Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders #1387638
03/11/15 12:53 AM
03/11/15 12:53 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline OP
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline OP
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
I have been told in other groups that Wodent wheels and similarly designed exercise wheels are unsafe for sugar gliders and should be avoided at all costs. The problem is that sugar gliders can catch their tail on the center axle, doing serious damage to their tails. On further pushing, I was told that this happens about 20 times for every 100,000 wheels sold. (I have no idea if this number is accurate.) That seems like a small risk, not one to be avoided at all costs. I am not arguing that there is a risk with the Wodent Wheel (not getting into how big or small of a risk it might be).

What I want to know is whether anyone knows of any tail damaging incidents done by a Wodent Wheel that has been modified with a glider shield (http://www.transoniq.com/GliderShield.html). The glider shield is basically a shorter version of the running surface that is smooth on both sides. The shield is inserted into the wheel forming a 3 to 4 inch barrier around that axle and rotates with the wheel. The shield is too big for the sugar glider to wrap their tails around and if they ride the wheel all the way around, the shield is not moving relative to them or the wheel.

This sounds very safe to me. I would like to know what others think of this modification and whether you think it really works.

Last edited by SFLeBrun; 03/11/15 01:58 AM.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
-- Groucho Marx
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387639
03/11/15 01:41 AM
03/11/15 01:41 AM
Southeast Missouri
D
Dalton63841 Offline
Out of Pouch
Dalton63841  Offline
Out of Pouch
D

Southeast Missouri
I can't say whether or not it works, but I can say that it's not a good idea for sugar gliders, as far as giving them an optimal form of exercise or entertainment.

Gliders don't run at the bottom of the wheel like hamsters or rats. They leap from back to front. That big 3-4" wide piece in the middle makes it impossible for them to do that.

Also, this is just my own overly emotional response and I mean no offense, but 20 out of 100,000 REPORTED incidents, is something to be avoided at all costs because a) The number of unreported incidents is almost definitely exponentially higher(Most people don't run to the internet to talk about their dead pet) and b) there are plenty of wheels made appropriately that don't have 20 out of 100,000 reported incidents.

Last edited by Dalton63841; 03/11/15 01:44 AM.
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387640
03/11/15 01:55 AM
03/11/15 01:55 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline OP
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline OP
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
I agree that the modified Wodent Wheel is far from optimal for sugar glider running/leaping. What I am trying to decide is whether glider shield will give me more time to budget replacing it with a raptor or stealth wheel.

If the shield reduces the risk to much closer to zero, then I have more time to budget for the more expensive wheel without feeling that I am putting my gliders at great risk.

My sugar gliders do use their modified Wrodent Wheel a lot. I can hear it now in the next room. So even through it is not the best, they do use it.

Last edited by SFLeBrun; 03/11/15 01:57 AM.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
-- Groucho Marx
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387641
03/11/15 01:58 AM
03/11/15 01:58 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline OP
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline OP
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
I had not considered the difference between reported incidents vs total number of incidents. That would make the unmodified Wodent Wheel more dangerous than I first thought.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387642
03/11/15 03:08 AM
03/11/15 03:08 AM
Southeast Missouri
D
Dalton63841 Offline
Out of Pouch
Dalton63841  Offline
Out of Pouch
D

Southeast Missouri
I personally have no experience with the Wodent Wheel. I am only two weeks into owning my glider babies and I went with the H-Wheel...

Just my own 2 cents... If you clean it often enough that it can't become sticky, it will probably be okay to use until you can replace it.

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: Dalton63841] #1387646
03/11/15 08:43 AM
03/11/15 08:43 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
There have been many warnings posted on GliderCENTRAL over the years as well as in different groups and other message boards about issues with the Wodent wheels even though many people continue to use them with no injury or worse to their gliders.

With that being said, we now have someone who has posted pictures and linked to the post on another message board here which you should read before making the decision on a wheel.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387661
03/11/15 12:25 PM
03/11/15 12:25 PM
Longview, Texas
Kris_N_Zoe Offline
Glider Slave
Kris_N_Zoe  Offline
Glider Slave

Longview, Texas
Think about this: Is not spending the extra $15 or so worth the heartbreak of death or the vet bills of a tail amputation and care afterwards and still possibly losing your beloved pet? It's not worth it to me, that's why my gliders have a Raptor wheel.

Pibble pup Jenson jump Glide free: Smoke (6/16/15) and Zoey (10/2/15) :rbridge:
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: Kris_N_Zoe] #1387667
03/11/15 03:44 PM
03/11/15 03:44 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline OP
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline OP
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
It is not just $15 more. I already bought a Wodent Wheel before I saw any of the warnings. For me it is the full cost of a safe wheel ($50+) and the loss of money already spent on the Wodent Wheel. If I had seen the warnings first, I definitely would have made a different decision as to which wheel to get.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387670
03/11/15 05:26 PM
03/11/15 05:26 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
$50.00 is less than a $200.00 vet bill for an amputation. Then if the glider goes after his site and self mutilates another amputation and another.

Mary, my friend, he glider has had three amputations since mid December. His total vet bills is over $1000.00. Her glider has been in an e-jacket or e-collar since then also.

He just got the staples out of his bum today. He will need to be in an e-collar until the scab falls off at a minimum, if not until the hair grows back on his bum.

He has went from a 200+ gram glider to about 110 grams in that time. Not to mention he is on antibiotics yet again.

To me $50.00 is a drop in the bucket compared to that kind of vet bill.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: Feather] #1387686
03/12/15 12:33 AM
03/12/15 12:33 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline OP
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline OP
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
Were the injuries to your friend's glider due to a Wodent Wheel and if so did it have the glider shield installed?

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387687
03/12/15 06:41 AM
03/12/15 06:41 AM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline
Joey Member

Miami, FL
Xenas stealth wheel cost $40. Less than a sit down dinner for 2 and many more hours of entertainment for me. And many many more for her. There is also a nice piece of mind not worrying that she will get a body part stuck.Totally worth it, and my only regret is my color choice.

Your $20 is already gone, you do have plans to get a better wheel. Can you return your wheel? Could you purchase a new one if you got the money back? If not, then the question would be, is a wodent wheel better than no wheel at all? Im sure its not welded in your cage and can be taken out.

-Melanie
:grey: Belle

:rbridge: Rex :rbridge: Xena
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: darkmornings] #1387688
03/12/15 07:32 AM
03/12/15 07:32 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline OP
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline OP
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
Returning the Wodent Wheel is not an option. I am hoping that once I have a safe wheel to either sell it on eBay or give it to someone who can use it for an animal that is not a sugar glider, say a rat owner.

It is my understanding that it is the sugar glider's weakly prehensil tail and possibly its flying membrane that get caught in the axle so the wheel should be safe for other types of pets.

I have New England blood in me; it is hard to just throw something away if it may be used in a different way.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387707
03/13/15 11:42 AM
03/13/15 11:42 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
You are a guy, do you feel mechanical. There is a way to revamp the Wodent wheel using the drive mechanism from a computers hard drive.

I have the plans on my computer, if you send me a pm with your email I could email them to you.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387708
03/13/15 12:36 PM
03/13/15 12:36 PM
Southeast Missouri
D
Dalton63841 Offline
Out of Pouch
Dalton63841  Offline
Out of Pouch
D

Southeast Missouri
If you aren't mechanically inclined, I saw pics where someone laid the Wodent Wheel on it's side and used it as a really cute little ball pit.

Perhaps that will be a little easier for that "don't throw anything away" mindset? Just a thought.

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387712
03/13/15 07:01 PM
03/13/15 07:01 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Anyone know if or how to get the manufacturer to stop advertisements that it is sugar glider safe? It's crazy that we even have to have this issue.

It's a fact that gliders would rather jump more than they run on wheels if they are given a choice.

SFLeBrun, I understand your feelings, I almost bought one too. I had to wait to get my glider safe wheel too. They just did without. I changed out their toys and moved their stuff around every couple of days and had tent time in the mornings before they went to bed to help wear them out. They were fine without their wheel.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: darkmornings] #1387721
03/14/15 01:02 AM
03/14/15 01:02 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline OP
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline OP
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: darkmornings
Xenas stealth wheel cost $40. Less than a sit down dinner for 2 and many more hours of entertainment for me. And many many more for her. There is also a nice piece of mind not worrying that she will get a body part stuck.Totally worth it, and my only regret is my color choice.

Your $20 is already gone, you do have plans to get a better wheel. Can you return your wheel? Could you purchase a new one if you got the money back? If not, then the question would be, is a wodent wheel better than no wheel at all? Im sure its not welded in your cage and can be taken out.

Do you have a URL for a vendor that sells Xenas Stealth wheels? I was not able to find any doing a Google search. I have seen knock-off Stealth wheels listed on eBay though further investigations turned up that those wheels were not very good due to mechanical breakdown issues.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387722
03/14/15 01:04 AM
03/14/15 01:04 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline OP
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline OP
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
I am currently looking into getting a Raptor Wheel. I like the design that the bearing assembly can be detached for cleaning the wheel. I have a question out to the builder about the different stand options.

If I can turn my Wodent Wheel into a safe wheel using Feather's plans and a dead disk drive, then I will be able to use the Wodent Wheel in my travel cage or as a backup.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387724
03/14/15 01:15 AM
03/14/15 01:15 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Quote:
Anyone know if or how to get the manufacturer to stop advertisements that it is sugar glider safe?

Wodent wheels were originally designed for RODENTS like rats, mice and hamsters.

As a matter of fact the manufacturer recommends that Sugar Gliders use the Wodent Wheel - ONE GLIDER AT A TIME and ONLY UNDER SUPERVISION.

This certainly means it should not be left in the cage for the gliders to use all night long.

If you want a stealth wheel - they are manufactured in Florida and usually ship quickly.

Here is the link

http://www.atticworx.com/

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387727
03/14/15 08:20 AM
03/14/15 08:20 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Last week on fb, I saw a picture of a glider who caught their patagium (gliding membrane) on the center bar and got wrapped up so severely, it could not get loose. The Glider did not make it

An unnecessary and tragic, preventable and painful death. Can your sell something, do without cigarettes or brown bag to work, etc., to save enough money for a safe wheel? Maybe borrow from a friend or relative?

As mentioned, gliders don't run like hamsters. They jump and need an open, safe space. I'd rather see no wheel used, than to use a dangerous wheel.

Good luck and kudos to you for being concerned!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1416934
07/15/18 02:55 AM
07/15/18 02:55 AM
LA
Z
ZooVeteran Offline
ZooVeteran  Offline
Z

LA

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1416935
07/15/18 08:20 AM
07/15/18 08:20 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
The second wheel is safer than the first. But not recommended. I personally have an issue with the slots. Gliders could get their toes caught while trying to run and jump.

Gliders jump more than they run.

Having said that, both wheels will need to be cleaned daily due to potty /poo.

The stand is too light and would have to be secured. There need to be 2" clearance on the backside between wheel and stand. Gliders love to hide and if someone gets on it while another is hiding, it could cause major injury.

I have this one which costs more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072C6VTX...&ref=plSrch

If you through the Atticworx website instead of amazon shipping is higher, but you get a selection of colors.

I have had this wheel as long as I have had gliders which is 4years.

Spinzone.com also sells glider wheels which I recommend too. Cost is about the same after shipping. I bought a wheel and treadmill combo and saved even more since I wanted both anyway.

Both of these wheels above have an open mesh that allow potty/poo to pass and gives the glider more control over their running and jumping. Gliders can also hitch a ride on the outside of the wheel which makes them have a lot more exercise value. (Make sure to mount 3" from wall and floor).

I forgot to add the spinzone and atticworx wheels are made with bearings which provides a quieter and faster wheel too.

I hope this was helpful. The investment is worth it.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1416937
07/15/18 09:10 AM
07/15/18 09:10 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
You want to stay away from any wheel with an axle. You would not like the solid track either, you would be cleaning it a lot.

Gliders tend to poop and pee in their wheel. You would be much happier with one of the wheels from Attic works.

Kimberley

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: Feather] #1416943
07/15/18 11:41 AM
07/15/18 11:41 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
The Comfort Wheel does state on the label it has a "Tail Safe" Wheel Design, and it does look different from the one I used years ago.

That being said, you still have to contend with the solid surface which realistically needs to be cleaned daily or it will get very bad within a couple of days.

The new design also states it has Whisper quiet operation. I would have to hear that after a while of running with suggies to believe that, but I suppose it is possible.

As Kim/Feather posted, in the past wheels with axles, especially with the wodent wheel, there have been some problems with suggies getting their tails wrapped/caught in the axle causing injury. Some very bad. The manufacturer has made modifications (tail shield). however, we still recommend other wheels.

For me, the slots on the silent spinner scare me. If the gliders nails are not kept trimmed ALL the time, it is an accident just waiting to happen, and they do not need to be going fast, IMO, for it to happen. Just means the faster they go and get a nail in a slot, it can be ripped off in the blink of an eye.

I've pained a grim picture, but it's worth a little extra money to make sure your gliders have a safe wheel.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1417022
07/19/18 09:21 PM
07/19/18 09:21 PM
Minnesota
Hydrus Offline
Joey Member
Hydrus  Offline
Joey Member

Minnesota
I had to save up for mine. They went 4 weeks with no wheel. I get paid biweekly so took 25 out of each check and ordered the freedom wheel which is on Amazon with free prime shipping.

I just moved toys around and tried to make their cage as fun as possible.

I cant speak to how safe the wodent wheel is with the guard. But just the slim possibility of injury plus the fact it's not a good wheel for how gliders actually use it is enough for me not to use it. I would personally take it out and budget to buy a stealth or freedom wheel smile

Thank you for asking tho! I'm glad you are trying to do the best for them!

Becca

:grey: :plat:
Re: Are Wrodent Wheels safe for Sugar Gliders [Re: SFLeBrun] #1417026
07/20/18 12:21 AM
07/20/18 12:21 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
I used the wodent wheel (with guard) as a secondary wheel for a while before buying a second raptor instead. (With four gliders, two wheels work better.) They never liked it as much as the raptor wheel, it moved around & was tippy enough I had to zip-tie it to feel safe, it was harder to keep clean without taking it completely apart every week, & it also squeaked when they ran on it. Still, they used it, especially Arthur.

If you can't afford better right now or have a small cage, it does work & is safe with the guard. IMHO for not much more money there are better options out there.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024