Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bonding With Aggressive Gliders #1116352
05/19/11 07:33 PM
05/19/11 07:33 PM

A
AmberLea489
Unregistered
AmberLea489
Unregistered
A

Hello,
I'm pretty new to owning my two little glider babies and we've been having some challenges and I'm not sure where to go from here. My boys were shipped to us a few weeks ago, we let them settle in for a few days and then began bonding with them through the bonding pouch. The person that sold them to us says there were hand raised and very friendly but I have yet to see that. Actually, one of them is very aggressive toward me and my husband. If we try to give him any treats with our hands he skips the food and darts straight for our hands. He's drawn blood on me 3 or 4 times. We try not to pull away but when I'm bleeding - something seems wrong. They don't seem to want anything to do with us. Our other glider is very quiet and is less aggressive but the other one will try to keep us away from him too. We have done the treat tricks, yogurt tricks, keeping them on us at least 3-5 hours a day in the pouch, they sleep with our shirts. Is this normal? Any advice on helping them bond?

Re: Bonding With Aggressive Gliders [Re: ] #1116369
05/19/11 08:10 PM
05/19/11 08:10 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Hi,
There are several things going on here. One, they are scared. They have been taken from the environment and the people they know and put into an unknown situation where they don't know if they are going to end up someone's dinner tonight.

They have to have a chance to learn to trust you. This can take a few days to even months to achieve.

THIS THREAD will help you see things from your gliders perspective.

Second.
I NEVER take the bite. I refuse to let any animal chew on me. But that doesn't mean that I will do something to hurt the glider to get them to stop either. (there's some horrid advice on the internet about putting your thumb in their mouth, PLEASE ignore that advice!) It means that I respect that they have teeth and those teeth are their only real defense against what they see as a dangerous threat. Respect their teeth. Don't put yourself in the position to be bitten.

Patience and time (and bribery) will win out. But remember, you have to take things at THEIR pace, not your's. They have to learn you aren't going to turn them into a midnight snack.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Bonding With Aggressive Gliders [Re: ] #1116695
05/20/11 09:16 AM
05/20/11 09:16 AM

T
Tricia
Unregistered
Tricia
Unregistered
T

I'm a new owner myself - Hugs to you...this will work out! hug2

Definitely go back and read everything you can from these wonderful experts here! And stock up on the treats smile Your guys just need some more time to get used to their new home. Don't give up on them!

Re: Bonding With Aggressive Gliders [Re: ] #1119705
05/26/11 09:46 PM
05/26/11 09:46 PM
South Carolina
G
GliderAli Offline
Joey Member
GliderAli  Offline
Joey Member
G

South Carolina
I've had the same exact experience. I couldn't even get them into a bonding pouch to carry them around with me without getting all bit up. But it's true...it's takes time. It's been 3 and a half LONG months and they have made soooo much progress. What I did was I got a chair and sat in front of the cage at night with yoggies in my hand and just sat there and sat there. I put my hand in the cage and kept very still. It took a long time but eventually they would get curious and come to my hand and take the yoggies. Then I moved the yoggies further up my hand so they had to step onto my fingers to reach the yoggies. Then further and further until they had to stand on my hand to get the yoggie (or mealie). This literally took a month. My shoulders ached from doing this every night. After about a month, one of them started to jump right on my hand as soon as I put it in the cage because he knew I was not putting it in there to hurt him and that he was going to get treats. Then I worked on SLOWLY moving my arm out of the cage. It took another month for him not to jump off. Then the female started to jump on my arm. Now they will both readily get on my hand and they WANT me to take them out. This is after TWO MONTHS of sitting by the cage, talking very quietly and singing and giving treats and being very still.

The next phase started two weeks after I went to a glider social meeting called SSS which you absolutely have to come to next year (watch this board for announcements) held by moderator Sari. Anyway I met the most fantabulous people with the greatest advice. I had just ordered the Genji tent and I've had it 4 days. These people helped me with the bonding pouch problems I was having, which you're not having, so good...keep carrying them around. You absolutely have to have this tent. My gliders and I have made leaps and bounds since Monday with this tent! So you go in the tent with the pouch, let them crawl out on their own and explore. Have lots of toys and treats and let them go at their pace. Mine went crazy having fun but remember they already knew me very well. In a matter of days I am able to hold and cuddle the male and the female is letting me pet her much more. For the first time I am actually touching my own gliders, feeling their soft fur, and enjoying them! It's AWESOME! I am so in love with these fuzzbutts, it's not even funny. So I highly recommend you get the tent and sit in there with them - quietly, at their pace, and let them come out and explore you. It's nonthreatening and the whole process of bonding will go so much faster!

Keep asking questions. The people here on GC are the best! I've learned a lot and my next experience buying gliders will be different because I've learned so much about what to look for in a breeder and in the purchasing process. Send me a PM and keep me informed on your progress! :-)

Ali Grondski

Wife, Mother to beautiful 6-year old girl, Brooke
2 dogs, and 6 gliders:
Diamond & Ringo
Boo-Boo & Pumpkin
Flower & Powder

www.gliderali.com
Re: Bonding With Aggressive Gliders [Re: ] #1119724
05/26/11 10:18 PM
05/26/11 10:18 PM

J
JessicaR
Unregistered
JessicaR
Unregistered
J

It is good to read this! I am going threw the same things.

Re: Bonding With Aggressive Gliders [Re: ] #1124569
06/06/11 12:02 AM
06/06/11 12:02 AM

A
AmberLea489
Unregistered
AmberLea489
Unregistered
A

UPDATE: We got ourselves a nice little tent and finally set it up in the living room (LOL) and finally got Gizmo out and about inside the tent playing around on me. He still is skittish but a million times more bonded than just 2 weeks ago! Booger is still not coming around so we're working with them separately. We're hoping our smells on one glider will help with the other one too! He's not as crabby but still very nippy, patience patience patience smile thanks for all the help! Hopefully he'll feel safer soon!!!!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024