Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? #1053291
01/10/11 05:20 PM
01/10/11 05:20 PM
Colorado
Catman Offline OP
Glider Explorer
Catman  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Colorado
I'm just looking for information and facts about sugar gliders dieing from getting wet.

1 son
1 wife
5 Cats
2 dogs Twiggy and spot
6 sugargliders:Ray,Cinnamon,Nick,Holly,jasmine,and bella
3 rescued gliders with no names
1 corn snake
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1053296
01/10/11 05:43 PM
01/10/11 05:43 PM
atkins arkansas
eterrell84 Offline
Glider Addict
eterrell84  Offline
Glider Addict

atkins arkansas
no they wont die from getting wet. i think i know why your asking, but its VERY stressful. they dont need a bath, they clean themselves... incase thats why your asking.

~ERIN~ momma to:ceasar(boxer),Chili(pug),Badcat(black cat) and Juliette(ragamuffin)~Apple:grey:and Archer:grey:and George Micheal:grey:Maybe:grey:and Jasper :wfb:,husband Jordan and daughter Azlyn!heart
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1053298
01/10/11 05:44 PM
01/10/11 05:44 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

This is not a simple black and white question.

Getting wet in and of itself will not kill a glider.

BUT

Getting wet and getting chilled, which can lower their body temperature can cause them to go into shock and yes, die.

Getting wet and getting chilled can compromise their immune system and cause them to get ill and yes, die.

Getting them wet and leaving them that way can cause them to stress and stress will compromise their immune system which can make them very ill and yes, die.

Aspirating water (which can easily happen when they are getting wet) can lead to pneumonia and respiratory infection can cause death.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Dancing] #1053307
01/10/11 06:07 PM
01/10/11 06:07 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing

BUT

Getting wet and getting chilled, which can lower their body temperature can cause them to go into shock and yes, die.

Getting wet and getting chilled can compromise their immune system and cause them to get ill and yes, die.

Getting them wet and leaving them that way can cause them to stress and stress will compromise their immune system which can make them very ill and yes, die.

Aspirating water (which can easily happen when they are getting wet) can lead to pneumonia and respiratory infection can cause death.

With all do respect, disagree with this. Simply getting a glider wet will not cause death. Any animal or human that is wet in extreme cold can suffer and perhaps die. However under normal circumstances and in normal temperatures, none of that stuff will happen. I have heard of some gliders that enjoy getting wet and I have personally found occasions where I bathed gliders. All seem to thrived afterward.

Also most medical experts seem to agree that long term stress can cause health problems, however I've never heard of short term stress causing medical issues. Actually I've read where light short term stress can be beneficial to captive animals

Last edited by hushpuppy; 01/10/11 06:11 PM.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1053328
01/10/11 06:56 PM
01/10/11 06:56 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I don't understand what you are disagreeing to?

Quote:

BUT

With each of those possibilities I posted "CAN", not WILL DEFINATELY.

This is why I said
Quote:

Because there is no simple black and white answer.

Quote:
I've never heard of short term stress causing medical issues.

I have seen and experienced this. Some gliders do not handle even short term stress well at all. I've had gliders stress to the point of illness just in a short trip to the vet. Their immune systems are to fragile to start with and the stress CAN cause it to lower even more causing them to become ill. Lower immune system can allow bacteria and parasites that normally would not effect a glider (or any animal) to become more active and more than the glider can withstand. Again, this is SOME gliders not ALL gliders.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1053331
01/10/11 07:01 PM
01/10/11 07:01 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Loaded question, but... no, under normal situations getting your glider wet will not kill them.

I had a horrible incident when a joey got stuck in a glue trap. It was at my MIL's house, neat as a pin and been there thousands of times. One of my first joeys jumped off me and scampered across the carpet, I was not worried.

He jumped playfully under the bed. Still not worried.

Then peeked under the bed to see where he was... all I can see was a glue trap (I had no idea she need one).

By the time I threw myself to the other side of the bed... he was very very stuck.

Well, warm water, carful removal and a few out of fear bites later, all was well. I did have to use warm soapy water to get the bits of glue off of his fur. He was covered from head to tail in water by the time it was done.

I dryed him well and stuck him in a dry pouch in my shirt. Then later changed to another dry pouch until I was satisfied he was warm, dry and fluffy.

He did not suffer from the water (glue trap... maybe). But he did not die and you couldn't have gotten him any more wet than I did.

So can you get them wet? Yes. But it depends on how you do it.

Leaving a glider wet is never suggested.

Alicia aka Queenduck, Bentley's Nana

We need role models who are going to break the mold ~ Carly Simon
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1054097
01/12/11 03:37 PM
01/12/11 03:37 PM

H
Habibti812
Unregistered
Habibti812
Unregistered
H

I've also read they drown VERY easily, so I'd imagine it's not the greatest idea to have them near water for a bath or anything like that.

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1054465
01/13/11 03:30 AM
01/13/11 03:30 AM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
A long time ago when I was first learning of gliders, a friend bought me a newly weaned joey. I did not have a glider it's own age to put it with. The only other gliders I had at the time, were adults. From the moment she came to my house, she was stressed. I went anywhere near her cage, she was totally F R E A K I N G out.

Within 48 hours of her arriving, she was dead. vet necropsy said she died of a stress induced heart attack.

She was healthy otherwise. No parasites, and she had been weaned on to BML diet.

Yes. Gliders can die of short term stress related problems.

She became my poster child for never keeping a glider alone.

Last edited by Marsupial_Mayhem; 01/13/11 03:35 AM.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1057497
01/19/11 02:19 PM
01/19/11 02:19 PM
Indiana, USA
Rubym Offline
Glider Lover
Rubym  Offline
Glider Lover

Indiana, USA
I have never gotten my gliders wet but I did have the boys in their bonding pouch one day and I happened to turnon the faucet and they both became very upset. I dont think they liked the sound of the running water and I am careful not to turn on the water when I am wearing them...I dont want to stress them out

Ruby
www.rubyssuggieshak.weebly.com
fur babies Baka :grey: Manu :grey: :bb: Adara and Neera
, leopard, crested and gargoyle geckos,a rotten beagle ( Beauregard), a rotten english bulldaog puppy( oREN), 1 blood python, 1 redtail boa, 1 argentine boa and 3 corns
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1057647
01/19/11 09:18 PM
01/19/11 09:18 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
I have to bathe Spencer on a routine basis, its done quickly in a warm room and then I dry him with a towel, then he stays in my bra the rest of the day or in a bonding pouch under my shirt where he is toasty! So I know you can get them wet. I also have had to bathe other ill gliders using same technique as above.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1058664
01/21/11 07:27 PM
01/21/11 07:27 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Dakota swam across two sinks of water when he was younger. It was not on purpose, he jumped into one, swam across, climbed out and jumped into the next and swam across and climbed out again. He was a very good (and fast) little swimmer. I dried him off and kept him close to me until he was dry and he was just fine. thumb

I know of a couple of gliders that like to take showers with their owners. It is not something I do, but I know one of them actually put a bar up in their shower just for their glider. The glider jumps to their shoulder, plays in the spray and jumps back to their bar away from it. It goes back and forth several times. When the shower is over, he dries her off and keeps her in his shirt until she's dry.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1058706
01/21/11 09:03 PM
01/21/11 09:03 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
I had one of my gliders jump into a pail of soapy water when I was cleaning their avairy... I thought I had taken them all out of the cage first... missed him thou. He sank like a rock, scared me to death as I scooped him out... since then I need to keep him away from all water because he LOVES it. He hiccupped bubbles for abit and I dried him completely in a towel and kept him in my shirt.

Personally I dont want my gliders getting wet so I dont let them. But in my experience there was no ill effect from being wet.

As for stress most of my gliders can handle it for short periods(tornado's etc) I do have one glider thou that gets very ill if she is stressed at all... She does have a weakened immune system due to other medical issues, my vet told me I am to paranoid and they are not as fragile as people think. So I try not to freak out at every little stunt they pull now.

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1062198
01/28/11 06:10 PM
01/28/11 06:10 PM

H
Holydust
Unregistered
Holydust
Unregistered
H

I'm with Teresa. She said "can", not "will". And I would not gamble with the idea that short-term stress is a good thing, especially when there are plenty of cases to support the idea that a glider can easily suffer a rapid decline in health following such -- especially if water is involved.

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1071358
02/13/11 03:18 PM
02/13/11 03:18 PM
Dutchess County, NY
Biscuit Offline
Glider Guardian
Biscuit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Dutchess County, NY
Getting a sugar glider wet will NOT kill them. Yes, it will stress them out and you will most likely get very scratched up.

I always refer back to their natural environment. Austraila, New Zealand, Indonesia.... Rain happens.

So, they won't die. But, as I said, it's stressful for the lil tykes. I tried a bath with them, and it was tough. Never again! LOL!

~ Laurie ~
Mother to

:wfb: Topanga, :grey: Biscuit, Toby, :leu: Thor & :plat: Akiah [Kiah]

www.lauriessugglettes.weebly.com

gangel My Lost Loves, Rascal, March 30, 2012, Bugaboo, Sept 7, 2012 & Momma, Feb 27, 2013

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1071592
02/13/11 11:23 PM
02/13/11 11:23 PM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
I also think I know why you're asking (ugh), and I agree with Teresa. Every glider is different. There are some gliders who don't mind or even enjoy water. However, if water DOES stress them out or if they DO by chance aspirate it, you COULD have problems on your hands...not WILL, but rather COULD. To me, it's not worth the risk of A) them suffering, B) them being stressed out, C) high vet bills to cure or treat something as a result of water. Gliders groom themselves to clean themselves, they don't get into water to do it. JMO...

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1077594
02/26/11 12:13 AM
02/26/11 12:13 AM

S
StarlightGliders
Unregistered
StarlightGliders
Unregistered
S

I had a rejected joey that used to get a bath after every time she ate. She was the messiest eater I've ever seen! So long as they aren't left near open water they couldn't get out of (ie the toilet)and are give supervised 'baths' and then dried and kept warm there should be no problem. As said in other threads, they can control their own body temperatures as adults but you don't want them to get chilled.

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Biscuit] #1077615
02/26/11 01:36 AM
02/26/11 01:36 AM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Biscuit

I always refer back to their natural environment. Austraila, New Zealand, Indonesia.... Rain happens.

Just a quick correction here and totally off topic smile Gliders are not native to New Zealand.

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1077632
02/26/11 04:14 AM
02/26/11 04:14 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I think we need to remember here, as many have suggested, that every glider is an individual. Some may like it, some may not.

As Marz suggested, look at their native habitat.

Is there a risk to it? Obviously, as many members have sited examples of what can POSSIBLY happen.

Water is not toxic. But the EFFECTS of EXPOSURE to it can have undesirable consequences.

I am sure in their native habitat there are gliders that hide when it rains, and gliders that still venture forth when it rains. Just like with all the cats I have owned, most hated the rain, 2 loved it and would sit in the rain)

Can gliders drown easily? YES

Take all safety precautions when gliders and water are involved? YES

Do gliders need a bath? NO unless they ended up in something really messy and dangerous for them to clean off themselves.

Do some gliders like water and some fear it? YES

Should FEAR of water be used to induce a favored behavior? MY opinion only here...NO

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: JillMarie] #1077637
02/26/11 04:27 AM
02/26/11 04:27 AM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: JillMarie
As Marz suggested, look at their native habitat.

Oh no I was not weighing in on this debate at all...was just commenting that gliders are not native to New Zealand. Someone else mentioned looking at their native habitat

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1077640
02/26/11 05:05 AM
02/26/11 05:05 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
ooops! I see it was Biscuit.

havent had my full cup of coffee...

Last edited by JillMarie; 02/26/11 05:05 AM.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1085965
03/17/11 02:54 AM
03/17/11 02:54 AM
st. Louis
A
alexyasha Offline
Out of Pouch
alexyasha  Offline
Out of Pouch
A

st. Louis
i heard that the biggest cause of death to sugar gliders is they get out and jump into the toilet because they usually can't swim due to their 'wings' getting heavy and drowning them.

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1086004
03/17/11 04:25 AM
03/17/11 04:25 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Not so. Gliders swim very well, but they get tired easily and need a way out. Of every incident of drowning *I* have heard in regards to gliders, each and every one was because they couldn't get out because the side was too steep and slick.

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1086300
03/17/11 09:11 PM
03/17/11 09:11 PM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Megs is right on that one....

Jess

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1086821
03/18/11 09:52 PM
03/18/11 09:52 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Connie is an advocate of toilet ladders. Specially when there are people in the house that can't remember to put the lid down when they are done.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1086945
03/19/11 03:10 AM
03/19/11 03:10 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I put the pic that Suz has on her site of the lil glider with a lifejacket that also reads: Remember... Gliders don't float. Close the lid! Some may think me to be overboard. Maybe I am. But I love my furries just too darned much to risk it.

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1086947
03/19/11 03:14 AM
03/19/11 03:14 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Agreed, I have these stickers on every single loo.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1086957
03/19/11 03:48 AM
03/19/11 03:48 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Those are cute Liezl!

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1086960
03/19/11 03:54 AM
03/19/11 03:54 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
smile

Casper & Liezl

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1087294
03/19/11 10:48 PM
03/19/11 10:48 PM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Liezl, such cute signs!!!!

Jess

Re: Getting a sugar glider wet will kill them? [Re: Catman] #1087455
03/20/11 08:13 AM
03/20/11 08:13 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
off_topic smile

Thanks Jess.

Casper & Liezl

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024