Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Please help me #1409912
05/16/17 07:26 AM
05/16/17 07:26 AM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
I'm not new but, I didn't know where to go for help. I have way to many questions to ask in one place. I lost another glider this weekend. I have only 2 left and I'm completely out of money and scared for Mom.

I will try to simplify what's happened from the beginning. I was given a pocket pet glider from my sister (Xena). I came here and learned a little more than I knew when I agreed to take her. She needed a friend and a bigger home, I got her both, the friend was an unneutered male(Rex). I got him neutered and introduced them and it worked beautifully until he died. I searched for another companion glider for Xena, and found Belle. A year younger than Xena was young enough, she wasn't a baby but, was living with her mom and dad and needed a new home. Yay, sterilizing gliders in my county is really expensive and 2 girls that are used to company have a good chance of working.. So she was pregnant and I was advised not to put them together in case Xena killed the babies before they were even born. New cage and a whole new glider set up. Belle had 2 babies (Ren & Weiss). Ren died very young. Belle took it really hard. So I had Xena in one cage and Belle & Weiss in another, I was going to try to put all 3 together but, Weiss would not accept Xena. Soon Weiss got huge and I was afraid to keep trying. Belle and Xena are both tiny girls. Xena has been "alone" most of her life. She is my daughters companion and her classes pet glider.(high school vet assistant program)

Weiss died this weekend. I want to put Xena and Belle together. I moved her to Xenas old pocket pet little cage right next to Xenas cage. I can not afford new anything. Is there a way to get the territory smells out of the bedding or the cage? They have lived in the same room for a long time. Do they already have each others scents? How long should I keep them near each other before I attempt an introduction. It's been 3 days. Belle has/had a big cage but, it smells like her and Weiss. I don't know what to do. Help

-Melanie
:grey: Belle

:rbridge: Rex :rbridge: Xena
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409913
05/16/17 07:41 AM
05/16/17 07:41 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
A complete thorough cleaning of the cage is in order. 1 part cider vinegar to 3 part water.

Can you take their cage outside to clean? It would be less messy and you would be able to hose it down and dry in the sunshine. If you take it outside, wash with Dawn dish soap first, follow with vinegar.

Launder their bedding in washer with a cup of vinegar, soak if necessary. Put in dryer without dryer sheet.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409914
05/16/17 08:01 AM
05/16/17 08:01 AM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
Taking everything outside is absolutely possible, Belles old cage is already out there. I didn't know what to do about the soap and smell situation for Xenas cage. They are the same size but Xenas cage is nicer and higher off the ground. Thank you.

I have vinegar, a lot of it because I use it to clean my house. Maybe if I wash both sets of bedding together, it will pre mix any remaining scents?

-Melanie

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409915
05/16/17 10:25 AM
05/16/17 10:25 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Maybe. If nothing else it should all smell the same.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Please help me [Re: Ladymagyver] #1409920
05/16/17 11:15 AM
05/16/17 11:15 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Do you have any idea the reason for the gliders passing? Had they been sick that you could tell? How old were each of them? Do you know why the joey died?

I have not gone back to look at your previous posts, so could you tell us what diet you are feeding? It might be very helpful in answering some of these questions.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409922
05/16/17 11:34 AM
05/16/17 11:34 AM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
I don't know why they died. I am guessing that it was a breeding defect of some sort. The joeys were belles and her dads. The boy died when he was 3ish months, the female,the one that died Saturday was 2 years. Neither showed any sign of sickness.

I feed them bml mixed frozen veggies, and melons every night, Pellets during the day. Usually there is fruit and some veggies left in the mornings.

-Melanie

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409923
05/16/17 11:46 AM
05/16/17 11:46 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
You have them on a good diet, so if they are eating most of the staple each night, that should not be the problem.

Originally Posted By: darkmornings
Yay, sterilizing gliders in my county is really expensive

If you cannot afford to have the males neutered so there are no further joeys,
then they should be kept separate from the females because you have no idea of the lineage for these gliders. As you mentioned there very well could indeed be breeding defects that are being passed down.

If it were me, I would not take any chances of more joeys.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409924
05/16/17 11:53 AM
05/16/17 11:53 AM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
I do not have any male gliders. I haven't had any in a few years. I got Belle to replace the male I bought for Xenas mate, he was neutered but, he passed away. I didn't know belle was pregnant when I got her. She had 1 male and one female. The male passed away. Saturday the female died.

-Melanie

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409938
05/17/17 08:27 AM
05/17/17 08:27 AM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
Should I wait to introduce them? How soon is too soon? These are 2 female gliders. Belle has never been a single glider. Xena has been a single glider for most of her life but, had a friend for a very short time.

Belle is still eating her staple but, leaving fruits and veggies. Since she wasn't alone, its hard to tell what amount is normal for her alone.

-Melanie

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409939
05/17/17 10:38 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
You will need to keep them separate until the joey is at least 8 weeks, otherwise the female that isn't carrying could pull the joey.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409940
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
The life expectancy of a sugar glider in captivity is 10-15 years. Before putting the two together I would take them to the vet and make sure they are both healthy. If it were me, I would also have a urine and fecal test.

Since Xena is a companion to your daughter, I would take extra care before I would start intros.

You can click on the word vet and it will take you to a database to find a vet in your area.

Here is the link for intros if you choose to move on to introductions.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/..._Ea#Post1407885

I hope this was helpful.

Please keep us posted on their progress.

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 05/17/17 10:42 AM.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409941
05/17/17 12:47 PM
05/17/17 12:47 PM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
I think I'm confusing everyone, right now, I'm confusing myself. I'm very scared for Belle and the things I mean to say may not be coming out quite right. Ive had 5 gliders in the past 3 years (approximately, te years, not gliders) I currently have 2. I have Xena and Belle. Both are tiny females. Neither have joeys.

First, there was Xena. She is a pocket pet glider. My sister and her son gave her to me and my daughter because they weren't spending enough time with her. My daughter is a reader and a vet student. She spends a lot of time with Xena They cuddle and bond when my daughter is reading and doing homework. Xena has biweekly field trips to school. Xena has her own cage in the vet room.

Then came Rex. I got him shortly after Xena. He was an obese, male, unneutered glider. I was told that he was young. My first "wellness check" and neuter consult was a nightmare. The vet told me that he was already neutered. Since he smelled really bad, had a huge bald spot on his head, and had what was pretty obvious to me, boy parts dangling, I went for a second opinion.The new vet checked him over and we scheduled a neuter.. When that was done + 1 week, I introduced Xena and Rex. They hit it off immediately and all was well for a very short time. Rex died, the vet thinks it was a trauma of some sort. Xena was checked over and was fine.

Next came Belle. I was still certain Xena liked and needed a companion. Belle was young and was still living with her mom and dad. She was friendly with people and used to having other glider company. I brought her home. I noticed her belly when she would do certain things in her quarantine cage, like when she would hang or stretch with only her back legs on the cage.Even though she had no parasites, I was advised not to introduce the girls to each other because Xena would probably kill the babies before they were even born. I bought Belle a new bigger cage, new pouches and a few new toys. Xena did not have a new friend, I had no more money to try again.

Belle had 2 Joeys. A male and a female. Ren and Weiss. Belle was a much better mom to Weiss and maybe that was a clue as to what would come. Ren didn't live very long. Belle was in really bad shape when her died.. She Stopped washing herself and wouldn't eat unless I fed her from empty milk caps. Her baby girl wasn't enough to snap her out of the depression. The vet didn't have a cause for these things. The baby girl was in great shape. One day she did snap out of it. I think Weiss must have cleaned her up because she didn't look as good when I would do it. Maybe she washed herself. Everything was ok, until now.

Weiss died Friday night. I found her Saturday morning. So far Belle is doing ok but eating less than I think she should. I won't be able to get her into the vet for at least a week and a half unless she starts showing true signs of distress. My vet will only take my Amex card for a true emergency. It was so awful when her other baby died that I am on over alert and very panicked

Thank you for any and all advise. Also for you patience.

-Melanie

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409943
05/17/17 02:30 PM
05/17/17 02:30 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
First I am sorry for your loss of Weiss. I can understand why you are upset and maybe frustrated. But we will get through this and help you.

Questions:

How old are Belle and Xena?

You want them to share a cage?

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409944
05/17/17 02:40 PM
05/17/17 02:40 PM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
Xena is 5, I'm pretty sure that Belle is 4. I would like them to share a cage for Belles sake. It would probably be good for Xena too but, I don't think she knows or has forgotten what she's missing.

-Melanie

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409945
05/17/17 02:44 PM
05/17/17 02:44 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Is that years or months old?

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409946
05/17/17 02:50 PM
05/17/17 02:50 PM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
Years, I'm sorry.

-Melanie

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409947
05/17/17 02:57 PM
05/17/17 02:57 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Ok. It is pretty easy to tell if Xena is interested.

Swap their sleeping pouches first, and observe Xena. Do this every other day. She should sniff around, crawl in and look around for the other glider.

Do this in the morning before she goes to bed for the day. Observe here reactions. And let me know what you see.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Please help me [Re: Ladymagyver] #1409955
05/17/17 08:06 PM
05/17/17 08:06 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Sorry for you losses.

Yes, wash all their fleece together, I believe that will be a good idea. With vinegar, most if not all smells should be neutralized, but if any remaining, they should at least smell alike which is pretty much the same thing.

Mingle their scents as much as possible, and I agree to observe their reactions to each other. Another way to observe is to put both in a separate bonding pouch during the day and wear them next to each other/overlapping. If they remain quiet, turn so mesh windows face each other and continue to wear them this way as often as possible, observing their reactions to each other.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409965
05/18/17 07:01 AM
05/18/17 07:01 AM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
This morning I pulled out both of the girls pouches. I pushed the cages completely together while I was awake to watch. Belle grabbed at Xena and Xena looked at her like she was crazy and made a psh noise at her. This happened a few times. No crabbing, just the weird noise. I'll find the audio section and try to figure out which noise it is. It didn't sound mean. Almost like the bathing spit sneezing sound but, louder. When I put the pouches back in the cages both girls jumped right in. There was no investigating, just real bath noises.

-Melanie

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409966
05/18/17 08:24 AM
05/18/17 08:24 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
First of all, if you are going to try to do introductions, do not do it in separate cages. This will cause them to each be territorial over their space.

Take them both in the bathroom during the day time. Take each of them out of their pouch and place them in the tub. You will know how well it will go. If they ball up, you probably will not be able to introduce the two together without doing pouch swapping or you may not be able to pair them up at all.

It is NOT a crime to have single gliders. Especially if the glider is used to being a single. They will not die if they have the proper housing, diet and mental stimulating toys (not fleece items such as bridges/hammocks/vines).

Again, do NOT place the cages close to each other, this DOES cause territorial issues and you can ruin any chances you may have.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409967
05/18/17 09:35 AM
05/18/17 09:35 AM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline OP
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline OP
Joey Member

Miami, FL
They are together and they are ok. One of them hisses every once in awhile. It's the noise I heard earlier so it's probably Xena. They made no noises in the tub at all. Xena just stood there and Belle introduced herself. Then Belle ran around, and climbed on Xena and Xena still just stood there. No crabbing or balling up. I put the bonding pouch and they both went in. I have them around my neck now and will keep them there unless there is a problem

My daughter compared the bath tub to gladiators coliseum. It's what was in my head the whole introduction. Gladly it didn't turn out that way.

-Melanie

Re: Please help me [Re: darkmornings] #1409968
05/18/17 09:51 AM
05/18/17 09:51 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted By: darkmornings

My daughter compared the bath tub to gladiators coliseum. It's what was in my head the whole introduction. Gladly it didn't turn out that way.

:roflmao2:

That's great! Keep us posted on their progress. :thumb2:

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 430 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,691 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024