Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398790
02/09/16 08:47 PM
02/09/16 08:47 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I don't know that it makes a whole lot of difference, but maybe some. My gliders bark from time to time, but doesn't seem to be quite as much since I started using a colored bulb, night light. I started with adding a red bulb to one of the lamps on floor lamp (I had a torch-ere with goose neck floor lamp), I replaced the torch-style lamp with red bulb. After moving to AZ, I had a multi-lamp,floor lamp, one had a red bulb. Now, I have an orange bulb in my ceiling fan light. I don't notice a whole lot of barking, but still some.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398792
02/09/16 09:06 PM
02/09/16 09:06 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Holy smokes...are you saying he was taking the bars of the cage in his and wedging his way out between the bars?!

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398811
02/09/16 11:47 PM
02/09/16 11:47 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Could you post a couple pictures of your original cage. Maybe we can find the place that little stinker is getting out of.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Feather] #1398821
02/10/16 07:24 AM
02/10/16 07:24 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Four gliders still secured this morning! :hdance:

They seemed to still have quite a bit of energy this morning as I was leaving for work. I assume its the smaller cage, single wheel, & less toys/furniture. They do love having a ceiling they are able to climb on, though. I noticed last night they spend a lot of time hanging from it, whether it be by four feet or two. They're also able to get under the raised floor & like crawling around the underside like the ceiling. Good to know, I'll add a grid for a roof on my list of things to look for on the next cage.

I will need to figure something besides straws for the main door, they take too long to remove/reattach when I want in. That, & the gliders want to 'help...' which is NOT very helpful. shakehead

Originally Posted By: Terry
I don't know that it makes a whole lot of difference, but maybe some.

I agree, the red lights doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference, but in the past it was enough to be noticeable on nights they are particularly vocal. I think it helped last night... but it might also have been the beer+pill, lol. It didn't stop them from making a ruckus when I was late for their normal treats before I head to work... which was good since I slept through my alarm blush

Originally Posted By: ComradeFluffy
Holy smokes...are you saying he was taking the bars of the cage in his and wedging his way out between the bars?!

If he was doing it near one of the doors, yeah, I think that was his method. This new cage has slightly thicker bars & he was still managing to get quite a bit of flex from them. Determined bugger. Glad I used to many zip ties & straws.

Originally Posted By: Feather
Could you post a couple pictures of your original cage. Maybe we can find the place that little stinker is getting out of.

I'd be happy to do that! Maybe y'all will see something I've missed. It would be nice to be able to keep it as a back-up. I'll have to use my real camera, I'm not sure my phone will give y'all that great of an picture to tell much in the way of details. I'll also post the translated specs from Amazon.de Thanks!

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398842
02/10/16 03:43 PM
02/10/16 03:43 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Arthur sounds like handful! How many sleeping pouches do you keep in the cage at a time? Mine sometimes sleep separately. Maybe he wants his own space. I also keep a tiny 1 glider pouch so Dot thinks she's observing yet thinks she is hidden.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Ladymagyver] #1398845
02/10/16 04:23 PM
02/10/16 04:23 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
Arthur sounds like handful! How many sleeping pouches do you keep in the cage at a time? Mine sometimes sleep separately. Maybe he wants his own space. I also keep a tiny 1 glider pouch so Dot thinks she's observing yet thinks she is hidden.

He's proving to be... I thought Gwyn was going to be my troublesome one, LOL.

The last couple weeks I've had two pouches in the cage, & they seemed to alternate which they used every few nights. I've only seen one sleeping separately once & that was Merlin.

You might be on to something, I really don't know. I'll watch his behavior & see if there are any more indications along those lines. Thank you!

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1398894
02/11/16 06:32 PM
02/11/16 06:32 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
So far the new cage is still defeating Arthur's great escapes :yes: But they all bark a lot more in this cage :thumbd:

Tried something new tonight for bathroom time. I placed the pouch on the window sill next to the toilet (normally I start them on the toilet lid). I started by bribing them out of the pouch with pieces of mini-yougut treats by gradually placing them farther from the pouch. Then I started placing the pieces on the palm of a hand that I left sitting on the sill. After about 20 minutes, three of them were eating out of my hand with two searched on it. Then they started exploring me.

On top of that, a friend gave me a zip-up hoodie that doesn't fit him anymore (too much gym time). I wore it today for playtime and glad I did, their nails were doing a number on any exposed skin!

I rested my hands at opposite ends of the sill while I sat on the lid of the toilet & just tried not to move too much. For the next 30-plus minutes they all just explored wherever they wanted to, mainly on me cloud9 They tool turns running, jumping around me, & napping in the hood 1-2 at a time. Thanks ComradeFluffy for that tip!!

After a while, I stood to give them a different orientation & they acted like it was all new exploring all over me like it was new again. I loved them jumping from me to various surfaces & back.

Once it was time to call it, I turned on the light & but a hand near their pouch. They all made their way to it over a few minutes, Morgana leading the way... which is where it became funny. She came back out right before the last one (Gwyn) entered, jumped back to me, & went back in to the hood! So I left her there while I returned the others to the cage, made dinner, cleaned their 'presents' from the bathroom, etc. Right before going to bed, I used fleece to pull her out I return her to the cage.

Great night :rock: Only two downsides: I REALLY need to trim all their nails; Merlin & especially Gwyn still like snacking on my hands.

I haven't forgotten about pictures of the old cage, I just haven't had a change to take care of it, yet.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399096
02/16/16 04:34 PM
02/16/16 04:34 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
So this weekend was pretty nice as far as it went for my suggies. Got a decent amount of playtime in with them, I think things are going well. More sessions like I described above. All of them will take a treat from the palm of my hand without much hesitation if I reach in the cage & can pet them them at least briefly while they're munching away. Progress! smile

Gwynevere is really starting to take to me. She regularly allows me to reach in & pet or scratch her, and will allow me to take her out of the cage calmly from a hammock. I think it won't be much longer before she's actively coming to me from her cage, but it is just a guess.

Saturday, I was doing a bit of one-on-one time with Gwyn (by default, really... first one into a bonding pouch, LOL). I was leaving the pouch unzipped so she could keep sicking her head out, but for the most part she stayed clinging to the inside. For whatever reason, I got so sleepy in the afternoon my head was nodding. Since I hadn't had her on me all that long, I decided to go ahead & lay down with her. Still leaving the pouch open, I closed my bedroom door to be safe. I normally can't really nap (especially on my back), but I went out for several hours anyways! I woke up with her still in the pouch under the covers on my belly. I think it was her grooming herself that work me. It was so very nice I think Gwyn liked it to as she was a bit crabby when I tried to return her to the cage.

I also had their first vet appointment yesterday. I'll post a little more description in the thread I have talking about first wellness visits, but the short version is I have four very healthy gliders who all the staff loved & laughed at the antics that is my fur babies. Pretty well behaved if not too cooperative.

Proud papa. cloud9 :lshower:

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399099
02/16/16 05:34 PM
02/16/16 05:34 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Here I was just coming back to upload a pic & new avatar, & what do I see? I'm a Joey member!!! Does this mean I get to have a forever home too? (Not in my line of work *sigh*)

Two pics from this weekend:

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399106
02/16/16 08:49 PM
02/16/16 08:49 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
:thumb2:

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399182
02/18/16 05:47 AM
02/18/16 05:47 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Last night I tried a new homemade toy for them. I put a bunch of mini yoggie drops in an Icebreakers container, then placed that in their cage with the smaller opening popped up. It was hilarious watching them pushing each other out of the way to get a chance to try & get one. Arthur actually Heisman'd Gywn at one point! Thanks for the idea, YouTube.

Another one of those lessons learned. Gywn has reached the point that she'll actively try to jump to me from the cage (YAY!)... when she's in the mood, anyways. I'll have to make sure I'm wearing a shirt when I check on them right before bed. Her rapid scampering all over my back, shoulders, & chest with her needle-like nails was reminding me of my last tattoo! I really need to get a file like the vet suggested *ouch*

Last share for now: Arthur practically barked himself horse starting around 0500 before I finally crawled from bed to see what's up. Why the ruckus? From the four of them waiting on the front of the cage, they wanted their morning treats early *facepalm* Yes, I caved, they each got a large piece of papaya & ran for opposite corners to eat them. They did not get another when I left for work a couple hours later, but from their quietness, the didn't seem to care. I really hope this is not a new trend...

Last edited by Hutch; 02/18/16 05:49 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399212
02/19/16 03:57 AM
02/19/16 03:57 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Last night was a quiet night, they didn't wake me if the barked at all. Woo-hoo, sleep!

Gwyn is definitely wanting to spend time on me. As I was straightening things in their cage & pulling out the previous night's food dishes, she jumped on to my arm, then ran to my shoulder. So happy to have reached that point! I let her continue to crawl around me as I prepared their food, reloaded their cage & toys, set-up my gear for the morning, & began to get ready for bed. Gywn let me pet her & scratch her for a decent amount of time without moving. Unfortunately, it was another late night, so we didn't get nearly the amount of time I would've liked. Apparently she wanted more time too, since she was trying hard not to go back into her cage, lol.

Merlin came over to see what was going on. He's almost ready to start coming to me, I think. He would grab & hold my hand or wrist, but wouldn't fully commit to climbing on board. He would allow some brief pets or scratches before letting go to move away.

Continuing my lesson from last night, a t-shirt does not offer much protection from their nails. My back is looking rough! Must...get...file...

So, yeah, ecstatic about my progress with Gwyn & Merlin. Arthur is coming around, he'll let me pet & scratch for a while when he's around the pouch. Morgana at least looks interested when I'm around & will come to check me out; still timid but takes treats readily.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399422
02/22/16 04:03 PM
02/22/16 04:03 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Not much to update from this weekend. Noticing increasing friendliness & interest from all the gliders, slowly put surely.

:lshower: Gwyn readily comes to me from the cage & it's easier to keep her on me with just a guiding hand it it looks like she's going to make a break for it. Our routine has become me opening the door to pull the kitchen out & straighten the cage. While I'm doing that, she'll use my arm to get out & up to my shoulder, back, or wherever she wishes to perch. I'll close up the cage & she'll stick with me while I go through my evening routine. It's nice since I've been getting home from work real late the last few weeks, at least I get some glider-love time.

The only downside is she still bites. :hit: It wouldn't be so bad if I could count on just fingers as I would just keep them away from her mouth. No, she bites whenever she feels like it. Elbow, wrist, ear, neck, forearm... seriously, anywhere. Maybe half a dozen good bites with another half dozen nibbles in the course of the night; never draws blood (knowing on wood).

I love she loves to hang out with me now, even during her active play time... but not loving those teeth. :hbreak: She seems to be the only one who takes so much interest in me with her mouth. Even Merlin (& Arthur infrequently) has been limiting themselves to my fingers. Thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by Hutch; 02/22/16 04:04 PM.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399428
02/22/16 09:01 PM
02/22/16 09:01 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
sounds like you are making progress man.
I have noticed that...and keep in mind I may be imagining this...
But it seems like overall, but biting is a reflection of overall fear.
Should slowly go away with time.

I hope...

I have two places on the backs of my arms that Gizmo really likes. Whenever I feel him nosing around there I know he's about to start digging.

For one night I had them both taking bites out of the back of my neck...only think I can figure is that I accidentally got something fragrant on my neck somehow...they just had to bite that neck...one night only...go figure.

Overall though, it seems that non-hand related biting has fallen off as the animals become more relaxed around me.

Holding out hope. Otherwise...maybe...tiny, tiny Hannibal Lecter masks.

If I figure out anything that works I will shout it from the rooftops.

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399471
02/23/16 05:26 PM
02/23/16 05:26 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
If anyone has more suggestions, I believe I can use some frown I've been reading through the forums looking for tips again. It looks like most people mention licky treats, but that seemed to get all four biting my fingers when I tried it early on... They didn't bite before I began offering, then Arthur & Morgana stopped a few days after I gave up on the licky treats. Should I give it another shot?

Tonight started as a great night. Gwyn continued what seems to be our new routine of coming to me as soon as the door is open & hanging out while I take care of evening chores. I even started teaching/encouraging her to glide to me. I'd put her on my dining room light (hanging type), step back, then hold my hands out to her. Every time she jumped to me she got a yoggie & a good petting. Three times we did this before she didn't feel like going to the lamp anymore.

I figured out one the reasons she bites: aggressive grooming. I was trying to pay real close attention. I watched how she'd spit in her hands, scratch the area, lick-lick-nibble... Then BITE! It became very obvious when she did it to my arms & was trying to clean the hair before working her way to my skin. I did discover while this was happening that if I gently pushed her head away, she'd stop & more on.

Merlin & Morgana wanted out of the cage too. Cool at first, I just mainly kept trying to corral them onto me or back in to the cage (as opposed to on the cage, their preference). At one point I had the three of them on me, so I closed the door & walked around the house a bit. All's well until we pass near the cage again & Merlin bails off. Easy, I open the cage to allow him in as Mogana leaps for the cage top. As I try to redirect her, Merlin comes back out. Cue the three stooges music. As I continue trying to get Larry & Curly back in to the cage, Moe (Gwyn) has decided my ears look yummy. Stubbornly so.

Once I finally get the two inside, Gwyn trots down my arm, inside the cage & to the water bottle. As I gave each of them a treat, Morgana climbs back on to my hand! So, I slowly pull her out allowing her plenty of time to jump back off, then bring her to my shoulder. Cage closed, walking the house again. Every lap I give her a mini yoggie to show her this is a happy good thing. Not wanting to push her, I take her back to the cage after four slow laps, open it up, & rest my arm near a hommock that Morgana goes towards

I think another reason Gwyn bites is jealousy: Before Morgana is off, Gwyn climbs back aboard & starts biting HARD! I try to gently push her face away like before with a tssk, ow! or her name. She either goes right back to the spot or switches to the finger that just pushed her away. Nor does she want off my hand even once Morgana is on the hammock watching her. I try to pull my hand out of the cage slowly & rubbing her against the bars to encourage to to grab on to that. Nope, nails dig in harder, she doesn't want to go anywhere else. I get her out of the cage & scoop her from my hand on to my chest. So she clambers up to my neck for a few chomps before attempting to give me an ear piercing. I decided I had enough: scoop her off my shoulder holding her tight enough she can't escape (I was thanked with a solid bite on the finger across her chest) & plop her on to a hammock. What the **** Gwyn!?!? Bites still not breaking skin (slightly amazed tonight) but those were some serious bites!

I barely got the door closed before she was on it. As I was tying the doors closed for the night, she kept trying to pull the straws from my hands! She has playfully tried to 'help' me tie the door at night before, but this was aggressive.

Another reason I think it was jealousy is that 10 or so minutes after I walked away, she started barking & would not stop until I came to check on her after 5 minutes of it. She didn't even jump to the front of the cage like when she normally wants a treat, but sauntered over on the closest hammock watching me ears up.

Really, any advice appreciated! Her behavior makes me think of jealousy, but of her colony mate? Isn't bonding suppose to work in all directions? Or is this protective biting after all? Thoughts on that?

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399473
02/23/16 06:16 PM
02/23/16 06:16 PM
Texas
brianjgrs Offline
Out of Pouch
brianjgrs  Offline
Out of Pouch

Texas
Well all I can really say is that you are spending a lot of time with them and every glider is different so there's really not much to say..Just do the tsk noise or whatever yours may be. Just try different things to get them to stop. I take it your not flinching or anything like that or showing fear when they do bite correct? Try and think about their behavior before they bite, if it's the same thing over and over before they bite then well..This means They have figured out biting is a way to get what they want or for you to stop doing something they don't like. My gliders personally, I have trained enough that they just never do it. But for some reason the one and only time they actually do bite, is in the morning right before I go to work while they are still awake and about to go to bed. I still haven't figured out why Boots is doing it, but I will. Anyway you will get it down soon just keep trying different things to try and get them to stop. Also, it seems they are only biting inside the cage correct? that is their territory so biting is normal, like I said with mine. The only time I get bit is when they are inside the cage for some reason it still baffles me.

Last edited by brianjgrs; 02/23/16 06:19 PM.

Sugar Bears: Boots, and Luna.
Gone but not Forgotten I will always miss you: Lina
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399488
02/23/16 09:46 PM
02/23/16 09:46 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Try offering them treats on a spoon instead of your fingers.

Kimberley

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Feather] #1399513
02/24/16 07:56 AM
02/24/16 07:56 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: Feather
Try offering them treats on a spoon instead of your fingers.

Kimberly, do you mean licky-style treats or all treats?

Originally Posted By: brianjgrs
I take it your not flinching or anything like that or showing fear when they do bite correct?

Try and think about their behavior before they bite, if it's the same thing over and over before they bite then well..

Also, it seems they are only biting inside the cage correct? that is their territory so biting is normal, like I said with mine.

Brian, the only time I flinch is when she goes after my ear... that hurts! The rest of the time I'll make a sharp sound then reach with another finger or my other hand & redirect her face if the sound isn't enough. Use to work well on her & Merlin. Unfortunately, 'just taking it' isn't very effective when she gets serious (like the end story from last night)because it's frequently not just one bite, but a major chewing. Very early on I tried to do nothing besides tssk and it went on for like 10 seconds before I had enough.

I've been trying to learn her behavior, like you suggested. That's why I figured out part of the time it's aggressive grooming. The one I can't figure out is the later one after I played with Morgana... whether she was being protective or jealous. I don't think it's cage related, she starts when outside the cage more often than inside. Arthur will nip around the pouch, so I know not to give him to opportunity when he's near it, but that is the only one that seems territorial to me.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399523
02/24/16 11:49 AM
02/24/16 11:49 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Hutch,

Give them their licky treats on a spoon.

Kimberley

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399545
02/24/16 06:11 PM
02/24/16 06:11 PM
Texas
brianjgrs Offline
Out of Pouch
brianjgrs  Offline
Out of Pouch

Texas
Yeah, if it's consistent then defiantly try and get them to stop. More than one bite is a definite nono. Using a spoon as Kimberly said is a good idea and prevents getting bitten. Just keep trying different things and see what works for you.

Sugar Bears: Boots, and Luna.
Gone but not Forgotten I will always miss you: Lina
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399650
02/26/16 10:38 PM
02/26/16 10:38 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
It's 0330 here, so I hope y'all forgive me for keeping it short...

Gwyn is defiantly the most bonded. I love coming home & having her come to me as soon as I open the cage. I've become convinced, however, she gets jelious of me interacting with the other gliders. That's the only time she jumps off me or bites hard.

Arthur, who I originally though would be my cuddler, became the first glider to break skin with chewing (note: chewing... not a single bite). In fact, he's done this two nights in a row now. It's always when I try ti return him to the cage after he's gotten on the outside. I figure he's displeased to be sent back, jelious our Gwyn, or cage protective when I reach in to return him.

Merlin still nibbles but mainly tried to climb outside of the cage & Morgana doesn't come to me or attempt to get outside of the bars, but she readily accepts treats.

I fed them late... I think too busy eating to sleep... so, I sleep now. Zzzz.... Zzzz....

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399651
02/26/16 10:48 PM
02/26/16 10:48 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Oh, I forgot to mention:

Explaining that 'no, I don't shoot up drugs' and 'no, sugar glider is not a new street name for something' due to the marks all over my arms was kind-of amusing.

It was even more hilarious when the officer googled the 'term' to see confirm 'sugar gliders' wasn't the new 'molly' & was confronted with "the cutest animals I've ever seen!!!" I then spend the next ten minutes answering how everything she could think to ask about them, including how to get a few.

I could be upset or annoyed... but her end reaction was too awesome for any of that. It's the little things, some days.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399662
02/27/16 04:44 AM
02/27/16 04:44 AM
Arizona
sugiemom1408 Offline
Glider Explorer
sugiemom1408  Offline
Glider Explorer

Arizona
Originally Posted By: Hutch
Oh, I forgot to mention:

Explaining that 'no, I don't shoot up drugs' and 'no, sugar glider is not a new street name for something' due to the marks all over my arms was kind-of amusing.

It was even more hilarious when the officer googled the 'term' to see confirm 'sugar gliders' wasn't the new 'molly' & was confronted with "the cutest animals I've ever seen!!!" I then spend the next ten minutes answering how everything she could think to ask about them, including how to get a few.

Unsure what you do for a living but I was in law enforcement for awhile, before my disability I can only imagine if one of my fellow officers saw "sugar glider" marks, I might be undergoing a drug test ASAP LOL too cute

sugiemom to Stuart :grey:

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: sugiemom1408] #1399687
02/27/16 08:03 PM
02/27/16 08:03 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Merlin was the first one up as I was swapping their food. He climbed on as I was getting their dish out, so for a ride he went. As I put the food away, the others are out & about, & Melin wants dinner. As he's getting off, Gwynevere jumps aboard.

So, more walking around, showing off the house, & giving her occasional yoggies. After she starts slowing down & settles on my wrist, I'm thinking she might want to go back. So, reach in & align her near a hammock... and she lowers her ears while looking at me. I guess I read that wrong, LOL. As I'm pulling my arm out with her still attach, Merlin jumps back aboard.

Fast forwarding, I go to try & put them both back in. Not only do neither want to go back, Morgana hesitantly climbs on. Went from trying to return two to having three clambering about me. Oh well, hardly going to complain. More yoggies & more walking.

Eventually manage to cup each on & set them on a hammock (I need sleep too, fur-babies). I give them each a couple last yoggies as a treat, & even one for Arthur. Rather than just take it from my like they normally do, Arthur grabs my fingers with his paws & nibbles the yoggie from my hands... & then doesn't want to let go! Just kept nuzzling & licking my finger tips holding on tight.

I love nights like this. cloud9 Good night, GC.

Originally Posted By: sugiemom1408
Unsure what you do for a living

USAF Enlisted.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399692
02/27/16 09:38 PM
02/27/16 09:38 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
mlove

Kimberley

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399705
02/28/16 05:27 AM
02/28/16 05:27 AM
Arizona
sugiemom1408 Offline
Glider Explorer
sugiemom1408  Offline
Glider Explorer

Arizona

Awesome yes I can see why they look at you a bit odd then with all the markings. lol Too funny.

Last edited by sugiemom1408; 02/28/16 05:28 AM. Reason: missed words
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399727
02/28/16 06:30 PM
02/28/16 06:30 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
I wasn't able to catch an image of Arthur, but all four wanted to come out & go for a ride tonight. It was getting them back in to the cage which was the hard part... even after they wanted to take a nap! They crashed out for an hour after I got them into their cage, normally running around like mad during that time.

For whatever reason, Gwyn & Merlin haven't been so bitey... just out of the blue! Not complaining, but maybe a little suspicious on if it'll last. I really love how cuddly Gwyn has been this week hug2 This has definitely been a week where I could use it.

I did try offering them some yogurt on a spoon. For the most part they just turned their noses up at it. Maybe a lick or two, then lost interest. Maybe I need to try a different brand, they love yoggies after all. Then again, Merin almost fell in to the container, so maybe it's the spoon they're unsure of, hmmm.

Still, loving my sudden progress :lshower:

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399744
02/29/16 05:57 AM
02/29/16 05:57 AM
Arizona
sugiemom1408 Offline
Glider Explorer
sugiemom1408  Offline
Glider Explorer

Arizona
Originally Posted By: Hutch

I did try offering them some yogurt on a spoon. For the most part they just turned their noses up at it. Maybe a lick or two, then lost interest. Maybe I need to try a different brand, they love yoggies after all. Then again, Merin almost fell in to the container, so maybe it's the spoon they're unsure of, hmmm.

Still, loving my sudden progress :lshower:

Awwesome keep up the good work, not sure what yogurt you have but I use Yoplait and Stuart turns his nose up to EVERY FLAVOR except PEACH...Mmmmm he LOVES PEACH thought I would just give him variety but no he wants his peach.

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399759
02/29/16 05:49 PM
02/29/16 05:49 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Okay, I'm beginning to figure out that having multiple gliders who WANT to spend time with you after they wake up for the night CAN be too much of a good thing. I ended up struggling for half an hour to get Merlin, Morgana, & Gwyn back in to the cage so I could go to bed! It's a good thing they're so darn cute. cloud9 I need my work to calm down so I'm not there until so late, like I've been all month. I miss our long play times.

Funny thing from tonight: timid shy Morgana is the one that spent most of the evening jumping off me, only to turn around & jump right back as soon as I reached for her. Here I've been trying to teach Gwyn this game & Morgana was like "I got this" shakehead

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1399762
02/29/16 07:57 PM
02/29/16 07:57 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Awesome! That has to feel good. My solution sometimes--rarely--when I can't get them to go quickly back into the cage is to just remove the Vile Sweatshirt and put it in the cage, gliders and all. Got it down to where I can take it off without disrupting them too much. Sometimes they sleep in the sweatshirt, but usually they will move up to one of the pouches.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024