Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Wet introductions, reposted #1052761
01/09/11 08:05 PM
01/09/11 08:05 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Ok, let me start off by saying that we think this topic is a discussion worth having, just not the way it happened earlier today. After looking through the thread, it was too difficult to edit, so we are opening up this new thread for anyone that would like to discuss this civilly.

Originally Posted By: GC R4
4. GliderCENTRAL is a family oriented "G" rated board. Be polite, courteous and respectful to other board members at all times.

This means we will not allow personal attacks, name calling (we are not a bunch of children), or for drama to be brought over from other websites, including other forums and/or facebook.

Please also remember Rule #2:

2. Do not post names, phone numbers, addresses, personal email or correspondence without the other parties permission. Due to copyright laws, do not cut and paste articles from another site. Please use a link instead. Comments of glider related businesses and web sites will be allowed by name as long as the discussion is kept on topic and within reason. Personal bashing will not be tolerated.

I want to be VERY clear, here - this will be your only warning. If you cannot post within our rules, your post WILL be removed entirely and you WILL be hearing from us to discuss your decision to post inappropriately.

Last edited by DCMuffin; 01/09/11 08:39 PM. Reason: Added text

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052768
01/09/11 08:13 PM
01/09/11 08:13 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: WintersSong
...I am posting it here for a few reasons. Mainly because this is a board that attracts a lot of newcomers, and this is really something that people need to realize that it's not okay to do. I understand that introductions are sometimes rough, exhausting, and (at times) downright impossible..but this method is not okay.

...there has been some talk of "wet introductions".. essentially, soaking the glider, the cage, and cage items, and then putting a single dry pouch in to force two gliders to go together. People are actually doing this.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is pretty much cruel, and wrong? I am just awestruck that people are actually doing this to their gliders.

What is your opinion on this method of introductions?

Originally Posted By: jacknsally
Just horrible- the pictures are so sad. I wouldn't even do a dry intro the way she did (just toss them all into a cage). First it was vanilla, then mouthwash, now it's just soak them wet to get them together. Though they may be together now, doesn't mean they are happy and it doesn't mean they will stay together as a colony. That's one thing ALL rescues know or should know.

I agree with the others, it is very selfish to "make" gliders be together. There's a reason why they don't want to be together and whether they are soaked and happy, one day that reason will present again and a serious trauma could/will happen.

Originally Posted By: LabNGlider
Not to mention the HEALTH issues that COULD come of this... we tell everyone DO NOT get your gliders wet but if it MUST be done or they HAPPEN to get wet DRY THEM IMMEDIATELY and COMPLETELY before returning them to the pouch...these folks then do away with ALL that and basically are saying it is FINE to risk their gliders' health by soaking them and not drying them as long as it helps the OWNER get the colony or buddy situation the OWNER wants to have?!?!?

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052776
01/09/11 08:21 PM
01/09/11 08:21 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: lovely1inred
Oh I just read the entire description of the introduction method on another site. They're putting MOUTHWASH on the glider's cloaca. Ok, I don't know about you, but I don't like mouthwash in my MOUTH. It BURNS. Why would you put that on what is quite possibly the most sensitive skin and parts on a glider????? Honestly I'm quite surprised that these gliders did anything other than go to tearing at that part of their bodies.

Originally Posted By: StitchsMom
There are a lot of controversial techniques out there. I have to say that I don't agree with this one, but I'm glad I was made aware of it!...

Unfortunately, this IS what some people do. I've always said that just because it works, doesn't mean it's right. In this case, I think these owners are taking some pretty serious risks by wetting down their pet and letting it stay wet for any amount of time. I feel that they are deliberately putting their animals under stress in order to force a result.

We all know that there are risks when it comes to introducing sugar gliders. This is something that the owner should be prepared for. I think that if two gliders require this sort of tactic to be together then they shouldn't be together. Find another way to make it work with your gliders. It's silly to say that their loneliness is more is risk. No, it means that the owner must find another way to fix it and they should have been prepared for it to begin with. Maybe these gliders need different cage mates or living situations to be happy.

I think this is a case of owners putting their wants before the overall well-being of their pet. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: buttercup
I put a warning on my web site about this "method" (and I use that term loosely)

I think other owners with web sites should do the same.

~Gretchen

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052788
01/09/11 08:34 PM
01/09/11 08:34 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Someone asked for the reasons this was a bad thing to do to gliders. Here are just SOME of the reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

Gliders are unlike other animals.

They become stressed very easily and when stressed, it compromises their immune system making them susceptible to a host of illnesses.

With a compromised immune system, they are more likely to become seriously ill from any bacteria or parasites that may otherwise remain dormant in their system.

When stressed, they are more likely to over groom or even self mutilate (though that is not as common).

When stressed, they will often display neurological effects such as circling the tops of the cages or doing repetitive back flips or even refusing to eat or over eating.

Soaking a glider can cause their body temperatures to drop rapidly causing them to go into shock which can lead to death.

Soaking them such as this method suggests makes then susceptible to respiratory infection which can lead to pneumonia.

Forcing gliders to live together that would rather not, will lead to stress. (see effects above)

Treating a glider in this manner shows the glider that humans can not be trusted and can harm any trust building (bonding) that may have been done.

Treating a glider in this manner can cause a glider to become fearful of their surroundings.

Fear can cause constant stress to which leads to other issues (see above).

Using mouthwash on their cloacoa would BURN and could lead to self mutilation.

Withholding food? Really? Gliders have a very fast metabolism and withholding food isn't even done before they go through neutering surgery. Why would anyone think withholding food is good?

Keeping on the lights to force the gliders to remain in a pouch to force them to accept each other is just cruel too.

If I was kidnapped by someone along with my worst enemy and we were being held against our will by someone that was torturing us, there is every chance me and that enemy would work together just to survive and hopefully escape. But that still would not make me and that enemy friends!

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052796
01/09/11 08:45 PM
01/09/11 08:45 PM

S
ShelbyD
Unregistered
ShelbyD
Unregistered
S

Who would use mouthwash on a glider for any reason? have people actually done that?

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052798
01/09/11 08:47 PM
01/09/11 08:47 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
Shelby, yes. Others have actually done this.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052800
01/09/11 08:49 PM
01/09/11 08:49 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Even if everything is done correctly, sometimes an animal just wont do what you want it to. I personally feel that animals are individuals and have a right to that individuality. "forcing" them to alter their individual natural behavior can have adverse consequences later.
I would not recommend this type of "intro" but would recommend other methods. However I dont like the "cover their smell with something else" either. Sometimes it can be a personality thing. My 2 girls have very different personalities,and sometimes get on eachother's nerves.

If 2 gliders do not want to get along, and still will not months later, I would either let them remain alone and give them lots of extra attention, or try to find a cage-mate they DO like. Sugar gliders are individuals and its quite possible personalities can "clash."

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052806
01/09/11 08:57 PM
01/09/11 08:57 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

I agree Jill! Personalities sometimes just will not go together! I have also noticed and discussed before, the various geographical origins of some gliders, they are just not meant to go together. A lot of the time that gliders are not getting along, one has a round face and the other a pointy one, or one is a good 2 inches longer than the other. I really believe that those lines came off of different islands so of course they don't want to share.

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052811
01/09/11 09:00 PM
01/09/11 09:00 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Well said, JillMarie! smile

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052817
01/09/11 09:05 PM
01/09/11 09:05 PM

S
ShelbyD
Unregistered
ShelbyD
Unregistered
S

Wow frown that makes me sad

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052820
01/09/11 09:08 PM
01/09/11 09:08 PM
atkins arkansas
eterrell84 Offline
Glider Addict
eterrell84  Offline
Glider Addict

atkins arkansas
i think this is horribly sad! i cant imagine some spraying me and my house with a firehose, the forcing me to lay in a dry bed with somebody i dont even know. then to force me down and pour mouthwash on my junk? i cant see how any of this is passed as a "method of introduction" on ANY site.

~ERIN~ momma to:ceasar(boxer),Chili(pug),Badcat(black cat) and Juliette(ragamuffin)~Apple:grey:and Archer:grey:and George Micheal:grey:Maybe:grey:and Jasper :wfb:,husband Jordan and daughter Azlyn!heart
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052823
01/09/11 09:12 PM
01/09/11 09:12 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
Gliders have as many different personalities as we do!
To expect them all to get along all the time is unrealistic. To force the issue is cruel & selfish.
I have several pairs that have been together for as much as 4 yrs and as little as a year, but they all have had little squabbles from time to time. That's just part of living together. Some, however, may never get along and that should be accepted. Just my opinion of course, but how I would handle it.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052834
01/09/11 09:35 PM
01/09/11 09:35 PM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
This is incredibly sad and I cannot believe that a relationship built upon a foundation of fear would last.

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: Dancing] #1052873
01/09/11 10:51 PM
01/09/11 10:51 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Someone asked for the reasons this was a bad thing to do to gliders. Here are just SOME of the reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

Gliders are unlike other animals.

They become stressed very easily and when stressed, it compromises their immune system making them susceptible to a host of illnesses.

With a compromised immune system, they are more likely to become seriously ill from any bacteria or parasites that may otherwise remain dormant in their system.

When stressed, they are more likely to over groom or even self mutilate (though that is not as common).

When stressed, they will often display neurological effects such as circling the tops of the cages or doing repetitive back flips or even refusing to eat or over eating.

Soaking a glider can cause their body temperatures to drop rapidly causing them to go into shock which can lead to death.

Soaking them such as this method suggests makes then susceptible to respiratory infection which can lead to pneumonia.

Forcing gliders to live together that would rather not, will lead to stress. (see effects above)

Treating a glider in this manner shows the glider that humans can not be trusted and can harm any trust building (bonding) that may have been done.

Treating a glider in this manner can cause a glider to become fearful of their surroundings.

Fear can cause constant stress to which leads to other issues (see above).

Using mouthwash on their cloacoa would BURN and could lead to self mutilation.

Withholding food? Really? Gliders have a very fast metabolism and withholding food isn't even done before they go through neutering surgery. Why would anyone think withholding food is good?

Keeping on the lights to force the gliders to remain in a pouch to force them to accept each other is just cruel too.

If I was kidnapped by someone along with my worst enemy and we were being held against our will by someone that was torturing us, there is every chance me and that enemy would work together just to survive and hopefully escape. But that still would not make me and that enemy friends!
Wonderful Teresa. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052875
01/09/11 10:53 PM
01/09/11 10:53 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
When I started reading about it, it felt just like I had stepped off a time machine into the days of torture and inhumane treatment of humans. It really made me mad that there are folks out there who think this is a splendid way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

It's barbaric. Plain and simple.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052878
01/09/11 10:55 PM
01/09/11 10:55 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
This just goes against everything I've read and been taught to NOT do. It breaks my heart, that this is being done to gliders who have already been through a rough life, only to go through more and possibly worse, at the hands of those who are supposed to be their protectors. I worry about their physical and mental health. Do they ever fully recover from going through this? It's just so very sad. cry cry cry cry cry

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052951
01/10/11 12:37 AM
01/10/11 12:37 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
I understand the basic premis of masking the scent during introductions, not that I would ever use it for a glider.

When I worked in wildlife, a common practice for introducing the raccoon cubs was to rub menthol on top of their noses to avoid them being able to smell the differences in eachother. This was ONLY done because raccoons were always released in groups of up to 40 so that the clan had a chance in the wild as bonded. BUT that doesn't ever involve soaking, or taking away food or warmth.

WE are not supposed swallow mouthwash, so why would it be appropriate for it to be applied to the genitals where the glider is sure to groom?

It has already been said, so I won't re-iterate too much, but getting a glider wet is dangerous! The other concern, IF I didn't think it was dangerous to just get them wet (follow me for a second here) then the other concern would be the temperature of the room while the gliders are wet... the room and cage area must be at least 85+ degrees (not sure exactly how much) to prevent pneumonia and shock...

Overall.. I see this as a LAZY way to do introductions, it seems to take less time, and they are just together... but it is dangerous and the site even states that they need to check the gliders for wounds! Unless I hear fighting, I do not check my gliders for wounds, because I know things are going well... that is not to say i don't look at and handle them, but I do not look specifically for wounds. That practice seems inhumane and lazy... just bad to do!

Go slower and give your babies a chance to bond!

The whole story just makes me ill. And those who have spoken in favor of it make me even more ill.

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052959
01/10/11 12:44 AM
01/10/11 12:44 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Can we also add to the 'not to' list of reasons that their fur is VERY dense. It is supposed to REPEL water. Much like a chincilla's fur, strands grow in approximately 50 per follicle, as opposed to our mere one per follicle. Getting them wet could later result in mold and mildew growing on their skin, though they LOOK dry and OK.

This is why they should never get wet and when they do we should hand dry them.

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: ] #1052981
01/10/11 01:24 AM
01/10/11 01:24 AM
Martinsburg, WV
S
Sydvicious Offline
In Pouch
Sydvicious  Offline
In Pouch
S

Martinsburg, WV
FOR ALL MODS:PLZ BE AWARE THAT THIS IS NOT A BASHING POST!!! I am legally bound as a fellow charitable organization to try and stop the abuse of animals so please do not think I am trying to bash anyone, I am trying to give people on this forum an opportunity to legally do something about the subject at hand.

This is directed at all those people that want to legally do something to stop the abuse of gliders due to this topic...I am the president of a 501 (c) 3 dog rescue and can tell you that what we have been discussing all day is legally considered animal cruelty and can be stopped. As a charitable organization rescues are under the obligation to help and preserve the health and well being of all animals and if a handling technique if found to be inhumane then they have an obligation to change that technique.

If this is somehow compromised then we as citizens have the right to stop the abuse that is being done. I am willing to send this "rescue" a letter in hopes that they will conform to the correct way to treat animals but I will need your help so that we as a collective group will be able to, if necessary, report them to their local authorities in hopes that maybe they will do something to stop the cruelty. I am looking for people willing to at the very least sign a petition to help me stop this, if you are interested please PM me and let me know.

Last edited by Sydvicious; 01/10/11 01:27 AM.

Shan
Preston & Lina
Jada, Orchid, Porsche & Benz
Elliott & Tani

Check out our website

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052989
01/10/11 01:46 AM
01/10/11 01:46 AM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

This just hurts my heart. They are such teeny tiny defenseless little creatures that depend on us for everything. This is how I would feel if this happened to ME -

If you locked me in a RUNNING car wash with, say: my ex, someone who hurts kids, an an murderer, and someone who gets off on kicking puppies. After leaving us in the carwash for a period of time, they then offered us all one bed, refused to feed us and shined a halogen light on us all night. Yeah, you know what, I MIGHT learn to not want to kill the people around me. But I tell you what, if it didn't kill me, I would certainly HATE the people who did that to me.

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1052992
01/10/11 01:52 AM
01/10/11 01:52 AM
In paradise
hpyhwn2003 Offline
Glider Addict
hpyhwn2003  Offline
Glider Addict

In paradise
I DO NOT condone this type of glider to glider bonding as I feel it is a unsafe and harmful practice. I also I don't believe it can possibly achieve a true bond between the gliders JMO.

I'd be willing to sign a petition in the hopes that this rescue would stop using this method.

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: hpyhwn2003] #1052997
01/10/11 02:00 AM
01/10/11 02:00 AM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline
Glider Guardian
myliljadagirl  Offline
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
Originally Posted By: BelladonnasMom
This is how I would feel if this happened to ME -

If you locked me in a RUNNING car wash with, say: my ex, someone who hurts kids, an an murderer, and someone who gets off on kicking puppies. After leaving us in the carwash for a period of time, they then offered us all one bed, refused to feed us and shined a halogen light on us all night. Yeah, you know what, I MIGHT learn to not want to kill the people around me. But I tell you what, if it didn't kill me, I would certainly HATE the people who did that to me.

Originally Posted By: hpyhwn2003
I DO NOT condone this type of glider to glider bonding as I feel it is a unsafe and harmful practice. I also I don't believe it can possibly achieve a true bond between the gliders JMO.

I'd be willing to sign a petition in the hopes that this rescue would stop using this method.

I agree...100% and I am so signing! Mods...please allow a petition to be placed!!!

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-
Peppermint :leu: & Porsche
Jada, & Orchid :grey:
Benz, :rtmo: Gomer
Preston & Lina :wfb:
:rbridge: Sydney, & Ozzie!
www.Facebook.com/naturalglider
www.Naturalglider.weebly.com

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: hpyhwn2003] #1053003
01/10/11 02:06 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: hpyhwn2003

I feel the same way and I am willing to sign a petition also.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1053004
NY
Kimberlyann Offline
Glider Lover
Kimberlyann  Offline
Glider Lover

NY
I am lost in this post as I don't see the original post so I have no idea what is going on.... frown

Kimberlyann

:grey: :wfb: :leu: :plat: :bb:
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1053009
01/10/11 02:19 AM
01/10/11 02:19 AM

R
rammsteinmiss
Unregistered
rammsteinmiss
Unregistered
R

I would GLADLY sign anything to get this stuff to end. I wanted to cry my eyes out when reading all this. These people should NOT even have gliders to begin with. I just want to cuddle mine. I think i will take tinkerbell with me tomorrow while im out. Knowing how much i love my babies makes me feel so much better.

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: Kimberlyann] #1053010
01/10/11 02:20 AM
01/10/11 02:20 AM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: Kimberlyann
I am lost in this post as I don't see the original post so I have no idea what is going on.... frown

Apparently there are some people who use a pretty extreme, and to some of us excruciatingly cruel, method of introducing gliders that otherwise haven't learned to get along. They place them in a tiny cage, no pouches or anything, then SOAK the gliders to the skin. Even going so far as to leave the cage in a running shower for an HOUR. After the hour is up, a bright light is shown onto the cage all night, and they are not fed. It is theorized that they will all be so terrified and fixated on the cold and wet they they will all gratefully pile up together in a pouch once the deluge stops.

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1053011
01/10/11 02:27 AM
01/10/11 02:27 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Just to give you a brief synopsis:

The owner of another forum, and several gliders, has introduced a method a few years back that is just now becoming known.

This method is to get gliders housed together. The method is as follows:

Take a cotton ball or qtip and absorb it in mouthwash. Rub it on the gliders' cloacas.

Place gliders to be intro'd into a small cage with no toys or pouches. Place into a running shower. Keep them wet for approximately one hour.

Then offer ONE clean, odor free pouch and place the cage in a bright light. This forces the gliders to huddle together.

Keep this light on the cage over night. Do not offer any food.

The gliders will be too concerned with drying and getting/keeping warm to focus on the 'strange' gliders around them.

So is the theory.

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1053019
01/10/11 02:56 AM
01/10/11 02:56 AM
NY
Kimberlyann Offline
Glider Lover
Kimberlyann  Offline
Glider Lover

NY
Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me smile

That is cruel. It is people like that, that also believe that beating a dog is training it.

Even if it did work, it leaves emotional scares and is not healthy physically.

How horrible is it that a new glider owner will read that and think that is the correct way to do an intro.

It is torture and this man should have his gliders taken away and if I had my way imprisoned!

Kimberlyann

:grey: :wfb: :leu: :plat: :bb:
Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1053022
01/10/11 03:15 AM
01/10/11 03:15 AM

K
Kuro_Neko
Unregistered
Kuro_Neko
Unregistered
K

"Even going so far as to leave the cage in a running shower for an HOUR"

Just to be clear. The running water wasn't ON the gliders. It was off to the side to supposedly keep the stall warm with the steam.

"Take a cotton ball or qtip and absorb it in mouthwash. Rub it on the gliders' cloacas."

Just to be clear here as well, it is AROUND it, not on it.
(Yes, I know being around it still provides the chance of getting IN it, but just clearing it up)

I know this doesn't change anything one way or another, but I just prefer to have facts straight.

Re: Wet introductions, reposted [Re: sugarlope] #1053024
01/10/11 03:27 AM
01/10/11 03:27 AM

S
Span
Unregistered
Span
Unregistered
S

I know this won't change anyone's opinions, but its considered a "last resort" for gliders who are desperate for mates.

Maybe you should take a step back and see the good the Lucky Glider Rescue does for gliders, and ask what the real intention is here. They aren't doing this for fun.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024