Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HELP! Diet Concerns #1421896
01/18/20 02:54 PM
01/18/20 02:54 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
I am new to owning sugar gliders but have had experience owning and rehabilitating a wide variety of animals. One was 3 months and one was 5 months. I have had them for about 3 months. I have done a lot of research regarding what diet to feed my girls. If I am honest, the more research I do the more confused and nervous I get!

They are both under a year. The breeder advised me to do a mixture of frozen mixed fruit, frozen mixed veggies, plain applesauce, yogurt, OJ and Glider-Cal all blended together and frozen in cubes which I thaw out. She advised a protein along with it. As well as oats.

I have been doing what we call the purée ever since. I removed the fresh protein and oats and free feed them Glider Complete for the protein and other nutritional value. I also provide a daily mixture of glider approved fresh fruits and veggies with some Glider-Cal mixed in. And occasionally a small amount of dried mealworms - which I think only one of my girls actually eats. Of course I have a variety of snacks: dried fruit, yogis, eucalyptus branches, honey sticks, and crunchy snacks... spoiled! LOL!! My girls are insanely picky and get bored with their food very quickly.

I am I doing this right? Am I checking all the boxes?? Coat looks nice, good fluffy tail, normal looking stool but pretty stinky for such little things. crazy

I sometimes feel like when they first wake up they are a bit groggy and don’t really want to move or when they have been running around they will just stop and like stare and barely move. Not sure if that is normal. Once they fully wake up they are back to their normal hyper selves.

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

My fur babies consist currently of two female suggies, Maple and Honey. My rescue cats, Max and Nala and my rescue pup, Izzo.

I have fostered and/or rehabilitated a variety of animals but I am new to being a glider slave but loving it!
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: HELP! Diet Concerns [Re: KateS] #1421897
01/18/20 04:54 PM
01/18/20 04:54 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
The diet you're using sounds a bit like the TPG diet. It is very popular, but not proven to be nutrionally sound.

It's not a good idea to put fruits and vegetables in the blender. Just chop up in to 1/2 - 1" cubes. When it's blended, they can't spit out the insoluble fiber that can lead to problems in their digestive tract.

I have had mine on BML, but we travel a lot and it's not easy to make and store in a 5thwheel freezer along with the salads.

I now use Critterlove complete (just add water) while traveling and Critterlove plus when we're home. I make up their specific salads too. I find mine do best with Critterlove.

As far as when they sit absolutely still, mine do this too. As long as they are resuming play, it's fine. They sometimes are just taking in their surroundings, or watching the others play.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: HELP! Diet Concerns [Re: KateS] #1421898
01/18/20 08:12 PM
01/18/20 08:12 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
Thanks for your reply!! When I give them their salad I typically do 2-3 different fruits and 1-3 different veggies. They are so darn picky! I have even tried adding honey to entice them. Nope they will pick out and only eat the low calcium items or not at all. Little buggers!

I am afraid that if I don’t put it in their purée they will not get any vegetables. They eat mostly all of their purée most days of the week typically leaving some thick stuff on the bottom.

I know I am a little weird but I really like the idea of me making their meals by hand, both their salads and the other. I was hoping the glider complete would help with any missing nutritional needs.

I guess I never thought about them not being able to spit much with the purée. Is there something you can suggest that I can make by hand that would be similar but better for them?

We also will be bringing our babies with us camping the majority of the summer.

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

My fur babies consist currently of two female suggies, Maple and Honey. My rescue cats, Max and Nala and my rescue pup, Izzo.

I have fostered and/or rehabilitated a variety of animals but I am new to being a glider slave but loving it!
Re: HELP! Diet Concerns [Re: KateS] #1421899
01/18/20 09:49 PM
01/18/20 09:49 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
So here's an article:

"Sugar Glider Won't Eat Vegetables & Fruits? | Critter Love® - Sugar Glider Pets, Food, & More!" https://www.critterlove.com/sugar-glider-wont-eat-fruits-veggies

Many glider slaves go through this. Including me...

She has great advise on this matter, and I'll be honest, the truth kinda hurts, but she's right.

If you still have questions, or concerns, please ask.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: HELP! Diet Concerns [Re: Ladymagyver] #1421900
01/18/20 10:07 PM
01/18/20 10:07 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
That was amazing advice!! I have never thought about the changes in the moon and weather. I live in Michigan so we have very diaristic weather changes. I have wondered about their cycles however.

I am going to switch to more veggies less fruit and start a journal. I am going to ask my hubby to stop with the treats. He gets home pretty late and goes straight in to see them and he always gives them each a yogi or two. We will also do tent time at night and the treats flow on the nights we do that. I am also going to research some staples to see which one I feel is best, I will definitely keep your recommendations in mind!

Thank you so much again!!

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

Re: HELP! Diet Concerns [Re: KateS] #1421901
01/18/20 10:15 PM
01/18/20 10:15 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
thumb :urwelcome: wave

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: HELP! Diet Concerns [Re: KateS] #1421902
01/19/20 01:11 PM
01/19/20 01:11 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I agree with the advise Dawn has given you. I also recommend Critterlove diets. I also prefer Happy Glider kibble by Pet Pro. It is the only kibble I will put in their cages.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 404 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,578 TEXAS
679,077 OHIO
487,158 OKLAHOMA
432,162 UTAH
321,687 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024