Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New everything #1414221
01/15/18 05:47 PM
01/15/18 05:47 PM
Atlantis
billytense aka Lisa11 Offline OP
Joey Member
billytense aka Lisa11  Offline OP
Joey Member

Atlantis
With all the remodeling I've been doing I want to take a break and I decided to remodel the glider's room so everything got removed and cleaned and then I started rebuilding and realize that I'd seen a crop of bamboo about half a mile from my house so I went out there at night and took some bamboo that had fallen and cleaned it up and trimmed it and now it's hanging all around the ceiling so you can go all the way around the room and then crosses in the middle so very ropes and chains hang down from that toys and treats stuck in various little places and some homemade ropes going back and forth

I also did a little Supply cabinet that has everything I need in there for them and now they have a see a 2-gallon water supply at the drinking fountain and then I ordered a motorized Mountain for them we're going to try that out and see how they like it I moved my desk in there so I could work and still kind of be near the gliders in case they get up and want to play and I got all that done it took all day I was tired
Anyway it was time to let them out and I was ready for the Big Show and they went on to the floor and apparently the big attraction that evening was my desk because they were all over it and playing with my pencils in my computer and stapler and just everything that you know isn't a toy eventually they climbed up some ropes and checked out the bamboo but I think that might just take some time but I think I don't feel like having high places to plop down onto my head from

One thing I noticed the other day as I was hiding treats and I decided to toss one into the bottom of the plant bucket holder thing and I missed and it went towards Wendy and it was Wendy grabbed it on one bounce like just snagged it out of the air and I was just like my mouth fell open I was in disbelief that her reflexes were that good.

So the whole room is officially there's there's room for expansion everything they need is in there and there's its escape proof one of my questions was that would it help future jailbreaks and I'll tell you about that in a second if I introduce them to the rest of the house would they be less curious about getting out there and checking it out or is that just a recipe for disaster saying like hey here's the rest of the world but I'm not let you see it right now.

The jailbreak I'm talking about as I put up a little window screen across the door because it's gets so hot in there I needed some air and usually I sit with my back to the screen and there's just really no way to get around and get out there today I was sitting a few feet away facing it and Wendy ran over she look back at me and I just said no and she jumped right up onto the screen and I said no again and I grabbed her and she fell down and then she just leaped over the screen and took off for the bedroom so then we played the waiting game where I go in there and just wait for her to finish doing whatever she's doing and then s she went back into her room pretty willingly.
I think that's about it it's been a real Joy watching them explore the new environments and I'm probably get them some new toys this week and who knows I guess I'm a couple weeks I'll have to change it all around but I don't mind it's a it's a fun thing to do. Take care you guys sand v as always thanks for everything

Last edited by billytense aka Lisa11; 01/15/18 05:48 PM.

Great googley moogley

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414222
01/15/18 09:01 PM
01/15/18 09:01 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Getting an entire room glider proof is quite a challenge.

Are you considering this as out of cage play?

In their room, All nooks and crannies, electrical outlets, curtains, cubby holes need to be glider proofed.

As far as the entire house, there are dangerous places like the kitchen, fridge, stove, any standing water, jugs, jars, toilets, cupboards with plumbing in bathrooms, sinks, tubs, washer/dryer vents. They can squeeze in a hole less than an inch in diameter. They like dark places, and I've heard of people tearing in to a wall because a glider was trapped between the walls.

Then there are issues with pesticides, what you use for cleaning your house, if a mouse can get in, a glider can escape.

We have a pocket door in our RV. Those are especially dangerous. Recliners, hidabeds, this list goes on and on.

You may be ticking these things off in your head, what you have and don't have to worry about, but all it takes is 1 toilet lid not closed, a cupboard door not completely shut... Dishes standing in water in the sink, a jug of milk or juice sitting open on the counter, cooking.... Gliders have a tendancy to jump when startled, not necessarily in a safe direction.

Walking across the floor, plopping on a cushion chair...

Mine run loose supervised occasionally, but we are bonded, and they stay in the room we are in. When they become fixated, on a no-no area, they go back to the cage, and are restricted to bathroom or tent time. A good example of fixation is Dot to hubby's gun cabinet when it's open. It must smell like food. He can be right there, and Dot has to go in. Back to the cage she goes....

Anyway, just rying to give you a small list of hazards to think about. I hope it was helpful...

sounds like you've made quite a room for them to romp and play! I wish we had bamboo close at hand...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New everything [Re: Ladymagyver] #1414227
01/16/18 03:17 AM
01/16/18 03:17 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
A good example of fixation is Dot to hubby's gun cabinet when it's open. It must smell like food. He can be right there, and Dot has to go in. Back to the cage she goes....

Oh does the gun cabinet bring back memories. My brother's girlfriend at the time had ferrets. Well they let them loose in their room which happened to be his shell loading room.

Well they opened up his cabinet with all his loaded shells and proceeded to empty it. After that he added a lock to that cabinet. :roflmao2:

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New everything [Re: Feather] #1414229
01/16/18 04:20 AM
01/16/18 04:20 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted By: Feather
Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
A good example of fixation is Dot to hubby's gun cabinet when it's open. It must smell like food. He can be right there, and Dot has to go in. Back to the cage she goes....

Oh does the gun cabinet bring back memories. My brother's girlfriend at the time had ferrets. Well they let them loose in their room which happened to be his shell loading room.

Well they opened up his cabinet with all his loaded shells and proceeded to empty it. After that he added a lock to that cabinet. :roflmao2:

Lol! I think it's the oil, but wow!

Hubby does his reloading in our hobbyroom/ sewing/quilting room... His space in a 12x24' room is about 6×8'. That is if you don't count the RC Airplanes hanging from the ceiling. Oh and the motorcycle gear on the top shelf.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: New everything [Re: Ladymagyver] #1414230
01/16/18 11:47 AM
01/16/18 11:47 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
I literally crawled over the room inch by inch before I moved them in. Covers on outlets, no cords, no nooks or crannies. Etc.
I think it's considered out of cage play. They usually don't have any problem going back into the cage when they are tired. Then they eat .
After all that decorating they still love the office chair and the stupid child's shoe storage thing from Aldi's. (It's got like thirty pockets for shoes.... Or sleepy gliders).
I think I will keep them in the room for the time being,. When I sand the floors and b stain they are going to have to live in my r room and have just tent time ( guess I'll be setting that sucker on my bed!

Ok

Might cut off v the bottom row and put it in the cage.
Thing I'm wrestling with now is that the vet said my cage might be too cluttered they might want to jump back and forth. So I took a couple of hanging things out. But now it looks boring. Still have dinosaurs. Army men and Barrell monkeys but that's it.

Also caved and ordered that wodent wheel and some eucalyptus branches. I figured I could get Apple branches myself.
Any one have any thoughts on an automatic fountain/water? They already get Brita water so it b would be that in a controls cycle.
Hmm also, Wendy found my ear last night and I thought to myself, aww how cu--- CRUNCH!
Not a bad bite but it surprised me a little,
Shoot I gotta go.

Great googley moogley

Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414234
01/16/18 04:25 PM
01/16/18 04:25 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: billytense aka Lisa11
After all that decorating they still love the office chair and the stupid child's shoe storage thing from Aldi's. (It's got like thirty pockets for shoes.... Or sleepy gliders)
They're like cats & children... you buy a big, expensive, fancy toy & all they want to play with is the box.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414243
01/16/18 09:52 PM
01/16/18 09:52 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I literally crawled over the room inch by inch before I moved them in. Covers on outlets, no cords, no nooks or crannies. Etc.
I think it's considered out of cage play. They usually don't have any problem going back into the cage when they are tired. Then they eat . After all that decorating they still love the office chair and the stupid child's shoe storage thing from Aldi's. (It's got like thirty pockets for shoes.... Or sleepy gliders).

sounds like a real nice out of cage play area, I'm sure they'll learn to enjoy it, give them time to get bored with your chair, :rofl2: The shoe organizer sounds like a fun "supervised" play area, maybe hide toys and treats in some pockets dunno

I think I will keep them in the room for the time being,. When I sand the floors and b stain they are going to have to live in my r room and have just tent time ( guess I'll be setting that sucker on my bed!

Been there, done that, it can work, depends on size vs size. On my qn sz bed, the gengi pop up worked okay, but now I'm downsized to full sz, and it's kinda cramped in my very small space, doesn't work as well. I have to fold the floor under too much here. But it can work in many cases. At least it's safer. I keep my monsters corralled to a specific area of my room for out of cage play, it means complete devotion to paying attention to what they're getting into, can be tough with a pair if they split up, but I could manage my trio okay. Of course I've had mine for years and we kind of know each other pretty well. lol.

Ok

Might cut off v the bottom row and put it in the cage.
Thing I'm wrestling with now is that the vet said my cage might be too cluttered they might want to jump back and forth. So I took a couple of hanging things out. But now it looks boring. Still have dinosaurs. Army men and Barrell monkeys but that's it.

Some gliders like a busy cage, others don't. Pay attention when you design a cage setup, what they use, and how they move about the cage. Most cages aren't really big enough for full-on glided, but some do like to jump. My Ollie is a hopper/jumper around the cage, prefers to then climbing bars, my girls always just scampered around the cage bars easily (vertical bars). It can take some time and experimentation, but don't worry too much about it. If they get time out of cage to really move about, that could be plenty, as long as they're not too restricted in the cage.

Also caved and ordered that wodent wheel and some eucalyptus branches. I figured I could get Apple branches myself.
Any one have any thoughts on an automatic fountain/water? They already get Brita water so it b would be that in a controls cycle.

Most of us won't use or recommend the wodent wheel, it's fine for other animals but for sugar gliders, the axle is a problem for their movements in a wheel. I have no clue about water fountains, as long as they can't drowned or get to wet and get chilled I guess not a problem.

Hmm also, Wendy found my ear last night and I thought to myself, aww how cu--- CRUNCH!
Not a bad bite but it surprised me a little,
Shoot I gotta go.

I'm pretty sure it's Ollie, but it coulda been one of the girls that found my ear once, and it doesn't stop after that, always going for the ear, one or the other, ouch!

From a previous quote, can't quite remember how to add them in. You mentioned how Wendy caught a treat off a bounce, lol yes their reflexes are awesomeness! I watched Skadoosh catch a house fly in mid-air!

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414263
01/18/18 07:50 AM
01/18/18 07:50 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
Damnit I thought that wodent wheel was a good thing, but your right they use it but don't really run. More money wasted because I didn't read enough.
On the bright side, I finally got around to feeding the girls some live crickets!
I can't be bothered with the freezing so I made a cricket Hitler,. ( It's hotel but damnn auto correct, you funny). So within seconds, Wendy bolts in and Grabs the cricket and then scammers off like golem with the ring and greedily devoured it. Lucy followed suit but are more like a lady

Great googley moogley

Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414264
01/18/18 03:58 PM
01/18/18 03:58 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I did the same with wodent wheel, first wheel I purchased only to find out it's severe drawbacks for suggies. I turned it into a playbin for a while, which was kinda fun for Skadoosh, the only one I ever really saw in it, lol. Eventually, I just saved the solid round bottom and found uses for it here and there, so it never was a complete waste.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414269
01/18/18 07:52 PM
01/18/18 07:52 PM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
Well the little fountain I got is a hit. I'm trying to get a pic of both ladies up on hind legs taking s drink. I also put a big tiger and dragon in the cage, I put a cricket or honey in the mouth and watch the girls make out with them. Hee hee!

My eucalyptus sticks came today so tonight should be fun for us, I plan on trying them out as well...

Great googley moogley

Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414271
01/18/18 08:00 PM
01/18/18 08:00 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Well the little fountain I got is a hit. I'm trying to get a pic of both ladies up on hind legs taking s drink. I also put a big tiger and dragon in the cage, I put a cricket or honey in the mouth and watch the girls make out with them. Hee hee!

My eucalyptus sticks came today so tonight should be fun for us, I plan on trying them out as well...

Looking forward to seeing fountain!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414290
01/19/18 03:08 AM
01/19/18 03:08 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
My suggie trying out her new watering hole https://imgur.com/gallery/G71dC

Great googley moogley

Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414291
01/19/18 03:10 AM
01/19/18 03:10 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
Ooh now I can post some of the pics!!!!

Great googley moogley

Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414293
01/19/18 03:20 AM
01/19/18 03:20 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis

Great googley moogley

Re: New everything [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414297
01/19/18 08:03 AM
01/19/18 08:03 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Ha! I saw a glider!!! Oh... I mean a gliding glider! Cool!!!

The water fountain is intresting! I've never seen anything like that before!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: New everything [Re: Ladymagyver] #1414303
01/19/18 11:48 AM
01/19/18 11:48 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Very interesting fountain and cute picture. How much water does that fountain hold? Do you leave it in there 24/7?

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New everything [Re: KarenE] #1414310
01/19/18 04:03 PM
01/19/18 04:03 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: KarenE
Very interesting fountain and cute picture. How much water does that fountain hold? Do you leave it in there 24/7?

Yes, I would like more information on your fountain, how deep is the water in it. just worried about them climbing into it.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New everything [Re: Feather] #1414330
01/20/18 10:16 PM
01/20/18 10:16 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I finally had several spare minutes to look at all your pics and vids. I had to do it in intervals though.

My thoughts & questions

1.Your gliders look really good, their coats look great and tails nice and full.
2. What diet are they on? i know you mentioned it, but I'm sorry to say I don't remember.
3. I like the bambo in the playroom, awesome!
4. What kind of tree is that?
5. Was that a humidifier in their room?
6. You can tell you love and are devoted to Lucy & Wendy.
7. The piggyback vid, did you mention that before in one of your posts?

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024