Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
California Owners? Help? Want to move... #1053072
01/10/11 08:09 AM
01/10/11 08:09 AM
Southern Oregon, United States
Tobi Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Tobi  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

I plan to move to California and have been told they are illegal to sell or buy or transport... But I have been told they're legal to own, and have seen many people in California who own them...
Can anyone tell me in plain language what I need to do?
I looked at
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fgc&group=02001-03000&file=2116-2127
from
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/fgc_table_of_contents.html

and
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Sugar-Gliders-3567/2008/7/permit-sugar-gliders.htm
but it is so confusing... I don't want to have to give up my babies...
Does anyone know what to do/ live in California/ Know someone who does..?
frown Thank you.

Ivy
541-227-8946 -Call/TXT ANYTIME
- Email
heart
:bb: Onni and :bb: Veli
:grey: Tephra and :grey: Merlin
Rip :grey: Momo & Unnamed Twins...

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053077
01/10/11 09:03 AM
01/10/11 09:03 AM
Northwest Missouri
Chris_R Offline
Glider Explorer
Chris_R  Offline
Glider Explorer

Northwest Missouri
They are not legal to own in California..I doubt if animal control will come into your home and confiscate them (unless they find abuse) but they will issue you a ticket and give you X amount of days to get them out of the state.....

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053098
01/10/11 10:34 AM
01/10/11 10:34 AM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Actually if caught the state gives you a 24 hour period to get them relocated .If they are not gone they confiscate and put the animals down. I have helped with several gliders from California. All tho animal control may not come into your home but in some areas it will be easier for them to hear that there is gliders in the state. I would advice completely about not taking them into the state cause its not worth it if you are caught the fine and than having to rehome them so quickly sometimes is hard. We lost a pair last year cause we couldn't get them out quick enough.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053113
01/10/11 10:58 AM
01/10/11 10:58 AM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fgc&group=02001-03000&file=2116-2127

I posted this earlier this week on another thread.

I had a LA county officer contact me when I lived in AZ. He took in a bunch of gliders that were in a home.

He was actively trying to get them out of the state, but told me that he and his colleges could only do this in their own spare time.

The usual thing was to bring them to the vet to have them put down. He told me, most of the others who worked with him, would not take time from their personal lives, and take the easy way out.

I got him in contact with a rescue in a different state. I'm sure he continues to do this, but not so sure about his co-workers.

If you want to take that kind of chance, but I don't think it's worth it.

If you look at the list I sent, it says all orders of Marsupials--pouched animals. That's a sugar glider. They are illegal there.

Just because others own them, they are breaking the law and if caught, will suffer the same as anyone else.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053128
01/10/11 11:38 AM
01/10/11 11:38 AM
In paradise
hpyhwn2003 Offline
Glider Addict
hpyhwn2003  Offline
Glider Addict

In paradise
I know you love your gliders and the idea of having to give them up is hard to take. But if you've no choice and must move to California then I beg you to love them enough not to take them with you. You've got to ask yourself if you are willing to risk their lives just so you can still have them in yours. Believe me I know what you're going thru just thinking about it. I was born and raised in Hawaii, another state where gliders are illegal, and I hope to go home someday. So I too have been thinking "But what about my gliders???" I don't want to have to give them up either. But I know in my heart I could never risk their lives just to make myself happy. I'm currently dealing with a tail amputation. When it was first worked on by the vet I stayed up all night holding him to be sure he didn't get out of the ecollar and sm or worse. Basicly I stayed up to assure he didn't hurt himself and put himself in the position where he might die. He's not the first glider I've stayed up all night with and likely will not be the last as I also rescue gliders and many come in real sick. But thinking about these nights helped me make a tough decision. If I fight so hard to keep them alive why would I put them in the position of having to be put down? So when the time comes, not for a few years, I'll do the right thing by them and find them loving homes in legal states. Believe me I know how hard just thinking about this is for you. So I will close with this...

hug2

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053132
01/10/11 11:45 AM
01/10/11 11:45 AM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

Elena your babies are always welcome here! I know what it is like to miss your home. I love my life in Ohio but Texas calls me back on a pretty regular basis.

Back to the topic -
Please do not take gliders into California. You are putting their lives at stake and it is just a matter of time before someone finds out.

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053171
01/10/11 12:57 PM
01/10/11 12:57 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
I just called California and Sugar gliders are very illegal in the state of California.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053179
01/10/11 01:16 PM
01/10/11 01:16 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Well, I guess if it came from the source, that's all we need to know.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053451
01/10/11 11:39 PM
01/10/11 11:39 PM
Tobi Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Tobi  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Is there ANY kind of permit I can get..? Anything??
frown I don't want to choose between my fiance's happiness and my babies... They're the only things I have left...
Ughhhhhh... frown

Last edited by Tobi; 01/11/11 01:09 AM.

Ivy
- Email
heart

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053506
01/11/11 05:38 AM
01/11/11 05:38 AM
Tulsa, OK, USA
S
SweetGliders Offline
Glider Slave
SweetGliders  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Tulsa, OK, USA
No Tobi,
They won't issue permits to own these babies in California. Just remember this too if you ever had an emergency and needed a vet you wouldn't be able to take them in for the fear of the vet having to turn you in for having an illegal pet. I know this is sad and going to be very hard for you but I wouldn't risk my babies either.

Anita heart
www.mysweetgliders.com

Owned by many Gliders & Cats + Wife to a Wonderful & Understanding Husband

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: SweetGliders] #1053510
01/11/11 06:43 AM
01/11/11 06:43 AM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
Originally Posted By: SweetGliders
Just remember this too if you ever had an emergency and needed a vet you wouldn't be able to take them in for the fear of the vet having to turn you in for having an illegal pet.

This isnt true at all. Most vets care about the well being of the animal. SOME vets care about the money and can charge absurd amounts because they are treating an illegal animal. vets are NOT required to turn in people with illegal pets, as they are not breaking laws treating them. However the biggest problem is that there arent many glider knowledgeable vets in illegal states.

I just checked the GC vet database and it lists 17 sugar glider knowledgeable vets in Ca. That number surprises me...

California currently does not issue permits, and they probably wont allow gliders for some time, since the fight to make ferrets legal has been going on a long time without prevail. Your best bet is to stay in oregon or pick another state :/ or to rehome your babies.

Maybe you can look in to starting some kind of petition or something to see if we can get the ball rolling on making them legal there??

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Violet, Lavender & Indigo
Amaretto & Bailey
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :plat: :leu:
Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053550
01/11/11 12:32 PM
01/11/11 12:32 PM
Tobi Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Tobi  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

I wouldn't even know how to begin doing that.. frown And I only have about 5 month until I plan move down there. I don't want to give up my babies... ugh, I hope we can find an alternative...
I can't believe they won't even let you get permits...

Ivy
- Email
heart

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053556
01/11/11 12:45 PM
01/11/11 12:45 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
My best suggestion to you is to live in Nevada or Arizona or Utah....right close to the California state line. Is that an option?

I've decided that there are SEVERAL states that you'll never catch me living in: Massachusettes, Pennsylvania, California, Hawaii, or Alaska. I won't run the risk of having my babies where they're not welcome...telling me they're not welcome is just like them saying I'm not welcome! So fine.....I ain't moving, game over!

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053569
01/11/11 01:33 PM
01/11/11 01:33 PM
Tobi Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Tobi  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

I am going to try to convince him but I doubt it... He lives in Temecula and being far away isn't much of an option because he is very very close to his family and takes care of his mother...
It would just kill me inside to have to give away my little babies, I really really don't want to have to make a decision on that...

Ivy
- Email
heart

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053588
01/11/11 02:38 PM
01/11/11 02:38 PM
In paradise
hpyhwn2003 Offline
Glider Addict
hpyhwn2003  Offline
Glider Addict

In paradise
Please think about your gliders. What is truely best for them? If you have no other choice but to move then rehome them. You've still enough time before you move to find them a great home. I know this is hard but such is life. hug2

Last edited by DCMuffin; 01/12/11 12:49 AM. Reason: Edited text
Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053619
01/11/11 03:59 PM
01/11/11 03:59 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
If you care about the gliders you have to do whats right by them .

Last edited by DCMuffin; 01/12/11 12:57 AM. Reason: Edited text

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053625
01/11/11 04:07 PM
01/11/11 04:07 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
The thing is, with a lot of persistance and a lot of knowledge about the animal, you can work to change the law.

It was done in Georgia couple of years ago.

They were illegal in that state too, but some educated glider people presented to the legislators all their knowledge on gliders and that they would not be able to survive in the outdoors there and ruin the local flora and fauna.

They won and a new law passed. In the state of Georgia, you may own sugar gliders, so long as you purchase them from a USDA breeder.

If Georgia residents can do it, California people can do it too. If California is open to some medical products, I do not see why they cannot be influenced to change the laws on some exotics.

Instead of trying to skirt the law, be proactive and work to change it.

Last edited by Marsupial_Mayhem; 01/11/11 04:09 PM.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053628
01/11/11 04:12 PM
01/11/11 04:12 PM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
Why were they illegal in Georgia?? Because they can be considered an invasive species?? Californias law has more to do with them being marsupials being classified as "wild animals" or something along those lines... Idk how you go about trying to change that one, other thn overloading legislators with uber cute gliders......

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Violet, Lavender & Indigo
Amaretto & Bailey
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :plat: :leu:
Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053656
01/11/11 05:49 PM
01/11/11 05:49 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Well I know in a few states they became illegal due to so many being put out by their owners that got tired of them .In Alaska they aren't allowed because of this reason because they say they would upset the natural habitat of the animals that live there now. But the truth is they would not survive in the wild in Alaska. But all states are different a few years back they were trying to pass a law in Missouri that would have outlawed alot of animals including sugar gliders. But the senators tring to get it to pass had it written so badly it failed to pass. Doesn't mean it they won't try to again. But I spoke to both Senators that were pushing to get it to pass. And was told the reason behind the bill was because of the people in Kansas City with big cats .So to me its like why not just concentrate on the animals that are indeed dangerous why trump all exotics into this bill.
Things can change but it would be a uphill battle that you would need alot of information to sway them into thinking differently.
But it would not be something that may take years.

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053710
01/11/11 07:35 PM
01/11/11 07:35 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

California has a problem with them due to other invasive species - like ferrets. It was NOT all that long ago that there was a house bill trying to ban exotics across the US. Florida especially has a lot of problems as a port of entry for boas and other animals that outgrow what your typical family home can support and end up released into the local habitat. Florida, being such a nice sultry place, tends to support the critters instead of having them die off like the case would be in Alaska.

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1053769
01/11/11 09:39 PM
01/11/11 09:39 PM
Tobi Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Tobi  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Woah woah a lot going on here...
As for taking them with me, I am an EXTREMELY anxious person and I don't think I could last a day doing something I know to be against the law, I would constantly be [censored] out. frown
I'm talking with my fiancée about it, hopefully we can work something out. I can't say what will happen but I would most likely rehome if I absolutely had to.
Also, It's not more of me not wanting to change the law, it is more of me not knowing HOW. I would love to support it should someone do it but I myself wouldn't be very credible, seeing as that I am not even 20 yet, and I am very wet behind the ears with that sort of thing. frown

Ivy
- Email
heart

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1054191
01/12/11 06:52 PM
01/12/11 06:52 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
We are not trying to make you into a bad person. Many before you have asked our opinion, and just didn't listen. Some had to be bailed out later.

We didn't know your stand on the issue. A lot are of the mind that they don't care, and they are going to do it anyway. You, obviously are different.

We just try to lay all the facts out, so hopefully, you make the right decision if and when the time comes for you to make the move.

Yes. It is possible to present the facts to any place they are illegal and as long as you have good and correct answers for them, it may help overturn the law, or like with Georgia, just have some stipulations.

Doesn't matter that you are 19. You are old enough to vote, so your voice matters. If you so wanted to try if you became a resident, you would have as good a chance as anyone.

Last edited by Marsupial_Mayhem; 01/12/11 06:52 PM.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: ] #1054194
01/12/11 06:55 PM
01/12/11 06:55 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Originally Posted By: lovely1inred
California has a problem with them due to other invasive species - like ferrets. It was NOT all that long ago that there was a house bill trying to ban exotics across the US. Florida especially has a lot of problems as a port of entry for boas and other animals that outgrow what your typical family home can support and end up released into the local habitat. Florida, being such a nice sultry place, tends to support the critters instead of having them die off like the case would be in Alaska.
Well, it is kind of crazy that Flordia allows them (as it would be a suitable place for them to live in the wild) and places like Alaska and Massachusetts are not.

It would be a pity though to those who do live in Florida if they outlawed them, for the ones who are responsible and caring owners who already have them. Many are even USDA breeders. I know several of them.

Last edited by Marsupial_Mayhem; 01/12/11 06:56 PM.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1054397
01/13/11 01:17 AM
01/13/11 01:17 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Is your move to CA permanent or for school?

I'd be willing to help you. PM me if you want.

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1054522
01/13/11 06:55 AM
01/13/11 06:55 AM
Tobi Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Tobi  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

It would be permanent. frown
My fiancée is coming up with ways to move here, and is trying to warm up to the idea so hopefully I wont have to hand them over to anyone.
He realizes how important they are to me and is trying to do what's best for everyone. But we have a ways to go before we make any decisions... frown

Ivy
- Email
heart

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Marsupial_Mayhem] #1054552
01/13/11 09:53 AM
01/13/11 09:53 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Quote:

It would be a pity though to those who do live in Florida if they outlawed them, for the ones who are responsible and caring owners who already have them. Many are even USDA breeders. I know several of them.

I'd MOVE in a heartbeat wink

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: Tobi] #1054705
01/13/11 03:23 PM
01/13/11 03:23 PM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I'd have to say if they became illegal in OR, as much as I love my home and my family here, I'd leave. I'm NOT rehoming my babies. I love them tooooo much! roflmao They're like my very own children!!!!

Tobi,
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, but my offer still stands. I can either foster for you and help find a good home (I've rehomed some of the rescues I took in after clear vet checks and some diet rehabilitation and turned down a LOT of people because they didn't 'pass' my 'requirements'.)

I could also be their permanent home. I'm not opposed to anything.

I'd be sure to keep in contact with you and sending UTD pics. Anything I can do to help, I will.

I'm, again, so very sorry you are having to go through this, whatever your reasons to be moving are. hug2

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: oakley] #1054777
01/13/11 06:12 PM
01/13/11 06:12 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: oakley
Quote:

I'd MOVE in a heartbeat wink

Agreed! It is frustrating that there is such a problem with other exotics that it is spilling over into animals like gliders that have been kept for years in the US without any major problems. I'm sure a few have gotten loose here or there, but I've yet to see the news report "Aussie Marsupial Ousts Brown Squirrels" tonight at 11.

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: ] #1054827
01/13/11 08:44 PM
01/13/11 08:44 PM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: lovely1inred
I'm sure a few have gotten loose here or there, but I've yet to see the news report "Aussie Marsupial Ousts Brown Squirrels" tonight at 11.

roflmao

Re: California Owners? Help? Want to move... [Re: ] #1055386
01/14/11 11:19 PM
01/14/11 11:19 PM
Tobi Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Tobi  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Originally Posted By: Megs

Tobi,
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, but my offer still stands. I can either foster for you and help find a good home (I've rehomed some of the rescues I took in after clear vet checks and some diet rehabilitation and turned down a LOT of people because they didn't 'pass' my 'requirements'.)

I could also be their permanent home. I'm not opposed to anything.

I'd be sure to keep in contact with you and sending UTD pics. Anything I can do to help, I will.

I'm, again, so very sorry you are having to go through this, whatever your reasons to be moving are. hug2

Thank you very much, that takes lot of worry about WHERE they'd go off of my mind. I will keep you in mind should things come to that! Luckily it is looking like they may not, should things keep going in the direction they are.. My fiancée is warming up to the idea of us living here. And I am definitely going to look into getting California to allow permits, I find it just like animal cruelty if they are going to just take animals and put them to sleep despite how nice they may be just because of the situation they were in. frown

Ivy
- Email
heart

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024