Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. #870093
11/21/09 01:10 PM
11/21/09 01:10 PM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I was wondering about this. Where did this myth come from?

I was thinking that maybe it's because as gliders age, their owners lose interest and don't play with them as much, so they end up becoming unfamiliar with people, giving the illusion that older gliders are harder to bond with than joeys.

I personally think that it ALL depends on 1) the glider's personality, and 2) how often the owner/breeder before handled them.

What are your opinions?

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #870096
11/21/09 01:14 PM
11/21/09 01:14 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

That MYTH came from the mill breeders trying to make a sale. They want to be able to move their "products" as quickly as possible, as young as possible so they don't have to spend the money feeding and housing them until they are appropriate ages.

IT IS BUNK!

All of the most bonded gliders I've ever had came to me as ADULT gliders.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: Dancing] #870098
11/21/09 01:19 PM
11/21/09 01:19 PM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
Didn't even think about that, but it makes perfect sense. I've seen on several websites (not reputable) that the joeys MUST GO before 9 weeks old otherwise they wouldn't bond to their new owners. frown

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #870105
11/21/09 01:33 PM
11/21/09 01:33 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Pure hogwash roflmao

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: KarenE] #870107
11/21/09 01:42 PM
11/21/09 01:42 PM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline OP
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I already knew that. Just curious of how it came about. tounge

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #870112
11/21/09 01:55 PM
11/21/09 01:55 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
All gliders are different with different personalities just like humans. You have to be willing to put in whatever work is necessary. Some talk a little, others take more.

As an example, I had joeys born here years ago. They were both as sweet as they could be, and when the time came I had the male joey neutered along with dad so they could live as a family. Things went along fine until they joeys reached about a year, maybe a little younger, when suddenly Margaret decided she had no use for the human race unless it was to bring her food and clean the cage. Otherwise, do not even look in her direction.

I tried and tried to no avail and finally let her alone with her family just letting her watch. Finally at around age 3, she gave in and decided this ole gal wasn't so bad.

Margaret and her brother are now nearing 10. She's as sweet as can be, but I do notice she goes to the back of the rept when she hears my granddaughter's voice which isn't often. They've never come in contact. Her brother will come right to the front but not Margaret.

They are all different.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: KarenE] #870121
11/21/09 02:25 PM
11/21/09 02:25 PM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

Sometimes I wonder how people can even believe this garbage they hear!
Pretty much any animal, given the love, care and attention, will make a great pet. I know there are certain circumstances where this doesn't apply. But for the most part age makes no difference!

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: ] #871011
11/23/09 07:26 AM
11/23/09 07:26 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
When I got my Pika & Cricky, they were about 9 years old. Pika was a very shy glider who was frightened of humans. Cricky, in protectiveness of Pika, was a "pit bull biter" who was the best glider at playing possum I've ever seen - he would freeze for up to an hour inside his cage if someone walked into the room. Within a year of them coming to live with us, he no longer played possum and didn't ever bite again. Pika became a sweet, social hoodie snuggling glider. I had them for a total of four years before they passed over the Rainbow Bridge. I hate to think what I would have missed out on if I hadn't taken the time to be patient, loving and consistent with them just because they were no longer joeys when I got them...

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: sugarglidersuz] #872875
11/25/09 08:15 PM
11/25/09 08:15 PM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
I have heard this for just about every small animal (and even larger) I've had--rats, hamsters, mice, gerbils--you name it and the general consensus was "get them while they are young or else they will never bond to you/be as friendly to you as an adult." IMO it probably stemmed from experience of working with the imprinting of baby animals versus forming a bond with an adult..an adult is an already established creature who may or may not have had the ideal human contact and stimulation as an adopted baby.

When adopting a young animal you are in control of how that animal grows up and interacts with you so you have the chance right from the start to "custom create" your "perfect pet" versus having to possibly "undo" any unwanted or different behavior and then retrain that adult animal to interact as you want it to (which usually takes longer, requires more work or patience and as said with marketing ploys customers don't want to buy a "high maintenance" pet, they want one that their kid can handle as quick as possible with as little hassle as possible.) Some never will bond as closely as you want just as some baby animals for whatever reason never become snugglebuddies or bra babies. By buying a younger animal the chances of you having the type of pet interaction YOU want is much higher because baby animals are more impressionable and often have not completed the interaction/learning stage yet (LOL I totally lost the words I meant to say here..hope that gets it across) and so are easily plied into performing the behavior you want.

Myth false then, gliders WILL bond at any age but younger animals are easier to bond to because they are still growing, adult animals may take longer or never fully bond simply because you were not there during the crucial interaction period of its' life and it may not have learned to accept human interaction as a hand-tamed baby has.

Sabarika
Photography
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: Sabarika] #872900
11/25/09 08:49 PM
11/25/09 08:49 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sabrinka, again, I have to disagree. Any "baby imprinting) is done at a day or two oop, not at 6+ weeks oop. I've had joeys come to me at 8-10 weeks oop that STILL, 4 years later HATE me. They want nothing to do with me. It all has to do with how the joeys are handled by the breeder when they are little. And even then sometimes, they are just not going to easily bond with a human.

I've had older adults willing to trust me in a matter of days. Adults that were neglected and/or abused in their former homes.

The exception to this I believe is the cases where joeys have had to be pulled from their mothers before they are weened and hand raised. Those WILL form a strong bond with their human mom. They have to to survive. But even being raised by a human mom (or dad), they loose so much from being raised by their natural parents. Joeys should never be pulled from their moms until weened (unless she is rejecting and the joey's life is at stake)

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: Sabarika] #872902
11/25/09 08:51 PM
11/25/09 08:51 PM
Indiana
Zeki Offline
Glider Explorer
Zeki  Offline
Glider Explorer

Indiana
It is real Easy.. it's all got to deal with How Much TLC you give to the glider, Daily... Age, nor Male or Female, etc Matters its the Love..you provide to them...
(My personal Opinion)

Our Little {Squirt} Male Glider {Jerboa} Female Glider
Our Little {Honey} Female Glider { Misant} Male Glider
Our Little {Rosie} Dog
Our Jack Russel {Page}
Cat, Blade 10-6-2009 R.I.P
Our little {Vlad} Male Rescue Glider who took our heart, We Miss you so Much. 10-20-2009 R.I.P

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: Dancing] #872921
11/25/09 09:34 PM
11/25/09 09:34 PM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Sabrinka, again, I have to disagree. Any "baby imprinting) is done at a day or two oop, not at 6+ weeks oop. I've had joeys come to me at 8-10 weeks oop that STILL, 4 years later HATE me. They want nothing to do with me. It all has to do with how the joeys are handled by the breeder when they are little. And even then sometimes, they are just not going to easily bond with a human.)

You make a lot of sense, I was going only on what I remembered as a kid/adolescent learning from really outdated books and/or breeders back then, I should have put a disclaimer. smile Thanks for the notation! I don't know very well the interaction age/phase for gliders, I do know with dogs that the "critical period" is before they can be weaned, so that makes sense they wouldn't be going through this ad adoption time. I do agree with you that gliders pulled from their mothers to be hand-raised seem like they will bond closer simply due to circumstance but I guess every joey is different. I've simply heard the "get them while they're young" thing is based on my thread description..I was told/read that it's because you basically get a "clean slate" pet unlike an adult who has lived its' life outside of your handling and thus takes longer to bond or "may never" bond.

I still feel that the thread title IS a myth/false statement since it's been proven through many owners that gliders will not ONLY bond to you if gotten young. :3

Sabarika
Photography
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #872962
11/25/09 11:18 PM
11/25/09 11:18 PM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

Not true - you can rescue a really unfriendly glider and with time and patience that glider should bond to you since you are his/her main care giver - This is only opinion but I do believe I'm right

Sue
owned by

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: ] #876562
12/04/09 12:37 AM
12/04/09 12:37 AM
Fort Wayne, Indiana
tlkngfethrs1 Offline
Glider Lover
tlkngfethrs1  Offline
Glider Lover

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Quote:
Not true - you can rescue a really unfriendly glider and with time and patience that glider should bond to you since you are his/her main care giver - This is only opinion but I do believe I'm right

I have found this to be true.. it's a long hard road but I am doing the time and love thing as we speak!
I guess I should not say that but My Zo has still got a lot of work ahead of her..

I have had her about a year now and has made leaps and bounds!! it has been since before the SGGA since I have been bit by her!! dance
She has gone from a travel from one side of the cage to draw blood bite you to taking treats from my hand in tent time while sitting on my knee!!!
and four of my eight came to me as adults(3+ years old) and I have had no trouble bonding with any of them.

:bb: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :cream: :wt: :lion:
Vet tech, Hobby breeder and slave to many fuzz butts of all kinds!

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: tlkngfethrs1] #893463
01/15/10 04:44 PM
01/15/10 04:44 PM

C
cieran
Unregistered
cieran
Unregistered
C

ya that's crazy talk.

my salem was two when i got him bout a month ago, and i took him out the first night i had him, he was raised tame...
now he sits in my hood all day...doesn't really like to be apart from me...

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #912497
02/26/10 06:38 PM
02/26/10 06:38 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Originally Posted By: konotashi
I was wondering about this. Where did this myth come from?

I was thinking that maybe it's because as gliders age, their owners lose interest and don't play with them as much, so they end up becoming unfamiliar with people, giving the illusion that older gliders are harder to bond with than joeys.

I personally think that it ALL depends on 1) the glider's personality, and 2) how often the owner/breeder before handled them.

What are your opinions?

More than likely, it was pet stores or mill breeders. Although it sometimes takes longer to bond with adults (especially when they have come from an abusive home), I have seen a couple of babies that were hard nuts to crack. I think some of it depends on personality.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: ] #1088485
03/22/11 12:40 AM
03/22/11 12:40 AM
usa
T
tournesoul Offline
Glider Guardian
tournesoul  Offline
Glider Guardian
T

usa
Originally Posted By: NavyChiefWife
Sometimes I wonder how people can even believe this garbage they hear!
Pretty much any animal, given the love, care and attention, will make a great pet. I know there are certain circumstances where this doesn't apply. But for the most part age makes no difference!

I agree. I have hermit crabs (long story) Yes, upstate NY and they seem to know MY voice! and I swear they are grateful!!! They havent ever pinched me and they are actually kind of cool.

Truth be told, my eleven yr old wanted them to begin with and then got scared of them. I thought they would be simple little inexpensive friends - what with the info they provide you - not all that dissimilar to (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets. We were on vacation. Well I ended up spending well over $200 on some crabs and filling up the car for our return trip to upstate NY! Long story. It just made me think of this with your comment on ANy animal being a good pet!
I am so happy to have found this site for all the info AND for meeting all of you true animal people!! Often times people CLAIm they are dog or animal or whatever people and then you find they feed... or tie their dog up all day or ... My dog gets only the best! As it should be!! And so will my gliders when I finally get some!! Anyhow, this is SUCH AN AMAZING PLACE!! Thank you for being here smile smile smile

Last edited by tournesoul; 03/23/11 12:24 PM.
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1088630
03/22/11 10:59 AM
03/22/11 10:59 AM
North Dakota
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave
kjgoulet  Offline
Glider Slave

North Dakota
I think it's just all about the glider and what they finally decide. Baby Face wasn't handled much before she went to her previous owner. Now that she's come to me she's starting to get more and more trusting of humans. bonding time is rather funny cause she tends to crab if the pouch moves but in the cage she's come a lot closer than when she first came home.

I'm sure the time when they are joeys plays a big part in how much they'll trust people but not everything.

Kristi

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo:
And my many fuzzy children <3
www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: KarenE] #1129945
06/14/11 03:22 PM
06/14/11 03:22 PM
SE Michigan
VanessaNichole Offline
Glider Guardian
VanessaNichole  Offline
Glider Guardian

SE Michigan
Karen you mentioned that you have older gliders approaching 10 yrs old. Out of curiousity, what diet do you have them on?

Vanessa, Monroe MI

Lilo • 66% Leu het (10.16.10 - present)
Miles • WF 100% Cremino het (1.13.14 - present)
Stitch • RIP <3 (8.19.10 - 11.19.13)
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: ] #1129965
06/14/11 03:54 PM
06/14/11 03:54 PM
Inman, SC
J
Johannasgliders Offline
Glider Slave
Johannasgliders  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Inman, SC
[quote]
Originally Posted By: Beezer

Sue I agree with you.

I've had several rescues. Helped them through their hard times and they became loving gliders that are in forever homes. I also, had a couple of boys that I worked with for almost 2 years. Tried to rehome them but, they were brought back. Outside of their room and away from me they became stressed and very afraid. The new Mom took them on a little outing to see how they would be with her. She had been visiting them. They crabbed for almost an hour till she brought them home. I told my boys we wouldn't do that again. So, they do love you even when you think they pay you no attention.

mlove

"While I Breath, I Hope."

Johanna
Johanna's Gliders and Rescue
Gliders and Designs by Johanna
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1131681
06/17/11 06:11 PM
06/17/11 06:11 PM
NC
C
carolinasuggies Offline
Glider Guardian
carolinasuggies  Offline
Glider Guardian
C

NC
I have to agree that statement is false glider's will bond at any age with proper time and devotion!

Mommy to my kid's & slave to my suggies

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1131716
06/17/11 07:42 PM
06/17/11 07:42 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

My sweet Dexter was an "adult" when he came to live with me. About 2 yrs old. He was here with me 12 1/2 years (give or take).

Anyone that tells anyone else that adult gliders won't bond, they simply know NOTHING about the unique nature of these wonderful animals.

620-704-9109

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1131736
06/17/11 08:22 PM
06/17/11 08:22 PM

M
meganelizabeth
Unregistered
meganelizabeth
Unregistered
M

i absolutely disagree, i wont lie i was definitely fed that lie when i was getting my first baby but i have definitely learned better!

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1131749
06/17/11 09:19 PM
06/17/11 09:19 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Not True!!!!!!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1132367
06/19/11 12:59 AM
06/19/11 12:59 AM
North Dakota
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave
kjgoulet  Offline
Glider Slave

North Dakota
Totally not true smile Just wanted to update that out of everyone my older boy, Casanova, is one of the most bonded at 6 years old <3 his sister is right there with him lol! To be honest the young ones are less interested in hanging out on me and more on running around tounge

Kristi

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo:
And my many fuzzy children <3
www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1132378
06/19/11 01:12 AM
06/19/11 01:12 AM

M
moberry88
Unregistered
moberry88
Unregistered
M

Glad to hear that they bond with adults just as well likw joeys. I've always heard they bond when they are joeys

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1132405
06/19/11 02:07 AM
06/19/11 02:07 AM

M
meganelizabeth
Unregistered
meganelizabeth
Unregistered
M

Yea moeberry88 people will tell you that all over the place but it is definitely untrue! These boogers are always lookin for love smile

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1139400
07/03/11 10:13 AM
07/03/11 10:13 AM
Maryland
Jen Offline
Glider Explorer
Jen  Offline
Glider Explorer

Maryland
I can just speak from my experience. I got my girls on May 5th and they are already bonded to me. They were over a year old. Maybe that is still considered young, but I agree with the above. Personality has a lot to do with it. I am already more bonded with one than the other. Totally due to their personalities.

Yes, I'm packin fuzz!
Gracie :grey: , Willow :grey: , Lula Rose :leu: and Daisy :grey:
Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1147648
07/18/11 10:24 PM
07/18/11 10:24 PM

T
Tricky
Unregistered
Tricky
Unregistered
T

I have older gliders that bonded to me even QUICKER than joeys! So I must say this is false smile

Re: Gliders will only bond to you if they're young. [Re: konotashi] #1160641
08/13/11 06:17 PM
08/13/11 06:17 PM
Chicago, IL
MissTiesa Offline
Glider Explorer
MissTiesa  Offline
Glider Explorer

Chicago, IL
Someone actually told me this at an animal expo earlier this year, but he wasnt a mill breeder and he wasnt trying to sell me gliders. i had brought mine with me and so we were talking about gliders, and i mentioned that i got mine older and asked him if he had any advice for bonding. and he told me that they wont bond to me. Not true. nibbler bonded to me very well, and kiki's getting there. I agree with you marissa, i think its all about the gliders personality and if they are handled well with their first owners.

Teresa, non-professional zookeeper.
1 dog-Tippy, 2 cats-Oreo and Jareth, 2 geckos-Zodiac and Palkia, 1 guinea pig-Critter, and 3 amazing gliders!
:glider: Kiki, Simba and Winry
gangel Nibbler (2008-2011) heart You will always be in my heart. Always.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 422 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024