het has matured some, I intend to add a second leucistic of the opposite gender so I can start getting cute little leucistic joeys because I want to breed that color specifically. Will there be a need for separation of the original two/three?

Advice is greatly appreciated. I won't be doing this for a while yet as my other posts state but I want as much information as I can find.

The female is a standard grey. I received her from Suncoast. I could not get a specific lineage on her but from what I hear, Suncoast has a great track record, they just don't keep lineage tabs on anything other than their colored gliders...

Again, any help is very appreciated!

I guess another question to ask would be how to make sure to list myself as a breeder? Do I post on a site or what? USDA is not regulated here in Indiana, so I was unsure of the best venue to use.

Last edited by B3N; 08/20/10 10:39 AM.

Benjamin K.
Suggie Lover

"Even the dawn has trouble hiding the stars; shine for all you're worth." - Me

"My Patronus is a Sugar Glider!" - Me

"Step one is moving. It doesn't really matter how you move. What matters is that you do." - Unknown
Re: Trio Questions [Re: B3N] #994313
08/20/10 10:40 AM
08/20/10 10:40 AM
Northwest Missouri
Chris_R Offline
Glider Explorer
Chris_R  Offline
Glider Explorer

Northwest Missouri
The female is standard grey? You must have leu on both sides to produce leus...otherwise all you will get is hets for leu

The reason why 2 intact males to one female doesnt work is because when she comes into heat ...they will both try to mate her, fight over her etc etc

Re: Trio Questions [Re: Chris_R] #994317
08/20/10 10:51 AM
08/20/10 10:51 AM
WI
Jessica Offline
Glider Guardian
Jessica  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
I would suggest not breeding leu to leu. I think that if you add a intacted male in with a female and neuted male it sould be fine.

You would not just throw him in through, you would have to go through the bonding process so they all bond with each other so there is no fighting.

I have a trio of 2 females that are 100% leu het and one male that is 50% leu het. I have only had three joeys and they were only het. But you never know. I know leus are cute and all. But Please DO NOT breed leu to leu.

All joeys are so very cute! I love the different colors but i do not beleive that is the best about a joey. Everything about one is special and so sweet and cute!

Maybe just get one lue to a lue het and go from there.

Good luck on everything!

Re: Trio Questions [Re: Chris_R] #994318
08/20/10 10:52 AM
08/20/10 10:52 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Yes you can have a trio with female and neutered and intact males, ONLY 1 intact male.

Waiting to intro another female into a breeding cage may be harder, females in trios or quads are very often twin sisters or they are put together as babies and raised together. Introing another female later can cause problems with stealing joeys.

If you are planning to breed leu, I personally advise having proper lineage. The leu lines are just getting cleaned and straightened out after many years of breeders working hard to do just that, without lineage there is NO way for you to really know who you are breeding to whom and this type breeding can result in health and genetic problems into a line that doesn't need it.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Trio Questions [Re: Chris_R] #994320
08/20/10 10:58 AM
08/20/10 10:58 AM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
one thing i did notice is your female glider has no lineage therefore should not be bred ...

sometimes reverse trios work out with one neutered male and one not and a female? ( from what ive been told...i have never tried as we do pairs only here now)

i have had the worst luck with trios on two separate occasions and experiences. I won't do them myself and prolly have a shadow over my head from the babies i lost and the harm caused to both moms, so i personally would recommend pairs if you can. thats not to say yours wont work out as a lot do have success and a lot don't. I think if this is first time breeding, you need to try pairs first before jumping into trios. you also need to have lineage that is a good pairing on both gliders in the pair. it a huge MUST.

please put the unlineaged female in with a neutered male only as a pair..

one last thing, introducing a glider to an already bonded pair is an even bigger risk imo.

smile

Re: Trio Questions [Re: Chris_R] #994322
08/20/10 11:00 AM
08/20/10 11:00 AM

C
Chelsie
Unregistered
Chelsie
Unregistered
C

I have a successful breeding trio. 2 males and a female. The older boy is neutered. When I introduced the intact male he was just a baby. It gave the trio time to bond before ever breeding.

I have tried this before with another set of gliders and although one boy was neutered it was not successful. Both boys would fight over the female when she came into heat.

You just have to be prepared for anything. It does not always work.

Re: Trio Questions [Re: ] #994333
08/20/10 11:06 AM
08/20/10 11:06 AM
B
B3N Offline OP
Joey Member
B3N  Offline OP
Joey Member
B

From the sounds of it, I should allow Selene to stay with Helios and not breed her. I had no intention of breeding Leu to Leu. When I got the second Leu, he/she would have bred with the joey born from Selene and the Leu I intended to buy first as her mate.

Maybe it would just be easier to get a 100% Leu/Het and then a Leucistic where I can trace their lineages to make sure they are unrelated. Either way, I think starting this breeding "venture" so to speak will cost me a pretty penny. That's okay though, everyone needs a hobby and I sure love these little critters.

Benjamin K.
Suggie Lover

"Step one is moving. It doesn't really matter how you move. What matters is that you do." - Unknown
Re: Trio Questions [Re: B3N] #994345
08/20/10 11:12 AM
08/20/10 11:12 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Yes the purchase of a breeding pair with good lineages is very important, and yes the safest way is to keep your pairs in pairs, introing later always carries risk.

I agree Selene should not be bred and yes this is a very expensive and addictive hobby.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Trio Questions [Re: Trigger] #994368
08/20/10 11:49 AM
08/20/10 11:49 AM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
agree thumb

Re: Trio Questions [Re: B3N] #994388
08/20/10 12:21 PM
08/20/10 12:21 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Originally Posted By: B3N

Maybe it would just be easier to get a 100% Leu/Het and then a Leucistic where I can trace their lineages to make sure they are unrelated.

I think this is a great idea. If you are really serious about breeding having good lineage is so important. You would have a very hard time selling joeys from poor/no lineage, especially when breeding for color. It also eliminates the risk you are taking doing the reverse trio. Good luck! Breeding is a lot of work, but if you are dedicated to doing it right it is very rewarding.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Trio Questions [Re: SugareeErin] #994395
08/20/10 12:37 PM
08/20/10 12:37 PM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
I dont have any experience in this field, but I am doing tons of research as well. From what Ive read, breeding trios often work out best with 2 females and a male, with the females either being twins or introduced at a very young age so they have time to bond to each other. This still does not insure there will be any joey snatching or fights in general. Good job doing your research though! I also wanted to breed for leus, (I have a 100% leu het) however I am finding it very difficult to find a leu mate that would give me joeys with a low COI% that I was comfortable with. Make sure you have lineage on any and all breeding gliders, and the more generations that are known in the lineage the better, but you at least want your gliders parents and grandparents listed. There are a bunch of awsome breeders on here that are more thn happy to help you find a good breeding pair/mate! Good luck and happy researching! smile

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Violet, Lavender & Indigo
Amaretto & Bailey
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :plat: :leu:
Re: Trio Questions [Re: Kayla] #994948
08/21/10 02:51 PM
08/21/10 02:51 PM

J
JamieInWA
Unregistered
JamieInWA
Unregistered
J

I agree that your female should not be bred because she doesn't have a lineage. If you want to breed for leu eventually, then I would start with two NEW gliders with a good lineage. I would find a mentor of sorts that can help you with looking at lineages and choosing the pair. I would avoid a trio since so many of them go wrong. If you decide you want to do a trio, then I would get twin sisters and then add a male in later. Just keep in mind that you may need to separate the trio if it goes bad. Have a joey rejection kit on hand: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/helpforrejectedjoeys.htm

In the meantime, enjoy your current pair of gliders and do lots of reading up on breeding, lineages, and rejected joeys.

read

Re: Trio Questions [Re: B3N] #995703
08/23/10 02:06 PM
08/23/10 02:06 PM
B
B3N Offline OP
Joey Member
B3N  Offline OP
Joey Member
B

So I want a low COI...is my BEST option to get 2 100%Leu/Hets to REDUCE the chance of inbreeding and this will help with breeding out? Breeding out, that term has confused me for a while now...

Benjamin K.
Suggie Lover

Re: Trio Questions [Re: B3N] #995742
08/23/10 03:58 PM
08/23/10 03:58 PM

J
JamieInWA
Unregistered
JamieInWA
Unregistered
J

Two leu hets will not reduce the chance of inbreeding and will not be breeding out. There are only a few leu lines and hets are also from those lines. You need to be careful because a lot of the lineages are muddy and have a lot of inbreeding. Breeding out would be a leu paired with a classic grey. This will not produce any leus but all babies would be hets and the classic grey (needs an unrelated lineage) will help to breed out that leu line. I would highly suggest talking with a leu breeder for more details and tips on choosing a pair. People do breed leu to let hets and also leu hets to leu hets. I don't see any difference in the two since they are from the same lines, you just need to be really picky about the pairing and check both lineages all the way back.

Re: Trio Questions [Re: B3N] #995859
08/23/10 08:10 PM
08/23/10 08:10 PM
B
B3N Offline OP
Joey Member
B3N  Offline OP
Joey Member
B

So maybe I should just get a Leucistic as a pet and maybe get a standard grey later whose lineage is known...I want to be as responsible as possible. I just really wanted to have a Leucistic raised through birth but if it will create more complications doing so...well I don't want to be a cause of that...

Benjamin K.
Suggie Lover

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024