Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1400830
04/04/16 03:57 PM
04/04/16 03:57 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Thank you Dave & Dawn, I appreciate your insights.

And thank you, Kimberly, I really enjoyed reading the tales of Tucker I was able to find when I first started lurking here.

It wasn't a long night, but I got to interact with all my gliders at least a little. It started with Morgana wanting to come out. She made it a flying leap through the opening as soon as the door was ajar. Merlin was just coming out & didn't want to deal with me yet. Arthur & Gwynevere were groggily squinting at me from the top of their pouch, but didn't want anything more than a quick head scratch. So off Morgana was with me to play smile

We did a bunch of jumping exercises. Her aim does not seem to be improving much, hehe. I have a few scratches to prove her scrambles for a perch. Got a pretty good toenail to the eye on one leap that missed my head. Still, I had fun. Pretty sure she did too. I got plenty of steaks & pops per yogurt treat, something she earned every few jumps back to me. After she seemed to grow tired of that, I let her choose a fruit treat & chow down on it (dried coconut).

When I went back to the cage to check on the others, Gwyn came crawling to the door. I let her out & Merlin came to investigate. After dancing around my attempts to give him a scratch, he jumped to me. I spent the next 20min or so with my gliders jumping from me, to the cage or nearby bookcase, them back again. Sometimes I would let them off inside near their food, but they still came back out to me.

At the start of the night, Morgana didn't want anything to do with my hands or fingers, but near the end of the night I was able to scoop her put as easily as Gwyn. Depending on the angle, I sometimes had to pick them up & still had little to no trouble. Was so nice.

Arthur took some convincing to become interactive. I'd give him a couple pets or a head scratch. He'd reach around & grab on to the finger(s) & not want to let go. He also didn't want to let go of the cage, either, even when I had three of his paws holding me. Still, he did deem to crawl on me a little & briefly. Mostly just likes grabbing a hold & licking me.

I did get a few nibble from about all of them, but nothing more than a tasting. I returned all of them to the cage for a final time in a very good mood (speaking for myself). They seemed happy with the last 'thanks for playing/goodnight' yoggie.

Hope all of you got to have some fun unwinding time with your '77 grams of drier lint' (thanks Dave, hehehe). Good night!

Last edited by Hutch; 04/05/16 06:52 AM.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1400959
04/08/16 04:29 AM
04/08/16 04:29 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Last night was fun!

It all started with Gwynevere wanting to cuddle. That's all I can really describe it as... she calmly came to the door, crawled on to my offered hand up to my chest, then just hung out there while I pet her. Then again, it might be she was still waking up, hehehe.

The others slowly made their appearance. One by one they came to join Gwyn: first Morgana, then Merlin. Arthur kept coming over to investigate & perch on the door frame, but as normal, he was undecided if he wanting a ride.

The whole time I was trying to convince Arthur to come join us, the others were leaping off of me to my nearby display case or my wall-clock. I'd have to stop coaxing Arthur & go retrieve them when I'd hear the chewing >.<

Eventually, Arthur allowed himself to me scooped up. YAY!! Off we went, meandering all over my house with the occasional glider flying off at something interesting. I probably toured around with the whole colony for an hour cloud9

Merlin didn't know what to make with my stair's hand railing; he just clung to it once he landed there. I left him to figure it out, but he looked nervous like he didn't know what to do next; his ears were down. Morgana loves the railing, so I placed her on it so 'show' him; no effect. I went back to Merlin and tried just gently petting him so he'd relax or try to squirm away (the latter being his normal reaction). He just clung there, but at least his ears came back up. After maybe 8 or 9 minutes after him wrapped around the railing, I tickled his paws to get him to let go them scooped him back up. Another night, maybe.

Gwynevere liked jumping to the floor and hopping off everywhere she could. She'd make sure I'd see her, then scurry away tail high while I walked after her. Once she reached a dead end, Gwyn would wait until I scooped her up. I really believe she thinks it a game. Silly glider. She did give me lots of opportunities to pet her & especially scratch her rear... she apparently likes that since she halts whenever I do & doesn't move again until I stop.

Morgana just explored EVERYWHERE she could reach. Even the floor. What was cute was how I'd reclaim her. Once I'd get near-ish, rather than just sit there like Gwyn, she'd get a hopping start then leap on to me. It was like "Oh, there you are, I've been looking for you, weeee."

Arthur... made his way around me & accepted much petting, but otherwise no real stories to tell. I was happy I was able to get him to spend time on me. Though, I swear, he produces more *ahem* 'waste' than the other three combined shakehead

Near the end of our playtime (papa-tree needs sleep), I gave them a couple yoggies each. Merlin & Morgana made some loud happy-popping noises. They were clearly unsatisfied with only two each, though, as all of them kept going to my hands & fingers looking for another. When they didn't find one apparent, they tried to nibble or dig for more (really, not how it works fuzzbutts). I might have to save those for the very end of the night.

Well, shortly after I returned tried to return them to their cage. All of them acted like they wanted more time out, even Arthur, but I eventually managed to corral them... well, most. Gwyn was quite insistent she wasn't going anywhere. Even scooping her up & dumping her on a hammock, she was back on me before I could close the door. Hard to complain about that. I have each of them a dried fruit treat (Gwyn took hers perched on my arm) as a 'thanks for playing.' Another five or se minutes of me petting Gwyn while she nibbled away seemed to satisfy her; she allowed me to return her to their wheel after that.

So, yeah, fun night with all four. Much happiness :lshower:

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1400960
04/08/16 06:04 AM
04/08/16 06:04 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Great update man.
I am living vicariously through your life.
It's interesting how they nip or dig for more yogis when the well runs dry. Possibly just their instinctive reaction to running out--dig for more sap!

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1401073
04/12/16 05:05 AM
04/12/16 05:05 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
This update will cover the weekend through yesterday, so it may be a bit long. You have been warned wink

Friday night, three of the four were happy to join me for exploring the house. Gwynevere, for the most part, kept scurrying from one hand to a leg, then to the other hand, & back to a leg. Frequently going down my back. She did not want to hold still that night come pets or butt scratches unless I gave her a treat. THAT she could stop for, LOL.

Morgana was doing her normal jumping for everything & coming back routine. Was still being hand-shy all night, but didn't mind if I played with her tail. Merlin would follow her around when she was on me, but didn't want to jump off unless it was to the cage. He didn't want in, but wasn't inclined to explore anywhere new.
Saturday I fed them early as I was going to be out late. They were all back in their pouch at 0100 when I came home, which is a bit strange. Normally, at least a couple are still out frolicking about (or whatever it is gliders do when we're not watching). Their food was partially eaten, so I wasn't too worried, just hid a couple treats around their cage for when them work up again.
Sunday I was home all day & decided I wanted to work with one again. So, out the sleeping pouch & bonding pouch came, & the first in became my 'victim' for the day. It was Morgana.

At first I couldn't get her to settle down despite being mid-day. Running, jumping, crawling, scurrying everywhere! I tried to wear her out, letting her explore where she wants in the house, but after about half an hour she stopped coming back to me & was making a be-line for the cage instead. I tried to put her in the bonding pouch, but even that wasn't working well.

I did get he in there to stay after about 15min of games & zipped it closed. I tried cupping my hand around the outside so she wouldn't isolated, but she tried to bite me through the pouch. I switched to very gentle petting which allowed her to settle down. When she stopped moving, I put on a movie, carefully cupped her, & tried not to move much (at least until my food came). (That's when I discovered she does NOT like my doorbell! I haven't heard a crab in over a month!)

I took the opportunity to turn the pouch around so the window was facing out (I normally start with it facing me as they seem to settle down faster when it is darker). I ate my lunch while she Morgana quieted again. She also taught me that she does not like me to clear my throat... I got more crabbing from that than the doorbell!

About the time I started the next movie, I slipped my hand in to the pouch. At first she seemed fine with that, I cupped her like another glider. About 10 or so minutes later, Morgana started nibbling on the skin between my thumb & pointer finger. So I adjusted & spoke softly to her letting her know it was just me... *CHOMP* I managed not to jerk out, but petted her a couple more times before withdrawing my hand to see the damage. Yup, thumb was bleeding slightly.

Being stubborn, I slowly put my hand back in to some crabbing, this time using Dave's "The Fist." She stopped crabbing & started licking for a moment. Then nibbling. Then outright chewing on a knuckle. I kept trying to adjust my hand so a new spot was near her (spread the wealth), tssk'ing away to no effect; she had chosen her target. In the end, I used that hand to roll her over & scratch her belly to cover up my "tactical regroup" in the hopes that she wouldn't think she won. Yup, yup, middle knuckle was bleeding too *sigh*

I petted her a little more keeping it short & gentle, then returned her to the cage with a treat. Not the best of times. I really didn't expect that from her, she's been so quite & attentive lately. I guess she's not ready to sleep on her own with me yet.

Gwyn wanted to come out later than night, but no one else. A little playing, a lot of exploring, & even managed to pet her for a while as she settled under my chin. That was at least a good time & she went back to the cage easily.
It was a little later when I got home last night. Morgana made a flying leap at me from out of the cage as I pulled out their food dish, so I guess all was forgiven, lol. Gwyn also came to join her in a little more of a dignified way (aka, a *plop* from above). Arthur only stared from his pouch & Merlin only wanted to sniff me. Oh, well. I was able to give each of the a piece of asparagus from my hand that all four happily took before placing their dish in to the cage.

The sisters & I went all over the house doing basic chores, milling around, or getting distracted by my phone. When I would, they're either come over to poke the screen, try to eat a credit card or the case itself, or bail off of me & go exploring. They kept finding their way to my bedroom *face palm*. When Morgana would see me coming, she'd make a hopping run for me & a flying leap back aboard. Gwyn would see me, stop running around, & wait until I was near her before jumping on to my leg. Still, better than having to play catch the glider, hehe.

I did bring them in to my large bathroom & let them explore a little. When they both ended up on the bathtub edge, I couldn't help but to give them a gentle poke & watch them slide in... several times. The indignant looks I got! HAHAHA. Here are a couple picture I was able to finally capture. My gliders seem to know the difference between messaging on my phone & trying to take their picture. The former they jump off & move away ("I'm bored!!") while the latter then jump on with their pouch (or belly) covering the lens. "WE do not allow our pictures taken" like they're royalty or som... oh. Guess that is my fault... next glider is getting named after a model.

Morgana was a bit nippy last night. Specifically my ears. When play time was over, it wasn't too difficult getting them back in to the cage. Morgana did want to jump back to me, but didn't fight my blocking her like she normally does. Gwyn just gave me a quick nip to express her displeasure then jumped to a hammock. Treats for everyone & a 'good night.'
Well, that about catches y'all up on the latest happenings about the Round Table. Now everyone go & pet your crazy fuzzies, Arthur has decreed.

Last edited by Hutch; 04/13/16 04:53 AM. Reason: Fixed image links

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1401108
04/12/16 05:02 PM
04/12/16 05:02 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Well, tonight started with only Morgana wanting to come out & play... Gwyn was too interested in the strawberries, Arthur was still asleep, & Merlin still just wanted to munch on a finger.

Morgana rode around as I did various things around the house. If she jumped off & I started to walk away, she'd come bounding back to me. I allowed her to try & nest in one of my towels. She seemed to be getting quite frustrated that she couldn't find the opening. After maybe half an hour I took her back to the cage. She was a little resistant, but nothing bad, and once she saw the fruit she was done with me.

But, Gwynevere decided it was her turn. As Morgana jumped off, Gwyn jumped on. So, same thing, carrier her around for a while, but she didn't really seem interested in much besides the ride. Well, besides my hats that she discovered last night. So, I sat down & let her pick a treat out of the big ol'tub of of dried fruit. She perched on my arm & ate away for a while, then I tried to return her.

This is where things went a little south.

Gwyn did not want to go back in. She avoided it by jumping to the back side of the cage & nipping at me as I tried to scoop her up. Also, not that the door was open, Morgana came came out. As I'm still trying to retrieve Gwyn, she decides my ear looks yummy. So, my new priority is getting her back in, earning me more than one good bite. It took multiple attempts (& bites) as they kept working together to get out before I closed the door with all four gliders 'home.' *sigh* It was so pleasant up until the last eight or so minutes.

I go upstairs & lay down... just to have one of them start barking like crazy! After several minutes I get a little worried since this is much too early for their normal barking. I go down & its Gwyn (not surprising) & she doesn't want to stop again. I open the door, pet her, talk to her, nothing. Merlin & her were sitting on the same hammock. He kept trying to grab my finger with his paws then bite me. He tried to play it off as grooming, but a moment later... lost some more skin to him.

Arthur was sitting quietly for a change, so I gave him some petting too, but her soon retreated to the pouch. Trying to pet his head in there earned me a few nibbles; I guess he's in a mood.

So, I went back to trying to consul Gwynevere about whatever got her worked up to still be barking away. She finally stops, grabs my finger, sniffs it... *NOM!* Yeah, ouch, she managed to get under the nail. Still stings. They definitely seem to go through phases on how bite they are. Unfortunately, they're getting bigger, their bites stronger, & my fingers stay the same. :tant2:

I did manage to get a couple more pictures today :jump2:

Gwyn: "This hat is a little big for me."

Me: "Gwyn, you're getting a little chubby. Less yoggies, more wheel."
Gwyn: "Should we get your second chin's opinion on that?"

Morgana: "Your big fluffy pouch doesn't open right."

Morgana: "You left a little supper on your leg, let me just clean that up for you."

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1401120
04/13/16 09:13 AM
04/13/16 09:13 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Haha! Awesome man. Love the pics. All that biting doesn't sound good though. Sorry about that...I feel your pain there.

This is going to sound gross but...
After handling mealworms, I have taken to rubbing my fingertips with rubbing alcohol to kill the scent of the worm.
Barring that, I stick 'em in the ash tray. (the fingers, not the worms).
Maybe something on your fingers that they can smell, that we can't?

Also...and forgive me in advance---this is me talking above my game here, but...

What if you tried changing the bedtime ritual a little?

Try pulling their sleeping pouch out of the cage and offering it to them before bed. See if some or all will get in...or can be *lured* in. Then put the whole pouch of them in together.
Just thinking that if the evening ritual of "going to bed" is starting to become a negative for them, they might be getting more resistant to it, and are acting out with the biting. (teenagers!)
A hail-mary guess. My problems are more around getting them to come OUT of the cage.

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1401131
04/13/16 05:25 PM
04/13/16 05:25 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Dave, you might be on to something concerning the routine; its hard to tell. Unfortunately, it seems to happen in phases & I'm having trouble figuring our the rhythm even looking back. I do wash my hands all the time, so I don't *believe* its a lingering scent; even tried different soaps just in case. Worth thinking about further, in any case.

Maybe changing the ritual is along the right track. Let me make sure I understand your suggestion: When they're on me crawling around & its bed time, I their sleeping pouch from the cage to offer it to them in order to see if they'll crawl in? Did I understand you correctly?

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1401138
04/13/16 08:54 PM
04/13/16 08:54 PM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Yeah...maybe lure them with treats into the bag. Then place the whole bag back in the cage while they are eating the treats.

The next time they look up, they are in the cage. Minimal conflict bedtime.

I know what you mean about phases. Trying to crack the bite-code. I never let them grab my fingers anymore--that is like them tee'ing up for a long drive. I feel like when they grab my fingers they are thinking, HAPPY-HAPPY YUMMY TREAT! MUST BE INSIDE THIS FLESHY MEATBAG!

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1401175
04/15/16 11:30 AM
04/15/16 11:30 AM
MD
EnzoAndCarmella Offline
In Pouch
EnzoAndCarmella  Offline
In Pouch

MD
I've had a lot of fun reading your posts! Your gliders all sound like quite the handful.

With you being USAF you must be either really lucky or some fancy-pancy officer or something to be able to have gliders! wink

:grey: :grey:
Carmella is more brown than grey, but I don't see that option! tounge
Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: EnzoAndCarmella] #1401177
04/15/16 07:56 PM
04/15/16 07:56 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Dave, I tried your suggestion last night... apparently they're too smart for that. Morgana & Gywnevere either completely avoided it, reached in & pulled out the treats, or just clung to the outside until the pouch was inside the cage & ran back up my arm. Brats.

Gwyn, Gwyn, Gwyn shakehead

So, after I finished changing their bedding, Gwynevere decided she wanted to go for a ride. Well, I was still trying to get things ready since I had a date & didn't know how long I'd be out. So, of course, she decides I'm being boring & jumps off every two or three minutes to go explore. Gwyn would go up the stairs, or down the stairs, or around to the living room, always leading me on a chase until deciding she was tired of hopping along. Then back to me, ride back to the kitchen where I was trying to prepare their dinner, get bored... rinse & repeat. What should have taken five minutes was closer to 15. Then there was getting her back in to the cage since she apparently wasn't done exploring. Yeah, I was running late to my date. Probably lost some brownie points there.

Fast forward to after dinner. The lady is going to come over because we discovered over dinner a mutual love of cribbage. I have about half an hour before she'll arrive & Gwyn was making squeaky noises whenever I'd walk by. So, I allow her back out thinking I let her run around more. Instead, she just chills on me looking half-asleep. Crawls around me some, learns the shirt I was wearing had a pocket on my chest, & curls up there for quite a while. I really kept thinking she was going to fall asleep heart Then Gwyn started trying to eat my shirt ohwell When she got tired of me discouraging that, she CHOMPED my nipple through the shirt: OW-OW-OW-OW!!! Right about then, the door bell ringss which scares her out of the pocket & on to my shoulder. Well, it stopped the biting.

I let my lady-friend in & she immediately spots Gwyn peaking over my shoulder. Much ooo'ing & aww'ing with Gwyn being surprisingly cooperative, especially since my fur-babies haven't met anyone since coming to me. She accepts quite a bit of petting, head scratches, & chin scratches, even lets my lady play with her tail. I took her over to see the other gliders & Gwyn actually jumps TO her, no prompting... color me shocked. Mind you, the moment I moved even a step away, she was back on me, but still. I got MAJOR brownie points back because of Gwyn. She got two yoggies for her 'assistance.' grin I almost (almost) forgot out the nipple-chomp (in case I didn't mention it: OOWW!!).

My lady actually went out of her way to ask their names again & say goodnight to each of my gliders before she left (after skunking me at a game of cribbage, I can't remember the last time someone managed that!). Tonight was good!

Originally Posted By: EnzoAndCarmella
I've had a lot of fun reading your posts! Your gliders all sound like quite the handful.

With you being USAF you must be either really lucky or some fancy-pancy officer or something to be able to have gliders! wink

Thank you, I really appreciate hearing that Enzo & Carmella! They can definitely be a handful, but a mostly entertaining one. Wouldn't dream of going back & changing anything. Well, maybe starting with my current cage...

While I do feel lucky to share my home with these four crazy bundles of joy, I must disagree with your statement that the AF would be an issue. Short of being assigned to one of the few places they're not legal, they'll be able to follow me as I move. They're also not so expensive that my enlisted paycheck can't manage them... my last dog cost me more in six months than these babies have, even with being on my third cage.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Glider of the Round Table [Re: Hutch] #1401182
04/15/16 08:12 PM
04/15/16 08:12 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline OP
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Well, ladies, gents, & gliders of all colors... this will mark the 100th post for this thread; also known as 'the limit.' I've started a new thread & plan to pick up right where this one leaves off. Thanks for sticking with me this far & I look forward to continuing this journey with all of you!

The saga continues in 'Gliders of the Round Table 2.'

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 376 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,578 TEXAS
679,077 OHIO
487,158 OKLAHOMA
432,162 UTAH
321,687 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024